The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super XV kicks off Friday night!

+11
Impossible Standards
Jenifer McLadyboy
George Carlin
bluestonevedder
Portnoy
chewed_mintie
aucklandlaurie
Woodstock
Biltong
MonkeyOwain12
Taylorman
15 posters

Go down

Super XV kicks off Friday night! Empty Super XV kicks off Friday night!

Post by Taylorman Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:48 am

Fri 24 February Blues v Crusaders Eden Park, Auckland
Fri. 24 February Brumbies v W Force Canberra Stadium, Canberra
Fri. 24 February Bulls v Sharks Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
Sat. 25 February Chiefs v Highlanders Waikato Stadium, Hamilton
Sat. 25 February Waratahs v Reds ANZ Stadium, Sydney
Sat. 25 February Stormers v Hurricanes Newlands Stadium, Cape Town
Sat. 25 February Lions v Cheetahs Coca-Cola Park, Johannesburg

Blues vs Crusaders to start the tournament and end it at Eden Park on 4 August? Yahoo

In all honesty compared to last year crusaders have a dream draw. No overseas matches till 31 March- perfect warm up matches before hand and last overseas match on May 13th, with the test series a near 10 weeks at home before the semi's.

This week for us the biggie obviously the first one. In SA the Bulls vs Sharks is an early big match up and Reds vs Warratahs.

The only cross conference match what I believe will be a mismatch with the Stormers hammering a crazy Hammet coached Canes team- my pick for bottom 2 this year.

With the big 3 matchups the table will already look interesting regardless of the results with all 6 potential eventual winners.

In amongst the 6N this weekend there's a LOT of Rugby on... Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Super XV kicks off Friday night! Empty Re: Super XV kicks off Friday night!

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 5:37 am

I'm catching the Tahs Reds game this weekend. My first Super game, I'm very excited for it!!

I think that there'll be two very strong sides from each country this year...

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 22 Feb 2012, 5:51 am

The Stormers have their problems, with players gone missing and some injuries, they had mixed warm up results and personally I won't be surprised if they struggle this year.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Wed 22 Feb 2012, 5:56 am

Come on the Rebel's, few good lads in to strengthen the squad, won't be champ's but will shock a few this season again.
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 22 Feb 2012, 6:08 am

Biltong
Surely you're not going to tell me that the Hurricanes will knock off the Stormers,especially after I just put a wee bet on it.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 22 Feb 2012, 6:15 am

well they lost their warm up against the Cheetahs, they have soeme niggling injuries to star players, Allistair coetzze is expermenting with habana at centre, their hooker Deon fourie is out for a month, Jean de Villiers and Jaque fourie is gone.

We'll have to see mate.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 22 Feb 2012, 6:23 am

gee Biltong you got me nervous..

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 22 Feb 2012, 7:33 am

No worries laurie. Any coach who sacks one of the 5 nominees for irb player of the year is an idiot.
Canes have lost several fine players and havnt picked up many to write home about.
An away first up in SA for a rebuilt team is a worse case scenario.
Shock value only in their favour.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 22 Feb 2012, 9:35 am

Probably for the first time, my expectations of the Hurricanes are zilch. As long as we finish higher than the Lions, Cheetahs, Force and Rebels I will be happy because that lot are Poopie

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 22 Feb 2012, 9:43 am

Well I think and hope the Lions progress a little further in the competition this year. They improved by leaps and bounds during the Currie Cup last year and played exquisite rugby under john Mitchell. A number of players really threw down the guantlet(where have I read that before) and showed vast improvement in confidence and performance.

I still think they don't have the depth, but as long as they can put out their best 22 they might surprise a few teams.

My expectations of the Bulls, Stromers and Cheetahs aren't very high though.

I think there is only one SA franchise to worry about this year and that is the Sharks.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 22 Feb 2012, 9:51 am

I don't really care about SH club rugby.

I do however think that there should be a SH sticky.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 22 Feb 2012, 9:56 am

Portnoy wrote: I don't really care about SH club rugby.

You care enough to post though? The Super XV comes under Club Rugby, deal with it! I don't care for English Club Rugby but you won't see me whinging about it!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:02 am

Any word on when Haskell will make his debut? Quite looking forward to see how he handles it!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:06 am

Possibly next week. Will he fit in though? Jamie Joeph is massive on discipline and a team ethic

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:09 am

We'll see. Apparently he's matured quite a bit, and is a bit more focused on his rugby. Think he could be a great bench option- covering all 3 backrow positions, and with his physical attributes. Just want to see how he performs, from an English perspective.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:12 am

chewed_mintie wrote:Possibly next week. Will he fit in though? Jamie Joeph is massive on discipline and a team ethic
For all that he poses for ladies' spank calendars in his spare time, I don't think that there can be any doubt that Haskell is a hard worker.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:16 am

Think he won't be propping up the bench mate, he will be playing off the back with Thompson at 7 I would think. That's a pretty good combo....not sure who will play 6 though.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:18 am

George Carlin wrote:
chewed_mintie wrote:Possibly next week. Will he fit in though? Jamie Joeph is massive on discipline and a team ethic
For all that he poses for ladies' spank calendars in his spare time, I don't think that there can be any doubt that Haskell is a hard worker.

