The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster v Edinburgh, Friday 2nd March, Ravenhill (kick off 7.05pm)

+26
The Great Aukster
profitius
Gibson
Imperialbigdave
humphstheman
Backrower678
valjester
Thomond
justified sinner
BelfastDickVet
MrsP
WillyGilly
clivemcl
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Kingshu
marty2086
RDW
Standulstermen
Notch
pete (buachaill on eirne)
rodders
Rory_Gallagher
geoff998rugby
Jenifer McLadyboy
Don Alfonso
Rava
30 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Ulster v Edinburgh, Friday 2nd March, Ravenhill (kick off 7.05pm) Empty Ulster v Edinburgh, Friday 2nd March, Ravenhill (kick off 7.05pm)

Post by Rava Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:27 pm

Ulster Team and replacements to face Edinburgh, Friday 2nd March 2012, Ravenhill (kick-off 7.05pm)

(15-9): A D'Arcy; C Gilroy, I Whitten, P Wallace (capt), S Terblanche; R Pienaar, P Marshall;
(1-8): P McAllister, A Kyriacou, J Afoa, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, P Wannenburg, W Faloon, R Diack;
Replacements (16-23): N Brady, C Black, A Macklin, N McComb, M McComish, I Humphreys, L Marshall, C Cochrane

Edinburgh Rugby team:
15 Tom Brown; 14 Sep Visser ,13 Matt Scott, 12 John Houston, 11 Tim Visser; 10 Phil Godman, 9 Chris Leck; 1 Kyle Traynor, 2 Andrew Kelly, 3 Ulises Gamboa, 4 Grant Gilchrist 5 Sean Cox, 6 Stuart McInally, 7 Roddy Grant CAPTAIN, 8 Netani Talei. Substitutes: 16 Alun Walker, 17 Robin Hislop, 18 Jack Gilding, 19 Robert McAlpine, 20 Hamish Watson, 21 Alex Black, 22 Harry Leonard, 23 Chris Paterson

Last edited by Rava on Thu 01 Mar 2012, 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Edinburgh, Friday 2nd March, Ravenhill (kick off 7.05pm) Empty Ulster v. Edinburgh, Ravenhill, 7:05pm, Friday 2nd March

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:30 pm

Provisional Ulster Squad to play Edinburgh, Friday 2nd March, Ravenhill (kick off 7.05pm):

Forwards:
Callum Black, Adam Macklin, John Afoa, Jerry Cronin, Paddy McAllister, Niall Annett, Andi Kyriacou, Nigel Brady, Lewis Stevenson, Iain Henderson, Dan Tuohy, Tim Barker, Neil McComb, Pedrie Wannenburg, Mike McComish, Willie Faloon, Robbie Diack, Chris Henry

Backs:
Paul Marshall, Ruan Pienaar, Ian Porter, Ian Humphreys, Paddy Jackson, James McKinney, Paddy Wallace (capt), Luke Marshall, Ian Whitten, Nevin Spence, Stefan Terblanche, Craig Gilroy, Conor Gaston, Chris Cochrane, Adam D’Arcy

Unavailable due to injury:
Declan Fitzpatrick, Jared Payne, Darren Cave, Johann Muller, Ali Birch, Simon Danielli

That Muller is still out is our biggest issue.
Potential Pienaar-Jackson-Wallace line-up?

Interesting that Paddy is captain.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Edinburgh, Friday 2nd March, Ravenhill (kick off 7.05pm) Empty Re: Ulster v Edinburgh, Friday 2nd March, Ravenhill (kick off 7.05pm)

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:35 pm

Rava wrote:The Ulstermen have lost just one of their last 18 encounters at Ravenhill in all competitions since December 2010:
That's because Leinster haven't visited since. Smile

We'll be up for a wee chat in April. If you're good we'll send the under 13s.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Edinburgh, Friday 2nd March, Ravenhill (kick off 7.05pm) Empty Re: Ulster v Edinburgh, Friday 2nd March, Ravenhill (kick off 7.05pm)

Post by Rava Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:36 pm

Thoughts on this one.

Will we revert to Pienaar/Humphries? Would you give Jackson a start between Pienaar and Wallace?

What do you think of Wallace being made captain. Third captain in as many games!

