The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How are you watching the F1 this season?

+11
Miz NG
Fernando
liverbnz
Belgarion of Riva
SteveG
Alessandro Ciambella
Gregers
harryspiv
Critical_mass
dyrewolfe
sportform
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How are you watching F1 this season?

How are you watching the F1 this season? Vote_lcap32%How are you watching the F1 this season? Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 10 ]
How are you watching the F1 this season? Vote_lcap68%How are you watching the F1 this season? Vote_rcap 68% 
[ 21 ]
How are you watching the F1 this season? Vote_lcap0%How are you watching the F1 this season? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 31

How are you watching the F1 this season? Empty How are you watching the F1 this season?

Post by sportform Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:27 am

I was just wondering how people will be watching the F1 this season. Are you sticking with the 10 BBC games? Do you already have a Sky Sports or Sky HD package? Will you be signing up to a Sky Sports/ Sky HD package to watch all the races live? (Sky are not selling the F1 channel on its own).

Answer the poll and feel free to leave any notes below.

I personally don't think Sky will get the subscribers/ viewers they will be hoping for and I think despite the fact that the coverage will be fantastic on Sky. I think the sport will lose out in terms of interest. I am already not as interested as in previous season due to the fact that the first two races not being live on free television.

I won't be able to see some of my favourite races this year such as Australia, Canada, Italy, Japan as well as the new US Grand Prix.

With some other sports such as football and golf, Sky only get around 15-20% of the viewers that free television gets for similar events.

Sign the petition http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/57
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

How are you watching the F1 this season? Empty Re: How are you watching the F1 this season?

Post by Guest Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:48 pm

Watching it on Sky (non HD), however when the BBC HD races come along I will watch the BBC coverage for obvious reasons. I personally think the Sky Coverage will be very technical but the presenter, however much training and research the new presenter have undertaken, will never be able to compete against the knowledge and experience the BBC team have. Another advantage will be the BBC presenting from the pitlane and giving the viewer the feeling of being involved, being able to smell and hear the engines as they fire out the pitlane with EJ & DC. I just cannot see Georgie Thompson walking and talking about F1 in the pitlane, she will be positioned in a box like A1GP and it was truly dull. I will be watching Australia live on Sky and then it will be interesting to compare the coverage and the commentating when I watch the BBC HD highlights at 2pm on the Sunday.

Back to top Go down

How are you watching the F1 this season? Empty Re: How are you watching the F1 this season?

Post by dyrewolfe Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:59 pm

None of the above.

I'll watch the BBC races as usual. As to the Sky races, well... Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:03 pm

Fortunate enough to have SKY HD already.

Hopefully it'll be a good show

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by harryspiv Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:43 pm

With my eyes drumroll

harryspiv

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:49 pm

Parents have sky, I'll be watching them live on skygo rather than 2 hours late on iplayer

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by harryspiv Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:54 pm

Gregers wrote:Parents have sky, I'll be watching them live on skygo rather than 2 hours late on iplayer

My uncle has the most expensive Sky package, he has given me his login details so i will be doing the same. For anyone out there without sky who knows someone with a sky ID, it is well worth considering.

harryspiv

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:59 pm

hmmm good idea guys, my dad doesnt have sky so i'll give him my details to log into SKYgo

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:55 am

Bonjourno!

As part of the Monza Motorsport Council, I will be attending all races via the Air Monza. The most complete air service in the world. Its a small franchise, but like Massa in 2013, its going places!

We need to see where our competition is at as far as race day experiences go.
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveG Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:41 am

Currently have an old SKY box with basic entertainment packge (no premium sports or movies). Was going to watch on BBC but then got a promotion letter from SKY offering free F1 HD if sign up to the HD package - min 12 mth contract at around £11 extra per month with the first 3 months free - and a new SKY+ box to replace my old Pace which is on its last legs. Now will see all races next season which I wasnt expecting plus a new recordable box for 9 months worth of payments - can't lose.

BUT if SKY are true to form the F1 channel will quickly be shunted onto the premium sports package by 2013 at which point i'll simply cancel as it won't be worth paying for the full sports package just for F1 (for football I go down the pub) - but I've still scored for 2012. Smile

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:50 pm

Good point Steve. I hope in 2013 > they dont start wanting to charge for the F1 channel.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgarion of Riva Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Got Skysports already so will watch it with SKY. Will miss EJ and DC though.

