The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Devon Alexander/Marcos Maidana - February Bout

+7
Herman Jaeger
Unbeatable Georgey Groves
Fists of Fury
Imperial Ghosty
TopHat24/7
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
AlexHuckerby
11 posters

Go down

Devon Alexander/Marcos Maidana - February Bout Empty Devon Alexander/Marcos Maidana - February Bout

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 1:12 pm

Apparently these two could be getting it on at 147 Pounds.

Devon Alexander's trainer said "fans can expect an all-out war" in a proposed bout with fellow junior welterweight contender Marcos Maidana.

Former WBC/IBF junior welterweight titleholder Devon Alexander and fellow 140-pound contneder Marcos Maidana have agreed to a welterweight fight that is being targeted for January or February, according to Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer.

"Both fighters, Devon Alexander and Marcos Maidana, have agreed to fight," Schaefer said of the bout, which he believes will take place "most likely in the January or Feburary time frame."

"I am currently working on the date and the network to get that done. It's another toe-to-toe battle, so it's the kind of fight that we want to do. We just want to do great fights."

The hard-hitting, 28-year-old Maidana (31-2, 27 KOs) is coming off fourth-round knockout of Peter Petrov (29-3-1, 13 KOs) in September, his second straight win since rising from a first-round knockdown during a unanimous decision loss to RING No. 1-rated WBA/IBF junior welterweight beltholder Amir Khan (26-1, 18 KOs) last December.

The 24-year-old Alexander (22-1, 13 KOs) lost his WBC junior welterweight belt following an 11th-round technical decision loss to Tim Bradley (27-0, 11 KOs) in January, but bounced back with a 10-round decision win over hard-hitting RING No. 5-rated junior welterweight Lucas Matthysse (28-2, 26 KOs) of Argentina in June.

Prior to facing Bradley, Alexander struggled through a decision over former titleholder Andriy Kotelnik in August of 2009, and claimed that extreme weight loss contributed to what he considers to have been less-than-stellar efforts against Kotelnik, Bradley and Matthysse.

Kotelnik scored a split-decision victory over Maidana in Febraury of 2007.

"The fight has been proposed to us, and we have agreed. As long as the terms and everything are right, then we will agree to and would accept the Maidana fight," said Alexander's trainer, Kevin Cunningham.

"If the fight does happen, the fans can expect an all-out war, because there won't be a whole lot of boxing and moving from Devon."

Thoughts on this potential bout?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Devon Alexander/Marcos Maidana - February Bout Empty Re: Devon Alexander/Marcos Maidana - February Bout

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 Nov 2011, 1:18 pm

I don't think it will be a war if Alexander gets his own way. It will be boths first fight at 147lbs so it will be interesting to see how they cope. I think Maidana might win it. I've never been convinced by Alexander or the weight excuses he came up with.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Devon Alexander/Marcos Maidana - February Bout Empty Re: Devon Alexander/Marcos Maidana - February Bout

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 30 Nov 2011, 1:19 pm

Khan should fight the winner to annouce his arrival in the 147 division.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 Nov 2011, 1:21 pm

I think Khan should hang around at 140lbs. He says there is no problem making the weight. I would like to see him fight Bradley, Guerrero and even see if he can tempt Rios up to 140lbs.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 30 Nov 2011, 1:43 pm

I would like to Khan hang around at 140lbs also, still a lot for him to achieve there, he should do as Hatton did if he intends to fight Mayweather, move up without the intention of staying there.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 30 Nov 2011, 1:49 pm

Bradley won't take the fight at 140 (may even duck at 147 though I'd like to believe if Khan beat the winnder of the above Bradley might be possible).

Guerro is about the only fight I'm left interested in seeing Khan in at at 140 and would be a very good CV enhancing win (if he pulled it off) in my opinion. Rios is a cracking little fight however I think Khan will have too much in speed and reach for him and if Khan took the fight and won it'd be widely discredited a 'blown up LW' (though I think that'd be unfair, I think that's how a win may be portrayed).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:06 pm

Rios is a big guy at the weight and Khan started out at 135lbs so you would still get the people who want to knock him but most top fighters have to put up with that.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:10 pm

Yeah to be honest I hink this is a decent little fight, Maidanas rarely in boring figts and against someone he has to hunt down and force to get into a fight should be very good.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 01 Dec 2011, 1:51 am

Not sure why a win over Guerrero would be any more meaningful than a win over Rios at this stage especially as he started a couple of divisions lower.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 01 Dec 2011, 8:06 am

guerreros a higher regarded win i guess.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:36 am

Khan and Guerrero are actually very similar, and I think that'd be a pretty tight fight.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:45 am

yeah rios is there to be taken by someone with a good jab.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 01 Dec 2011, 11:11 am

Rios has done far more at lightweight than Guerrero, does a win over Katsidis really mean that much.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Thu 01 Dec 2011, 12:00 pm

This could be a close match up, Alexander was floored by Matthyse and stole a close decision IMO

I rate Matthyse as a better version of Maidana, so it will be very close again however if it is in St. Louis Alexader will get the nod

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 01 Dec 2011, 12:56 pm

Can't get too excited about an Alexander fight, but like other posters, would like Khan to hang around at 140, where there's still a lot for him to achieve.

But with Zoritta Soto moving up looking for a fight, Khan will be outta there like greased lightening imo

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 01 Dec 2011, 12:58 pm

You being serious? Khan would hand Soto his backside on a plate!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 01 Dec 2011, 12:59 pm

Not many fights with Alexander get me excited either in truth however, Maidana with Alexander gets me far more excited than a normal one would.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 01 Dec 2011, 1:22 pm

Herman Jaggery wrote:Can't get too excited about an Alexander fight, but like other posters, would like Khan to hang around at 140, where there's still a lot for him to achieve.