But he's a bit of an ego. Joseph is old school and won't muck about with him. I can only see this as a benefit to Haskell and English Rugby by the way.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:22 am

chewed_mintie wrote:

You care enough to post though? The Super XV comes under Club Rugby, deal with it! I don't care for English Club Rugby but you won't see me whinging about it!

All this is very true. Plus there are many NH v2 punters who take a particular interest in SH club-cum-franchise affairs (most of whom believe that rugby is improved as a product whilst the doors are locked and cross-bolted against intruders).
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:34 am

Portnoy wrote:
chewed_mintie wrote:

All this is very true. Plus there are many NH v2 punters who take a particular interest in SH club-cum-franchise affairs (most of whom believe that rugby is improved as a product whilst the doors are locked and cross-bolted against intruders).

Promotion/Relegation is another topic for another day but it depends on the priorities of that country. For instance, NZ is a pyramid structure where everything is done to benefit the All Blacks. The result is the most successful rugby team and one of the most successful sporting teams of all time. In England, you have a garbled mess with a club-centric structure who would do anything to benefit themselves over the national team. I pity the fool who tries to work out a development path which actually works. A locked box makes for more attractive, fearless rugby and players not afraid to express themselves. Every now and then it is our downfall but I wouldn’t have it any other way – the results back me up on this.

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:40 am

Yeah we also have a pyramid structure, problem is ours is a scam. Yahoo
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:40 am

Absolutely Mintie.

And that is my last comment on the subject re: erectile function vs sport.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 22 Feb 2012, 1:41 pm

Funny how the 2 best leagues in the world have no relegation. Laugh

I'll be cheering on the Tahs. (For my sins) No Rocky Crying or Very sad and several others too.
No Cooper for the Reds though.

Leinster fans may also want to watch Steven Sykes on Friday for the Sharks. See if he can put a bit of effort in south of the equator.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Wed 22 Feb 2012, 2:12 pm

Can't wait for the Super 15 to start. Love the comp and rugby that's on offer. Hope the highlanders do well again this season would be good for the NZ conference.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 22 Feb 2012, 2:13 pm

Can't wait for this to start!

Looking forward to seeing how Haskell goes over the season.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 4:27 pm

Yahoo Last couple of seasons I've really began to enjoy the competition. Just a shame some of the tournament overlaps with the NH stuff otherwise it would be just about total all year round rugby!

Cheer for the Stormers but not so confident this year. Enjoy watching the games involving the SA teams the most due to what I feel is the greater intensity of their play but enjoy watching most of the games. I'm another one interested in how Haskell goes and made a point of watching the Melbourne games last year because of Delve and Cipriani (when he played).

It also gives me a much greater understanding of the players involved in the SH national teams.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:30 pm

I predict the Hurricanes will shock everyone this year and not come dead last.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:37 am

NSW and Qld sides have been named.

This year marks the 130th anniversary of the first match between the two states. 291 matches played with NSW leading overall, but Queensland leading over the past 50 years, and through the professional era.

NSW Waratahs: Adam Ashley-Cooper, Tom Kingston, Rob Horne, Tom Carter, Brackin Karauria-Henry, Daniel Halangahu (capt), Sarel Pretorius; Wycliff Palu, Chris Alcock, Dave Dennis, Dean Mumm, Kane Douglas, Sekope Kepu, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Benn Robinson. Reserves: Damien Fitzpatrick, Paddy Ryan, Lopeti Timani, Jono Jenkins, Brendan McKibbin, Bernard Foley, Nathan Trist.

Queensland: Luke Morahan, Dom Shipperley, Anthony Faingaa, Ben Tapuai, Digby Ioane, Mike Harris, Will Genia; Jake Schatz, Beau Robinson, Scott Higginbotham, James Horwill (capt), Rob Simmons, James Slipper, James Hanson, Ben Daley. Res: Albert Anae, Greg Holmes, Van Humphries, Radike Samo, Liam Gill, Ben Lucas, Jono Lance.

Berrick Barnes is missing for NSW with a groin strain, and in general the backline looks a little pedestrian. Some good ins for NSW in the form of AAC, Pretorius, Palu and Benn Robinson is back from a knee reconstruction that ruled him out of the RWC. Samo benched in preference for Jake Schatz would probably be the main talking point for QLD, but it's a strong side they've named. Watch for Liam Gill when he gets on. There are big wraps on him.

