The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

France vs Ireland match thread.

+61
skippy
aitchw
BlueMuff
geoff998rugby
Mickado
ME-109
hugo124
SecretFly
miteyironpaw
KiaRose
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Standulstermen
tecphobe
slartibartfast
geoff999rugby
whocares
Feckless Rogue
The Great Aukster
Taffineastbourne
MrsP
yappysnap
PenfroPete
LuvSports!
George Carlin
Glas a du
HammerofThunor
mckay1402
Thomond
nobbled
wolfball
Breadvan
EnglishReign
Cymroglan
TBJ9625
majesticimperialman
Rory_Gallagher
MacKnocked-on
thebluesmancometh
rodders
Chunky Norwich
ultra
Notch
mystiroakey
Dave.
maestegmafia
WillyGilly
ChequeredJersey
UlstermaninGlasgow
Golden
dublin_dave
BigTrevsbigmac
flynnnio
Rava
Hookisms and Hyperbole
wales606
Cowshot
Gibson
Shifty
Cari
eirebilly
Biltong
65 posters

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

France vs Ireland match thread. - Page 15 Empty France vs Ireland match thread.

Post by Biltong Sun 04 Mar 2012, 2:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

France: C Poitrenaud (Toulouse), V Clerc (Toulouse), A Rougerie (Clermont Auvergne), W Fofana (Clermont Auvergne), J Malzieu (Clermont Auvergne), F Trinh-Duc (Montpellier), M Parra (Clermont Auvergne), JB Poux (Toulouse), D Szarzewski (Stade Francais), N Mas (Perpignan), P Pape (Stade Francais), Y Maestri (Toulouse), T Dusautoir (Toulouse), J Bonnaire (Clermont Auvergne), I Harinordoquy (Biarritz)

Replacements: W Servat (Toulouse), V Debaty (Clermont Auvergne), L Nallet (Racing Metro), L Picamoles (Toulouse), J Dupuy (Stade Francais), L Beauxis (Toulouse), M Mermoz (Perpignan)

Ireland: R Kearney (Leinster); T Bowe (Ospreys), K Earls (Munster), G D'Arcy (Leinster), A Trimble (Ulster); J Sexton (Leinster), C Murray (Munster); C Healy (Leinster), R Best (Ulster), M Ross (Leinster), D O'Callaghan (Munster), P O'Connell (Munster), S Ferris (Ulster), S O'Brien (Leinster), J Heaslip (Leinster)

Replacements: S Cronin (Leinster), T Court (Ulster), D Ryan (Munster), P O'Mahony (Munster), E Reddan (Leinster), R O'Gara (Munster), F McFadden (Leinster)

After a nice exhausting weekend by the dam, I am at least back early enough to watch this match.

Irealand is up against it, but the French have not yet played a team in great form so this one might go either way.

Good luck to me Irish mates.

Of course I will be supporting the boys in green.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

France vs Ireland match thread. - Page 15 Empty Re: France vs Ireland match thread.

Post by dublin_dave Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:53 am

if we get two wins in the next two weeks it be a reasonable campaign. agreed given injuries etc

i want to see two wins and two decent performances where we back ourselves to play some rugby. strangling the life out of scotland and england in two snooze fests will not convince me that kidney is the right man to take things forward.

we have the players to play decent attacking rugby and beat Scotland and England. They will be tough games but we can do it if we just release the shackles a little bit.

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

France vs Ireland match thread. - Page 15 Empty Re: France vs Ireland match thread.

Post by eirebilly Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:16 am

Scotland has me nervous dave. I think that is very much a match that will define the teams and as much as i hate to say this, Scotland look a little more better than Ireland.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:21 am

Yikes censored

Billy! BELIEVE!

warning France vs Ireland match thread. - Page 15 3933776953
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:22 am

dublin_dave wrote:if we get two wins in the next two weeks it be a reasonable campaign. agreed given injuries etc

Yeah its balanced on a knife edge really. Win our next two and arguably we've progressed slightly from last year but lose either and we've gone backwards again.

We were comprehensively out muscled, out smarted and out played against Wales and we should have put France away. Two very disappointing results for different reasons.

Two wins now will put a positive slant on things and Kidney probably deserves until after the NZ tour to be judged otherwise he should go after the competition.

