The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi I am Thunnus the Tuna, catch me if you can.

2 posters

Go down

Hi I am Thunnus the Tuna, catch me if you can. Empty Hi I am Thunnus the Tuna, catch me if you can.

Post by Biltong Wed 08 Feb 2012, 8:05 am

Good day boys, my name is Thunnus, I am a yellow fin tuna and I can be recognized by my silver heavy body with blue-black back, white-spotted belly and bright yellow dorsal and anal fins. I sport saw-toothed rows of yellow finlets from those fins to the tail on top and bottom, as well as a broad yellow stripe from eye to tail on my side. I am almost nine feet long and weigh just short 400 pounds.

I love swimming in the warm waters near the equator, I swim as far north as the warm waters between the US and Canada border and as far south as Australia and I often swim as deep as 600 feet,

I often win eating competitions as I am an eating machine and love a buffet of squid, skipjack tuna, smaller yellowfins, mackerel, pilchards and crustaceans.

At 18 months old, I already weighed eight pounds; at age four I weighed 140 pounds. Most of my siblings only weighed between 90-100 pounds. So yeah, I was the daddy.

Although I am mostly caught by commercial fishermen which I personally find insulting, I don’t mind being out witted by an angler. I love pitting my strength, speed and fighting spirit against a 150 pound weakling, testing his determination and endurance. My biggest challenge is to keep away from hooks baited with all my favourite delicacies, I am literally attracted to it like a moth to a flame. Perhaps I shouldn’t give out all my secrets here, but anyway if you want to catch me I would suggest you get some serious tackle as I will challenge your little human body to the nth degree.

Your Gear and Bait
First, let's discuss tackle, you'll have to equip yourself with a 50-pound class, two-speed trolling reel (such as a Shimano TLD 30 II or TLD 50 II LRS), a broomstick-thick rod, and line in the 25-50 pound test range at least. You can expect me to test your gear's mettle, and yours as well. You'll need to use strong leaders, and if you opt to use live or dead bait (I prefer live), you'll need huge No. 9 or No. 10 hooks (about 3 inches long, and wickedly barbed) baited with squid, skipjack, mackerel, balao, or other baitfish. I might also go for artificial lures, some of which are larger than most freshwater fish.

Some daredevils actually fish for yellow fins with fly rods, but that's a story for another day..

If you're serious about catching me, you'll need to head out well off shore, I rarely venture any closer in than about 10 miles. I am easy to find though, simply because I like coming up to check out boats, yachts and so on. Although I am a bit of a loner, I like to eat family style. A whole bunch of us come together in a large school and just gorge ourselves on whatever is available. You’ll often see sea birds hanging about waiting for a morsel, so there is an important tip if you want to find me. Another trick I can tell you about is to look for dolphins, I quite like the company of those little sassy mammals, I like using them as decoy blockers against the nets of commercial fisherman, much like the running backs will use blockers in the NFL. Problem is commercial fishermen have wisened up to this and rarely use nets these days.

Another little trick is to catch me late in the afternoon, I don’t like bright sunshine too much. There are two methods commonly drift fishing or trolling. Drift fishing uses cut bait, some of which is thrown into the water as a "chum line" to attract our attention. This is called "chunking." You can also cast with live bait. Whatever your method, if you decide to go with live baitfish, hook us sideways through the nose, under the dorsal fin, above the anal fin, or through the breastbone. You can also try trolling at slow speeds (5-9 mph) using either live bait or artificial lures, such as strip baits, large spoons, skirted lures, and plugs. Don't worry - we are more than fast enough to keep up with the boat. When you troll, you should let out a quarter of your line behind the boat; a hundred yards or more is excellent.

When we hit, we hit hard, usually hooking ourselves with no help from you, and yanking the line off the reel at a rapid rate. If the line becomes slack, I am most likely swimming toward the boat; reel in the slack rapidly, and make sure the hook is set. Always keep the line tight. I the tuna is as big as I am we’ll give you the fright of your life, we could battle each other for hours until either I snap the line or leader ( my record is 17-0) or you get me onto your boat.

If you catch one of my smaller cousins, you could probably lift them over the side yourself, but someone like me you will a gaff, a stout curved hook on a heavy pole. You might want to hook the gaff into my gills, sometimes it might take more than one gaff.

I have only one request, if you do catch me and are going to eat me, put me on ice immediately. You should bleed me by making six-inch slits on either side and let the blood drain out before icing me. Please just make sure you honour me by having a proper feast.

Regards Thunnus.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Hi I am Thunnus the Tuna, catch me if you can. Empty Re: Hi I am Thunnus the Tuna, catch me if you can.

