The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbury 17th Feb

2 posters

Go down

Newbury 17th Feb Empty Newbury 17th Feb

Post by Backrower678 Thu 16 Feb 2012, 11:53 pm

I dont post on 606 alot however i do read the forums very regulary (mainly the rugby) however i used to read the old 606 forum on horse racing on a daily basis but the same people seem to not be on the V2 version. I enjoy the odd bet in most sports and due to my family being very into their horses (granda used to do point to points and train horses, quite successfully) it is something i like to follow in spare time.

Anywhoooo was just looking at the racing for Newbury tomorrow and boy is there some talent running and some decent betting to be had i reckon. Going to throw out some of my picks and what ill be backing, due to work i wont see any of the racing but will use the internet on my phone to keep updated when i can.

12:40 there are some serious contenders going here however i think Long Run will have too much for the rest of the field and will win with The Giant Bolster coming 2nd.

1:15 again some very good horse running here but i cant look past Zarkandar for the win, on the EW front Ciceron and Desert Cry may be worth a punt.

2:25 im undecided between 2 horse Junior and What an Oscar, i really think Junior has a genuine shot at the Grand National this year and in this race too. What an Oscar ran very well 2 races ago and he has a good shout here.

2:55 Going for Our Mick here dont know why but i just fancy this horse of J Maguires.

what i going to back is an accumulator on Long Run, Zarkandar, Junior and Our Mick to win.

EW i going to back Ciceron and probably Desert Cry too in the 1:15 .

Backrower678

Back to top Go down

Newbury 17th Feb Empty Re: Newbury 17th Feb

Post by racingnut Sun 19 Feb 2012, 6:59 pm

Super Saturday became Fantastic Friday,well done the powers that be for acting quickly to save a valuable and informative card,well done Betfair for sticking with the big money purses and well done Newbury Exec for liasing with both parties on free admission.Racing shoots itself in the foot all to often so when it gets something right it should be applauded.
The Friday fayre provided was top class.
SPRINTER SACRE was electric,cant ever recall a novice running that free yet still manage to fence with total assurance and the way he sauntered clear of two useful rivals was top class personified.The Arkle looks his for the losing.He could literally be anything,lets hope and pray he stays in one piece so he can be enjoyed over the coming seasons.
LONG RUN was less encouraging although he did,for my reckoning at least,have some plus points.I thought his round of jumping was his best since he came over here from France,aside from a clumsy effort at the water jump and a slight brush through the15th,he fenced adequately and at times fluently.He has his own way of getting from A to B and you aint going to change it.He travelled sweet enough and when he went to the front early in the straight he looked like powering away but he almost seemed to crave company and after the last he came close to downing tools and allowing Burton Port to steal a victory.Connections say they were pleased with the run and that he was idling,the usual stuff,but you wouldnt want him doing the same at Cheltenham.In the cold light of day,giving the second 10lb and a half length beating probably isnt as bad an effort as people are saying,giving a rival a 10lb beating over 3m is like beating somebody by a second over 100metres,its an eternity in real terms,its the difference between a true Grade One performer and the rest.His reputation maybe slightly tarnished but he still represents the level that the rest are trying to achieve,save for Kauto Star.
ZARKANDAR won the Betfair Hurdle but im still trying to work that one out.No gallop,pulled hard,got outpaced at the fourth last,got baulked by a fallen rival,yet still managed to find enough to collar the leader close home and prevail.Champion Hurdle pretentions? Not for me and for one main reason,he doesnt travel well enough.With the modern day rejig of Prestbury Park,the Champion Hurdle has become a race that can almost be won on the flat,2 flights in the last half mile mean that they are really trapping from the top of the hill and something off the bridle and getting its ears scrubbed off wont be getting involved.Solid form nevertheless but some way off what will be needed.
MONTBAZON won a really strong renewal of what is normally just a run of the mill novice hurdle.Liked the way he travelled,his jumping was adequate but what really grabbed me was the way he ran right to the line,finishing off like a good horse,just whats needed up the famous Hill.Win,lose or draw in the Supreme Novice, he is still a horse of infinite promise.
I reckon we might have seen one certain Festival winner in the shape of SPRINTER SACRE and two who will be bang there in LONG RUN,who must go close in the Blue Riband ,and MONTBAZON who seems to tick all the right boxes for the Festival opener.

racingnut

Back to top Go down