The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

They're afraid of Wales

+24
eirebilly
SecretFly
Full Credit
Shifty
emack2
damngoodOvalball
Rory_Gallagher
majesticimperialman
Smirnoffpriest
thebluesmancometh
idris
wonder_man
EnglishReign
nganboy
Cymroglan
miteyironpaw
Biltong
Mr Fishpaste
dogtooth
BigTrevsbigmac
overlordofthewest
Knowsit17
maestegmafia
slartibartfast
28 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

They're afraid of Wales  - Page 2 Empty They're afraid of Wales

Post by slartibartfast Fri 02 Mar 2012, 11:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

SH teams don't want Wales to play at MS in the world cup as they think it's an unfair home advantage even though when England won the rights to host 2015 it was assumed the Wales games would be played at the MS as it made commercial sense. Wales at that time were 9th in the rankings. Now they're 5th.

So it looks like Wales are going to have to play elsewhere - but only matches against Tier 1 teams!

My point is, no matter which stadium Wales, Ireland and scotland play in - they're all going to be home matches!

So why force the WIS teams and their fans to travel to other 70000 seater stadia and lose Money to football grounds? When there's a perfectly good one down the m4/m8/m1

Playing anywhere this side of the channel is a home game!

Last edited by slartibartfast on Fri 02 Mar 2012, 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

They're afraid of Wales  - Page 2 Empty Re: They're afraid of Wales

Post by SecretFly Sat 03 Mar 2012, 4:35 pm

Full Credit wrote:Understandable billy, no-one cares about the west. Smile

Keep it that way. I intend losing myself in the Western half in a few years time. It's the 'no-one cares' bits of Australia that attract me.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Mar 2012, 4:39 pm

Totally different peope as well mate. The West are alot more relaxed the east coast Smile
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 03 Mar 2012, 4:46 pm

eirebilly wrote:Totally different peope as well mate. The West are alot more relaxed the east coast Smile

I've done a pretty thorough journey through the eastern half if you draw a line from north to south through Uluru. I've always promised myself the same tour through the West, from top to bottom - when a right time comes around!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sat 03 Mar 2012, 4:51 pm

Yes well maybe it was spoken like a true Queenslander. It's not really acceptable to admit you might like another state, least of all those Mexicans to the south.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 03 Mar 2012, 4:57 pm

nganboy wrote:
miteyironpaw wrote:They don't call wales The Village Idiots of World Rugby for nothing, huh?

Not sure who call them that and why. But even if it is true how is it relevant in this case? Also I can't see why we wouldn't want to play them there.

It was Chris Rattue, who writes a sports column for the New Zealand Herald. From memory, Graham Henry - then All Blacks coach and a former Wales coach - gave him a public telling-off. Some New Zealanders like Rattue, but others think he's a waste of space.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Mar 2012, 5:01 pm

So you are a cane toad? Laugh

I loved Qld, especially Fraser and Magnetic island. Brisbane was really nice as well.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sat 03 Mar 2012, 5:08 pm

eirebilly wrote:So you are a cane toad? Laugh
Ken Oath mate! Nice part of the world over here if you can put up with the bogans. Fraser's something special.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Mar 2012, 5:14 pm

You missed the 'eh' at the end FC Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sat 03 Mar 2012, 5:49 pm

just some final thoughts...

1. This wasn't a Wales thread - the title was purposly provocative

2. If there was no truth in this then it must be BBC Wales and now the BBC England web site making stuff up

3. I'll keep reiterating.. we need to keep rugby matches in rugby land

slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 03 Mar 2012, 5:55 pm

It isn't a Wales thread, yet the title is "They're afraid of Wales"..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Mar 2012, 6:00 pm

Well i am afraid of the Welsh girls in pink cowboy hats Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 04 Mar 2012, 2:17 pm

eirebilly wrote:Well i am afraid of the Welsh girls in pink cowboy hats Wink
More affraid of them than boys in pink cowboy hats...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 04 Mar 2012, 2:29 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Well i am afraid of the Welsh girls in pink cowboy hats Wink
More affraid of them than boys in pink cowboy hats...?

Statistically we don't fear Wales. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:40 pm

I'm afraid of Wales press releases, every time they make one it's more ridiculous than the last. Pompous, parochial nonsense.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:16 am

Mitey suck on a chill pill mate. Really you're going to kill yourself with all this bile.
As a Kiwi I have been amazed at the animosity between the Welsh and the English. First met it through an English guy I used to watch rugby with in China.

So one SA guy said he thinks it's not fair for Wales to play at MS so therefore NZ/Aus and SA are afraid of Wales. And if Wales and Ireland play each other in Scotland its a home game for everyone.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:30 am

nganboy wrote:Mitey suck on a chill pill mate. Really you're going to kill yourself with all this bile.
As a Kiwi I have been amazed at the animosity between the Welsh and the English. First met it through an English guy I used to watch rugby with in China.

So one SA guy said he thinks it's not fair for Wales to play at MS so therefore NZ/Aus and SA are afraid of Wales. And if Wales and Ireland play each other in Scotland its a home game for everyone.

Forget it.