I would love to get some information on the Muller injury. As the saying goes, the silence is deafening.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:37 pm

Muller and Cave would, I think, have played if it was a HC game.
My take is that with a three week break coming up the decision has been taken why risk it.

Interesting the number of kids listed. Maybe one or two on the bench.
Would love to see Jackson get some game time between Pienaar and Wallace - maybe after 60 mins

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:38 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
Rava wrote:The Ulstermen have lost just one of their last 18 encounters at Ravenhill in all competitions since December 2010:

laughing Jenny you must be the Leinster equivalent of Sin é
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:41 pm

Can we merge this thread and mine? Geoff has posted abour Muller and Cave on t'other one.

I wasn't massively impressed with Marshall?Pienaar - neither looked great. Time for Paddy?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:44 pm

Rava wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:

laughing Jenny you must be the Leinster equivalent of Sin é

Way harsh man. You have to separate good natured banter from unyielding Wuming of the highest order

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:45 pm

Good to see Hendy in there.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:55 pm

Huge game. We could really be doing with maximum points here.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:56 pm

When Cave does return, will he slot straight into 13 ahead of Spence? I watched the Ospreys game again last night and thought Spence played very well actually, better than I first thought. There was one silly occasion where he should have passed and crabbed across the field badly, but he had a good game.

Also could Whitten's best position be on the wing? That was the best game I have ever seen from him.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:58 pm

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 28 Feb 2012, 2:14 pm

I've PM'd Kiwi so it should be done soon.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 28 Feb 2012, 2:18 pm

roddersm wrote:Huge game. We could really be doing with maximum points here.

Was just about to say the same. This is quite a big one in terms of qualification for the play offs IMO. Not a must win, but the next thing down

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 28 Feb 2012, 2:24 pm

Waiting to see what Scottish internationals Edinburgh have available before rushing to judge our chances.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:00 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:When Cave does return, will he slot straight into 13 ahead of Spence? I watched the Ospreys game again last night and thought Spence played very well actually, better than I first thought. There was one silly occasion where he should have passed and crabbed across the field badly, but he had a good game.

Also could Whitten's best position be on the wing? That was the best game I have ever seen from him.

Just quoting this to see if anyone has any opinions. Seems most of us are being reeled into the other thread by a certain angler known as Sin e Wink

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:12 pm

Rory at the minute I would have Cave ahead of Spence. You say there was one silly occasion where he should have passed. Unfortunately there were too many of those occasions. One sublime off load in the first half showed what he is capable of but he does take the ball into contact too often.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:21 pm

I know what you mean, but honestly he took the right option in most of the cases he didn't pass. There was one case he really was crabbing badly and took contact when he shouldn't have. In the other cases he probably did the right thing (IMO). I do agree however that he shouldn't go for contact so much, and show a bit more guile. I hope he learns a lot from Cave, there is no better centre (excluding BOD) in Ireland. Cave just has that awareness and rugby brain that puts him a step ahead.

Any thoughts on Whitten playing on the wing? Seems to me it could be his best position.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:24 pm

I think Cave should start. He just has a better head on his shoulders than Spence right now as others have pointed out. That is going to be key for us in the big games coming up after the Six Nations.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:28 pm

Another thing I forgot to note was that Stevenson I feel has been outplaying Tuohy the last few outings. Tuohy has been disappointing I feel, while Stevenson has got through a huge amount of work.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:31 pm

We were discussing Tuohy today. I think he needs a break. Look at his minutes on the pitch, particularly with Muller absent. I would start Stevenson and Barker on Friday and give big Dan a much needed rest
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:34 pm

Notch wrote:I think Cave should start. He just has a better head on his shoulders than Spence right now as others have pointed out. That is going to be key for us in the big games coming up after the Six Nations.

Yes, I'm delighted with the news that he is nearing fitness.

I know its tinkering but there might be some mileage in having Spence on the wing for a game once Cave has returned. Spence does have a great turn of speed. Probably more so than Whitten.

Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:37 pm

Stevenson had a cracker the other night, Tuohy definitely needs a break. Henry looks a bit jaded too.

I thought Spence was sensational (and I'm not one for superlatives Wink) last weekend. Best performance this season from him.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:52 pm

Is Marshall (the 12) getting anywhere close to the squad at all at all? Wish he hadn't got injured because I really think he is class. Think he could be the next long term Irish 12.

