The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting children started in golf

5 posters

Go down

Getting children started in golf Empty Getting children started in golf

Post by Fader Sat 18 Feb 2012, 7:28 am

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

My son is 6 years old and wants to learn the game, I don't often have him as my kids live in Chester with their mum, my daughter is 4 and she has fleeting interest but mainly because my lad wants to try it.

I've had them this half term week and they really kept pestering me to go to the driving range until I relented last night. They both really enjoyed it especially my boy, I was wondering does anyone know if I can get a decent set of clubs for a 6 year old and a good way to get him into playing. Its not ideal as at the moment he'll only be able to play when he's here but if he really likes it I know his mum will support him and take him to play down in Chester.

So help please?

Fader

Back to top Go down

Getting children started in golf Empty Re: Getting children started in golf

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 18 Feb 2012, 3:32 pm

Fader,
I started my son in the back garden at two and at the practice range when he was about 3; by the time he was 4 he could play nine holes. If you can't find children's clubs to fit your lad, I'm sure your local pro knows an amateur clubmaker who can reshaft a couple of woods, a few irons and a putter. That's all he needs - one thing that worked well with me when we started out was that I'd lug his clubs and just use a wedge and a putter so that we'd hit about the same distance.
Father/son golf is one of the best parenting experiences. Enjoy it!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Sat 18 Feb 2012, 4:15 pm

Don't have any direct experience to share, but I'm sure they sell junior clubs suitable for different age groups at the likes of Direct Golf (thinking of Jaxx brand in particular). Perhaps have a look at their and/or competitor websites or pop into one of their stores if convenient - I find the staff at my local branch quite helpful when I have equipment questions.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sat 18 Feb 2012, 8:33 pm

Fader ,

There are loads of kids clubs both online and in the chain stores. I bought a set of barbie clubs for my daughter at American golf when she was 4. They were perfect: a wood an iron and a putter . Also came with accessories like barbie tees , ball markers and balls. All in a pink bag of course!

She's 7 now and i upgraded her to a set of jaxx clubs at xmas. 5 clubs and a stand bag for £70 i think. You can get all different sizes at a decent price. If you want quality callaway etc do kids sets but i don't see the point spending £200 when they are growing so fast .

You need to ask doon and maverick about teaching as both have good golfing daughters
. They post on the other site mainly. I take my daughter to the range and play games in the short game area. We're lucky that there is dinosaurs adventure golf too. Hoping to step up to pitch and putt this year . Its great fun watching her improve and i can't wait til she can join me on the course.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 19 Feb 2012, 9:20 am

Fader
At the risk of being a killjoy, kids don't really need coaching until about 8/9 years old and even at that age it must be very gentle.
At the moment it's~~ Hands together, head still, slow back and quick all the way through.~~ That's all they can cope with.

Make it as much fun as possible, loads of laughs and lots of praise for good shots. My daughter started joining me on the practice ground aged six. Pacing out 'record' drives is good and putting practice.
She started playing ladies 9 hole competitions aged eight and lost to the previous years British Champion on the 18th hole in the semi final of the SW England Champs when she was a 4 handicap 13 year old.
Cost me £30 as I had told her that I would give her a fiver for every hole she took her past the 12th.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down