The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

George North frightening statistics!

+34
Knowsit17
asoreleftshoulder
ultra
overlordofthewest
aucklandlaurie
Biltong
Woodstock
Feckless Rogue
blackcanelion
slartibartfast
nganboy
english warrior
wales606
maestegmafia
mckay1402
nathan
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
OzT
Taylorman
stlowe
glamorganalun
thomh
gelodge
RubyGuby
rodders
mystiroakey
HammerofThunor
eirebilly
red_stag
Rory_Gallagher
Chunky Norwich
damage_13
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
gnollbeast
38 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

George North frightening statistics! - Page 2 Empty George North frightening statistics!

Post by gnollbeast Mon 06 Feb 2012, 1:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

I know it's early days and I got slated many times before for bigging this boy up, but he has exceeded over and beyond even my wild expectations of him so far.

If the current trend continues, George North could potentially be:

Wales most capped player
Wales record try scorer

If he stays mainly injury free and was to play till he was 34 (like Shane Williams) the statistics are through the roof. Bearing in mind Shane Williams spent 2 seasons away from Wales duty when Hansen was in charge and he still got a hell of a lot of caps and tries.

STATS

North has played for Wales for 15 months (since Nov 2010).

He has scored 10 tries in 17 appearances.

If we average him on 10 tests a year (5 six nations, 2 or 3 summer tours and a few autumn internationals)

By the time he is 34 he could have:

157 caps & 82 tries

Jonah Lomu was 20 when he ran over England in 1995. George North is 19 now and he runs THROUGH people.

gnollbeast

Back to top Go down

George North frightening statistics! - Page 2 Empty Re: George North frightening statistics!

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 08 Feb 2012, 7:49 am

Woodstock
I dont really have a problem with anything youve said in the last couple of posts,but the part where you say that SBW is in the same category as Gavin H is a bit tough on SBW,Yes theyre both 2nd 5 8ths but one went boxing (of a fashion) while the other went dancing...bit of a difference....
On North, great for Welsh rugby therefore great for World rugby.......

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

George North frightening statistics! - Page 2 Empty Re: George North frightening statistics!

Post by overlordofthewest Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:42 am

Can we just enjoy watching the boy play. Hes on form, playing well we dont have to compare him to past players or big him up.

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Wed 08 Feb 2012, 10:36 am

aucklandlaurie wrote: Woodstock
I dont really have a problem with anything youve said in the last couple of posts,but the part where you say that SBW is in the same category as Gavin H is a bit tough on SBW,Yes theyre both 2nd 5 8ths but one went boxing (of a fashion) while the other went dancing...bit of a difference....
On North, great for Welsh rugby therefore great for World rugby.......

Yeah I see what you mean, it was not the comparison I was trying to make, and SBW does not need an orange suntan! It was the sameness in wanting to stand out from the rest I was directing it at. I do feel if there was enough $$$ in it SBW may be tempted to be on some form of TV show, he likes the limelight and will do anything for cash if we are honest. Good luck to him I say, he is a good union player but now he has been found out the flair has gone and he seems to get the final 15 mins on the park with the AB's. We know he'd get the full 80 with the Kiwis in league.
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed 08 Feb 2012, 11:17 am

What I like about North is the fact that he is more than just a big speed freak. He has great vision and soft hands to give a scoring pass under pressure. He can also step at high speed too so he's like a bigger, better version of Shane...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 08 Feb 2012, 11:24 am

As i have posted before. North has exellent contact skills and has a very good rugby brain. He is a good rugby player first and foremost.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by ultra Wed 08 Feb 2012, 1:03 pm

Is it possible that the welsh are even worse than they're english neighbours for building up players to superstar status massively prematurely? Big lad, good skills and a bit of pace. Promising start lets see what happens next....but surely these stats are very tongue in cheeks?
He's not the biggest winger, the most skilful winger or the quickest winger but a decent combonation of the three......

ultra

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 08 Feb 2012, 1:14 pm

Yeah didn't Ashton have similar stats and there was rightly only derision when the English fans hailed him as the best in the world and reinventing wing play.
Don't make the same mistake with North he has huge potential but putting this kind of expectation on a young mans shoulders is rarely a good idea.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 08 Feb 2012, 1:16 pm

I very much doubt North will build up to 157 caps and over 80 tries. He'd have to undergo remarkable (or legendary, impossible and unbelievable may be better terms) consistency and fitness throughout his career for that to become a reality. As has been cited he's thus far displayed a good mixture of skills and has flourished in one-on-one's or even occasionally two or three-on-one's but I'd be surprised if he didn't come up against tighter and better prepared defences in future. That of course could be great for Wales, having him suck in unreal numbers of defenders, as long as we can keep the opposition guessing.