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:23 pm

I wondered why there was a distinct lack of protest on here about BBC selling out to Sky - its because we all have sky haha.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:21 pm

Also Cm, there's not a lot we can do when the BBC weren't really interested in paying for the same package they've had over the last few years.

I'll be watching cos I have Sky. If I didn't have Sky, I'd just watch the BBC races and the delayed coverage instead of forking out I reckon.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:11 pm

True there wasnt alot that we could have done, but doesnt stop people moaning about it. I can understand as i was shocked when i heard the news and thought i wouldnt be watch F1 in 2012 and onwards.

Worked out quiet nicely for me and others i guess. Though as someone already said, will it still be free for us in 2013.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:20 pm

It will be interesting to see how big an audience Sky receive when a. BBC HD shows a live race & b. When one of Sky's live races is in direct competition with a premiership football match.

If they recieve relatively low figures at these two times, which I'm predicting then they have an issue. Also especially if it's a boring, Vettel dominated season, then Sky will surely have to cover themselves and charge the current viewers they do have watching it who don't have HD package. I would say the majority of the Sky viewers who are hardcore F1 fans don't have the HD package due to financial issues etc. I am worried though not having the HD package, that the quality is going to be bad. That's why as soon as the BBC HD live races come along I will switch to that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:45 pm

To be honest, i'll probably stick with sky but it depends how well the whole package is - commentary and before show as opposed to the race itself.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:06 pm

That's an interesting point about the viewing figures John, and kind of the opposite of what I originally would have thought. If the viewing figures aren't good this season then they'll have nothing to lose by sticking them on PPV the following season.

In saying that, I think it's still unlikely. Is there any reason for people suspecting it being PPV in 2013 or is it rumour born out of fear?

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveG Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:04 pm

liverbnz wrote:In saying that, I think it's still unlikely. Is there any reason for people suspecting it being PPV in 2013 or is it rumour born out of fear?
Not so much PPV (although it might). What I originally suggested was that the F1 channel would eventually become part of the premium Sports package simply because it's what SKY do with all (or most) of their sport. It started with football and Sky sports1 then SS2, then SS3 - hell they even removed SS news from the Freeview platform. I hope I'm wrong but whether its through a premium or PPV we'll probably have to stump up more cash eventually because under the Sky sports business model only the first drink is on the house !!

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:19 am

What you guys are saying, epecially you Steve, makes sense. But i sure hope youre wrong, but i fear that could well be the case.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveG Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:13 pm

What I'm actually hoping is that in order to get the backing of the Teams and their sponsors the deal negotiated with SKY dictates that the F1 channel remains part of the standard subscription - the next best thing after free to air in a sort of watered down Concorde agreement.
I'm clutching at straws now but hey you never know.

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:07 pm

Isn't the F1 channel already part of the sports premium package?

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Nope. However the criteria to qualify to get the F1 channel for free is either have the HD box and/or the sports package.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveG Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:08 am

TBH I didnt realise the non-HD version was only available as part of the sports package. This therefore blows away my hopes that it would perhaps remain part of the standard subscription - simply because it never was. As you say Critical whether you go HD or sports package you will always have to pay extra. All fine and dandy for 2012 cos as already mentioned I'm getting some brand new kit for my hard earned - but beyond that - damn !!

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:53 pm

tbh im not paying more, i pay for HD anyway as i never saw the point in having a HD tv to run SD sky through it. But if i didnt, i would have to pay more, albeit £11 more, which im sure poeple will resent paying, but £11 a month for what you'll get is godo i think.

Though agian, after 2012 - what then...??? Sad

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:58 pm

Critical_mass wrote:after 2012 - what then...??? Sad

Just enjoy this season CM, anyway the world ends on the 21st December 2012.......so it doesn't matter thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:06 pm

John wrote:
Critical_mass wrote:after 2012 - what then...??? Sad

Just enjoy this season CM, anyway the world ends on the 21st December 2012.......so it doesn't matter thumbsup

The day Fernando Alonso retires is that day and Alessandro will go mental on the world and blow it up Wink

On the subject of Alonso be interest to see how he copes after his divorce from his missus considering it seemed to effect Hamilton

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:39 pm

fernando wrote:
The day Fernando Alonso retires is that day and Alessandro will go mental on the world and blow it up

Laugh Laugh Laugh

I was hoping he'd have a nervous breakdown and become a Lewis Hamilton fan. Wink

fernando wrote:
On the subject of Alonso be interest to see how he copes after his divorce from his missus considering it seemed to effect Hamilton.

