The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amir Khan vs Devon Alexander

+15
DuransHorse
catchweight
FIFA Diva
alanqlm
TRUSSMAN66
titaniumjaw
owen10ozzy
ONETWOFOREVER
TopHat24/7
milkyboy
88Chris05
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
jimdig
mobilemaster8
Gerry SA
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Amir Khan vs Devon Alexander Empty Amir Khan vs Devon Alexander

Post by Gerry SA Mon 20 Oct - 22:29

Fight agreed. Will take place on December 13. Mandalay Bay Resort, Las Vegas.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan vs Devon Alexander Empty Re: Amir Khan vs Devon Alexander

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 20 Oct - 22:33

Think this is a winnable fight for Khan. Devon is a poor operator and he should do the business.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon 20 Oct - 22:55

Ironic, he backed out of fighting Alexander this time last year to try to secure a fight with floyd. This year he's fighting alexander, probably to try secure a fight with floyd. 
This card is tipped to go against a hbo card headlined by Bradley. I think I'd prefer to watch Khan.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 20 Oct - 23:05

Disappointed it's not Guerrero, think that's a much more competitive fight

Think Khan has got this one easy tbf, Alexander hasn't looked good for a while and he's a pure boxer, can't see khan being outboxed. Alexander likes it on he outside counterpunching, but Khan throws too many shots too fast for alexander to match

Unlike Guerrero, Devon doesn't have the ability to mix it up, and if the boxing isn't working (which I doubt it will) he isn't gonna be able to lay it on khan and he hasn't shown he's got the pop to put khan on queer street

Easy UD for khan

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 20 Oct - 23:11

Thurman is on the undercard of Khan as well so should be a good night

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 20 Oct - 23:15

Good summary by WHU, methinks.

Alexander is a good operator, mm8....Against the right kind of opponent. Basically whenever he's been in there with a counter puncher or stylist he's not been too hot. He is one of the guys who is at least in the same kind of bracket as Khan for speed, but he doesn't hit hard enough to upset Khan and doesn't throw enough points to nick rounds off him. Khan also bites down on the gum shield and shows massive heart when things get rough, too, whereas Alexander usually looks a bit deflated when things are going against him.

Khan on points comfortably for me.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 20 Oct - 23:27

Would have preferred Guerrero to see whether his work with hunter has helped khan deal with a little better with pressure fighters.  

Still think this is a competitive fight, Alexander is a good boxer. His foot speed doesn't match his handspeed though, and like others I see khan on points... Popping into range offloading, popping out of range again. He doesn't normally have trouble with boxers. That's assuming he still has Judah/malignaggi type performances in his locker.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue 21 Oct - 7:05

I'd have preferred a Guerrero fight too, but couldn't right alexander completely off. He had that highlight reel knockout of the normally iron chinned urango so anything is possible.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 21 Oct - 8:50

Good win for Khan if successful, never been that sold on Devon, tricky customer but lacks a little hard and I think will deteriorate over the course of the fight if he doesn't get some positivity early doors with a kd or something.

Khan rarely gets outboxed, and Devon doesn't offer the pressure of Robert G, so I think Khan takes this fine - something like 117-111.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 21 Oct - 8:53

jimdig wrote:Ironic, he backed out of fighting Alexander this time last year to try to secure a fight with floyd. This year he's fighting alexander, probably to try secure a fight with floyd. 
This card is tipped to go against a hbo card headlined by Bradley. I think I'd prefer to watch Khan.

Bradley-Chavez could be interesting from the perspective of how absolutely filthy dirty it is!!

Both love a good use of the head and/or elbow!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 21 Oct - 10:21

People too quick to write off Devon. This is a big fight for BOTH fighters. A win can propel both into contention with the holy grail of boxing Money May so please don't underestimate Alexander for this one. He will be fighting at home and Khan has fluffed his lines in big fights before.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 21 Oct - 10:23

He's also come through big fights - Judah, Paulie, MM. Would put Devon roughly on par with that lot.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 21 Oct - 10:53

TopHat24/7 wrote:He's also come through big fights - Judah, Paulie, MM.  Would put Devon roughly on par with that lot.

Just about came through against MM.

Judah was washed up and looking for a payday.

Paulie was routine.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Tue 21 Oct - 11:10

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:He's also come through big fights - Judah, Paulie, MM.  Would put Devon roughly on par with that lot.

Paulie was routine.

