The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nature's Best Southpaw

+2
DaveVDK
Rowley
6 posters

Go down

Nature's Best Southpaw Empty Nature's Best Southpaw

Post by Guest Sat 03 Mar 2012, 3:48 pm

Up to 14% of the world’s population are left-handed. It is thought this gives nature's southpaws an unexpected advantage in fisticuffs, as most people are expecting punches to come from a right not left hand. If a left-handed fighter also has the ability to throw shots from unusual angles, this may give them the edge which proves decisive in combat. Obviously, much of this is negated if both fighters are trained, but my question is related to southpaws who throw unusual punches. Who, in your opinion was the best?

Back to top Go down

Nature's Best Southpaw Empty Re: Nature's Best Southpaw

Post by Rowley Sat 03 Mar 2012, 4:24 pm

Lew Tendler was a natural southpaw and a terrific fighter, were it not for being around during the pomp of Benny Leonard would have almost certainly been lightweight champion of the world

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Sat 03 Mar 2012, 5:21 pm

Winky Wright cant not be considered, anyone who thinks otherwise obviously hasnt seen his masterful schooling of Trinidad.

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 03 Mar 2012, 10:21 pm

Pacquiao's hardly the best boxer, but he does throw some great punches from weird angles.

Was Hagler a southpaw or ambidextrous?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 03 Mar 2012, 11:10 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Pacquiao's hardly the best boxer, but he does throw some great punches from weird angles.

Was Hagler a southpaw or ambidextrous?

He's right handed, hence why he had such a great right hook.

I think ortiz is a right handed southpaw, and I heard a commentator say Alexander is also right handed.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by The Boss Sun 04 Mar 2012, 12:30 am

Hagler was a switch hitter, but would generally lead off as a southpaw I think, John Bloody Wayne. Probably what cost him the decision in the SRL fight. (Not that I think he was beat) haha. Sweet Pea Whittaker is a southpaw that would be hard to look past here, Media.

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 04 Mar 2012, 12:36 am

Whitaker certainly the greatest left-hander of the lot I'd say, in both terms of talent and career achievements. Pacquiao and Hagler, in that oder, complete the holy trinity at the top.

Would add, though, that the great Featherweight champion Vicente Saldivar would be a good candidate. Superb puncher (which is, oddly enough, relatively rare amongst southpaws) and an unbelievable workrate which did at times include shots thrown from befuddling angles and trajectories, even though he was, the majority of the time, more of a technician than an improvser. Still one of the most underrated boxers of all time, in my opinion.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down