The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Southpaw punchers

+8
HumanWindmill
88Chris05
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
D4thincarnation
samevans1
TRUSSMAN66
BALTIMORA
azania
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Southpaw punchers Empty Southpaw punchers

Post by azania Sat May 14, 2011 8:40 am

Are there any concussive southpaw punchers? I dont mean boxers with a good left hook, but fighters fighting out of a southpaw stance who are heavy KO artists. There used to be Michael Moorer at LHW but I cant think of many more.

azania

Back to top Go down

Southpaw punchers Empty Re: Southpaw punchers

Post by BALTIMORA Sat May 14, 2011 8:47 am

NOOOOOOOOOO!!! You've asked for it now.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat May 14, 2011 8:53 am

Oh s**t!!! Just realised. OK outside of Moorer and Pac, any other concussive southpaw fighters?

I ask because whenever I see a SP throwing a straight left, it doesn't seem or look natural or having much power. But a left hook it a thing of beauty.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat May 14, 2011 8:57 am

Rocky Balboa.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat May 14, 2011 9:14 am

BALTIMORA wrote:Rocky Balboa.

Hmmmmm.

I'm just hoping windy doesn't mention boxers he saw fight live at ringside in 1928 or something.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat May 14, 2011 9:16 am

I am seriously stumped. There's a thread about top ten southpaws on boxongscene, but not concussive ones.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat May 14, 2011 9:18 am

acelino freitas...wasn't he a southpaw...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat May 14, 2011 9:20 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:acelino freitas...wasn't he a southpaw...

Just checked. He isn't.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat May 14, 2011 9:22 am

BALTIMORA wrote:I am seriously stumped. There's a thread about top ten southpaws on boxongscene, but not concussive ones.

Any ideas why? Calzaghe was a hard hitter until his hands forced him to change a little. Looking at DeGale, he doesn't appear a solid hitter either.

Actually Naz was one. Huge hitter. But he could hit hard with both hands.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat May 14, 2011 9:23 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:acelino freitas...wasn't he a southpaw...

A quick check of boxrec says no*. Got me thinking though; Donaire and Sergio Martinez aren't southpaws either but weren't their last KOs with their left? Montiel and Williams? Pretty sure Donaire stopped Darchinyan with a left too. Irrelevant I know, but interesting still.

*dont know enough first hand to verify that.

Last edited by BALTIMORA on Sat May 14, 2011 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by samevans1 Sat May 14, 2011 9:25 am

He fought southpaw though; I am definite on that.

samevans1

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sat May 14, 2011 9:28 am

azania wrote:Are there any concussive southpaw punchers? I dont mean boxers with a good left hook, but fighters fighting out of a southpaw stance who are heavy KO artists. There used to be Michael Moorer at LHW but I cant think of many more.

Manny Pacquiao, he has huge power in the left as a straight left or the left hook, both devastating weapons and is a certified KO artist.

One of his nicknames was the Filipino slugger, and made the lower weights exciting to watch with all his KOs.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat May 14, 2011 9:29 am

D4thincarnation wrote:
azania wrote:Are there any concussive southpaw punchers? I dont mean boxers with a good left hook, but fighters fighting out of a southpaw stance who are heavy KO artists. There used to be Michael Moorer at LHW but I cant think of many more.

Manny Pacquiao, he has huge power in the left as a straight left or the left hook, both devastating weapons and is a certified KO artist.

One of his nicknames was the Filipino slugger, and made the lower weights exciting to watch with all his KOs.

Please read the OP's amended question.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat May 14, 2011 9:31 am

Isn't Ortiz a lefty? Not a communist.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat May 14, 2011 9:32 am

A 60 odd percent stoppage record isn't that of a ko artist.

A true ko artist could put old fighters to sleep without being booed.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat May 14, 2011 9:34 am

samevans1 wrote:He fought southpaw though; I am definite on that.

Just seen some of his fights. He isn't.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat May 14, 2011 9:35 am

D4thincarnation wrote:

Give it a rest D4. Moreover when talking about concussive punchers, I'm referring to 1 punch KO power. Think Naz.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat May 14, 2011 9:36 am

Here we go. If this thread gets dominated about how hard Pac punches, it will be locked.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat May 14, 2011 9:41 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:A 60 odd percent stoppage record isn't that of a ko artist.

A true ko artist could put old fighters to sleep without being booed.

I know, but he IS a lefty. Frankly I'm just struggling to think of them.

That wasn't aimed at me at all, was it. Doh

Last edited by BALTIMORA on Sat May 14, 2011 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sat May 14, 2011 9:42 am

azania wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:

Give it a rest D4. Moreover when talking about concussive punchers, I'm referring to 1 punch KO power. Think Naz.

Pacquiao has one puncher power and answers you questions perfectly and has scored a number of KOs with the left.

Naz fought with a very unorthodox stance.

Donaire is a switch hitting and has scored KOs from the southpaw stance

Ortiz is very strange he is a converted orthodox

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat May 14, 2011 9:43 am

Naz was a switch hitter but generally a SP. Unorthodox yet, but a lefty nevertheless.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat May 14, 2011 10:18 am

No, BALTI, I think you can guess who it was aimed at.