Alonso's always struck me as a less emotional type of person (i.e. not the type to wear his heart on his sleeve, as Hamilton usually does). It'll obviously affect him, but I don't think it'll affect his performances too much.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Miz NG Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:47 pm

I'm going to do both at first - watch Sky and the BBC - then make a choice. This is because of the commentators, I think Crofty and Brundle will work really well together and I am a fan of Ben Edwards, so be interesting to see to see how he works with DC. The better commentators will win my viewership.

Wonder who will be commentating on the BTCC this season?

Miz NG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Miz NG wrote:Wonder who will be commentating on the BTCC this season?

Don't mean to be rude but frankly I don't care.

I will also be watching both channels to compare coverage but I think BBC's pre-race coverage will be superior with EJ, DC & JH. They all know what there talking about and will be located within the pit facility, whereas Sky's reporters and presenters have no experience of F1 (Georgie, Lazenby, Brookes & Slater), and no matter how much research they have each undertook in preparation for F1, it will be inadequate to the high standard that BBC set and they will be caught out on numerous occasions while they bed in. I was watching a Sky reporter at the Barcelona test asking Ross Brawn some ridiculous questions like, 'Is this car going to win you the championship' & 'Can you tell us about your new innovitative front wing?. Doh ..............Yes I will tell you everything about our new concept we've been trying to keep under wraps because your Sky TV. Yes I think this car will win the championship even though we havent tested it yet lol!

I think Sky have alot to learn about F1 and the secrecy involved within it regarding the teams. Sky promised so much that they would go beyond what BBC achieved over the last three seasons with a new behind the scenes look at the teams at business, but in reality the coverage will be no more in depth and informative than what the BBC produced. No wonder there roping in Damon Hill and other experts to sort out the show. I do think the commentary will be far superior to BBC however.

Back to top Go down

Post by Miz NG Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:27 pm

John wrote:
Miz NG wrote:Wonder who will be commentating on the BTCC this season?

Don't mean to be rude but frankly I don't care.

Found out who it is, you won't care to to know it's Toby Moody, he of the EuroSport MotoGP! Top news!

Miz NG

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:48 pm

John, i acknowledge your concerns with Sky presenting. Hopefully it wont take too long to get on track, im just glad brundle is there. Though it will still take a few seasons to get to a reasonable competancy level.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:42 am

Yes without Brundle, Sky F1 would be in tatters! I'm not the only one who is concerned regarding the Sky presenting lineup. The BBC team of JH, DC & EJ are a good combination, even if they do occassionaly talk ****, whereas Sky's line up from presenting through to the reporters have a clear and evident lack of F1 knowledge and true understanding of the sport.

Have you seen the youtube videos of the Sky team talking about F1......shocking. Georgie Thompson apparently has F1 in her blood Rolling Eyes and Simon Lazenby sounds like a right muppet who clearly knows nothing about F1 prior to last year. Without autocues.......could be some embarassing moments! Also a major importance for me is the show being presenter from the pit complex, as far as I'm aware Sky are going to be located in a studio showcasing touchscreen technology. I think thats a major advantage for BBC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:50 am

What Sky really need is a proper segment in the show where experts can share their wisdom and accurately analyse what is happening on the track. Doing so in the pitlane would be advantageous as you really are in the thick of it and are never to far away from the teams.

I have an idea what to call this and who should present it...

Alessandros Analysis: Featuring the People of Monza.

This would be one awesome segment of the show. I don't want to share the ideas I have for it as I have forwarded a proposal to Sky. I am just waiting to hear back from them.

It could be a fascinating column here on 606v2. Alessandros Analysis.... This gives me an excellent idea for an article....
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:56 am

The people of v2 are looking forward to an update on this Alessandro and your future 'Analysis' articles.

Forza v2!
Forza new ideas!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:39 pm

Ciambella what was that thing you wanted us to all sign up to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:04 am

@ John

It was to join the fantasy F1 event exclusive to 606v2 members!

https://www.606v2.com/t21230-fantasy-f1-event-monza-606v2-invitational-2012?highlight=monza+inv
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:23 am

i forgot about the F1 league.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:39 pm

Has anyone heard the official sound of Sky F1???

