The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales' unsung heroes today

Go down

Wales' unsung heroes today Empty Wales' unsung heroes today

Post by Liam Sun 12 Feb 2012, 8:27 pm

First things first, a good performence from Wales. Last few seasons we were complaining that they weren't clinical enough, and now there's only one outcome it seems when they have a sniff at a try when in the 22. Fingers crossed George Norths injury doesn't rule him out of the huge triple crown game against England.

Today, the line out was a little shaky early on, with a couple of throws going astray and a few calls also causing confusion. My first unsung hero today was Ken Owens. A man who for a couple of seasons has been praised by fans up and down the country, and has now seemed to have asserted himself on the National scene. He came on in the first half and he brought an era of calm at the line out. He simplified it and hit the target men. Can't ask much more from a Hooker. Huw Bennett for me is superb in the loose, one of the best hookers in the NH for his work around rucks and breakdowns. Ken Owens stepped up to the plate is this department also, getting quickly to the breakdown and allowing quick ball for the backs. Well done Ken, definite place on the bench, outside bet of starting at Twickers. clap

Second unsung hero today was Aaron Shingler. Impressed many down at the Scarlets this season, and, playing his first cap in a position he was unfamiliar with and following the act of one of the best 7's in rugby, I thought he was superb. What I like about his play today is like Ken Owens, he did the basics brilliantly. He carried well, he tackled well and wasn't too bad at the breakdown too. When tackled he didn't try to offload needless balls, he just got to ground and presented ball to Phillips to continue the attack. Looks a bright prospect and certainly put his name in the hat for a place in the squad for the Triple Crown match. Well played Aaron. clap

Third unsung hero today was the 'resurrected' Ryan Jones. Now some of you will probably say he wasn't unsung, but i'm comparing him to people like 1/2p's plaudits. A man who has certainly regained the confidence which made him favourite for captain of the 2009 Lions tour, before falling from grace spectacularly in the following months. In recent games however, he has been leading from the front, carrying over the gain line countless occasions and was also a threat in the lineout. Cracking effort against Ireland and today also, nice to see the old Ryan Jones back and is such a useful player for Wales in that he can cover 6 and 4/5, and playing to a high standard in every one of those positions. clap

Liam

Back to top Go down