The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

George North 'big enough

+9
eirebilly
hugo124
pedrojones
mystiroakey
Biltong
miteyironpaw
flankertye
Glas a du
Cymroglan
13 posters

Go down

George North 'big enough Empty George North 'big enough

Post by Cymroglan Sun 12 Feb 2012, 12:24 pm

Six Nations: George North 'big enough' warns Warren Gatland

Wales coach Warren Gatland hopes teenage wing George North "does not get any bigger" and says the player will be advised not to add much more muscle to his already impressive frame.

Measured at 6ft 4in and 16st 5lb on the Welsh Rugby Union website , North, 19, has scored 10 tries in 17 Wales games.

His last score came in their opening Six Nations win over Ireland in Dublin.

"He's big enough as he is, I think. He's still young, he's still growing," said Gatland.

"We've got to make sure that he doesn't get too big.

"And one of the things he's got to work on is that he's very big, very powerful and very fast and the temptation there is to spend too much time in the gym and forget about your speed and power.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/16993104
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As he gets older he could well lose a yard or two but surely then he would be moved infield.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

George North 'big enough Empty Re: George North 'big enough

Post by Glas a du Sun 12 Feb 2012, 12:35 pm

I'm glad they are learning the lessons of Shane Williams' career.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Feb 2012, 12:59 pm

Articles like this really annoy me for some reason, they make it sound like you hit the gym and the muscles just come piling on, this only happens when you use certain supplements. Building lean muscle mass takes years naturally.

North has a muscular frame for his age, all he needs to do now is to focus on explosive power/strength and endurance which is a completely different kind of training compared to the typical bodybuilders mass building routine. The only way North is going to get bigger is if hes eating too much - which is down to coaches to dictate.

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Sun 12 Feb 2012, 1:02 pm

That's nonsense. He's only 19, you don't stop growing naturally until you're around 21. He'll fill out a tad, and maybe grow another inch but they're not just gonna pump him with steroids

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Sun 12 Feb 2012, 1:03 pm

Isn't he similar in stature (albeit slightly shorter, smaller and lighter) to NZ's new 7 star Frank Halai? What is the word in NZ? Are they telling Frank not to get any bigger?
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 12 Feb 2012, 1:09 pm

They would if he becomes less effective and that goes for all positions.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 12 Feb 2012, 1:24 pm

Sorry but how many pounds in a stone?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Sun 12 Feb 2012, 1:25 pm

Yeah, metrics please guys. You wouldn't want the site to be in violation of European law surely?
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Feb 2012, 1:33 pm

Always liked this

George North 'big enough 14v63rn

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 12 Feb 2012, 1:39 pm

Searched it on the internet there are 14 pounds to a stone.

There is as close as damn 2.2 pounds in a kilogram.

So

16 stone
X 14 pounds
-----------------------
= 224 pounds + 5 pounds = 229

104 KG's

Yep that is big enough.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 12 Feb 2012, 1:40 pm

you got it

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by pedrojones Sun 12 Feb 2012, 1:42 pm

North is predicted to be 9ft4 and 33stone before he's 22.

pedrojones

Back to top Go down

Post by hugo124 Sun 12 Feb 2012, 1:47 pm

This guy is just a freak of nature and should get even bigger just for the crack of having a lubriciously big guy on the wing.I wonder if he will turn into another Jamie Roberts who was good for one season , brilliant on the lions tour(mostly due to Drico) and then just have a total drop in form like most welsh players.Eg James Hook,Ryan Jones,Lee Byrne,Jamie Roberts.The only full time brilliant player Wales had in the professional era was Shane Williams.

hugo124

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Feb 2012, 1:54 pm

hugo124 wrote:This guy is just a freak of nature and should get even bigger just for the crack of having a lubriciously big guy on the wing.I wonder if he will turn into another Jamie Roberts who was good for one season , brilliant on the lions tour(mostly due to Drico) and then just have a total drop in form like most welsh players.Eg James Hook,Ryan Jones,Lee Byrne,Jamie Roberts.The only full time brilliant player Wales had in the professional era was Shane Williams.

