The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How are you watching the F1 this season?

+11
Miz NG
Fernando
liverbnz
Belgarion of Riva
SteveG
Alessandro Ciambella
Gregers
harryspiv
Critical_mass
dyrewolfe
sportform
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How are you watching F1 this season?

How are you watching the F1 this season? - Page 2 Vote_lcap32%How are you watching the F1 this season? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 10 ]
How are you watching the F1 this season? - Page 2 Vote_lcap68%How are you watching the F1 this season? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 68% 
[ 21 ]
How are you watching the F1 this season? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%How are you watching the F1 this season? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 31

How are you watching the F1 this season? - Page 2 Empty How are you watching the F1 this season?

Post by sportform Mon 13 Feb 2012, 1:27 am

First topic message reminder :

I was just wondering how people will be watching the F1 this season. Are you sticking with the 10 BBC games? Do you already have a Sky Sports or Sky HD package? Will you be signing up to a Sky Sports/ Sky HD package to watch all the races live? (Sky are not selling the F1 channel on its own).

Answer the poll and feel free to leave any notes below.

I personally don't think Sky will get the subscribers/ viewers they will be hoping for and I think despite the fact that the coverage will be fantastic on Sky. I think the sport will lose out in terms of interest. I am already not as interested as in previous season due to the fact that the first two races not being live on free television.

I won't be able to see some of my favourite races this year such as Australia, Canada, Italy, Japan as well as the new US Grand Prix.

With some other sports such as football and golf, Sky only get around 15-20% of the viewers that free television gets for similar events.

Sign the petition http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/57
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

How are you watching the F1 this season? - Page 2 Empty Re: How are you watching the F1 this season?

Post by sportform Mon 19 Mar 2012, 2:34 pm

I just read that Channel 4 where interested in the Formula 1 coverage but the BBC weren't interested in doing a deal with them.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

How are you watching the F1 this season? - Page 2 Empty Re: How are you watching the F1 this season?

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 19 Mar 2012, 4:30 pm

I watched online. Didn't get HD picture quality but it was decent enough. Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 25 Mar 2012, 9:45 am

Unbelieveable!

Been watching online streams from TSN, a Canadian company. They use the BBC's live coverage (DC and Anderson on commentary and BBC graphics).

So, in Canada you can watch live BBC coverage of F1, yet here in Britain, you can only get extended highlights.

Utterly ridiculous!
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 25 Mar 2012, 10:05 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:Unbelieveable!

Been watching online streams from TSN, a Canadian company. They use the BBC's live coverage (DC and Anderson on commentary and BBC graphics).

So, in Canada you can watch live BBC coverage of F1, yet here in Britain, you can only get extended highlights.

Utterly ridiculous!

no they buy the coverage of bbc?

Thats a good thing! BBC dont make enough out of the license - they have to sell there stuff abroad, otherwise we would just be whinging more and more because we would be getting less and less on BBC

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 26 Mar 2012, 3:07 pm

mystiroakey wrote:

Utterly ridiculous!

Thats a good thing! BBC dont make enough out of the license - they have to sell there stuff abroad, otherwise we would just be whinging more and more because we would be getting less and less on BBC

Thats not what I was on about.

Of course the Beeb sell their coverage around the world, like all international broadcasters.

My point was that people in other countries can watch the BBC's F1 coverage live and unedited (and FREE), yet thanks to the deal with Sky, the BBC's coverage in the UK has to be edited down to a highlights package and shown hours later.

THAT'S what I find ridiculous.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Mar 2012, 3:12 pm

im watching on sky f1 channel

dyre-BBC are showing the european races live, they are only showing highlights of the races that arent in europe.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 3:16 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

Utterly ridiculous!

Of course the Beeb sell their coverage around the world, like all international broadcasters.

My point was that people in other countries can watch the BBC's F1 coverage live and unedited (and FREE), yet thanks to the deal with Sky, the BBC's coverage in the UK has to be edited down to a highlights package and shown hours later.

I dont understand why you think this is ridiculas at all- the staions have bought it, id much rather the stations buy the civerage of the bbc than some other station(like sky for example, or even worse a forign broadcaster) because at least it gives money back to bbc- What you are annoyed about is that some forign consumers get coverage for free- thats life dude, in the uk we get things for free that others dont!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 26 Mar 2012, 4:14 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

Utterly ridiculous!

I dont understand why you think this is ridiculas at all- the staions have bought it, id much rather the stations buy the civerage of the bbc than some other station(like sky for example, or even worse a forign broadcaster) because at least it gives money back to bbc- What you are annoyed about is that some forign consumers get coverage for free- thats life dude, in the uk we get things for free that others dont!

You're clearly not getting the point...or are being deliberately obtuse. Rolling Eyes

I have NO PROBLEM with the BBC making money, selling its services overseas.

However, its clear the irony of being unable to receive a service from our own national broadcasting service, which people in other countries CAN receive is completely lost on you. Doh

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Mon 26 Mar 2012, 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 26 Mar 2012, 4:15 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:im watching on sky f1 channel

dyre-BBC are showing the european races live, they are only showing highlights of the races that arent in europe.