The guy with sticky hands from last weekend.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat May 14, 2011 10:52 am

Hamed has already been mentioned I see, and it is interesting that in general, the lefties do tend to be hurtful, rather than devastating punchers.

If we count the switch-hitting Hagler then he'd be near the top, but one really notable exception would be 1920s Featherweight contender George 'KO' Chaney. A marvelous puncher by all accounts, and his record backs that up, particularly considering that he was such a small man.

Vicente Saldivar had some whack on him, too, although again he was never really a genuine one-punch knockout artist.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat May 14, 2011 11:00 am

88Chris05 wrote:Hamed has already been mentioned I see, and it is interesting that in general, the lefties do tend to be hurtful, rather than devastating punchers.

If we count the switch-hitting Hagler then he'd be near the top, but one really notable exception would be 1920s Featherweight contender George 'KO' Chaney. A marvelous puncher by all accounts, and his record backs that up, particularly considering that he was such a small man.

Vicente Saldivar had some whack on him, too, although again he was never really a genuine one-punch knockout artist.

Any ideas why there are rew KO lefties?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat May 14, 2011 11:04 am

azania wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:Hamed has already been mentioned I see, and it is interesting that in general, the lefties do tend to be hurtful, rather than devastating punchers.

Just a theory, but it might be that they can rarely employ the right hook as a devastating weapon, since they will, for the most part, be facing orthodox fighters. Many of the greatest punchers in history are renowned for employing the leading hand hook as the primary weapon. Not all, of course, but a fair few.

It's the only thing remotely approaching an explanation that I can think of.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sat May 14, 2011 11:08 am

azania wrote:

Because the money punch has to come from such a long way, the more power you put behind it the easy it to see. Southpaws may look to shorten up there punches to make them land. Also there stance make it difficult for an orthadox fighter to hit, with there right having to come from a long way so soutpaw's stance does favour a more defensive stance.

It takes a special type of fighter to be a southpaw KO artist.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat May 14, 2011 11:11 am

D4thincarnation wrote:
azania wrote:

Because the money punch has to come from such a long way, the more power you put behind it the easy it to see. Southpaws may look to shorten up there punches to make them land. Also there stance make it difficult for an orthadox fighter to hit, with there right having to come from a long way so soutpaw's stance does favour a more defensive stance.

I agree, D4.

I believe that you and I are saying pretty much the same thing, though your explanation was rather better.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sat May 14, 2011 11:13 am

HumanWindmill wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:
azania wrote:

I agree, D4.

I believe that you and I are saying pretty much the same thing, though your explanation was rather better.

Great minds and all that thumbsup

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat May 14, 2011 11:15 am

D4thincarnation wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:
azania wrote:

I agree, D4.

Great minds and all that thumbsup

Quite so, Sir !

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat May 14, 2011 11:21 am

Actually thinking about it Windy that stands to good reason. The majority of boxers are right-handers, so they're more likely to fight right-handed guys. If their tactics don't produce the same effects against southpaws the figures are negligible because the chances are they don't face enough to make a huge difference to the curve. Flip that around and you have southpaws fighting as mirrors of the righted, only the majority of their opponents will be opposite-handed. Does that make sense?

No.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat May 14, 2011 11:25 am

BALTIMORA wrote:Actually thinking about it Windy that stands to good reason. The majority of boxers are right-handers, so they're more likely to fight right-handed guys. If their tactics don't produce the same effects against southpaws the figures are negligible because the chances are they don't face enough to make a huge difference to the curve. Flip that around and you have southpaws fighting as mirrors of the righted, only the majority of their opponents will be opposite-handed. Does that make sense?

No.

Perfect sense, BALTI.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat May 14, 2011 11:26 am

Quite a few lefties actually fight out of an orthodox stance, so I think the actual question is why aren't there many powerful southpaws rather than lefties: Corbett, Jeffries and Barrera being 3 notable cases of this.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat May 14, 2011 11:27 am

BALTIMORA wrote:Actually thinking about it Windy that stands to good reason. The majority of boxers are right-handers, so they're more likely to fight right-handed guys. If their tactics don't produce the same effects against southpaws the figures are negligible because the chances are they don't face enough to make a huge difference to the curve. Flip that around and you have southpaws fighting as mirrors of the righted, only the majority of their opponents will be opposite-handed. Does that make sense?

No.

I agree Erm

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 14, 2011 11:28 am

Hmmm. Think you are forgetting Marvellous Marvin Hagler? Did not start as a particularly devastating puncher, but gosh did he pick up a few knockouts along the way.
If only he hadn't tried to be so clever against Ray, by attempting to fight orthodox Doh
Also Alan Minter

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sat May 14, 2011 11:29 am

No.

So what you are saying is that southpaws will have an advantage over orthodox fighters because mostly southpaw fight orthodox fighters and orthodox fighters will normally fight orthodox fighter too.

I agree.

A lot of orthodox fighters have problems when facing southpaws.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat May 14, 2011 11:33 am

D4thincarnation wrote:

No.