Would like to see him and Cave (and later Spence) paired up at some point but Wallace is too good to replace either right now. You guys will have (have already) some great centres

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 28 Feb 2012, 3:54 pm

roddersm wrote:Stevenson had a cracker the other night, Tuohy definitely needs a break. Henry looks a bit jaded too.

I thought Spence was sensational(and I'm not one for superlatives Wink) last weekend. Best performance this season from him.

You've spent way too much time on that other thread Rodders Wink
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 28 Feb 2012, 4:00 pm

Laugh
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 28 Feb 2012, 4:06 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Is Marshall (the 12) getting anywhere close to the squad at all at all? Wish he hadn't got injured because I really think he is class. Think he could be the next long term Irish 12.

Would like to see him and Cave (and later Spence) paired up at some point but Wallace is too good to replace either right now. You guys will have (have already) some great centres

He would be 4th choice 12 for Ulster. Wallace, then Whitten, then Spence, and then Marshall. He has a long way to go yet it seems. I feel Hanrahan has shown more promise personally, and that he will be the 12 to watch. He will probably be starting for Munster before Marshall gets his chance for Ulster. Mostly because Ulster have great depth at centre, while Munster have just had to sign 2 new centres.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 28 Feb 2012, 4:32 pm

This year yes - next year no.

Next year he will be Paddy's back up I reckon.

The Luke Marshall I saw last year looked the bees knees - this injury has knocked him back but he will return.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 28 Feb 2012, 4:41 pm

I saw him in the Aviva in that provincial thing and he and Gilroy looked like Gods gift to Irish Rugby but mainly Marshall.

I have high hopes for him I must say.

I'd like Whitten to go to Connacht or Munster to get gametime myself.

Hope you guys manage to get by Edinburgh, you should be aiming for it and denying them a LBP. Would be good to have 3 Irish provinces in the playoffs again. OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 28 Feb 2012, 4:50 pm

Geoff will know more than most but is there any chance Marshall will feature in the remaining fixtures. I think Ulster lost the plot by picking Spence ahead of him at 12 earlier this season and i think it damaged Spences confidence aswell.

Looking at the squad he could be in with a shout of a bench spot but given Jackson and McKinney are both named does that suggest maybe

9. Pienaar
10. Humph

21.Marshall
22. Jackson
23. D'arcy

Or do we need a back up 10 if Humph, Pienaar and Wallace are all starting. But for injury and unforseen event throughout the season i would like to see

Pienaar, Wallace, Gilroy, Marshall, Spence, Terblanche, D'arcy

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 28 Feb 2012, 4:55 pm

Does Marshall have a future at 10? Didn't he play there for the U-20's?

I can't wait to see him back to be honest but there's no rush. He's a young man and form, confidence and fitness are all temporary whereas class is permanent.

If hes as good as people say his time will come.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:14 pm

Have to say from an edinburgh point of view I think we're going to get humped!

We won't have any internationalists back as they will be rested, our backup is awful and our league form is in free fall!

I'd back our first team to give you a good game but can't see us getting anything from this other than experience for the numerous youngsters.

I'd target the breakdown - it used to be one of our strengths but ever since the London Irish amazing win we've been roasted there by every team we play, including supposedly 'weaker' teams in the league.

Saying that, Scottish teams always do better when underdogs so you never know!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:32 pm

Can either Stevenson or Barker call the line-out?

There won't be a better time this season to start Jacko - I think I'd go for it. If we have Wallace, Spence, Gilroy an Terblanche starting, I might also be tempted to give Cochrane a blast.

If we are going to start youngsters in the backline, we need to pick a pack that can give them good ball, though. So I don't know about resting Henry etc, although he could do with it.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:33 pm

RDW, the breakdown will be a most interesting contest in that case. We have been quite crass in that area in the last two games.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:34 pm

Rava wrote:
Notch wrote:I think Cave should start. He just has a better head on his shoulders than Spence right now as others have pointed out. That is going to be key for us in the big games coming up after the Six Nations.

Yes, I'm delighted with the news that he is nearing fitness.

I know its tinkering but there might be some mileage in having Spence on the wing for a game once Cave has returned. Spence does have a great turn of speed. Probably more so than Whitten.

