The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

France - Ireland one win in 40 years....

+38
Sin é
Messymesina
MBTGOG
KiaRose
Notch
The Great Aukster
damage_13
RubyGuby
Knowsit17
Mad for Chelsea
Chunky Norwich
Jenifer McLadyboy
flynnnio
WillyGilly
caoimhincentre
Glas a du
geoff998rugby
majesticimperialman
ChequeredJersey
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
HERSH
Golden
Feckless Rogue
Hound_of_Harrow
mystiroakey
asoreleftshoulder
SecretFly
dublin_dave
marty2086
overlordofthewest
Gibson
gnollbeast
Rory_Gallagher
red_stag
rodders
Standulstermen
eirebilly
ME-109
42 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

France - Ireland one win in 40 years.... Empty France - Ireland one win in 40 years....

Post by ME-109 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:49 am

Regardless as to whether we had beaten Wales off the park last week it is a fact that our record against France is as bad as our record against SH nations. Our win ratio is terrible and we have beaten them only 9 times in the last 40 years. We have only won twice in Paris back in 72 and lately in 2000 when BOD scored the hattrick (against what was arguably one of the weakest French teams put out).

So if Ireland win next weekend in Paris it will be a major victory for us. The French when they play Ireland enjoy the occassion completely as they never expect to lose (regardless of how their clubs are doing in the HC).

So who expects us to do well or are we on a hiding to nothing? What if we go there and win, does that vindicate Kidney as coach or as has been said with games like Australia it was the players wot won it not the coach....

With all the wailing and gnashing of teeth and the usual suspects (specifically Leinster supporters) blinded by there own infallibility (in other words our players who are doing so well in the HC - against mediocre opponents - cant play that badly due to their own inadequacies so therefore it is down to the coach) moaning about Kidney....what is the expectation next weekend.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

France - Ireland one win in 40 years.... Empty Re: France - Ireland one win in 40 years....

Post by eirebilly Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:56 am

Well i actually feel positive about the game. I think that Ireland can win. I havent picked them to win but do feel as if they can.

I would be very tempted to start ROG at 10 and Sexton at 12.. I know that sounds weird but i think that it could work well in France. The rest of the team i would leave alone.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

France - Ireland one win in 40 years.... Empty Re: France - Ireland one win in 40 years....

Post by Standulstermen Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:05 am

When is the team announced?

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:09 am

eirebilly wrote:Well i actually feel positive about the game. I think that Ireland can win. I havent picked them to win but do feel as if they can.

I would be very tempted to start ROG at 10 and Sexton at 12.. I know that sounds weird but i think that it could work well in France. The rest of the team i would leave alone.

I disagree. I think we need to keep with Sexton. Also Earls has to come back in.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:10 am

Team is announced on Thursday afternoon.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:11 am

I am not saying drop Sexton, i just thought that a 10/12/13 lineup of ROG/Sexton/Earles might actually work. I would not be suprised to see it at some stage during the match either.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:13 am

The expectation is that we should win. Just because we lost one game doesn't mean we rip up zee plan altogether.

We need to improve from Sunday but if we do then we can push France all the way. We really need to win to get things back on track.

If we lose again then we need to go back to the drawing board but for now I wouldn't change too much. Donnacha Ryan to start, maybe Reddan and Earls for Murray and McFadden respectively.

BELIEVE.....this is rugby country hi! guinness Leprechaun
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:14 am

Team announcement Thursday.

I strangely enough would like to see:

01 Cian Healy
02 Rory Best
03 Mike Ross
04 Donnacha Ryan
05 Paul O'Connell
06 Stephen Ferris (if banned we play Sean O'Brien)
07 Sean O'Brien (if banned we play Peter O'Mahony)
08 Jamie Heaslip
09 Conor Murray
10 Jonathan Sexton
11 Keith Earls
12 Gordon Darcy
13 Tommy Bowe
14 Andrew Trimble
15 Rob Kearney

16 Sean Cronin
17 Tom Court
18 Donnacha O'Callaghan
19 Peter O'Mahony (if banned Rhys Ruddock)
21 Eoin Reddan
22 Ronan O'Gara
23 Fergus McFadden
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:17 am

D'Arcy Stag.... Really?

