The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6 Nations "Play" of Week 1

+18
Mad for Chelsea
belovedfrosties
nathan
Impossible Standards
KickAndChase
Glas a du
BlueNote
Knowsit17
formerly known as Sam
TycroesOsprey
eirebilly
Rory_Gallagher
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
red_stag
bluestonevedder
rodders
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
RubyGuby
22 posters

Go down

6 Nations "Play" of Week 1 Empty 6 Nations "Play" of Week 1

Post by RubyGuby Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:08 am

It's all getting a bit toxic on here as the tensions rise and the posts become more offensive - Therefore just as the RugbyShrink used to do on the old Scrum V and 606 forums I've decided to ask people what they thought was their best play from round one - Its subjective so none of the "mines better than yours" mentality please. It should be seen as an appreciation of skill. There are plenty of contenders such as the Malzeuie try for France and that delicious back hand pass from North for Davies's try - However of all the plays from week 1 there was one that I found quite remarkable and that was Dave Dentons tackle on Strettle following an inch perfect cross field kick from Hodgson and a perfect take by Strettle himself. The timing and execution of that tackle showed immense skill and strength and saved a certain 5-7 pointer. So there you have it - the Play of week 1 for me is Denton's amazing try saving tackle. I look forward to hearing yours. thumbsup

Last edited by RubyGuby on Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

6 Nations "Play" of Week 1 Empty Re: 6 Nations "Play" of Week 1

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:22 am

Bradley Ds clear out of Ryan

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:28 am

For me it was Davies second try from North's break from the lineout. North showed phenomenal power and skill, bouncing off McFadden then drawing 2 defenders to provide the back pass to Davies who had an awesome game too.

There were some fantastic plays in that game, mostly from Wales but some from Ireland too like Kearney's brilliant pass for Bowes try or Bowes half break and offload for Best to score but Davies second stood out.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:29 am

North's run to set up Davies' second try. When McFadden and D'arcy were boshed and swatted away, followed by the subtle back door pass.

Absolutely wonderful to watch. Both completely different ends of the rugby spectrum in terms of technique and skill, but married together to create one of the finest rugby moments I can remember for a long time.

Last edited by bluestonevedder on Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:29 am

Great minds roodersm! thumbsup

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:34 am

OK I think a lot of people will pick that one! guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:56 am

Comfortably George Norths actions leading to Wales second try.

I watched all 3 games, can't think of a better play.

The most decisive moment of the weekend was Ross Rennie not giving the pass soon enough before Foden tackled him.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:57 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Bradley Ds clear out of Ryan
Naughty warning

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:58 am

Some of Kearney's mid-air takes were outstanding - things of beauty

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 09 Feb 2012, 9:59 am

Mine is the Malzieu try, from someone who did more than North and is getting less praise for it (possibly because of North's young age and being from a home nation). Picamoles gets past Parisse from a pick and go, then provides a lovely pass to Malzieu who absolutely barrels through the the Italians. North barrelled through the worst centre partnership in world rugby. Though his little offload was wonderful.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 09 Feb 2012, 10:08 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote: North barrelled through the worst centre partnership in world rugby.

Do you honestly think so? That's quite a statement! D'arcy I feel has been lucky for soooo long to make the Ireland squad. I think BOD makes him look a lot better than he is. His defence is very questionable too. McFadden has potential, but needs a strong defender outside him- which D'arcy is not.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Feb 2012, 10:17 am

I'm going for Malzieu's try

I think they won an Italian scrum, Picamoles makes a good break and passes it to Malzieu who puts in a couple of nice steps shows good pace and power to get over the line.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 09 Feb 2012, 10:24 am

I am not actually going for a try. I think that the best bit of play was a team effort. For Wales to go from their own 22 toIrelands 22 with some pretty good rugby was special to me. Hated it at the time but when i watch it again, there was some very good play.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 09 Feb 2012, 10:44 am

Priestlands sleight of hand to put JD in for his first try. He may have been off with some of his kicking tactical as well as place but that was top drawer.

Malzieus try was the other standout for for me.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 09 Feb 2012, 10:48 am

TycroesOsprey wrote:Priestlands sleight of hand to put JD in for his first try. He may have been off with some of his kicking tactical as well as place but that was top drawer.