True Enough ONETWO;

But then Devon hardly has a stellar list of names either; think both have plenty of questions surrounding them at the very top level...Khan and his chin and Devon & his heart/fortitude to dig deep when things aren't going his way.

Both have fallen short against the cream of the crop, though arguably Khan's performances have stood out a little better than Alexanders. Whilst Amir has been flattened by Garcia, Devon has lost to Bradley & Porter and should have arguably lost to both Matthysse and Kotelnik.

On paper the American doesn't have the power to stop Khan, and the Brit has both the speed and work rate to arguably win a comfortable decision. However as seen before, you don't necessarily have to have a KO history to take Khan out. That being said I think he looks more solid at 147, usually gets up if put down by a non-puncher and for me has the better all round skill set, not to mention he doesn't actually mind getting into a tear up despite inside fighting not being his strong suit. Ultimately I can't see any area that Devon beats him in so I'd go for a UD win for Khan, maybe even a late stoppage if Devon's heart is no longer in it.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by titaniumjaw Tue 21 Oct - 11:24

If Thurman us on same bill why hasn't khan signed to fight him and prove he's got a set???? He beats Alexander easy like everyone has pretty much stated. Khans people seem to put him in latey with these low risk fighters in a faint hope if a shot at floyd. I say go in with Thurman beat him and make it impossible for floyd to say no!!!! But we all know as well as Kahn that Thurman beats Him up everyday of the week

titaniumjaw

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 21 Oct - 11:26

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

Paulie was routine.

Had 1 bad round against MM, hardly 'just'.

And Devon still hasn't done much to suggest he's any great shakes ahead of those guys. Hell, Khan schooled their common oppo in Kotelnik whom Devon looked nowhere near as good against.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 21 Oct - 11:28

He won't sign to fight Thurman for no title and f**k all money.............Leave the kid alone and nor should he !!!!......We can debate the merits of INTERIM...some other time..

Khan has got a lot to lose..............Mega bucks vs May/Brook...........

Alexander whilst being someone he should beat has a pedigree and is a test...........

Good matchmaking and good management.....

The kid has shown he has plenty of bollox...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 21 Oct - 11:30

Agree with Truss.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by titaniumjaw Tue 21 Oct - 11:34

Low risk fight for me sorry guys i hope he never gets the crack at floyd tbh not done enough in last 2 years to wArrant a fight against my 87 years old grandma let alone the planets best boxer

titaniumjaw

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Tue 21 Oct - 11:38

I'd be more inclined to go for Khan by a late stoppage, mainly for the reason Chris pointed out the Devon has a habit of almost giving up when things are going against him.

See Khan using his speed to pick up rounds and eventually breaking Alexanders heart more than anything else - the fact that Khan's chin is suspect may be enough encouragement to keep Devon going right to the end but reckon you could see him stay on his stool after 9

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 21 Oct - 11:40

TopHat24/7 wrote:Agree with Truss.

Frame that one.

It's right though, its good matchmaking in that Alexander is a quality 'live' opponent, but one who's style should suit khan. I'll watch it.

It's lower risk than some opponents but hardly a gimme titanium... Not in my book anyway. I guess with your user name, your no khan fanboy anyway.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by titaniumjaw Tue 21 Oct - 11:43

Hi milky I'm used to like khan just can't stand the way he is holding out for floyd like a lovesick teenager... Titanium jaw is a reference to Ricky burns haha

titaniumjaw

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 21 Oct - 11:46

God forbid he wants a big payday and to fight the world number 1.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by FIFA Diva Tue 21 Oct - 11:53

Too late for this fight, should have happend earlier.
FIFA Diva
FIFA Diva

http://www.manutd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 21 Oct - 11:55

People forget Alexander beat and koed Urango who was the GGG of the lightweights a few years ago. A man Khan openly stated he would ko.

For me this fight is 50/50. Also you get the impression that some camps in the US don't really fancy Khan for all his accomplishments.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 21 Oct - 12:00

Khan outboxes everybody he fights with his speed and jab........Question is can Alexander hurt him like a Manny, May, Brook and Thurman could.....

Me thinks not.......Not 50/50 for me........But an interesting fight nonetheless.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 21 Oct - 12:03

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Khan outboxes everybody he fights with his speed and jab........Question is can Alexander hurt him like a Manny, May, Brook and Thurman could.....

Me thinks not.......Not 50/50 for me........But an interesting fight nonetheless.

You have been pedeling this poisinous dope for a while now just stop.