I do like the idea of Bowe at 13 though.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:21 am

Why would anyone want to play Bowe at 13, when his positioning defensively is bad enough? If anyone is going to move to 13, it should be Trimble, who was excellent in defence. However I think they should just bring Earls in at 13.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:27 am

Can anyone explain to me why D'Arcy is in the side for any other reason than experience?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:28 am

eirebilly wrote:Can anyone explain to me why D'Arcy is in the side for any other reason than experience?

erm...he's a really nice guy?

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:33 am

eirebilly wrote:Can anyone explain to me why D'Arcy is in the side for any other reason than experience?

Because Kidney and others don't want to let the D'Arcy/BOD partnership go, and are doing everything they can to keep them both there. They are afraid of trying someone new.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:33 am

I'd love to see that team Stag but I can't see it.

Interesting Thornley thought Bowe had been training at 13 in against the head and Sheehan said he was keen to play there.

Maybe not the answer but its worth a try. He would certainly bring more pace and strike threat.

Trimble is an obvious one but I'm done beating that drum. If he'd stayed at 13 when he was 22 and ripping it up in the HEC for Ulster he'd be one of the best around now. Hes a winger now and a good one.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:35 am

I don't have faith in McFadden when neither Joe Schmidt nor Declan Kidney does and I think Darcy played better than him at the weekend.

Reason for Bowe at 13 is to combat the more physical Aurelien Rougerie.

However as with the Wales match I genuinely dont mind what combo we pick.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:38 am

Bowe will not help up against Fofana and Rougerie, that is for sure. He would be a massive weakness defensively at 13. And stag why do you not mind what combo we pick after seeing our centres get absolutely steam rolled? Like I said if we want someone to move to 13 who can actually defend well, we should move Trimble there.

Earls should start at 13, Paddy Wallace at 12 for a bit of creativity for a change. Though it matters little who we pick IMO.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:40 am

As long as McFadden plays he'll be a weak link in defence. I've never seen him play a big game at 13 were he hasn't missed at least one crucial head on tackle.

Good player and good 12 but never an international 13.

D'arcy did ok on Sunday, slightly better than McFadden, who wasn't bad but struggled physically against Davies.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:41 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:And stag why do you not mind what combo we pick after seeing our centres get absolutely steam rolled?

As any combination is a weak link and in reality is much of a muchness. I have preferences on who I'd like to see but if not chosen I won't care too much.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:46 am

roddersm wrote:As long as McFadden plays he'll be a weak link in defence. I've never seen him play a big game at 13 were he hasn't missed at least one crucial head on tackle.

Good player and good 12 but never an international 13.

D'arcy did ok on Sunday, slightly better than McFadden, who wasn't bad but struggled physically against Davies.

Or 12 tbh. They didn't do well though Rodders, they both were pretty shocking in defence at times, a real weakness atm. I know people will moan at me for saying this, but I feel that match would have suited Cave a great deal. He is a brilliant defensive organiser, and stops the big runners week in week out. Made Alesana Tuilagi look pretty average when he came inside and met Cave.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by gnollbeast Tue 07 Feb 2012, 11:49 am

I think Paris is to Ireland what Twickenham is to Wales.

A place that for some reason feels so important to get a win that the players bottle it and screw it up every time.

gnollbeast

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:05 pm

McFadden at 12 and Earls at 13. But it will be Darcy at 12 and Earls at 13. Bet your Life on it. And bet your Life that France will win and win well.

When we lose this one, if Kidney doesnt start making at least a few changes for Scotland & Italy, Im paying him a visit. Scotland & Italy at Lansdowne - should be a given. So use the oppurtunity to make a few changes. POM & D Kearney in. Try a different centre-pairing. A more balanced backrow would be nice.