Are you sure? As I understood it, the BBC were only showing half the races live, regardless of location.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 26 Mar 2012, 4:17 pm

China (live) - qualifying 0600 BST 14 April; race 0700 BST 15 April

Bahrain (highlights) - qualifying 0530 BST 21 April; race 1730 BST 22 April

Spain (live) - qualifying 1210 BST 13 May; race 1210 BST 14 May

Monaco (live) - qualifying 1210 BST 26 May; race 1210 BST 27 May

Canada (highlights) - qualifying 2230 BST 9 June; race 2230 BST 10 June

Europe (live) - qualifying 1210 BST 23 June; race 1210 BST 24 June

Britain (live) - qualifying 1210 BST 7 July; race 1210 BST 8 July

Germany (highlights) - qualifying 1730 BST 21 July; race BBC Two 1730 BST 22 July

Hungary (highlights) - qualifying BBC Two 1730 BST 28 July; race BBC Two 1730 BST, 29 July

Belgium (live) - qualifying 1210 BST 1 Sep; race 1210 BST 2 Sep

Italy (highlights) - qualifying 1730 BST 8 Sep; race 1730 BST 9 Sep

Singapore (live) - qualifying 1215 BST 22 Sep; race 1210 BST 23 Sep

Japan (highlights) - qualifying 1300 BST 6 Oct; race 1400 BST 7 Oct

Korea (live) - qualifying 0500 BST 13 Oct; race 0600 BST 14 Oct

India (highlights) - qualifying 1300 BST 27 Oct; race 1400 BST 28 Oct

Abu Dhabi (live) - qualifying 1210 GMT 3 Nov; race 1210 GMT 4 Nov

USA (highlights) - qualifying 2230 GMT 17 Nov; race 2230 GMT 18 Nov

Brazil (live) - qualifying 1500 GMT 24 Nov; race 1500 GMT 25 Nov

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 4:24 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

Utterly ridiculous!

You're clearly not getting the point...or are being deliberately obtuse. Rolling Eyes

However, its clear the irony of being unable to receive a service from our own national broadcasting service, which people in other countries CAN receive is completely lost on you. How are you watching the F1 this season? - Page 2 56390

I get the irony- was just trying to break it down as i think you were missing the important point in it all- that was your argument would have been just as valid whoever broadcasted the f1 abroad. I think its a good thing that the bbc have sold there coverage, even if we have been royaly screwed in the uk by f1 selling out to sky

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Mar 2012, 4:44 pm

to be honest sky's coverage of f1 is way too long, they have 90mins coverage before the race and about 90mins of coverage after the race its way too long!

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Mon 26 Mar 2012, 6:19 pm

Well if you don't like it you can turn over and watch something else. From what I have seen, Sky have been superb and it's only early days.
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 26 Mar 2012, 6:21 pm

i think its decent in fairness

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Mar 2012, 6:45 pm

Alessandro Ciambella wrote:Well if you don't like it you can turn over and watch something else. From what I have seen, Sky have been superb and it's only early days.

bit hostile response there alessandro.........i was only stating a point..

I THINK THE COMMENTARY during the race is very good, i just dont get the point of a ridiclously long coverage.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 26 Mar 2012, 7:05 pm

you could always just flick the channel on 5 mins before the race?

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Mon 26 Mar 2012, 7:10 pm

Nothing hostile or rude intended!! Very Happy
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Tue 27 Mar 2012, 1:42 pm

I think the Sky coverage has been great to be honest. Only gripes are the build up is a bit long and that Geogie Thompson is a bit pointless.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Tue 27 Mar 2012, 1:46 pm

Georgie should the the lead anchor. Thats the only thing I would change. I have heard that Johnny Herbert will be joining the team later in the year as well.
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 27 Mar 2012, 1:58 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

Utterly ridiculous!

However, its clear the irony of being unable to receive a service from our own national broadcasting service, which people in other countries CAN receive is completely lost on you. How are you watching the F1 this season? - Page 2 56390

I get the irony- was just trying to break it down as i think you were missing the important point in it all- that was your argument would have been just as valid whoever broadcasted the f1 abroad. I think its a good thing that the bbc have sold there coverage, even if we have been royaly screwed in the uk by f1 selling out to sky

I think you're stuck in your own logic loop there.

I never said it would have been any different with another TV company. I'll say it AGAIN, maybe this time it will sink in. I KNOW TV companies sell their programmes / sports coverage to foreign media companies. The BBC is no different to anyone else in that respect and I KNOW they need any extra revenue they can get.

I would be saying the same thing had it been ITV or Channel 4 that had done the deal with Sky, while selling live, unedited coverage abroad (though they have less of an excuse as they get advertising revenue).

Once again, I am VERY HAPPY that the Beeb sell their coverage abroad to make more money, BUT THAT ISN'T THE ISSUE HERE!

Am I getting through yet?