North has enjoyed quite possibly one of the greatest starts to his career a player has ever had and has already stacked quite a phenomenal number of records for his age. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited as feck for the possibilities this unlocks for Wales but for now anyway things can only get tougher.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 08 Feb 2012, 1:19 pm

His lived up to the hype so far. Came in,scored. Got injured, came back, scored. Had a break between torunaments, came back ...scored.
There comes a point where you have to say, the kid is proven.

Beyond that most of the hype is just a joke, George North is the new Billy Twelvetrees/ Chuck Norris

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 08 Feb 2012, 1:26 pm

Btw I wouldn't be surprised if Scotland put a lot into smothering North on Sunday and by the end of the game he'll have done almost nothing and been largely anonymous. As I've said already Wales can still use him if he sucks in defenders but if that's the case then you can expect the stick to come pouring into this thread, just as much as into your similarly insightful read on Gatland not taking Scotland seriously and fielding a lot of subs Rolling Eyes

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:18 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Btw I wouldn't be surprised if Scotland put a lot into smothering North on Sunday and by the end of the game he'll have done almost nothing and been largely anonymous. As I've said already Wales can still use him if he sucks in defenders but if that's the case then you can expect the stick to come pouring into this thread, just as much as into your similarly insightful read on Gatland not taking Scotland seriously and fielding a lot of subs Rolling Eyes

Thats precisely what Wales want though, if North is marked that leaves space for our other dangerous strike runners.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:26 pm

IronMike wrote:
Knowsit17 wrote:Btw I wouldn't be surprised if Scotland put a lot into smothering North on Sunday and by the end of the game he'll have done almost nothing and been largely anonymous. As I've said already Wales can still use him if he sucks in defenders but if that's the case then you can expect the stick to come pouring into this thread, just as much as into your similarly insightful read on Gatland not taking Scotland seriously and fielding a lot of subs Rolling Eyes

Thats precisely what Wales want though, if North is marked that leaves space for our other dangerous strike runners.

Yeah workled wonders for England with Ashton. Scotland were so concenrned with marking him they left space for our incisive midfield to exploit

Tumbleweed

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 08 Feb 2012, 3:40 pm

Oh they left space alright, only difference was England aren't intelligent enough to exploit such gaping holes, Wales will be Cool

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:08 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Oh they left space alright, only difference was England aren't intelligent enough to exploit such gaping holes, Wales will be Cool

Really,you didn't get that he was making that point I mean he even put the tumbleweed smilie to make it extra obvious.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:10 pm

ultra wrote:Is it possible that the welsh are even worse than they're english neighbours for building up players to superstar status massively prematurely?

No.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 08 Feb 2012, 4:18 pm

And now I notice the tumbleweed. Could've sworn it wasn't there last time I checked Doh

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 08 Feb 2012, 6:45 pm

IronMike wrote:

That's what was supposed to happen with Roberts as well. But it took a while to learn it then. Perhaps the lessen will be learned quicker this time. Also you've got to convince the idiots who think that because other players are being successful in the side it doesn't mean he's gone rubbish.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:10 pm

I would counsel restraint in the adulation being heaped upon North by the Welsh fans. Many of you on here will be too young to remember Barry John, although you will undoubtedly have heard of him. He retired from rugby at the eage of 27 (I think) and he has been quoted since then as saying that it was the pressure of expectation from Welsh rugby followers that made him retire.

George North is a very talented player as many above have said, but ... he is only 19 and setting him up at this age as a legend in the game is setting him up to fail. Be gentle with him, laud what he does well and be kind on those occasions when he fails (and there will be games in which he plays badly). But for heavens sake don't go OTT with him.

ps I am sure we were told he was 19 when he first played for Wales 15 months ago. How long is he going to stay 19? Whistle

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:31 pm

ps I am sure we were told he was 19 when he first played for Wales 15 months ago. How long is he going to stay 19?

Actually he was 18 at the time of his first cap, I think he turns 20 in April.

But point taken. Although I think there's plenty of difference between the excitement that'll stack up on a forum and in real life. In reality people will go to Cardiff on Sunday shouting for Wales, not George North. Of course you'll get some exciteable idiots whether here or in real life who'll do their best to blow things out of proportion (such as the guy who leaned on Sam Warburton in a restaurant and had a picture taken without Warbs' consent) but I'm faithful that in the end the sensible make up the majority.