But with Zoritta Soto moving up looking for a fight, Khan will be outta there like greased lightening imo

Are you being serious? Soto beating Khan? Laugh

Mate I usually reserve this for Azania but you are mental! warning
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 01 Dec 2011, 1:27 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Herman Jaggery wrote:Can't get too excited about an Alexander fight, but like other posters, would like Khan to hang around at 140, where there's still a lot for him to achieve.

Are you being serious? Soto beating Khan? Laugh

Mate I usually reserve this for Azania but you are mental! warning

Laugh I only read his first sentence and sort of skimed through his second one without really reading it, yeah no offence Herman, but can't see how you came to that conclusion...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 01 Dec 2011, 1:28 pm

Then again, I thought Prescott would have been taken care of in 6!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 01 Dec 2011, 1:45 pm

Soto could give Khan 20lbs and a whooping imo. But not important, you won't be seeing Khan in a ring with Soto any time soon imo

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 01 Dec 2011, 1:48 pm

Your right you won't for the good of Soto's health!
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 01 Dec 2011, 1:48 pm

Soto was hardly making huge indents in the lightweight division, sneaking past some fairly average opposition so don't see what he does that would have Khan so worried. He's not a power hitter nor is he an overly skilled fighter, please enlighten us?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 01 Dec 2011, 1:51 pm

This is the same Soto that was outboxed by Guzman all the way down at SFW a few years back yes?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 01 Dec 2011, 2:06 pm

That's the one Humberto Soto
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 01 Dec 2011, 2:08 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:This is the same Soto that was outboxed by Guzman all the way down at SFW a few years back yes?
Is this the Khan that was sparked by Prescott in a minute?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 01 Dec 2011, 2:15 pm

Is the poster not aware of Soto's difficulty making sfw?

It's often said Soto is the best boxer around that doesn't have star status. Born into abject poverty, his devotees will often remark how relaxed he appears at all times in the ring. I'll say it again, can't see Khanny boy in with the seasoned Mexican any time soon

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 01 Dec 2011, 2:26 pm

maybe he did have trouble making 130lbs I'll go with that he started at 135lbs then moved down and there is no shame in being out boxed by the version of Guzman he was beaten by.

What I don't get is what is it he does that you think will cause Khan trouble? I'm not bother by Soto I don't rate him highly and I don't think he's a bum but I don't think he's in Khans league.

Yes he grew up in abject poverty and is very calm in the ring but so are a lot of fighters from the same background. There are journeymen who fit that bill. You need to be good to beat Khan and you need to do certain things very well like close distance and work well on the inside Soto doesn't seem to be that good at anything really. One of those guys who excels at nothing is just pretty decent at most things.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 01 Dec 2011, 2:47 pm

Apologies for that Kev, unashamedly trying to pull on the heartstrings.

I think what I was trying to convey, is that Soto is a natural fighter, which maybe Khan isn't, but also a very tough man. A very underrated fighter imo, I just think he might be able to dismantle Khan piece by piece.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 01 Dec 2011, 2:55 pm

No doubt he's a tough man he took some good shots off Guzman and never backed down. Maybe the Khan of two years ago but I think the Khan of now is a more polished performer. Although they are not great fighters he never allowed Judah or McCloskey into the fights he dominated from the start.

He seems to have learned a lesson from the Maidana fight when he should have probably have won by 7 or 8 rounds but let him back in it.

Sotos one of those guys who has never got the fights he needs. He's not a hard guy to match put him in their with a guy who likes to fight like a Rios or Katsidis and you will see a good fight. That's the problem if your not with GBP or Top Rank you don't seem to get the right fights.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 01 Dec 2011, 3:09 pm

I just don't see how Soto even makes a serious fight of it, sorry Herman... Just gets systematically pulled apart and beaten about and stopped for me.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 01 Dec 2011, 3:23 pm

[While I would agrrr that Khan has become a lot more polished, and good luck to him, I'm not sure he's acquired enough guile as of yet to see off this particular Mexican.

All about opinions, so why not get this one on! After his next fight, time for Bradley, Brook or Soto imo. Crunch time

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Dec 2011, 3:24 pm

Alexander Maidana seems a natural fight to be made, but as said above, after seeing the Bradley performance, I'm not expecting DA to fight with Eminem.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 01 Dec 2011, 3:25 pm

Out of all three of those Soto is the easiest fight in my opinion.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu 01 Dec 2011, 4:06 pm

Sotos mixed it at a higher level than Brook. I'm fed up hearing Khans name linked with Brook what has Brook done to deserve it? Yes he has talent but we don't know at what level yet. Khan is a proven World class operator Brook isn't he's still nothing more than some talent and a lot of hot air!
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:15 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Sotos mixed it at a higher level than Brook. I'm fed up hearing Khans name linked with Brook what has Brook done to deserve it? Yes he has talent but we don't know at what level yet. Khan is a proven World class operator Brook isn't he's still nothing more than some talent and a lot of hot air!
Brook has talent but your quite right hasn't done anything to warrant a fight with Khan.
Khan said exactly the same thing and its about the first time I've ever agreed with Khan on anything.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:17 pm

I think he ought to take it anyway. I reckon Khan wins comfortably - but theres a nice awkward fighter to get around - it will demonstrate exactly how the extra weight has affected him - his speed, power and his own movement.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu 01 Dec 2011, 9:22 pm

I'd go with Alexander on points. Think Maidana is starting to look too one dimensional. Still not sure on that decision against Erik either

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down