We do look stale and predictable in attack and we desperately need some new ideas and inspiration. The self belief to grind out results in tight games is gone too.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:34 am

Glas a du wrote: Yikes censored

Billy! BELIEVE!

warning France vs Ireland match thread. - Page 15 3933776953

ssshhhhh, I am trying this whole new approach Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:37 am

i struggle to see us winning the next two games.

and thats the head talking for once not me being an eternal pessimist.

hopefully we can pick up a decent backs coach after 6 nations as a priority

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:40 am

When it comes to matchday i will have Ireland thumping Scotland by 30 though Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:19 pm

eirebilly wrote:Scotland has me nervous dave. I think that is very much a match that will define the teams and as much as i hate to say this, Scotland look a little more better than Ireland.

I tend to agree with my Dutch compadre there. We are there for the taking. Specially up-front.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishhoneymonster Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:34 pm

roddersm wrote:
dublin_dave wrote:if we get two wins in the next two weeks it be a reasonable campaign. agreed given injuries etc

Yeah its balanced on a knife edge really. Win our next two and arguably we've progressed slightly from last year but lose either and we've gone backwards again.
We were comprehensively out muscled, out smarted and out played against Wales and we should have put France away. Two very disappointing results for different reasons.

Two wins now will put a positive slant on things and Kidney probably deserves until after the NZ tour to be judged otherwise he should go after the competition.

We do look stale and predictable in attack and we desperately need some new ideas and inspiration. The self belief to grind out results in tight games is gone too.

I really don't want to be a killjoy but win our next two and this still shows no progression as far as I am concerned. At least not in the last 2 or 3 years. Win our next two and we are on a par with last 2 years or so. Which if we are honest, is still unacceptable Crying or Very sad

Irishhoneymonster

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:11 pm

I agree actually honeymonster.. so in a sense disagree with myself....I was trying find some positives but they're aren't many.... Sad .

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishhoneymonster Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:14 pm

you can call me honey Laugh

Irishhoneymonster

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Right Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:49 pm

roddersm wrote:I agree actually honeymonster.. so in a sense disagree with myself....I was trying find some positives but they're aren't many.... Sad .

Actually, if we can win the next 2 - given POC & BOD are out - it might not be that bad. It MIGHT show to our management that Irish teams can operate without some of their main players. I've always felt that we have enough good players to be able to pick different players for different positions depending on what type of game we want to play. Can help throw the opposition too.

Although, it is getting late and I went for a long run after work and am quite tired. I might be asleep and dreaming!!

Red Right

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishhoneymonster Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:58 pm

Red Right wrote:
roddersm wrote:I agree actually honeymonster.. so in a sense disagree with myself....I was trying find some positives but they're aren't many.... Sad .

Actually, if we can win the next 2 - given POC & BOD are out - it might not be that bad. It MIGHT show to our management that Irish teams can operate without some of their main players. I've always felt that we have enough good players to be able to pick different players for different positions depending on what type of game we want to play. Can help throw the opposition too.

Although, it is getting late and I went for a long run after work and am quite tired. I might be asleep and dreaming!!

To be fair it doesn't matter who's out. I understand what you're saying but still we have gone nowhere, especially if we make no changes other than those that have been forced by injury, and I fully expect us to make no changes other than those that are forced Sad

Irishhoneymonster

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:01 pm

Well, look at the bright side. It will give you an idea of other combinations or a glimpse into the future. Whether O'Driscoll and O'Connell come back at full canter or not, the end of their careers is coming sometime soon. Hopefully, not for a while, mind, but it is coming. Might as well see what the future holds.

Look at it this way, it must be better than England trying out a virtually new team.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:14 pm

It's a good way of looking at it, these 2 key players will be gone soon. And their injuries/rehab, have forced Kidneys hand to change, sooner than he'd like. Like most of his better selections. But the real problem we have is the coach. He lives in the last Century and is lost at this level. Once he goes, then we can all talk of moving on up. If the IRFU actually pick the right coach this time that is.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:22 pm

Who is Connor O Shea I take it?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:23 pm

No.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:23 pm

Michael Bradley?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:39 pm

Never even eard of im.

NOT top of my list. Wink

Besides. The present coach's job is safe - until he dies.Same with the players he's hanging onto. Its how we do things in Ireland.

Progression by natural wastage.