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Tue 27 Mar 2012, 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Tue 27 Mar 2012, 2:06 pm

Alessandro Ciambella wrote:Georgie should the the lead anchor. Thats the only thing I would change. I have heard that Johnny Herbert will be joining the team later in the year as well.

Yeah you see now, that probably would have worked replacing Lazenby with her. But then Lazenby isnt THAT bad.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 27 Mar 2012, 2:19 pm

I don't like him just has a face you want to boxing all day long

Disclaimer: I am not in anyway promoting violence Whistle

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Tue 27 Mar 2012, 2:28 pm

Yeah, he is okay. You get used to Jake And I suppose you have to adjust to the new personality of Lazenby.

I think Georgie would have done a good job. She is very good in the magazine show with big Teddy Kravitz!

I wonder if the main race show would be more beneficial with a 3 man assualt. A playful fun charater like Eddie Irvine maybe? EJ is very good on the BBC. I wonder if it could be replicated on Sky. Maybe this is why Herbert is coming in.
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 27 Mar 2012, 6:56 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

Utterly ridiculous!

I think you're stuck in your own logic loop there.

I never said it would have been any different with another TV company. I'll say it AGAIN, maybe this time it will sink in. I KNOW TV companies sell their programmes / sports coverage to foreign media companies. The BBC is no different to anyone else in that respect and I KNOW they need any extra revenue they can get.

I would be saying the same thing had it been ITV or Channel 4 that had done the deal with Sky, while selling live, unedited coverage abroad (though they have less of an excuse as they get advertising revenue).

Once again, I am VERY HAPPY that the Beeb sell their coverage abroad to make more money, BUT THAT ISN'T THE ISSUE HERE!

Am I getting through yet?

No your really not- what do you mean about itv or c4 doing a deal with sky?

what do you think has happened- that the beeb has done a deal with sky?- you really are misinterpreting the situation- its the FOM that has sold the rights to sky and the beeb vat the same time- sky trumping the beebs bid therefore getting more coverage- not the beeb selling on there rights to show f1 live!

This is all about FOM wanting more money from F1 coverage in the UK and the bbc not being able to afford the premium, yes they have sold there coverage abroad- and good on them for that. But the reality is any so called partnership with sky and the beeb is through neccesity because the bbc has to save costs.

edit i have read up on it and you may be right- it could well have been bbc making an arrangemnet with sky and fom agreeing to it- there overstreatched themselves and probally had no option with the cost of showing f1. However the point still stands its good that they are still gaining revenue from selling the coverage to other countries.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Tue 27 Mar 2012, 8:56 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:im watching on sky f1 channel

It will be interesting to see how the viewing figures compare in the next race when the BBC and Sky are going head-to-head. The first two races on Sky have seen around a 75% decrease from the same race on the BBC last year.

Sky's average viewing figures increase to just under 1m this weekend from just over 0.5m the week before but that was expected with the later start.

The BBC only got an average of 1m viewers for their highlights this week compared to 2.7m the week before. I put this down to the fact that Alonso won the race compared to Button the week before. Had McLaren won in Malaysia, I'm sure the BBC highlights programme would have got more viewers.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Tue 27 Mar 2012, 9:05 pm

Here is an interesting article from http://thef1times.com/ :-

"Formula 1 could have remained free-to-air for the foreseeable future had F1 bosses considered the bid presented by terrestrial broadcaster, Channel 4.

The recent announcement that the BBC would share coverage of the 2012 to 2018 season with subscription service Sky, came as a shock to many fans, especially those that can't afford such a service which it's estimated would cost around £600 annually.

It's believed the BBC blocked a rival bid from Channel 4, to instead partner with Sky in order to avoid one of their biggest rivals securing the rights' to host F1 free-to-air - leaving the BBC without any coverage.
Bernie Ecclestone is also thought to have backed the BBC/Sky deal, despite earlier declaring that pay-to-view would be suicidal for the sport and its sponsors.

The main motivator behind Ecclestone's reasoning is that Channel 4 offered £45 million a year for the contract, £5m more than the BBC currently pay, but £15m less than the announced BBC/Sky deal in which the BBC contributes £15m for half the races, with Sky paying the remaining £45m for exclusive rights to show all 20 grands prix live.

Documents, which have now been removed, revealed that C4 produced a ten-point plan which would have seen the channel show all coverage live, including practice, alongside detailed analysis with several hours of documentaries and historical footage.

C4 were among many others channel, including ITV and Channel 5 to have shown an interest in taking over the rights, however the deal offered by C4 was believed to be the only viable alternative with ITV and C5 wanting to takeover from 2013, rather than 2012."

Here is a link to the Graphic House website that shows designs for Channel 4's Formula 1 coverage:-

http://www.graphicalhouse.co.uk/projects/channel-4
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 27 Mar 2012, 9:20 pm

thanks for that sportsville- so the bbc had no other choice really, and are saving 25million quid ta year o boot(or 30m a year if they had to match c4's offer)

I will admit i would be gutted if i didnt have sky! i would have possibly bought it just for the F1

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2