I'd like to see that to be honest. I remember reading an interview with Spence in which he was saying he was hoping he could get some gametime on the wing the season of his breakthrough, then Cave got injured and we know the rest! It was at 13 he shone. I think that is his best position, but he could easily be a good winger in attack if his fielding of the high ball is up to scratch.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 29 Feb 2012, 8:41 am

To cover a few points:

I dont think we will see Luke Marshall unless we are out of the hunt for the Pro12 play offs. He should play a regular run of games in the AIB till the end of the season and then come back to pre season training all guns blazing.

Stevenson can call the line outs. He was captain earlier in the season

The reason Hery is not captain is because SOB has a slight knock and Henry could be on the bench on Sunday. Unlikely but Ulster have gone with a player they know will start.

I think we are as likely to see Spence on the wing next year as at 12, especially if Tommy doesn't come

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 29 Feb 2012, 2:54 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:I saw him in the Aviva in that provincial thing and he and Gilroy looked like Gods gift to Irish Rugby but mainly Marshall

Pete I think anyone who saw that much were impressed with Marshall cant remember how many tries he scored but he looked good

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:52 am

Luke Marshall set to be named on the bench tomorrow night, the Newsletter reports, as Nevin Spence has joined Simon Danielli and Darren Cave on the injury list. Whitten at 13, D'Arcy to 15 and Stefan to wing. Humphreys, Marshall and Cochrane to bench.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 01 Mar 2012, 6:57 am

Here s hoping he gets the chance to impress. Can see paddy coming off unless we have a win and a TBP wrapped up though

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 01 Mar 2012, 8:48 am

I think it is right to give the Marshall/Pienaer combo another go.

Really down to bare bones from 11 to 15 though.

I can only think of Gaston who is not already playing, on International duty or injured; that includes the development squad.

Last edited by geoff998rugby on Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:08 am

McLaughlin has said that Henry wont start Crying or Very sad
In fact he may well be on the plane to Paris as a spare forward.

If Wannenberg is missing as well this is not going to be easy.
I know they are at least 9 players down but we are missing 12/13 players now.

I think we will win but as our front five is still strong but it wont be easy.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:17 am

furious I shouldn't make my Sport Guru picks so early in the week!
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:08 pm

Ulster Match Day Squad to face Edinburgh, Friday 2nd March 2012, Ravenhill (kick-off 7.05pm)
(15-9): A D'Arcy; C Gilroy, I Whitten, P Wallace (capt), S Terblanche; R Pienaar, P Marshall;
(1-8): P McAllister, A Kyriacou, J Afoa, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, P Wannenburg, W Faloon, R Diack;
Replacements (16-23): N Brady, C Black, A Macklin, N McComb, M McComish, I Humphreys, L Marshall, C Cochrane

Unavailable due to injury: J Payne (achilles), D Fitzpatrick (neck), D Cave (foot), J Muller (calf), A Birch (knee), N Spence (hand), S Danielli (hamstring)

Team as expected then minus Henry do he can pick splinters out of his arse in Paris. Thems the breaks. Interesting that McComb seems to be above barker in the pecking order.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:12 pm

I think that is more to do with giving Tim a game, in the AIB, rather than a change in the pecking order.

Barker replace Stevenson on the bench in a game before Christmas for the same reason.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:15 pm

Thats a strong enough looking side, kind of picks itself really. Hopefully the halfbacks will perform better than last week.

Good to see Luke Marshall back on the bench.

Henry needs a rest to be honest and it's good to see that hes establishing himself as 5th choice backrower for Ireland.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:19 pm

I think geoff mentioned the front 5. This is where we should target. Providing our backrow functions with Pienaar, Wallace and terblanche in the backs we should have too much.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:44 pm

Looks a good team.

Looking for forward dominance and some calm, game management from the halfbacks, making the right decisions and taking points and scores when they come until they have a gap to go looking for a BP with.

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:59 pm

Nigel Owens is the ref

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:04 pm

Intresting I thought someone said Terblanche was playing outside centre in SA.

If tht was teh case I'd maybe put him at 13 and Whitten on the wing! as we have two 12's at centre, albet two different styles of 12.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:27 pm

Thank god we have a ref who knows one end of a whistle from the other - after the 2 clowns we have had the last two weeks.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next