I've regularly been in contact with people who've come across members of the Welsh squad in everyday life and spared them the celebrity treatment. I saw Warren Gatland and Shaun Edwards in a pub at Cardiff Bay last summer and although I was slightly tempted to offer a handshake, they looked like they were enjoying their meal in peace so I let them be (with a little convincing from my mate Rolling Eyes )

Last edited by Knowsit17 on Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:37 pm

KiaRose wrote:
ps I am sure we were told he was 19 when he first played for Wales 15 months ago. How long is he going to stay 19? Whistle

That is a frightening statistic!
Still playing for Wales in 2086

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 09 Feb 2012, 11:49 pm

North isn't fast - he slows down time.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 10 Feb 2012, 12:04 am

nganboy wrote:North isn't fast - he slows down time.

But he also speeds it up by causing the earth to increase its rotation when he runs - thats why it looks like normal time to us mere mortals.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 10 Feb 2012, 5:40 am

George North kick starts boeing engines to warm up his calves.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Fri 10 Feb 2012, 6:22 am

George North warms up the sun.
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 10 Feb 2012, 6:37 am

I wonder if George North can sing as well as Tom Jones too?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 10 Feb 2012, 6:38 am

When George North has piles, everyone suffers. Yahoo
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 10 Feb 2012, 6:38 am

Biltong, you worry me at times Run
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 10 Feb 2012, 6:39 am

eirebilly wrote:I wonder if George North can sing as well as Tom Jones too?

George North allows Tom jones to sing. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 10 Feb 2012, 6:40 am

No need to worry mate, I have caught the North virus, or is it perhaps the North Star? George North frightening statistics! - Page 2 3933776953
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 10 Feb 2012, 6:41 am

That sun in SA is frying your brain mate, need to come to euorpe and feel a good cold to get back to normal Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 10 Feb 2012, 6:46 am

A poem for all the north fans.

George north is my hero,
I will never shun him
He breaks the line at will
Of him the supporters get no fill

George North warms up the sun
and kick starts boeings for fun.
When George North as piles
he removes them manually with files.

George North feels no pain
He can stop a train
He teaches superman to fly
He makes grown men cry.

George is my hero
Everyone else is a zero
We fills us up with pride
As long as we can go with for the ride.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 10 Feb 2012, 6:47 am

eirebilly wrote:That sun in SA is frying your brain mate, need to come to euorpe and feel a good cold to get back to normal Very Happy

Thanks for the diagnosis, I knew something was wrong. Rolling Eyes
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Fri 10 Feb 2012, 6:48 am

George North is a male voice choir
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 10 Feb 2012, 6:49 am

laughing
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 11 Feb 2012, 11:24 am

http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-2012/rugby/story/159251.html

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Sat 11 Feb 2012, 11:44 am

Ahhh the 'Page not Found' story Whistle
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 11 Feb 2012, 2:29 pm

It was a spoof article claiming he had been crowned "king of the wingers" in a ceremony at a welsh castle, as 8ft tall, and could run 100m in 9.7 seconds. Apparently a lot of people thought it was true, so they had to pull it.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 11 Feb 2012, 6:43 pm

Dont get carried away there will always be setbacks and injuries that disrupt careers. Johnny Wilkinson started off early but those early years took a toll and he missed many seasons in the end due to persistent injury.

The body can only take so much, if a player lasts 10 years then their lucky and most Welsh back line players are normally done by the time their 32 anyway.

He's fantastic but remember we were all fast and athletic as teenagers, North wont be that fast in 4-5 years time as his body changes shape. His body will settle down at about age 22, then change again as he hits his 30's. Gareth Thomas was a winger once but he moved to center in the end due to naturally losing his speed.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sat 11 Feb 2012, 7:50 pm

Over-hyped. Think he's a good player. Soft hands for a big guy. Can't build a team around a winger.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Sun 12 Feb 2012, 5:46 am

This has truly got out of hand Sure he is a good player but by the way the welsh are going on about him you'd think he single handidly invented our beautiful game , single handidly won the world cup and brought world peace to the globe !

Manu Tuilagi also ran straight through irelands midfield and has a 1% less average try/cap ratio. You sure the english raved about him but nothing on the scale in wich the welsh have. Besides getting into the Welsh team he hasnt achieved anything. No 6nations winners medal, no world cup winners medal , no Lions cap (but i have no doubt this will change).

