The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maidana vs Alexander

+22
OasisBFC
KO-KING
ShahenshahG
School Project
AlexHuckerby
bellchees
Sugar Floyd Louis
steven24
The Galveston Giant
Seanusarrilius
azania
Imperial Ghosty
oxring
Nico the gman
Unbeatable Georgey Groves
Steffan
Soldier_Of_Fortune
John Bloody Wayne
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
manos de piedra
Rowley
Valero's Conscience
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Maidana vs Alexander Empty Maidana vs Alexander

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 24 Feb 2012, 9:31 am

There's not been a huge amount of talk about this but i'm quite excited about it, well maybe just because it gets away from Haye/Chisora talk!

This is a huge fight for both guys careers with Maidana looking for big fights at WW if he wins and Alexander trying to regain some credibility after quitting against Bradley and then gifted (IMO) a win against Matthysse.

It's your typical boxer vs slugger match up and I think Maidana will stop Alexander in the late rounds.

I rate Maidana over Matthysse and he had Alexander down and landed big shots so confident Maidana can do the same.

It's also a 10 round fight which will suit Maidana's all out style more.

One fear is that it's in Alexander's home town and I think Maidana won't be able to win on points!

For anyone interested, Sky Sports are showing it early Sunday morning with the Adrian Broner fight as well!

Is anyone else interested in this and how do you see it going?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Maidana vs Alexander Empty Re: Maidana vs Alexander

Post by Rowley Fri 24 Feb 2012, 9:52 am

I have probably not seen enough of either to make a prediction with any confidence but have no intention of letting that stop me. I also have a sneaking suspiscion Maidana may pull this one out of the bag. Get the impression, probably unfair that Alexander is a guy who looks for a way out when it gets a bit rough and whilst obviously it seems likely there will be spells when Alexander should out box him I am not sure if Marcos can land big in the first few rounds Alexander will fancy it. Would agree with your pick that Alexander will stop him late.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 24 Feb 2012, 10:12 am

I heavily favoured Maidana in this. Very surprised he was the underdog but I hadnt realised it was only a ten rounder which is a big advantage to Alexander in my opinion.

I have never been overly impressed by Alexander in the fights I have watched. Had him losing to Kotelnik, handily beaten by Bradley and arguably lost to Mathysse aswell.

I think he going to struggle to to keep Maidana off him for this fight. Over 12 rounds I would have forseen Maidana really giving him hell over the last third of the fight because he comes on strong at the finish. The fact its only ten rounds means Alexander will find the pace of the fight easier.

The biggest concern I have over Maidana is his defence and durability. His defence isnt great which would be ok if he was very durable but hes been down from body and head shots early in fights. Hes there to be hit if Alexander can exploit it. But my guess would be he makes life to difficult for Alexander and either outworks him to a points win or grinds him down to a stoppage depending on how mch success he has getting to Alexander. If you cant Maidana of you and find room to box then you are in trouble because Maidana really lets his shots go. He has a good engine aswell which is why I think he is more dangerous over 12 rounders than 10 rounders.

Hate to mention it, but given I have felt Alexander has benefitted from some favourable judging in his career and is at home here I wouldnt entirely rule out the potential for a possible rip off if Alexander does see the final bell. But other than that, I think Maidana wins it.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 24 Feb 2012, 11:24 am

Matthysse is really underrated, he could very well be unbeaten. He could (should) have got wins over Judah and alexander.

He hits as hard a maidana IMO but is more skilled, faster more durable but doesn't throw as many as Marcos.

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 24 Feb 2012, 2:56 pm

I agree about Mattyse being underrated, he's a tighter gaurd and more of a straight puncher than an all out swarmer like Maidana.

If Maidana can get to him and take his shots, make him square up to nullify the southpaw stance he should win. But how hard does Maidana hit at full welter? We don't know if his power will carry and Alexander can catch guys pretty hard coming in so he might just be able to earn Marcos' respect and keep it at his own pace. I'm leaning towards Maidana but this one is really interesting.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 24 Feb 2012, 3:06 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Matthysse is really underrated, he could very well be unbeaten. He could (should) have got wins over Judah and alexander.

He hits as hard a maidana IMO but is more skilled, faster more durable but doesn't throw as many as Marcos.

Apparently Maidana and Matthysse met 4 times as an amateur. With Maidana winning 3 times and the other being a draw. I know it was the amateurs but it does make you think there is more to Maidana then meets the eye.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 24 Feb 2012, 5:07 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Matthysse is really underrated, he could very well be unbeaten. He could (should) have got wins over Judah and alexander.

