The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst Players to Have Played for Scotland or Anyone TBH

+26
iso
ScarletSpiderman
Glas a du
Knowsit17
bluestonevedder
TJ1
Shifty
rawa86
Looseheaded
westisbest
ChequeredJersey
Scot Abroad
aucklandlaurie
kiakahaaotearoa
BlueNote
TycroesOsprey
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
dummy_half
bedfordwelsh
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
geoff998rugby
IanBru
Chjw131
mckay1402
Shane_Williams
21st Century Schizoid Man
30 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Worst Players to Have Played for Scotland or Anyone TBH - Page 2 Empty Worst Players to Have Played for Scotland or Anyone TBH

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 07 Feb 2012, 4:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Marcus di Rollo
Rob Dewey
Dan Parks 68 caps FFS furious

will do for starters for us. Any other takers ?

Back to top Go down

Worst Players to Have Played for Scotland or Anyone TBH - Page 2 Empty Re: Worst Players to Have Played for Scotland or Anyone TBH

Post by Glas a du Fri 10 Feb 2012, 3:52 pm

Is that a silent Y?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Worst Players to Have Played for Scotland or Anyone TBH - Page 2 Empty Re: Worst Players to Have Played for Scotland or Anyone TBH

Post by dummy_half Fri 10 Feb 2012, 3:53 pm

Knowsit
To be honest, I was struggling to think of a really poor hooker for England. Mears for me has always just been too small for the position, especially when partnered with tall props (and since he often played with Vickery and Sheridan, that was exactly who he was teamed with). Good club level player and technically sound, but just not physical enough against the big men .

I'm willing to accept any better (worse) suggestions

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 10 Feb 2012, 3:53 pm

My trick worked mate. Quade Cooper is a good player and I expect him to come back stronger this year. But you just flushed the Dunny, not me.

Formerly known as Sam that was in reference to the AB Colin Farrell who was either before my time or was so poor I didn´t know he was an AB.

Andy Farrell didn´t come to the England squad in the twilight of his career but more the deep black pitch night of his career. His injury certainly didn´t help his chances but I never knew how somebody so slow could make the backs. The son looks much more solid, it´s true to say.

We had so many players going to league when I was growing up: Frano Botica, Craig Innes, Inga Tuigamala. Brad Thorn is the most successful convert the other way round followed by SBW but I can´t think of too many coming from league to union. Robinson and Ashton are England´s best by some margin.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:02 pm

Well we had Matty Rogers, Sailor, Lote, and Giteau must've played league earlier, as converts into the union side, and whilst didn't set the world alight they weren't bad players.

Course Brad was the best...

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rollmeister Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:09 pm

Mauro Bergamasco at scrum half was truly appalling. Not a bad player all around, but (understandably) awful behind the scrum!
Rollmeister
Rollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:37 pm

Tuquiri was definitely the pick of those OzT but like you say they were all pretty useful.

I´m a proud Cantab and a Mainlander but Ron Cribb and Arran Pene (pene means the male appendage in Spanish) were pretty forgettable. Worst is harsh. Lee Stenseness was a horror not only to spell but watch sometimes. Did win us the series against the World XV when we were pretty mediocre for our centenary year.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:42 pm

I remember watching bergamasco at scrum half, that was truly, deeply upsetting/distressing. Never want to see that again!

That said does anyone remember Parisse slotting a drop goal!? Either that or he did a cheeky little chip and caught it. Most versatile number 8 in the world!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:45 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:I remember watching bergamasco at scrum half, that was truly, deeply upsetting/distressing. Never want to see that again!

That said does anyone remember Parisse slotting a drop goal!? Either that or he did a cheeky little chip and caught it. Most versatile number 8 in the world!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRdo2nsr_b0
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:46 pm

Forwards' drop-goals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHWBMZOGPFM&feature=related
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 10 Feb 2012, 4:50 pm

That's jokes! Although I do still think Parisse is the best number 8 in the world without a shadow of a doubt.

On the subject of rubbish players. Dewey was horrific, Morrison comes close, Parks when he was having a stinker (which unfortunately was quite often), Charlie Hodgson (he may have scored a try on Sat but he's still atrocious), I also think Delon Armitage was the most over-rated player of the six nations

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Fri 10 Feb 2012, 5:22 pm

Worst of the lot was Matt Dunnings, yip that man again, when he SCORED with the drop but didn't mean to, or wanted to. That ball went straight thru the post!!!!

Poor man, sometimes it is hard being Matt

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by iso Fri 10 Feb 2012, 5:57 pm

dummy_half wrote:Well, after the quality of the poorest Welsh team of living memory, how about some attempt at the poorest England side of my recollection:

1 - Tim Payne
2 - Lee Mears
3 -
4 - Steve Borthwick
5 - Martin Bayfield
6 - ?
7 - Andy Robinson. (How he even got a handful of caps ahead of Peter Winterbottom is beyond me)
8 -

9 - Shaun Perry
10 - Stuart Barnes Very Happy
11 -
12 - Erinle
13 - Phil de Glanville
15 - Marcus Rose

Anyone want to suggest candidates for the missing spots?

Can you add Barry John Mather on the Bench for Phil DeGlanville cover, y'know ... just in case 'Hollywood' has a purple patch?

iso

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 10 Feb 2012, 7:26 pm

iso
Lots of choice for centre - Farrell, Paul, Bananaman, Mather etc

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2