Losing to the 2 strongest teams in it (France & Wales) and continuing to play the same team throughout the rest of 6-N, against the weaker teams, gives us nothing from this 6-N. Nothing. Other than proving the blatant fact, that we need to change our coaching team as soon as is logistically feasible. Its obvious now, but that would help seal it. If Kidney gets just 2 wins from this 6-N, he should put his hand up and resign. I have a feeling, that scraping a win at Twickers may just, unjustifiably - save his arse and prolong the agony.

Get some someone in for the Summer - if at all possible. Not easy, but they should make the effort. Anyone could take over in the interim and do a better job. England did it and I admire them for it. Lancaster cant lose. He knows he is an interim - unless he surprises them and England have a great 6-N. 4 wins for him and he stays. Even 3, with decent performances and visible signs of progression in the team. Its win-win for the RFU.

If the IRFU are not looking at replacements now - in the background, then they are even more useless than Kidney's tactics.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:07 pm

You're up against it there's no doubt about that. The thing is at the moment theres nothing between Ireland, Wales and France. We can all beat each other and thats why home advantage is so important and why Wales have to be pretty much favourites at this point. The game on Sunday could have gone either way really and now Ireland could have been going to France with a win behind them. Records are meant to be broken, maybe this is Irelands year against France. Maybe it's Italy's year against England and Scotland's year against us. Who knows. Right now I wouldn't bet against France at home but I think you should start with ROG, plug the corners, hit the goals, run them ragged, maybe a drop goal or two plus I think people forget he plays in an exceptional Province team so is in no way a weak link.

It's horses for courses right now. France will always let you play, especially at home, safe in the knowledge that however many tries you score they'll score more. ROG can counter that and dictate the pace. You do not want an open, broken game with this French backline running at you.
Sexton to come on with 20 minutes to go and then go at them.
Ireland can win this but the tactics need to be spot on.
Bish, bash, bosh up front, keep trying the strangle hold and hope for a maul for the put in and hope at some point Kearney or Bowe will do something special isn't enough. They'll run in tries for fun.

Good luck Ireland, I'll be cheering you all the way now that youve played us.

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:15 pm

Ireland will lose Dave Pearson is in charge need I say more!

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:47 pm

we have the players to actually go over there and turn them over. If we play like we did v Aus or England we could surprise them.

However i just cannot see it happening in a 6 day turnaround. we will no doubt be making one change earls for darcy and playing the exact same way kicking the ball away in search for elusive territory and doing it very badly. A reluctance to keep the ball in hand will result in us making twice as many tackles as them and there class telling in the end as we fall off a few

I have no doubt we will throw off the shackles at some stage and maybe score a few trys but i cannot see it being enough.

I would personally be happy with a decent performance even in defeat where we actually cause them a few problems and give the away fans something to cheer about.

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:11 pm

If we struggled physically against Wales, we are certainly going to struggle against France. Rougerie, Picamoles and Malzieu will punish us greatly.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:19 pm

Players won't change it but if they could I'd pick Sexton to stay where he is, Redden to scrumhalf,
Earls at 13,
Dave Kearney at 14
McFadden 12

But it ain't going to happen and even if it did, we'd still struggle to play fluid rugby. Players won't change it (in my of course humble, extremely fallible opinion)

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:21 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:If we struggled physically against Wales, we are certainly going to struggle against France. Rougerie, Picamoles and Malzieu will punish us greatly.

Wales backs are far more physical that Frances, Wales battered them with 14 men in the RWC. The French couldn't deal with Roberts in midfield at all.

It will be a totally different threat we face against France.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:42 pm

As has been stated why pick McFadden there when the great Joe Schmidt (isnt that a film?) wont pick him.

I would start POM for Ferris as I think he was poor enough last weekend

Redden for Murray? WTF...is all I can say. I rewatched the game last night and Murray was great at dictating the pace in attack and his passing was crisp and good. I wouldnt even have Redden in the 22 to be honest.