Apparently Maidana and Matthysse met 4 times as an amateur. With Maidana winning 3 times and the other being a draw. I know it was the amateurs but it does make you think there is more to Maidana then meets the eye.

I've heard this as well and was a bit surprised!

A fight between the two now would be FOTY candidate for sure!

An another topic, I hope Maidana's move to WW isn't permanent as a fight with Rios would be great fun!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 24 Feb 2012, 5:09 pm

Im backing the Maid on this one. Late KO I reckon

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Fri 24 Feb 2012, 5:29 pm

I think Alexander will outbox him tbh, will be very strong now at welter

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri 24 Feb 2012, 5:35 pm

Alexander stays out of trouble and boxes his way to a UD.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 24 Feb 2012, 5:37 pm

Yea I know but times have changed. Matthysse used to fight like maidana back then i.e. swinging like a madman but has greatly improved whereas maidana imo relies too much on being a brawler.

Matthysse uses his jab to get inside and lets his power shots go when in good positions unlike maidana who throws when out of range wasting energy.

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 24 Feb 2012, 5:37 pm

If Maidana brings his a game - Alexander doesn't have the package to stop him. Alexanders been handily beaten a few times now - and I don't think he'll meld too well with Maidana's style.

Course i could be wrong and Alexander could box at range and control the distance to a UD.

Vivek Wallace rates Alexander highly, if that helps.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 24 Feb 2012, 6:10 pm

I haven't forgiven Alexander for his robbery of Kotelnik yet.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 24 Feb 2012, 6:21 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I haven't forgiven Alexander for his robbery of Kotelnik yet.

Laugh You're an unforgiving soul ghosty - although I must admit that that particular fight does still rankle.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 24 Feb 2012, 6:24 pm

One of the most blatent cases of a promising fight not being allowed to lose.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 24 Feb 2012, 6:30 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I haven't forgiven Alexander for his robbery of Kotelnik yet.

Blame the 3 blind men.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 24 Feb 2012, 6:35 pm

azania wrote:

Blame the 3 blind men.

And the men that bought them - if the story Manos pointed out ref: Helenius-Chisora is to be believed (and I have no reason to doubt him).
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 24 Feb 2012, 6:53 pm

Got a fiver on Maidana stoppage. He knows he will get screwed on the cards so will be gunning for it. Both at 147 for first time so favours neither, Alexander may scrape through to the bell though as it is only a ten rounder. We will see

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 24 Feb 2012, 7:58 pm

I agree, i think he needs the knockout.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Fri 24 Feb 2012, 8:10 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:

Yea I know but times have changed. Matthysse used to fight like maidana back then i.e. swinging like a madman but has greatly improved whereas maidana imo relies too much on being a brawler.

Matthysse uses his jab to get inside and lets his power shots go when in good positions unlike maidana who throws when out of range wasting energy.

Yeah they did fight as amateurs, the pictures were online before. Matthysse is so, so slow that's the problem, he's a good solid fighter but lacks the speed. He did beat Judah & Alexander though imo.

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 24 Feb 2012, 8:14 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Got a fiver on Maidana stoppage. He knows he will get screwed on the cards so will be gunning for it. Both at 147 for first time so favours neither, Alexander may scrape through to the bell though as it is only a ten rounder. We will see
Forgot its a 10 rounder. This can only favour Alexander. May spur Maidana on though

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sat 25 Feb 2012, 10:43 pm

Not staying up till 3!! Had a loooong day, gonna record it though. Suprised there's not much talk on it, first fight I'm excited for this year, yes even more so than the Chis-Klit... say's a lot that the fight itself wasn't talked about!

I think A LOT of people are underestimating Alexander. He lost to Bradley who let's not forget is the number 1 fighter @ 140!!

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sat 25 Feb 2012, 10:45 pm

I've got to be up early tomorrow but I'm really tempted to stay up and watch this fight. Really hope Maidana takes Alexander out, I have a really irrational hatred of Alexander for no real reason.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 26 Feb 2012, 12:09 am

bellchees wrote:I've got to be up early tomorrow but I'm really tempted to stay up and watch this fight. Really hope Maidana takes Alexander out, I have a really irrational hatred of Alexander for no real reason.

Cracked me up there!!!!!

To be honest this is a bit of a pick em. The loss possibly hurts Alexander more as Maidana is guaranteed entertainment.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 26 Feb 2012, 12:19 am

I'm looking forward to this one. But I'm looking forward to the Broner fight more (anyone know if Sky are showing that one?).