NSW to attempt to make it a battle of attrition, but ultimately fail. Qld by 10.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Thu 23 Feb 2012, 12:49 am

ACT Brumbies v Western Force sides:

Brumbies: Robbie Coleman, Henry Speight, Andrew Smith, Christian Lealiifano, Jesse Mogg*, Matt Toomua, Nic White, Ben Mowen, Ita Vaea, Peter Kimlin, Sam Carter, Leon Power*, Dan Palmer, Stephen Moore, Ben Alexander. Res: Anthony Hegerty, Ruaidhri Murphy*, Scott Fardy*, Michael Hooper, Ian Prior, Zack Holmes*, Joe Tomane*.

Force: Alfie Mafi, Nick Cummins, Winston Stanley, Rory Sidey, Napolioni Nalaga, James Stannard, Brett Sheehan, Ben McCalman, David Pocock (capt), Matt Hodgson, Nathan Sharpe, Toby Lynn, Salesi Ma’au, Nathan Charles, Pek Cowan. Res: Elvis Taione, Kieran Longbottom, Phoenix Battye, Angus Cottrell, Justin Turner, Ben Seymour, Sam Wara.

Brumbies have named 6 super rugby rookies (*). Joe Tomane is a former Australian Schoolboy who has returned to rugby after 2 or 3 years in the NRL. Ruaidhri Murphy is the Irish lad who got a mention on an article here on V2 a couple of months ago. Robbie Coleman to fullback is an interesting move. He was a brilliant schoolboy and U20 player as a 12, but he's tiny and just wont be big enough to survive that close in.

Nalaga's debut is probably the most interesting thing about the force, although this match also sees the captain armband handed from Sharpe to Pocock.

Brumbies by 7.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 23 Feb 2012, 2:56 am

Good Reds side for a starter booma. I think it'll be a bit higher...

Blues and saders have both named strong sides...and benches...no Nonu, Carter or McCaw yet but this will be a cracker... 4 of the 5 Whitlocks feature for the Saders...man the Weetbix shares they must have...

Blues:

1. Tom McCartney,2. Keven Mealamu (c),3 Charlie Faumuina,4. Anthony Boric,5. Ali Williams ,6. Chris Lowrey,7. Daniel Braid,8. Jerome Kaino,9. Alby Mathewson,10. Michael Hobbs ,11. Rudi Wulf,12. Benson Stanley,13. Rene Ranger,14. David Raikuna,15. Isaia Toeava

16 Pauliasi Manu,17 Tevita Mailau,18 Brad Mika,19 Luke Braid,20 Piri Weepu,21 Hadleigh Parkes,22 Sherwin Stowers

Crusaders:
1. Wyatt Crockett, 2. Quentin MacDonald, 3. Ben Franks, 4. Tom Donnelly, 5. Samuel Whitelock, 6. George Whitelock, 7. Matt Todd, 8. Kieran Read (capt), 9. Andy Ellis (vice capt), 10. Tyler Bleyendaal, 11. Israel Dagg, 12. Ryan Crotty, 13. Robbie Fruean, 14. Sean Maitland, 15. Tom Marshall

Reserves:, 16. Corey Flynn, 17. Owen Franks, 18. Luke Romano, 19. Luke Whitelock, 20. Willie Heinz, 21. Partrick Osborne, 22. Adam Whitelock

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 23 Feb 2012, 6:13 am

biltongbek wrote:Well I think and hope the Lions progress a little further in the competition this year. They improved by leaps and bounds during the Currie Cup last year and played exquisite rugby under john Mitchell. A number of players really threw down the guantlet(where have I read that before) and showed vast improvement in confidence and performance.

I still think they don't have the depth, but as long as they can put out their best 22 they might surprise a few teams.

My expectations of the Bulls, Stromers and Cheetahs aren't very high though.

I think there is only one SA franchise to worry about this year and that is the Sharks.

Lions and sharks biltong...both nz coached arent they. I saw a story here that mitchell will be stuggling to keep ahead of being the kings replacement next year. Surely Lions will be looking better with a year behind them?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 23 Feb 2012, 6:21 am

Taylorman there are a lot of rumours flying around.

The newest one is that the sports minister has presented a document that has been approved by the ANC that each province can only have one team enetered into any competition which has serious implications for the Lions, this means that they are now by law taking the Lions out of the equation completely to make a space for the Kings.

The repercussion of this might hurt SA sport not only on the cricket fields but could cause coontless law suits etc.

And I thought politics are now done with sport. They are going to ruin it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down