As explained the title was tongue in cheek

My point is that it would be a shame to loose money to football just because it would be seen as unfair advantage for Wales to play the MS during pool stages - especially when all the stadia are within a couple of hundred miles of each other.

slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 05 Mar 2012, 2:47 am

For me most teams 'travel to' a world cup.

They expect to play away. They expect to play one or more teams 'at home'.

They expect the hosts to be making as much Revenue as they possibly can by playing the big home tickets wherever possible.

I wouldnt expect any team to begudge playing a home team on that basis, home advantage or not. If they do they just don't it.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Mon 05 Mar 2012, 5:19 am

50,000 Welshmen used to make the trip to Scotland every year just to drink with the Scottish lads tickets or not, there were always pubs to have 'Hwyl' in. More Irish and Welsh traveled to NZ than our whinging neighbours.

Not sure how keen the fans are these days but I bet there are still a few who do the trip minus a ticket.
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 05 Mar 2012, 6:13 am

The MS is a great stadium. Pity the pitch doesn't have the same quality.

It doesn't matter where we´re going to play. The French are going to kick us out wherever and whenever we play them in the knockouts. I don't think Wales really comes into it. Whistle

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Mon 05 Mar 2012, 6:26 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:The MS is a great stadium. Pity the pitch doesn't have the same quality.

It doesn't matter where we´re going to play. The French are going to kick us out wherever and whenever we play them in the knockouts. I don't think Wales really comes into it. Whistle

Concerts, speedway, and other idiotic uses for the MS are the reasons the turf does not hold. It is turf suicide for the MS when the turf is continually disturbed and replaced. Hamilton has a great turf of real and synthetic grass and is the pride of NZ as it is not used for cricket. I love the Waikato Stadium and fair play Hamilto has very little else has it Whistle
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorRoadWorks Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:23 pm

If the WRU put support (its vote) for RWC 2015 to go to England, based on the business plan that some games would be held at the MS and now (if this can be believed - which I don't) if the RFU are changing this due to pressure from the SH nations. We have to consider whether the vote was close and if the WRU hadn't voted for England, would they have been given the 2015 RWC. If that close, perhaps it should be given to the runner up.

But to be honest, this is nothing more than journalist trying to find a story. After all the only real story there is how brilliant the Welsh side is, how they are going to take another Grand Slam and be the top NH side, and best chance of the NH winning the 2015 RWC.

After all, they wont want to praise Wales, so why not generate cr@p about how unfair it will be allowing them to play at the MS and that it is akin to cheating.

My god, I've seen some early excuses before, but lining up excuses to devalue a Welsh World Cup win in 2015 beggars belief.

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:38 pm

I can't see what the issue is, in 1999 the RWC was held in Wales, but the games were all over europe.

If it happens again what is the difference?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:47 pm

biltongbek wrote:I can't see what the issue is, in 1999 the RWC was held in Wales, but the games were all over europe.

If it happens again what is the difference?

Not a bit of difference to SA, I'm sure. Paris is as good as London, is as good as Rome. They don't care. But if it was a SH WC in New Zealand again, and SA were allowed tip home to have their pool games in SA. I think there'd be eyebrows a raising in Australia. We here in Europe wouldn't rightly care.

A European hosted WC? That's a different kettle of fish. But one nation picking off a home adavantage when the WC is being held in a different nation is a bit 'Irish' (as we say here for irrational happenings)

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:53 pm

Well then in that case it must be stipulated by the RWC organisers that when the voting is done there is no misunderstanding that you may "buy" a vote with the promise of home draws.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:55 pm

Secret Fly - you mean like the 1999 WC with games in Scotland, Ireland, France and England but based in Wales?
Or the 2007 WC hosted by France but with games in Wales and Scotland?

Something which seems to have happened a lot when a world cup has been played in Europe as the nations are so close together (I mean the distance between Scotland to France is probable smaller than the size of one state in Australia/South Africa, and the distance includes Wales and England in between).

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:59 pm

This all sounds like nonsense and I imagine that when the bid for the WC is put foward you'd have to state specifically where the games are going to take place (so that issues like transport links, suitable stadia, infrastructure and hotels/lodgings issues can be evaluated), the bid is then accepted on whats put foward and can't be changed without a good reason.

The only thing that could be changed is what groups play in what stadiums, but I can't see this making a huge amount of difference, if say Scotland play in Cardiff and Wales play in Anfield (except that it would make more sense logisically, and bring more money for teams to be playing closer to their fans).

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:59 pm

MajorRoadWorks wrote: After all the only real story there is how brilliant the Welsh side is, how they are going to take another Grand Slam and be the top NH side, and best chance of the NH winning the 2015 RWC.

You could be right, there's only 4 years to go and I'm sure nothing will change. That's usually what happens. Whistle
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorRoadWorks Mon 05 Mar 2012, 2:07 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:
MajorRoadWorks wrote: After all the only real story there is how brilliant the Welsh side is, how they are going to take another Grand Slam and be the top NH side, and best chance of the NH winning the 2015 RWC.

You could be right, there's only 4 years to go and I'm sure nothing will change. That's usually what happens. Whistle

Thanks... and I've seen others slate you on here for being anti-welsh and well a complete Muppet (summary of what they say - not what I think).

Actually, from what you say above, I'm glad to see you agree with me. Hug

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2