So what you are saying is that southpaws will have an advantage over orthodox fighters because mostly southpaw fight orthodox fighters and orthodox fighters will normally fight orthodox fighter too.

I agree.

Yeah, basically. I thought that was the whole reason why southpaws were seen as a danger to righties.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat May 14, 2011 11:39 am

BALTIMORA wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:

No.

I agree.

Yeah, basically. I thought that was the whole reason why southpaws were seen as a danger to righties.

Actually, no. I misread what you said. What I meant was that if southpaws have to adjust from what works for righties because most of their opponents will be opposite-handed, it has a negative impact. Example:
Suppose a right hook works for a righty against a righty. Likewise left hook works for lefty vs lefty. Righty will only have to adjust a small number of times when fighting lefties. Conversely lefty will have to adjust more due to more right fighters.

I think it's like windy said.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat May 14, 2011 11:44 am

Corrie Sanders had heavy (and fast) hands thumbsup

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Sat May 14, 2011 11:46 am

There are quite a few other heavy handed southpaws.

Wasnt Edwin Valero a southpaw?

In recent years we've also seen Moorer, Prince Naz, Paquaio, Lucian Bute, Harrison (he's got decent power depite his flaws) and Corrie Sanders to name but a few.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sat May 14, 2011 11:48 am

I think you have muddled yourself up.

Lefties don't adjust the are use to fighter righties, and when the fight a leftie themselves they are both in a same boat.

Southpaw also takes away an orthodox fighters strongest punch, the right hook and make their jab more easily counterable. .

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat May 14, 2011 11:52 am

D4thincarnation wrote:I think you have muddled yourself up.

Lefties don't adjust the are use to fighter righties, and when the fight a leftie themselves they are both in a same boat.

Southpaw also takes away an orthodox fighters strongest punch, the right hook and make their jab more easily counterable. .

No, I'm not muddled. The fact righties have to adjust for lefties doesn't impact the stats so much because there aren't so many lefties around. On the flipside, if the right hook is negated by a lefty, and we assume the left hook is the lefty fighters strongest punch, it's the lefty who has to adjust more often.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sat May 14, 2011 11:55 am

BALTIMORA wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:I think you have muddled yourself up.

No, I'm not muddled. The fact righties have to adjust for lefties doesn't impact the stats so much because there aren't so many lefties around. On the flipside, if the right hook is negated by a lefty, and we assume the left hook is the lefty fighters strongest punch, it's the lefty who has to adjust more often.

Lefties are use to that situation and most of them for that reason don't use the left hook, as the OP was wondering why. They don't adjust, because they are trained all their lives to fight against orthodox fighters.

Do you think all the lefties train together or something?

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat May 14, 2011 11:55 am

Very true actually Balti, never though of it like that and surely a southpaws jab is easily countered by a righty?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat May 14, 2011 11:57 am

Devon Alexander can hit hard, he's a lefty, Hagler could bang, he's a lefty

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sat May 14, 2011 11:58 am

The Mighty Atom wrote:Very true actually Balti, never though of it like that and surely a southpaws jab is easily countered by a righty?

No it is not.

What punch do you think counter's the southpaw's jab?

And why is that so easy?

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat May 14, 2011 12:02 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:Very true actually Balti, never though of it like that and surely a southpaws jab is easily countered by a righty?

Well I figured the main reason southpaws are considered a threat is because they're different to most opponents a boxer will face, but that also means they have to train to fight what are to them 'unorthodox' opponents the majority of the time. I'm quite curious of the whole scenario now.

I mean, by rights southpaws should be more used to facing opposite-handed opposition, and so should really take that into account when training etc, but that still means that, as you say, whatever works for one will work (in theory) in mirror for their opponent.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat May 14, 2011 12:02 pm

D4, if your going to generalise to say that southpaws can do this and that then the reverse must also be true. A southpaws main punch is the left hook which is negated to a degree by the orthodox stance much like how an orthodox right is negated by the southpaw stance.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sat May 14, 2011 12:07 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:D4, if your going to generalise to say that southpaws can do this and that then the reverse must also be true. A southpaws main punch is the left hook which is negated to a degree by the orthodox stance much like how an orthodox right is negated by the southpaw stance.

1) You haven't answered my question.

2) Southpaw generally don't rely on the left hook and have shorten it up to compensate hence the OP's orignally question.

3) Read again what I have wrote that gives southpaws an advantage.

Should I have to explain all this to you, you are meant to be boxing fans.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat May 14, 2011 12:12 pm

Your second point actually backs up what we've been saying, they have to adapt their left hook because of the orthodox stance in the same way an orthodox fighter does.

Coming from you I think the irony of your last sentence is lost on me

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sat May 14, 2011 12:18 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:Your second point actually backs up what we've been saying, they have to adapt their left hook because of the orthodox stance in the same way an orthodox fighter does.

Coming from you I think the irony of your last sentence is lost on me

So still no answer?

Searching for one maybe?

Adapts mean to change, since that how they fight, it is not adapting.

Maybe someone else should explain this to them. 🤦

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next