Also given our results (or lack of them) in Paris a win would be a very special acheivement.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:45 pm

Agree with DOD there actually - If POM starts he should come on for Ferris, who had a very poor game by his standards. But POM won't make the slightest difference, I can tell you that. And no, Murray to start.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:45 pm

The Welsh also struggled against Tonga in the WC I don't know that we can be sure what France will be like until we see a full campaign with Saint-Andre as coach.

If the Welsh midfield are so big and strong why did the small Oz midfield have no problems with them in their last 2 games?I don't mean to demean Wales they were very good on sunday but I think a lot of people are overrating them.It's only Ireland that are struggling against Wales the only other team of note they have beaten in the last year is England in a world cup warm up.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:46 pm

ireland can deffo win this- gonna for a marginal french win due to the fact that ireland seem to be lacking abit of confidence and cohession. they look abit disjointed- problem with the centres- cant see that being fixed to soon.

however i wouldnt be suprised if they beat france up- they have the players

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:46 pm

Wales didn't play Tonga in the RWC.

France did and they lost.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:49 pm

French team is in. 4 changes. Which make them even stronger.

The team: Maxime Medard; Vincent Clerc, Aurelien Rougerie, Wesley Fofana, Julien Malzieu; Francois Trinh-Duc, Dimitri Yachvili; Louis Picamoles, Imanol Harinordoquy, Thierry Dusautoir; Yoann Maestri, Pascal Pape; Nicolas Mas, Dimitry Szarzewski, Jean-Baptiste Poux

Replacements: William Servat, Vincent Debaty, Lionel Nallet, Julien Bonnaire, Morgan Parra, Lionel Beauxis, Maxime Mermoz

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/irish-news/france-makes-four-changes-for-visit-of-ireland-on-saturday-3012357.html
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:51 pm

Our line speed in defence last weekend was woeful. Rewatching Against the head last night shows we had no shooters and held back.

Strong looking french team....ouch

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:52 pm

Screw this game OK

No really, I am not looking forward to this one. France have just as good big ball carriers as Wales. If not better.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:53 pm

DOD wrote:
Redden for Murray? WTF...is all I can say. I rewatched the game last night and Murray was great at dictating the pace in attack and his passing was crisp and good. I wouldnt even have Redden in the 22 to be honest.

Also given our results (or lack of them) in Paris a win would be a very special acheivement.

A win would be a very special achievement? It'd be a win. Of course me, being the eternal sulk would just think of what might have been had we tried to play more than a few minutes of real rugby against Wales..... !

It's obvious we'd coach two polar opposite sides DOD but Murray 'dictating pace'? He's a very good player, very good prospect, when he get's a gameplan more suited to his youth and temperament he'll shine. No doubt about it. Sunday wasn't a vintage performance. Redden for speed in an Ireland side that fears the very word. But don't fret - he won't get picked.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:53 pm

red_stag wrote:Wales didn't play Tonga in the RWC.

France did and they lost.

Lol yeah obviously that's what I meant to type.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 07 Feb 2012, 1:53 pm

The problem is if we use "shooters" the french team can just step/spin out of the tackle. They have the size and the agility. Especially Fofana, he and Rougerie are really going to tear us open in the centres.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue 07 Feb 2012, 2:02 pm

the australians had no problems with roberts and davies because the australians are well smart and play to their strengths. we in a nutshell are not.

ferris had a poor game but we will need him against the french back row.

watched a rerun of game sober there last night and it did not make very pleasant viewing. outside of the two trys we were poor and lost to a welsh team missing 5/6 regulars the pack in our own back yard in a game we should have been frothing at the mouth for. not a good day and a massive ask to get something in paris. murray played ok and deserves to keep his place. o leary for reddan jesus wept no. reddan adds pace and tempo at the base. o leary will change our playing style from slow to slower.

its a very good french team with trinh duc rightly restored to fly half. i fear for us in the centre against rougerie and fofana. our defense was not near agressive enough

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 07 Feb 2012, 2:08 pm

Jeebus lads yous are all losing the run of yourselves! steam

It was a 2 point defeat FFS! If Sexto had of brought his kicking boots or Barnes knew the rules we'd have won.