BBC has the iconic 'The Chain' by Fleetwood Mac whereas Sky have chosen to use the song 'Just Drive' as their official F1 sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAsNkW8WmMs - I think it's shocking compared to BBC, another tick for the Beeb!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVwbxG9DXYQ&feature=player_embedded - What it should have been!

Really think Sky are gonna **** up this coverage other than the commentary

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:39 pm

Did Brundle go to Sky?

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:05 pm

Yes, to literally save it from being led by half-wits

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:15 pm

Yes

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:41 pm

It does not matter what music Sky F1 picked as The Chain seems to epitomise F1. ITV tried to make it work with Def Leppard and it worked over time. This is not the greatest song ever for F1 but I think it will grow on people over time.
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:02 pm

Definately The Chain is the one and only F1 theme tune... are they not able to adopt this?

Real shame as i was glad to see it back when the BBC got the F1 rights back!

The Sky HD F1 Channel was showing previews last night (and prior to last night apparently), could be some good documentaries etc on it.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:51 pm

BBC own the rights to the music for F1 so it was always going to be a no go realistically

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:55 pm

Watched the Sky Preview Show and as expected they have thrown the whole kitchen sink at this in terms of hi-tech equipment and gadgetery in an attempt to better the BBC Coverage. From what I saw and the 'ground-breaking promise' of improving F1 coverage, I was left disappointed. As I predicted I don't think F1 coverage can be improved dramatically compared to what the BBC offered. The only 'so-called' improvement they have made is 'race control' where the viewer can access multiple camera angles & live stats throughout the weekend, however I just want to see the race and watch it unfold with two good commentators, not be distracted by pointless twitter updates from Georgie Thompson. I must admit there all very serious players on the Sky F1 channel compared to the knowledgable but enjoyable, controversial and up-for-a-laugh trio of JH, EJ & DC. What was everyone's thoughts?

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:19 am

John wrote:Watched the Sky Preview Show and as expected they have thrown the whole kitchen sink at this in terms of hi-tech equipment and gadgetery in an attempt to better the BBC Coverage. From what I saw and the 'ground-breaking promise' of improving F1 coverage, I was left disappointed. As I predicted I don't think F1 coverage can be improved dramatically compared to what the BBC offered.
I thought all the race data was provided by Formula 1 (ie all broadcasters get the same race graphics).
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:34 pm

I listened to it live this morning on BBC Radio 5 it was great, and I'll watch the highlights later on BBC.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by MyNameIsEarl Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:48 pm

How about a 4th option?

"Gave up on F1 completely."

I will not pay the extortionate amount of money to Sky.

Instead I am prepared to pay for other, IMO more interesting motor racing events:

WEC
FIA GT
F2

just to name a few.

I lost interest in F1 in the Schumacher years, the last few years, with constant rule changes and no chance for overtaking, are not much better. This was the incentive I needed.

Adios F1!

Next, I will start bugging my MP to see what could be done to abolish the TV licence. I admire BBC especially for BBC World Service, BBC 4 TV channel, and 6 Music. But they are not value for money when it comes to what they are supposed to provide.

MyNameIsEarl

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:09 am

MyNameIsEarl wrote:Next, I will start bugging my MP to see what could be done to abolish the TV licence. I admire BBC especially for BBC World Service, BBC 4 TV channel, and 6 Music. But they are not value for money when it comes to what they are supposed to provide.
The thing for me about the BBC is it has expanded beyond its means. In the past 20 years the licence fee has increased 40% yet the number of nation radio stations 200% and tv stations 300%.

The BBC has added quantity as the expense of quality. They would be far better if they scrapped BBC3, BBC4 and their other extra channels and likewise with 1Xtra, 6 Music, 5 Live Extra etc

They could still cater for everyone with 2 national tv channels and 5 radio stations and developing a red button meets iplayer facility.

On the Formula 1 coverage, people have compared it to the Premier League/ Champions League football moving to Sky but this comparison is not quite correct in that the Premier League/ Champions League is domestic/ continental and more comparable to British F3/ Formula3 Euroseries.

In Formula 1 they compete for the World Drivers/ Constructors Championships and is surely closer to the football World Cup?

It was also the BBC that contacted Sky about the deal. Were ITV interested The races split between the BBC and ITV would have been better for the 6-7m British F1 fans.

I also don't see why Bernie Ecclestone couldn't have insist that Sky show the races free and to the widest possible audience.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next