Yeah, that will work. Sheesh.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:58 pm

I'm just worried that O'Connell and O'Driscoll are out BUT we're not really trying to blood long-term replacements... D'Arcy and Earls. D'Arcy is just there. It' sad remembering how good he was, but it's now five years since his best form. He has the occasional good game but is mainly mediocre. Earls is fine. I guess the next 13 was always going to suffer by comparison. He still has a lot to learn about playing that position but we're in no way trying to develop a new centre combination to replace the one that passed it's peak five years ago. We're just trying to change as little as possible by shoehorning Earls in.

It looks likely that the locks will be the uncomplimentary pairing of the Donnachas; Ryan and O'Callaghan. It's not a balanced partnership, and Ryan- the form player of the two- is only going to be in the team because of O'Connells absence. In fact, you could say the same for Earls and O'Driscoll.

And on the bench the 32-year old McCarthy will be prefered to the very much in form 26 year-old Tuohy. No Tuohy is a guy who could become a mainstay of the Irish team with the right guidance. Right age profile and ability. But when the best of our locks is injured he's discarded for a 32-year old player who is just okay?

The absence of these two legends affords an opportunity to plan a new future, but we're trying to recapture the past.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 07 Mar 2012, 12:07 am

All true. And he's not going to change now. So. The answer my friend, is for the IRFU to say goodbye. But, they will honour the contract, Id bet. I think the NZ tour should seal his faith.

Actually, we really need change on the IRFU Board. Bit more concerned about them, than Kidney right now.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Notch!

Happy Everyday man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrlQ6nfcqQI
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 07 Mar 2012, 12:32 am

Thanks. Thats nice- almost makes me want to dig out my slide. Actually that guy sounds a lot like Ry Cooder. That could easily be from the Paris, Texas soundtrack! Or maybe I just associate that style with Cooder.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 7:33 am

Gibson wrote:All true. And he's not going to change now. So. The answer my friend, is for the IRFU to say goodbye. But, they will honour the contract, Id bet. I think the NZ tour should seal his faith.

Actually, we really need change on the IRFU Board. Bit more concerned about them, than Kidney right now.

What if, just what if John Kirwan becomes the backs/attacking coach under Kidney? I think that a blend of both their styles could really work with Foley inbetween them.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 07 Mar 2012, 9:01 am

eirebilly wrote:
Gibson wrote:All true. And he's not going to change now. So. The answer my friend, is for the IRFU to say goodbye. But, they will honour the contract, Id bet. I think the NZ tour should seal his faith.

What if, just what if John Kirwan becomes the backs/attacking coach under Kidney? I think that a blend of both their styles could really work with Foley inbetween them.

Is John Kirwan really a successful coach though? Japan and Italy… anyone else?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 9:17 am

Well i thought that he did a very good job with Italy's backline myself.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 07 Mar 2012, 9:35 am

Gibson wrote:If the IRFU actually pick the right coach this time that is.

Eddie O'Sullivan? ...save us Eddie!

Happy B'day Notch guinness ....... not really a good time to use the age card against McCarthy though.... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:13 am

eirebilly wrote:Well i thought that he did a very good job with Italy's backline myself.

In fairness he had what no Italy coach has had since at his disposal. Troncon and Dominquez have never been replaced.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:18 am

So i guess thats a big NO from you in regards to Kirwan than Mikado?

Who do you suggest?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:49 am

You might throw the same line at the present projected hopefuls for when the job comes up.

What has Conor O'Shea really done? Or Bradley --- yet? And we all know what O'Sullivan has done. Great work when he was here but he's had his stint. We'll be called the Back to the Future side if he get's the call again.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:54 am

Most definitely a no Billy!

Firstly I think we should have a separate backs and defense coach. If Kiss wants to coach the backs then why not try to coax Kurt McQuilkin out of retirement? If Kiss wants to stick with defense then we could do worse than asking JS to join the team in some capacity.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:55 am

I honestly feel that if you had Declan Kidney as head coach with Kirwan as backs/attacking coach and Foley as forwards coach then Ireland may have a good setup.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Mar 2012, 10:57 am

Billy, how long is Kidney's contract for still?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 11:05 am

Another couple biltong so if he refuses to leave and they cant buy him out then they should look to getting an extra coach or two Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Mar 2012, 11:07 am

Seeing that Mallet is not good enough for England, why doesn't the IRFU pull him in?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 11:09 am

Money biltong, money Wink

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Mar 2012, 11:09 am

He is a south african, we work for peanuts.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 11:12 am

Yeah but we dont grow peanuts, if he was a culchie we could offer him a couple of our sexiest sheep Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 07 Mar 2012, 11:13 am

biltongbek wrote:Seeing that Mallet is not good enough for England, why doesn't the IRFU pull him in?