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 26 Feb 2012, 12:21 am

They are!!!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sun 26 Feb 2012, 12:24 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:They are!!!!

Can't wait to see it then!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun 26 Feb 2012, 12:28 am

I'm not sure about Broner, he should be right up there with the best but there is something missing. He is fast, very good power, decent defence and is MASSIVE at the weight but for me he lost to the best boxer he has been in with, Ponce de Leon, who is very solid but nothing special and he spent the best part of his career at super bantamweight.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 26 Feb 2012, 12:41 am

I think Broner won that fight. Ponce De Leon is more than a handful for any young up and comer so I arent reading too much into it.

Really excited by Broner.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 26 Feb 2012, 4:42 am

Maidana was terrible tonight, dominated completley

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun 26 Feb 2012, 6:00 am

7 pounds too many for Maidana I suspect. Would be interesting if Alexander could become a decent prospect at 147.

In other news Deontay Wilder overcame a supremely challenging, hugely testing opponent by TKO in 3.

Yes, the opponent hadn't fought since 2007 - but that just shows how long this Marlon Hayes had been training for the Wilder fight.

And the fact that he was 3-10(4) in his previous fights doesn't matter either - obviously, Hayes knew that one day, in 2012, he'd have a fight with Wilder and wasn't focused on his boxing.

We whinge about Warren's development with Cleverly - what about Wilder?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:22 am

Oxring - If I was as good as wilder - i'd hide from the kbros as well Laugh

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sun 26 Feb 2012, 9:20 am

Alexander boxed beautifully!!

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Sun 26 Feb 2012, 9:28 am

Broner's entrance was hilarious.

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sun 26 Feb 2012, 2:08 pm

had it 98-92 for alexander, chino turned up flabby like he did against corley

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 26 Feb 2012, 3:17 pm

oxring wrote:7 pounds too many for Maidana I suspect. Would be interesting if Alexander could become a decent prospect at 147.

In other news Deontay Wilder overcame a supremely challenging, hugely testing opponent by TKO in 3.

Yes, the opponent hadn't fought since 2007 - but that just shows how long this Marlon Hayes had been training for the Wilder fight.

And the fact that he was 3-10(4) in his previous fights doesn't matter either - obviously, Hayes knew that one day, in 2012, he'd have a fight with Wilder and wasn't focused on his boxing.

2 years amature experience, less than 4 years pro. Just sayin'.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 26 Feb 2012, 3:30 pm

21 pro fights though JBW 20 prior to this - he should be fighting someone with a bit more experience to learn. Also he is still as crude as he was 10 fights ago - I'm not sure what going on - give him a couple of fading heavys with experience and durability to see how he handles going the distance and if he can learn not to expose his right when throwing with his left.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun 26 Feb 2012, 5:04 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:
oxring wrote:7 pounds too many for Maidana I suspect. Would be interesting if Alexander could become a decent prospect at 147.

2 years amature experience, less than 4 years pro. Just sayin'.

I've heavily supported Wilder's choice of opposition before - because he is so inexperienced. But I can't see that a guy who has gone 3-10(4) and hasn't fought for 4 years is going to provide any sort of a learning experience for him. Surely he needs to be finding journeymen with a decent chin and some footwork - rather than some fella who he can dance around for 3 minutes, potshotting at will.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 26 Feb 2012, 8:12 pm

I just watched the repeat of the fight there. I was reasonably surprised overall.

I had though Maidana would essentially be able to walk Alexander down sufficiently to outhustle him, and hadnt been convinced Alexander had either the physicality nor the skills to prevent this happening. But ultimately he did on both counts.

The new weight looked to suit Alexander alot more. Maidana just doesnt look big or stong at the weight and I think 140lb is his home. I had concerns over Maidanas durability, especially for a fighter with his style and much like Ricky Hatton I think the higher weight division takes away alot of his strength, power and physicality. I was surprised Alexander could stand his ground so much and match him up close. I also think Maidanas power just didnt look there. He connected with some good shots but Alexander was able to take them without too much difficulty. There had been some suggstion by Alexander that his previous lacklustre performances were down to weight issues and whether this was the case is hard to knw. But he did look more comfortable at 147. I think Maidana should return to 140. His power was primary weapon and threat so once diluted he becomes very ordinary.

Alexander answered some questions about himself. I thought he dealt with Maidana well overall. He didnt let himself get bullied, he showed he could take a shot and he also showed he the skills to outbox Maidana and the strength to match him. He looked sharp at 147 and the jump could prove beneficial. However I think Maidana was less effective there so undoubtadly bigger challenges lie ahead for him. Definately an improved performance from him though which should put him back in the picture.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Sun 26 Feb 2012, 8:57 pm

There's no way a slow plodder with virtually no skills like Maidana beats Alexander when Devon's on his game, Maidana is tough and good to watch, but not world class, Alexander won every round for me.