Mclosky never got outboxed and it was even with Diaz so stop reiterating the same nonsense time and time again.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 21 Oct - 12:05

Mclosky was 6 rounds to nil down..

I missed the schooling Khan got..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Tue 21 Oct - 12:13

Think it is a bit harsh on Alexander to write this off as a gimme for Khan while as previously stated I think Khan wins the fight think Alexander is being sold a bit short.

Especially if you take into consideration the last 2 years of their careers in which Alexander has a shut out win over Maidana which alone is better than anything Khan has in that spell along with wins over Bailey, Purdy and Karass. Even with the defeat to Porter in there it still compares favourably to Khan's last 2 years.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 21 Oct - 12:14

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Mclosky was 6 rounds to nil down..

I missed the schooling Khan got..

I never said HE outboxed Khan I said Khan never outboxed him. Mclosky was still in the fight and was not hurt by any stretch of the imagination. The stoppage was a joke and Khan was poor that night

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by titaniumjaw Tue 21 Oct - 12:16

Heaven forbid he fights a live opponent and earns a right to fight floyd he's like me turning up at work doing nothing but expecting a huge pay rise and a promotion. If you could stop looking at your I love Amir tattoo on your Harris long enough you may just may see my point

titaniumjaw

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 21 Oct - 12:22

titaniumjaw wrote:Heaven forbid he fights a live opponent and earns a right to fight floyd he's like me turning up at work doing nothing but expecting a huge pay rise and a promotion. If you could stop looking at your I love Amir tattoo on your Harris long enough you may just may see my point

Its the ego of fighters these days who live off their percieved popularity.

Why should I prove myself and risk it all against dangerous opponents when my name alone will push ratings through the roof. As long as HBO/SHOWTIME are happy why should I break my back proving I am the best in the division?

this is how modern fighters think Khan is a major culprit.

And TRUSS agrees with this attitude.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 21 Oct - 12:25

titaniumjaw wrote:Heaven forbid he fights a live opponent and earns a right to fight floyd he's like me turning up at work doing nothing but expecting a huge pay rise and a promotion. If you could stop looking at your I love Amir tattoo on your Harris long enough you may just may see my point

Funny 50% on here picked Collazo to beat him.............Beat Diaz too.............and is a former two time champ who beat Maidana who Floyd has just fought twice...

Now remind me what Barker and Macklin did to deserve their shots at Sergio and GGG respectively??

You don't like him......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 21 Oct - 12:29

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

and that's all that matters....... Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 21 Oct - 12:30

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Khan outboxes everybody he fights with his speed and jab........Question is can Alexander hurt him like a Manny, May, Brook and Thurman could.....

You have been pedeling this poisinous dope for a while now just stop.

Same goes for you and the rubbish about GGG struggling with Stevens.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 21 Oct - 12:32

alanqlm wrote:Think it is a bit harsh on Alexander to write this off as a gimme for Khan while as previously stated I think Khan wins the fight think Alexander is being sold a bit short.

Especially if you take into consideration the last 2 years of their careers in which Alexander has a shut out win over Maidana which alone is better than anything Khan has in that spell along with wins over Bailey, Purdy and Karass. Even with the defeat to Porter in there it still compares favourably to Khan's last 2 years.

He's pants. Don't see that as a good win at all, no better that Collazzo.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Oct - 12:32

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

Its the ego of fighters these days who live off their percieved popularity.

Why should I prove myself and risk it all against dangerous opponents when my name alone will push ratings through the roof. As long as HBO/SHOWTIME are happy why should I break my back proving I am the best in the division?

this is how modern fighters think Khan is a major culprit.

When did Floyd chip in with an opinion?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 21 Oct - 12:47

Wasn't Maidana the WBA welterweight Champion............Wasn't Alvarez a champ and the number 1 at 154...Didn't he beat the world middleweight champion five fights ago in Miguel ??

How many British World champions are there ??

If World titles are so easy to win...

Like the rest of the wallies on here you don't know what you're talking about..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 21 Oct - 13:35

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:(1)Wasn't Maidana the WBA welterweight Champion............(2)Wasn't Alvarez a champ and the number 1 at 154...(3)Didn't he beat the world middleweight champion five fights ago in Miguel ??

How many British World champions are there ??

If World titles are so easy to win...

Like the rest of the wallies on here you don't know what you're talking about..