Good shout, that was outstanding play by Priestland and JD OK. Great pass.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 09 Feb 2012, 11:00 am

Dave Dentons tackle on Strettle following an inch perfect cross field kick from Hodgson and a perfect take by Strettle himself. The timing and execution of that tackle showed immense skill and strength and saved a certain 5-7 pointer.

What really annoyed me about that was the lack of English support play. Ashton was on his wing, Foden was standing deep, Farrell standing at 13 stood and watched and it was only the backrow hairing across to get involved. Had Farrell or Foden in particular made the run (it was clearly a set move) then it was an easy pop Strettle was desperate to give and into the corner England would have been. Very poor from the England backs in my view but a well timed tackle by Denton who didn't do anything flash, no attempted smash just a well timed leg grab which offered Strettle no hint of escape.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 09 Feb 2012, 11:06 am

Hodgson's try :p

Malzieu probably had to work more for his try and to his credit made great use of the blindside. Personally I thought the Italian tackling looked exceedingly weak for that one though.

The most sublime was undoubtedly the North-Davies combo for me, just came from nowhere. I can't quite call it, maybe France and Wales' respective second tries for joint top.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Thu 09 Feb 2012, 11:11 am

I thought the Kearney take in the air over 1/2p (who's not bad in the air himself) was awesome.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 09 Feb 2012, 11:17 am

I'll throw another couple in the pot.

I didn't see the French match so can't comment. Red Stag is so tight and didn't want to pay a fiver for a taxi, so we were walking through Dublin during the second half of the Scotland match. "10 minutes" he said, yes if you're in a Flip taxi, 40 minutes if you're not!

But I digress. I thought North's tackle on McFadden into touch was excellent, Tipuric's line out take for the second try and a couple of steals at the breakdown were great. Kearney's first take under the high ball in itself, but to get back onto his feet so quickly after dropping from that height put it up another notch. POC's steals from the kick offs and line outs (just because he does it all the time doesn't make it any less impressive) but for me THE stand out piece of skill was Ryan Jones' end over end corner flag touch finder - sublime. Only ROG in the stadium could have replicated it.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 09 Feb 2012, 11:17 am

bluestonevedder wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote: North barrelled through the worst centre partnership in world rugby.

Do you honestly think so? That's quite a statement! D'arcy I feel has been lucky for soooo long to make the Ireland squad. I think BOD makes him look a lot better than he is. His defence is very questionable too. McFadden has potential, but needs a strong defender outside him- which D'arcy is not.

Yep I honestly think so. D'Arcy has been dire for a long time, and BOD's importance really showed during that match. McFadden is actually a good up front tackler at 12, but at 13 his positioning is just shocking. This isn't really his fault though, he was selected at 13 by Kidney, and I feel that 13/15 are the hardest positions to defend against the opposition. Your positioning must be spot on.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Thu 09 Feb 2012, 11:22 am

You might be right, but let's wait till Ireland v Scotland. At least Ireland's 12 is a 12. Ours passed the ball ONCE last game.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 09 Feb 2012, 11:23 am

You'll have Shingler by then Whistle
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Thu 09 Feb 2012, 12:31 pm

I liked the Pigeons never say die attitude in Paris. No matter who ran at them they just took off, swerved like JPR on steroids and landed on a different part of the grass...

George North’s run, smash and pass wasn’t bad too... Very Happy
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 09 Feb 2012, 12:34 pm

Glas a du

THE stand out piece of skill was Ryan Jones' end over end corner flag touch finder - sublime. Only ROG in the stadium could have replicated it.

Quality thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 09 Feb 2012, 12:34 pm

I liked the Pigeons never say die attitude in Paris. No matter who ran at them they just took off, swerved like JPR on steroids and landed on a different part of the grass...

Yahoo thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Thu 09 Feb 2012, 12:35 pm

Mines not a try either, but i'm going to go for Englands defence for 80 minutes. Not a single leaked try.......

Just kidding, i'd go with the North/Davies try.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by belovedfrosties Thu 09 Feb 2012, 12:55 pm

I am English, so this will be biased, but I thought that while probably not play of the weekend, Corbs steal 5m from Englands line was brilliant. At a time when Scotland were really pressing he completely diffused their attack.

Obviously for overall pieces of skill I would go for Priestlands offload and Malzieus charging run, I suppose that Norths bit of skill was ok as well....

belovedfrosties

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:19 pm

belovedfrosties wrote:I am English, so this will be biased, but I thought that while probably not play of the weekend, Corbs steal 5m from Englands line was brilliant. At a time when Scotland were really pressing he completely diffused their attack.

