The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Cricket Equipment Guide - Testing Testing 1,2,3 .......

+2
Fists of Fury
Barrington Sports
6 posters

Go down

New Cricket Equipment Guide - Testing Testing 1,2,3 ....... Empty New Cricket Equipment Guide - Testing Testing 1,2,3 .......

Post by Barrington Sports Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:17 am

We have recently put together a technical advice guide on cricket equipment via a new independent website. Please take a look by going to: http://www.cricketequipmentguide.co.uk/

We are yet to formally 'launch' the site, as we still plan to add some additional interactive imagery around each product area.

However, we are most of the way there now, so thought 606v2 members might be a good place to test what people think.

Good, bad, or indifferent? Hopefully there is enough there to get the thumbs up!

Barrington Sports

Back to top Go down

New Cricket Equipment Guide - Testing Testing 1,2,3 ....... Empty Re: New Cricket Equipment Guide - Testing Testing 1,2,3 .......

Post by Fists of Fury Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:46 am

Good stuff guys thumbsup Very useful to younger folk just getting in to the game, and a learning curve for those slightly longer in the tooth, too.

I think it covers some excellent points that may otherwise have been overlooked by someone purchasing a piece of equipment i.e. knocking in a bat properly etc.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

New Cricket Equipment Guide - Testing Testing 1,2,3 ....... Empty Re: New Cricket Equipment Guide - Testing Testing 1,2,3 .......

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:00 am

Just had a look and it looks good to me, lots of useful info in there, and some pretty handy advice too. One mild criticism, both keeper and batsmen pads have exactly the same paragraph in the "purchasing decisions" bit. Now this me just be my personal opinion, but as a keeper with keeping pads I look first at comfort and mobility, with protection a rather distant second (decent keeper use their hands to catch the ball anyway Wink) whereas with batting pads it's much more of an equilibrum between the two.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:57 am

Overall it's pretty sound advice. My two-pence worth:

1) Prices: unfortunately I think in general you do get what you pay for, with some exceptions. One suggestion is to purchase in the off-season (around now) or even better right at the end of the season when there are often bargains to be had as shops try to shift last year's kit, but unfortunately this is a double-edged sword in that the kit which wasn't shifted occasionally just isn't very good. But honestly nowadays you're unlikely to get much resembling a decent bat for less than £150, and decent gloves will set you back £50, shoes £60-80.

2) Bats: in my experience the most common mistake made, in particular (but not only) by kids, is to have a bat too heavy for them, thinking that this will enable them to hit the ball harder. Pro players use heavy bats, but
- they are heavily pressed so wouldn't feel their weight
- the top players are fantastic athletes who can pick up far more weight than your average cricketer, and your growing one in particular.

Also, a heavy bat isn't the only way to send the ball further, bat-speed is another key component, and of course this is far more easily achieved with a lighter bat.

As a guideline, if you can't comfortably play a drive all the way through (backlift to follow through) using only your top hand then the bat is too heavy.

I'm a big fan of the Harrow-size for 14-15 year-olds, glad that's starting to come through more regularly.

On knocking-in: 3 hours is on the short side for me. I'd do 45mins to an hour a day for 5 days. Then use on old-balls, then in nets, then in a match. If you don't have a bat hammer, use an old ball wrapped in a sock, this works just as well (if slightly more cumbersome). Very sound advice otherwise on the site, including good guides on knocking in edges. I'd also knock in pre-knocked in bats for an hour or two.

2) Balls: very important! As it says, poor balls break bats!

The ball has to be round (this may sound silly, but is worth close inspection). It should also be symmetric about the seam. Look out in particular for any rough patches or dents, any paint marks (on non-red), a too-pronounced seam (it will hurt your fingers as well as break bats), uneven surface (e.g. bumps) and the join being too sharp. Some balls are also too hard or have a heavy feel: they are likely bat breakers.

Most white balls are of unbelievably poor quality. Kookabura's are great but very expensive. Avoid Surridge (I may get in trouble for saying this, but last time we used them we broke 4 bats in 2 games!) at any cost, as well as cheap options from the subcontinent. They're rubbish.

Practice balls are a must for anyone serious about their cricket.

3) Gloves: almost as important as the bat, they have to feel comfortable whilst affording suitable protection for your level. Again, avoid gloves which feel rigid or heavy.

4) Pads: you need to be able to run comfortably in them. To be honest I am yet to find a pair of pads which doesn't afford suitable protection.

5) Shoes: honestly I still reckon Aasics are in a league of their own here: comfy, solid protection and breathability. Always worth buying a set of plastic studs for the one day where you play on synthetic or the pitch is doing a Galle impression.

IMPORTANT (and not raised on the site, I think it should be): fast bowlers should always buy a pair at least a size too big for them, otherwise they will probably experience bruising. I have heard some coaches suggest fast bowlers shouldn't have spikes on the heel part of their front foot. Personally I think this is nonsense.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:05 am

Nice work their Mike OK Agree on bat-breakers - I'd say £2 balls from Sports Direct tend to fall into that category.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Barrington Sports Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:16 pm

Great stuff guys - much appreciated. We shall look to tweak a few areas over the coming weeks on the back of your excellent advice. Keep the comments coming!

Barrington Sports

Back to top Go down

Post by elmerdoyle Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:30 pm

Great!! I found your website cricketequipmentguide.co.uk is very informative. You are providing very good information of cricket equipment. Also, I found similar website which is providing cricket equipment in UK, which is vks.com If you know any more resource related to cricket equipment then please share!

elmerdoyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down