Excuse me???! censored
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 11:15 am

Mallet.......................... SA approach again (no offence biltong!) But this persistent attitude in Ireland that we should play a powerful forward orientated game is just not sustainable for the kind of players Ireland produces.

We have to play to our strengths, and our strengths are smaller, more mobile players keeping things animated and in constant flow to bypass collision rugby as much as possible and use energies to run and have clinically coached support systems to exploit the speed and invention. We can mix it with big physical sides but it takes its toll and we have nothing to replace the usual suspects when they get injured.

We need a coach in Joe Schmidt's mould - a coach who sees Irish strengths and organises gameplans around those strengths rather than constantly trying to turn small men into defensive giants.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Mar 2012, 11:23 am

Fly, I think your perception of Mallet is tainted by what you saw from Italy.

Remember a coach will some times have to adjust his plan and coaching style to what suits the talent at his disposal.

If you look at the type of game SA played in the time that Mallet was their coach it was from from just a forward dominated affair.

We played shampagne rugby during his tenure. Our try scoring stats during his tenure was very high and we didn't have the biggest back line during that time either. In fact if you look at the players then it was really a medium sized team.

Mallet will do wonders with a team of players wanting to run the ball.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 11:54 am

biltongbek wrote:Fly, I think your perception of Mallet is tainted by what you saw from Italy.

Remember a coach will some times have to adjust his plan and coaching style to what suits the talent at his disposal.

If you look at the type of game SA played in the time that Mallet was their coach it was from from just a forward dominated affair.

We played shampagne rugby during his tenure. Our try scoring stats during his tenure was very high and we didn't have the biggest back line during that time either. In fact if you look at the players then it was really a medium sized team.

Mallet will do wonders with a team of players wanting to run the ball.

Well................ I'm so fed up with our punch-drunk brand of rugby that I'd still require him to sign a legal promisory note that he'd take us down a different route! Wink Indeed, I'd personally have every prospective new coach sign those promisory notes. Ireland are hitting way above their weight in this clash, ruck'n'roll game they play now...and I'm not saying aspects of it doesn't have its place. But I do want a change in focus away from defence and containment to one of attack and invention. I don't care who the coach really is, it's the game he wants us to play I'll be interested in.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Wed 07 Mar 2012, 12:04 pm

i agree with you biltong. sth africa played great stuff under mallet.

trying to get italy to get italy playing that game simply was not feasible due to the skill levels of players and lack of half backs.

he could certainly get the blend right for ireland and we could do far worse should declan not see out the year

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 12:14 pm

Team announcement today. Someone be a dear and make a new thread?
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Mar 2012, 12:15 pm

Dave, Ireland certainly has the players, if Mallet signs Fly's contract you will be enroute to possibly get 4th spot on the rankings. Whistle

Get, what I did there?

did ya? Wink

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 12:23 pm

We were 3rd with O'Sullivan. I liked the climate up there... I like altitude Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 07 Mar 2012, 12:25 pm

I like your style, why can't the Irish not get to third position?

Maybe we should start a thread.

"Can Ireland reach third on the IRB rankings?"

Sounds like a topic that can really take off, eh?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 07 Mar 2012, 12:44 pm

It's obvious. Joe Schmidt & the entire Leinster coaching team should be coaching Ireland..
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 12:46 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:It's obvious. Joe Schmidt & the entire Leinster coaching team should be coaching Ireland..

Now wouldn't that be a tasty number Smile I hope DOD isn't listening...he'll be getting onto me again about my continuing mental problems.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 1:01 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:It's obvious. Joe Schmidt & the entire Leinster coaching team should be coaching Ireland..

Now you have to make a thread saying that this has been agreed. Sit back and watch Gibbo implode Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 1:02 pm

SecretFly wrote:

Now wouldn't that be a tasty number Smile I hope DOD isn't listening...he'll be getting onto me again about my continuing mental problems.

I thought that he was bad with me calling me sound byte. I am happy that i dont have your mental issues now Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next