Post by barrystar Wed 08 Feb 2012, 1:15 pm

biltongbek wrote:
Some daredevils actually fish for yellow fins with fly rods, but that's a story for another day..

I'd like to hear what you say about this Thunnus, otherwise I am left feeling a bit sorry for you with all those hooks and commercial fishermen after you.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Hi I am Thunnus the Tuna, catch me if you can. Empty Re: Hi I am Thunnus the Tuna, catch me if you can.

Post by Biltong Wed 08 Feb 2012, 1:59 pm

Perhaps it is best if I turn this over to men who have caught some of my cousins with a flyrod.

“It was absolutely mind blowing, I cannot believe that a fish can be so strong and last to the very end with such a never say die attitude. I can honestly say if we see yellowfin tuna of this size again I will definitely put my rod away … even though we landed the fish, we left as broken men. This was an unbelievable experience… …the experience is a once in a lifetime that has to be done.”

Comments from Andrew Lewis (right). Andrew landed a 54kg yellowfin tuna on the 13 May 2006 with us, after 3 hours. His brother Rob landed a 59kg yellowfin on the same day with us after 4 and a half hours.

Many fly fishermen do not believe me when I show them photographs of yellowfin tuna we have caught on fly rod. Others say that tackling yellowfin tuna in excess of 50 kgs on fly fishing tackle is crazy and is just not possible. How could anyone stand any chance of landing such behemoth tuna on fly fishing tackle.

5 May 2007. Frikkie (left) poses with his double yellowfin haul. Both these fish were taken on the same day by Frikkie, the smaller fish weighed in at 45kgs while the bigger weighed in at 80kgs! and was landed after a 3 hour fight. Congrats Frikkie this is the largest yellowfin taken on fly rod by us!

“Right, Michael poses with his 43.6kg yellowfin taken on 10kg tippet. His outfit and leader were rigged according to IGFA regulations as we aimed to break the WR. The fish fell only a few kilograms short. Michael landed this fish after just one hour - an exceptional performance. He was fishing his Albright rod with a Tibor Pacific reel with 50lbs spectra backing.”

This in essence is what Extreme Fly Fishing for yellowfin tuna is all about. Yellowfin tuna are, in my opinion, the ultimate quarry for saltwater fly fishing and present the greatest challenge to be taken on fly. Correct technique, endurance and the will to succeed are all essential to success.

In order to join us to tackle a yellowfin tuna on fly rod, you will need to book the boat for yourself, or for a maximum of two people fly fishing. It is not possible to fight more than one yellowfin tuna at once on fly rod. This is because the fish has to be chased by boat in order to land it. It can take longer than 3 hours to land a yellowfin. It is not easy to land more than one yellowfin on a trip out on fly tackle, and although we have done it, exceptional to land two. Friends and family are welcome to join the charter to share the experience, but not more than two anglers will get a chance to land a yellowfin tuna on fly on one day.

“Left, Ken poses with his 50 kg yellowfin landed in one hour 45 minutes on 25kg tippet. This was one of six yellowfin we put Ken into over the two days he fished with us. Ken was fishing one of my own custom rods with his own Tibor reel. Well Done!

On the 25th March 07, Cindy Mitchell joined us for an inshore fly fishing trip, but due to conditions not being suitable inshore for yellowtail and with gorgious weather we opted to run offshore and go in search of some yellowfin tuna on fly instead. Cindy was looking for an IGFA record and her outfit was rigged according to IGFA rules. The current Womens world record for yellowfin tuna on 20lb tippet is 24.15 kgs and I suggested to her that we try for this record as our small tuna are around the 35 -40 kg mark. We had a very slow start to the day and I spotted one fish under the boat about mid morning, but this was brief as one of the large recreational boats out of Hout Bay roared past us putting any fish within range of us down. Around mid day, the Tibor Pacific Fly reel that Cindy was using started screaming as a yellowfin took the fly. After a mamoth fight lasting 3 hours and 20 minutes Cindy finally managed to bring the tuna up and we boated it. What an achievement on 20 lb tippet. After weighing the fish on the official certified club scale we were ecstatic with a weight of 47.00 kgs. Congratulations Cindy on a very hard fought and well deserved catch.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:01 pm

Link if you want to see the full article and photo's

http://www.twooceanssportfishing.com/extreme-fly-fishing-yellowtail-tuna
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 08 Feb 2012, 2:12 pm

Astonishing - especially that chap who got two in one day of 80kg and 45kg, but I wonder whether I'd get bored with playing a fish for longer than about 45mins. I like a tussle and don't like reeling in kippers, but my chief joy in fishing is hunting and hooking.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down