You know someone posted that Lions 1st test game on here and I was watching bits, it was actually Roberts that linked up well with BOD, he made the initial breaks and offloaded to BOD, sometimes BOD would do the same, this whole myth that Roberts was made to look good by BOD on the Lions tour is complete nonsense - they had a good centre partnership understanding and that was it.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 12 Feb 2012, 1:55 pm

If you think that George North is freakishly big dont come to Holland. Pity Gibbo and i for being tiny men in a land full of giants. My nephew is 17 and is already 1mtr 98 and 110 Kg's. Scary thing is, he is one of the smallest in his group Yikes

If the Dutch ever decided to take a better interest in Rugby then i am sure that they could churn out some big players.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 12 Feb 2012, 1:55 pm

pedrojones wrote:North is predicted to be 9ft4 and 33stone before he's 22.
I think you misread that mate, that was only his left nut.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Southampton Osprey Sun 12 Feb 2012, 2:28 pm

NO player is good year in-year out...Shane Williams had a huge drop in form prior to the last Lions tour. As for Hook, Byrne and Roberts - all returned from South Africa injured. The lack of game-time resulting from that led to a drop in form. hugo124 should watch a few more games before snap-judging players. O'Gara went on his first Lions tour, got loads of sympathy for being high-tackled and suffered a ten year form blip. The only reason he's won so many caps is the lack of 10's in Ireland.

Southampton Osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by pedrojones Sun 12 Feb 2012, 2:42 pm

biltongbek wrote:
I think you misread that mate, that was only his left nut.

I meant 22 months

pedrojones

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 12 Feb 2012, 2:46 pm

eirebilly wrote:If you think that George North is freakishly big dont come to Holland. Pity Gibbo and i for being tiny men in a land full of giants. My nephew is 17 and is already 1mtr 98 and 110 Kg's. Scary thing is, he is one of the smallest in his group Yikes

If the Dutch ever decided to take a better interest in Rugby then i am sure that they could churn out some big players.

Well they have already produced Visser so they could be on their way...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sun 12 Feb 2012, 5:01 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
eirebilly wrote:If you think that George North is freakishly big dont come to Holland. Pity Gibbo and i for being tiny men in a land full of giants. My nephew is 17 and is already 1mtr 98 and 110 Kg's. Scary thing is, he is one of the smallest in his group Yikes

Yeah aren't Holland the tallest nation in Europe if not the world? And shame that Scotland have taken Visser for their own use.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 12 Feb 2012, 5:08 pm

Looseheaded wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

Yeah aren't Holland the tallest nation in Europe if not the world? And shame that Scotland have taken Visser for their own use.

Why would there be shame in that?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 12 Feb 2012, 5:08 pm

Yey!!!! Yahoo
Wales will finally have someone who can win us lineout ball!!

Far more important that any big strong winger! Whistle

Southampton Osprey wrote:NO player is good year in-year out...Shane Williams had a huge drop in form prior to the last Lions tour. As for Hook, Byrne and Roberts - all returned from South Africa injured. The lack of game-time resulting from that led to a drop in form. hugo124 should watch a few more games before snap-judging players. O'Gara went on his first Lions tour, got loads of sympathy for being high-tackled and suffered a ten year form blip. The only reason he's won so many caps is the lack of 10's in Ireland.

Yup but in Wales players are picked on reputations, players can get caps for years in the British and Irish teams while playing like a tít.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 12 Feb 2012, 6:35 pm

Looseheaded wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

Yep they are, i am 6ft and i have a constant sore kneck from looking up at them all the time.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 12 Feb 2012, 6:37 pm

AlynDavies wrote:

Yey!!!! Yahoo
Wales will finally have someone who can win us lineout ball!!

Far more important that any big strong winger! Whistle

Southampton Osprey wrote:NO player is good year in-year out...Shane Williams had a huge drop in form prior to the last Lions tour. As for Hook, Byrne and Roberts - all returned from South Africa injured. The lack of game-time resulting from that led to a drop in form. hugo124 should watch a few more games before snap-judging players. O'Gara went on his first Lions tour, got loads of sympathy for being high-tackled and suffered a ten year form blip. The only reason he's won so many caps is the lack of 10's in Ireland.

Yup but in Wales players are picked on reputations, players can get caps for years in the British and Irish teams while playing like a tít.

Only when SCW is in charge
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down