(1) By virtue of beating a hype job who'd been gifted the title himself;
(2) He was, but the fight wasn't at 154, it was at a catchweight;
(3) No, he beat a LMW whom he avoided fighting at his WW peak.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 21 Oct - 13:42

A three time champion hype job............ Laugh

Two pounds heavier and Alvarez batters the crap out of him.... Laugh

Cotto beat the number 1 middle ........ Laugh

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Cool

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 21 Oct - 13:42; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 21 Oct - 13:51

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:(1)A three time champion hype job............ Laugh

(2)Two pounds heavier and Alvarez batters the crap out of him.... Laugh

(3)Cotto beat the number 1 middle ........ Laugh

(1) Duke McKenzie
(2) When Pac did it against Cotto apparently to some, including Floyd, it was a massive amount and totally discredited the win.
(3) Yes he did, but Floyd didn't fight him at middle, did he? So stop trying to use that to big Floyd up.  Could just as easily say Floyd beat a guy that went on to lose comprehensively to Austin Trout. He beat Cotto at 154 (a weight, bizarrely, he wasn't later able to fight Canelo at) and avoided him when at his 147 prime.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Tue 21 Oct - 13:53

TopHat24/7 wrote:
alanqlm wrote:Think it is a bit harsh on Alexander to write this off as a gimme for Khan while as previously stated I think Khan wins the fight think Alexander is being sold a bit short.

He's pants. Don't see that as a good win at all, no better that Collazzo.

I agree Karass is pants and no better than Collazo but is better than Molina and Diaz - so considering you had to pick Alexander's worst win to compare to Khan's best in the last 2 years I'm guessing that means you agree with my point?

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 21 Oct - 13:57

TopHat24/7 wrote:

(1) Duke McKenzie
(2) When Pac did it against Cotto apparently to some, including Floyd, it was a massive amount and totally discredited the win.
(3) Yes he did, but Floyd didn't fight him at middle, did he? So stop trying to use that to big Floyd up.  Could just as easily say Floyd beat a guy that went on to lose comprehensively to Austin Trout.  He beat Cotto at 154 (a weight, bizarrely, he wasn't later able to fight Canelo at) and avoided him when at his 147 prime.

Duke Mckenzie is the only one you wally.............Why hasn't anybody else done it in the last 40 years If it's so easy...??????? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Let's do the same with Ali's record........

Liston was getting old and it was probably dodgy...........

Frazier was sloppy seconds from Foreman...

You see it's easy...............Just trashed Ali's best wins. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 21 Oct - 13:58

Khan has done little over the last 2 years, no doubt about that, to inactive and not faced decent opposition at WW.

I agree Devon should not be written off, but fail to see anything in their respective records, recent or otherwise, to make him anything close to favourite in a fight between them.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 21 Oct - 14:03

We'll say no more then..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Tue 21 Oct - 14:10

Glad we could agree TopHat, would have Khan as a large favourite going in but wouldn't be surprised if Devon picked up the win and certainly wouldn't write it off as a pointless win the same way Diaz and Molina wins were.

Can't remember who said it but would agree that its good match making just wish Khan had more fights like this in the last 2 years to legitimize his claim for the Mayweather fight instead of wasting time like he has been.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 21 Oct - 14:17

alanqlm wrote:Glad we could agree TopHat, would have Khan as a large favourite going in but wouldn't be surprised if Devon picked up the win and certainly wouldn't write it off as a pointless win the same way Diaz and Molina wins were.

Can't remember who said it but would agree that its good match making just wish Khan had more fights like this in the last 2 years to legitimize his claim for the Mayweather fight instead of wasting time like he has been.

Definitely agree.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 21 Oct - 14:32

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

(1) Duke McKenzie
(3) Yes he did, but Floyd didn't fight him at middle, did he? So stop trying to use that to big Floyd up.  Could just as easily say Floyd beat a guy that went on to lose comprehensively to Austin Trout.  He beat Cotto at 154 (a weight, bizarrely, he wasn't later able to fight Canelo at) and avoided him when at his 147 prime.

Duke Mckenzie is the only one you wally.............

And now there are two......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 21 Oct - 14:36

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

We'll say no more then..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 21 Oct - 19:22

Khan has been in pretty good fights and good value for money. This "earning a shot" at Mayweather is a load of crap. Thats not what counts with Mayweather. Mayweather began discussing terms with Khan before and then changed his mind (this was after Khan went life and death Julio Diaz). Otherwise this Alexander fight would have happened by now.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next