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sun 26 Feb 2012, 8:58 pm

To be honest much is made of Maidana's power,but when he fights higher class opponents he doesn't seem to be able to stop them so is Maidana as big a puncher as we are led to believe.

Morales,DeMarcos Corley,Kotelnyk,Khan and Alexander have all gone the distance with him,Khan outboxed him for long periods of their fight as did
Morales, and Alexander comfortably outboxed him.

Its also noticeable he got put down with a body shot from Khan and didn't look comfortable when Alexander was going to the body.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 26 Feb 2012, 9:14 pm

steven24 wrote:There's no way a slow plodder with virtually no skills like Maidana beats Alexander when Devon's on his game, Maidana is tough and good to watch, but not world class, Alexander won every round for me.

What is "world class"? It seems like anyone outside the top 2/3 guys in the division falls short of world class by your definition. Maidana may not be a pound for pound king but hes an established world level fighter and has been for some time.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by steven24 Sun 26 Feb 2012, 9:30 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
steven24 wrote:There's no way a slow plodder with virtually no skills like Maidana beats Alexander when Devon's on his game, Maidana is tough and good to watch, but not world class, Alexander won every round for me.

What is "world class"? It seems like anyone outside the top 2/3 guys in the division falls short of world class by your definition. Maidana may not be a pound for pound king but hes an established world level fighter and has been for some time.

Khan - lost
Kotelnik - lost
Morales - won on a robbery against a shot to bits Morales

Maidana is a good solid fighter, not world class imo.

steven24

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 26 Feb 2012, 9:35 pm

Then again what makes Alexander world class?

Bradley- Lost
Kotelnik- Won a robbery
Matthyse- Won a borderline robbery
Maidana- Beat a fighter you claim not to be world class

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sun 26 Feb 2012, 9:38 pm

steven24 wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

Khan - lost
Kotelnik - lost

he also made ortiz quit who later beat berto for the wbc welter belt. yes he's limited, and would get beaten off anyone with great skill but what he's trying to say is 'world class' doesnt have to mean 'world champion'. he fights on the world stage, and will do for some time, so he's world class.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 26 Feb 2012, 9:47 pm

steven24 wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

Khan - lost
Kotelnik - lost

He beat Ortiz and Morales (close fight, not a robbery at all) and lost close fights to Khan and Kotelnik in his natural 140 lb division. Hes a world level operator for me.

You seem to throw robbery out there any time it suits your argument. For instance the Morales fight which was clearly close. I also note that on another thread you claim Maidana was robbed by Kotelnik but now you seem to accept Kotelnik won simply because it suits your argument. No mention either that Alexander himself could be considered to have "robbed" Kotelnik and Mathyyse by your liberal use of the phrase.

Maidana is not an elite fighter. But hes proven at world level, especially in his natural weight class.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweet Science UK Sun 26 Feb 2012, 10:07 pm

I don't really like Devon Alexander but he boxed superbly against Maidana.

Great speed and stinging power shots which left Maidana shaken a few times. Did the ugly things well too like clinching when he needed too. Was very impressed with Devon.

I've always though Maidana was a glorified brawler (nothing against him for that btw) and he always gives an opponent problems. But I've never seen him dominated and outclassed like he was last night against Devon and Devon deserves a lot of credit for that performance.

Looks like moving up to 147 will do him the world of good.
The Sweet Science UK
The Sweet Science UK

http://thesweetscienceuk.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:20 am

Can't admit to reading all of this thread so far but wanted to add my two pennies; Alexander was on fire!! That's the first time I've been impressed by the bloke and aside from continuously dabbed away at his eye I couldn't find a fault against an opponent who should have tested him far more.

Good fight, great win for Devon, sets things up nicely for him. Where next though?

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Mon 27 Feb 2012, 11:15 am

KingMonkey... I'd like to see Khan v Alexander!

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Maidana vs Alexander Empty that was too funny

Post by raven45 Mon 27 Feb 2012, 12:35 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
bellchees wrote:I've got to be up early tomorrow but I'm really tempted to stay up and watch this fight. Really hope Maidana takes Alexander out, I have a really irrational hatred of Alexander for no real reason.

Cracked me up there!!!!!

To be honest this is a bit of a pick em. The loss possibly hurts Alexander more as Maidana is guaranteed entertainment.
that was too funny

raven45

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next