He has a long away to go before he deserves to be mentioned in comparison to jhona , Shane And Jason robinson.

Do him and every one a favour and leave him to it instead of hyping him up and building up this great expectation of him.

that being said i look forward to him demolishing some scots censored
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Sun 12 Feb 2012, 6:21 am

EngInAuck wrote:This has truly got out of hand Sure he is a good player but by the way the welsh are going on about him you'd think he single handidly invented our beautiful game , single handidly won the world cup and brought world peace to the globe !

Manu Tuilagi also ran straight through irelands midfield and has a 1% less average try/cap ratio. You sure the english raved about him but nothing on the scale in wich the welsh have. Besides getting into the Welsh team he hasnt achieved anything. No 6nations winners medal, no world cup winners medal , no Lions cap (but i have no doubt this will change).

He has a long away to go before he deserves to be mentioned in comparison to jhona , Shane And Jason robinson.

Do him and every one a favour and leave him to it instead of hyping him up and building up this great expectation of him.

that being said i look forward to him demolishing some scots censored

He has not got a long way to go for anything, it is happening every game.
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Sun 12 Feb 2012, 6:26 am

Woodstock wrote:

He has not got a long way to go for anything, it is happening every game.

He is 19 he has no international trophy to his name (or club but i could be wrong) he has a long way to go before he becomes a legend of the game.
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Sun 12 Feb 2012, 6:31 am

In a team game you need not win awards at International level to become a Legend.

I think you also know that it is just not the Welsh hyping this guy up.You live in NZ so would know how some of the sports pundits over here are bigging him up too.
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Sun 12 Feb 2012, 6:37 am

Woodstock wrote:In a team game you need not win awards at International level to become a Legend.

I think you also know that it is just not the Welsh hyping this guy up.You live in NZ so would know how some of the sports pundits over here are bigging him up too.

True they have mentioned him quite a few times but not taking anything away from the guy at all. The pundits south of the equator are terrible i wouldn't be surprised if they get their Northern Hemisphere rugby knowledge straight from the Daily mail. Had one guy predicting an Ireland victory against France this weekend and also stating that "BOD will put a man of the math performance in , because he wouldn't have like losing to wales at home" to which he was told that BOD wasnt playing against france and that he was out if the tournament. drumroll
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Sun 12 Feb 2012, 6:43 am

EngInAuck wrote:
Woodstock wrote:In a team game you need not win awards at International level to become a Legend.

True they have mentioned him quite a few times but not taking anything away from the guy at all. The pundits south of the equator are terrible i wouldn't be surprised if they get their Northern Hemisphere rugby knowledge straight from the Daily mail. Had one guy predicting an Ireland victory against France this weekend and also stating that "BOD will put a man of the math performance in , because he wouldn't have like losing to wales at home" to which he was told that BOD wasnt playing against france and that he was out if the tournament. drumroll

I agree to a degree with you. I am usually amazed with some of the Kiwi pundits who are seriously lacking in NH rugby fact especially the 6 Nations, but that would work both ways I suppose. George has not won anything and if the post you deleted where he has only been on wth winning side 44% of the time is true that is not a probem. Wales are in transition and they are gelling and getting better each game. I am sure George will become a legend, even if it is only Wales.....although the Lions will expand on that.
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Sun 12 Feb 2012, 6:56 am

Woodstock wrote:

I agree to a degree with you. I am usually amazed with some of the Kiwi pundits who are seriously lacking in NH rugby fact especially the 6 Nations, but that would work both ways I suppose. George has not won anything and if the post you deleted where he has only been on wth winning side 44% of the time is true that is not a probem. Wales are in transition and they are gelling and getting better each game. I am sure George will become a legend, even if it is only Wales.....although the Lions will expand on that.

I can live with that mate and yeah i posted it , read your comment and realised that you were right and the stat doesnt realy prove anything! haha I shall be asleep when the scot encounter is on TV but have a good one Ale
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Sun 12 Feb 2012, 8:15 am

EngInAuck wrote:
Woodstock wrote:

I can live with that mate and yeah i posted it , read your comment and realised that you were right and the stat doesnt realy prove anything! haha I shall be asleep when the scot encounter is on TV but have a good one Ale

I am going to crawl out of bed at 3-45 to watch the game. I can never SKY+ Welsh games, hae to be live !!! Then off to work and stop off at a cafe for a bowl of flat whit with 3 extra shots and a bacon buttie.
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2