Obviously for overall pieces of skill I would go for Priestlands offload and Malzieus charging run, I suppose that Norths bit of skill was ok as well....

I'm glad someone else mentioned this one, because I thought if I mentioned it as an English and LI fan it would seem unbelievably biased. Yes, great bit of defensive work from Corbs there.

I'd go with Priestland setting up Davies's first try, lovely skills in not a lot of space to work the gap. Malzieu and North were both impressive, but undoubtedly benefited from weak defending.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:21 pm

North did, but I'm not sure Malzieu did. Italy I thought defended very very well in that game, and it is quite clear they are becoming much tougher opponents nowadays. Which is probably a cliche at this stage..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:22 pm

Ignore!

Last edited by Rory_Gallagher on Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:22 pm

there were quite a few missed tackles on Malzieu though, sure he fended off a couple well, but it was lackadaisical defending at best IMO.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:23 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Well I think Best is one of the best hookers in the world, as he was in the world cup also, and Healy is one of the best looseheads in the world, so yeah I agree. Mas I feel is better than Ross however.

wrong thread?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:23 pm

Just posted on the wrong thread and it won't let me delete Sad

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:34 pm

Priestland's offload for JD's first try just pips North's for his 2nd for me
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 09 Feb 2012, 4:00 pm

eirebilly wrote:I am not actually going for a try. I think that the best bit of play was a team effort. For Wales to go from their own 22 toIrelands 22 with some pretty good rugby was special to me. Hated it at the time but when i watch it again, there was some very good play.

+1

Superb patience and commitment - a bit like the Irish provinces in the HC Whistle
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 09 Feb 2012, 4:42 pm

wales606 wrote:
eirebilly wrote:I am not actually going for a try. I think that the best bit of play was a team effort. For Wales to go from their own 22 toIrelands 22 with some pretty good rugby was special to me. Hated it at the time but when i watch it again, there was some very good play.

+1

Superb patience and commitment - a bit like the Irish provinces in the HC Whistle

As a Munsterman, i do appreciate that quality Wink Cool
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Messymesina Thu 09 Feb 2012, 5:08 pm

The best play for me was Tommy Bowe's try and specifically Kearney's majestic, left handed, try scoring pass to Bowe.

It reminded me of Neil Jenkins' wonderful try scoring flat pass to Taffy Howarth at Wembley 99.

Kearney was easily Ireland's best player.

Messymesina

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:10 pm

Messymesina wrote:The best play for me was Tommy Bowe's try and specifically Kearney's majestic, left handed, try scoring pass to Bowe.

It reminded me of Neil Jenkins' wonderful try scoring flat pass to Taffy Howarth at Wembley 99.

Kearney was easily Ireland's best player.

Actually it was very easy in the wake of Ireland's defeat to forget that both of Ireland's tries were actually very nicely made
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:14 pm

Dan Parks setting up the try. Thought it was a deft kick to get over the line and not go dead. And then he retires from the game!

Seriously, I think the Malzieu try was individual brilliance. A combination of fending, stepping and electric pace, it was a beautiful individual try. I also thought his prevention of what looked like an Italian try with a ball dangerously popping up near two Italians at the start of the match and then a powerful run to take the ball over half way. He looks very impressive and it´s going to be a great battle to see Bowe and Malzieu.

But to me the best thought out and team try was the Davies try in the second half. They went to the back of the lineout and North came round off his wing to attack that channel where Ireland looked flat-footed on defence. North pushed McFadden out the way as if he had asked to cradle North´s love tackle and then slipped out a gem of a reverse pass to Davies running on the angle to bisect two Irish defenders.

But I echo the sentiments of a few posts above and think when Wales were down 6 with one less man on the pitch and to get down the right end for North to score. That takes belief and determination and this has been lacking at the business end of many a game for Wales when they had been competing for so long. Also after the deep kick-off from ROG (at least that one made sense but the kick after the Halfpenny penalty should have been giftwrapped by ROG with a note saying congrats on your win) to come back so strongly was impressive.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 09 Feb 2012, 6:24 pm

The commentary play of the week has to go to Brian Moore praying to Jesus in the middle of a match. It seemed to work as Hodgson was offered up a miracle and a way to the tryline.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down