Sh*t happens. Your acting like a bunch of drama queens.

You'll all be laughing at yerselves when we batter the French. zen
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 07 Feb 2012, 2:13 pm

roddersm wrote:If Sexto had of brought his kicking boots

The problem was he had them on and was told to use them liberally.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 07 Feb 2012, 2:16 pm

roddersm wrote:Jeebus lads yous are all losing the run of yourselves! steam

It was a 2 point defeat FFS! If Sexto had of brought his kicking boots or Barnes knew the rules we'd have won.

Sh*t happens. Your acting like a bunch of drama queens.

You'll all be laughing at yerselves when we batter the French. zen

That's the point,a 2 point defeat at home to a Welsh team that was missing 4 players and had 2 players who were touch and go,not good enough imo.Not only that but we looked 2nd best for most of the match and were blessed to be in with a shout of winning it.

I agree that had a few things went our way we could hae won but that still wouldn't have meant we deserved it.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Tue 07 Feb 2012, 2:19 pm

marty2086 wrote:Ireland will lose Dave Pearson is in charge need I say more!

If you're referring to last year's match v France (which Pearson reffed), I would suggest D'Arcy's appalling missed tackle on Rougerie, leading directly to Medard's try, would be a better place apportion blame.

Or perhaps Ireland infringing giving France easy penalties.

No ref sets out to favour either team, but good luck in Paris.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 07 Feb 2012, 2:21 pm

If we can win the next match we can blow the tournament wide open. I think we got it tactically wrong against Wales, but what should be the tactics against France? I've always felt that we don't really know how to beat them under any coach.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 07 Feb 2012, 2:34 pm

Beat them convincingly under the present coach and at least a few of us might think that the hallowed one victory over the All Blacks was achievable this year.

Most of Ireland's miseries in the last few years are (only in my opinion) coaching related - but our eternal misery when playing France is that we 'fear' them. It's a mind game that some day we're just going to have to snap out of. If England can beat them - we can beat them. It's mind, not ability.

They can smell fear and it energises them when they play it fast and we get nervy. England doesn't get nervy, they just get aggressive and knock the elan out of them.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue 07 Feb 2012, 2:45 pm

Kidney has a knack of winning when the backs are against the wall. England last year and Australia in the wc were must win games in my eyes which I think they would have been prioritised. Obviously Wales should have been as well but Poopie happens. I have a feeling we might knick it.

What I would like to see is whitten at 12 and earls at 13. Whitten is a big lad, Very solid has a bit of pace and good hands. I know there is zero chance of it happening and I am probably basing it too much on a couple of hc matches. I don't think he is international class but he could drfinetly do a job in shoring up the midfield

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 07 Feb 2012, 3:04 pm

Golden wrote: Whitten is a big lad, Very solid has a bit of pace and good hands.

The mortal curse of mentioning a player from outside the 22!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll have the hounds on your tail... the hounds of rugby excellence etiquette

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 07 Feb 2012, 3:19 pm

Down with Whitten! Down with change! Put your thinking back in the box god damn you! boxing
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 07 Feb 2012, 3:30 pm

You know, Whitten wouldn't even be a bad shout considering the game-plan we are going for right now. Then again, we should also play ROG with the game-plan we are going for.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue 07 Feb 2012, 5:01 pm

i think we have to make them defend and make tackles. we just cant kick the ball a) as much and b) as poorly as saturday. i would like us to see us really take it to them and make a statement that we are out to play some rugby and score tries. not play territory and frustrate them. im not suggesting run everything from daft positions but to have a go around the middle of the pitch and not be so content to boxkick the ball away and leather it down the middle of the pitch

to give ourselves some credit we do not have an issue scoring trys against them and they can be sloppy in defence. the thing is when we get on top of teams we go back into our shell and seem contend to defend. it is a risky ploy against good teams. will get away with it v italy and scotland not wales and france

we are due another big performance though.

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next