The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales.

+11
wonder_man
miteyironpaw
WELL-PAST-IT
RubyGuby
thebluesmancometh
dogtooth
doctornickolas
Taffineastbourne
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Glas a du
Biltong
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wales. Empty Wales.

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Mar 2012, 6:59 am

The six Nations have now completed 3 rounds of matches and I thought it might be interesting if I gave a neutral’s perspective from what I have seen so far and my opinion on each of the teams.

Wales.

They are clearly the better team currently in the Six Nations, they have won their away matches vs England and Ireland, and also beat Scotland at home. You may want to argue some of those matches the decisions went their way, but you can’t argue that continuously if they keep on winning.
They have a solid tight five and a decent back row, the back row does play on the edge of the law, but to be honest as long as the laws are what they are and they can “read” the referee interpretations better than the opposition you can’t blame them, you should lay the blame at the feet of the IRB.

Without any doubt Cuthbert has brought an extra dimension to their back play, where you won’t just have Roberts and North coming at your defensive line with pace and power, but you also have Cuthbert who unlike Shane Williams can bash it up amongst the best of the strike runners out there. Add to that Halfpenny and Davies who both are extremely agile players and you have to start comparing their back line with that of Australia.

Areas they can improve on are firstly the line out, no team will be able to dominate the attack in the opponent half if they cannot use their lineout as a reliable attacking weapon. You may find that Wales will throw ball to the front of the line out as the long ball becomes too risky, hence they rarely get quick ball from the back of the line out which is your best attacking play from a line out. They will employ mauls or get the ball to Phillips as soon as possible.

Priestland hasn’t impressed me a whole lot. His tactical kicking is error ridden and his goal kicking not very consistent either. He does get his back line away, but then again how much of that is due to the pure class in the Welsh back line?

Phillips has a tendency to make wrong decisions and a couple of times during the Six Nations he would take a quick tap in a favourable position on the pitch, where it might have been prudent to kick at goal. Although he is rather dangerous around the fringe, he can also be quite slow at getting ball to the back line.

One thing Wales have not yet been able to do in the six Nations is to dominate matches, hence my suggestion that they should rather take the points on offer, even if momentum is going their way.

I have a firm belief that you first control the match and scoreboard and then you can take quick taps etc.

I am not one for hyping a team up or even thinking about the future of how great they could become, that is purely conjecture and based on subjective debate.

Forget about how great they could become, accept the fact that there are some issues that can still improve and that so far they have shown to be top of the pile in the six Nations.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Wales. Empty Re: Wales.

Post by Glas a du Mon 05 Mar 2012, 7:30 am

The Italian game is a litmus test. They need to win that one well to keep the momentum going.

Priestland is over hyped. He has been found out. You can't have an outside half who's only any good when inspired one game out of three and abject for the other two.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 05 Mar 2012, 8:30 am

Glas a du wrote:The Italian game is a litmus test. They need to win that one well to keep the momentum going.

Priestland is over hyped. He has been found out. You can't have an outside half who's only any good when inspired one game out of three and abject for the other two.

Didnt Wales win a grandslam with Hook?

Joking aside if they ditch Preistland where do you go? Back to Wellies? Back to Hook? Back to Biggar? Obviously not Henson... Lewis Robling? Oh wait theres always Shingler...
Im amazed by just how much the Welsh public have turned on him form one performance that still wasnt that bad. What happened to picking young players and sticking by them? He may not quite be the messiah some had him down as but honestly does the Welsh public hate him that much now?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Mar 2012, 8:52 am

The Welsh public dont hate him, just a few posters on here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 05 Mar 2012, 8:54 am

I don't hate the guy, come on. But those posters are not saying "blydi hell I never expected him to be that bad" they are saying "see! Told you so! Don't listen to the hype"

I've seen him for the Scarlets and the Twickenham performance was coming and what's more could easily be repeated.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 05 Mar 2012, 9:12 am

Clearly with our best hooker and best jumper out injured there is scope to improve our lineout.
I cant wait for us to put our full-strength side out again.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Mon 05 Mar 2012, 9:40 am

I agree Taffineastbourne

It would be nice to see Matthew Rees in at hooker as he is our best No2 when fit and adds a lot to the scrummaging as well.

Also if Charteris was match fit I would like to see a second row pairing of him and Ian Evans. second rows who stand at 6'8" and 6'9" and the best part 40 stone between them would enhance our forward pack no end.

I believe we would definitely secure our own lineout easily and also be a serious scrum threat.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Mar 2012, 9:50 am

Anyone notice the similarities between this campaign and the 2008 Grand Slam, apart from the obvious home and away fixtures? As opposed to the 2005 Grand Slam where we played 'champagne rugby' with lots of offloading, clean breaks, etc., (apart from the awfully tight and stodgy game against England to open the tournament), the 2008 one was characterised by the dogged stuff. In 2008 we snatched victory from the jaws of defeat at Twickenham (similarly it was very close and nearly a draw this time, easily could have lost too), we toughed out a win in Ireland after having Mike Phillips in the bin (see this year and the comeback after losing a player to the bin). Scotland at the MS in 2008 was a tough battle with the score still 17-15 after 60 minutes but we managed to pull away (this year was very close until a few manic minutes after half time). We comfortably beat Italy at the MS in 2008 (I'm predicting a closer game but still a convincing win for Wales), and then in 2008 we had France at the MS in the Grand Slam decider, as we could have this year. Not sure how to call that one if we're in for a GS. I think it all depends on whether France are still in with a shout of winning the whole thing come the final game.

My point is that, unlilke 2005 where, after the England win and the confidence it gave us, we played the best rugby I've seen from a Wales team in my lifetime, in 2008 and the current campaign we seem to be winning by not playing our best rugby. We've winning the arm wrestle but not winning games too convincingly. Our backs got some good tries against Ireland and Scotland, but it's been more of a bludgeon approach than the rapier style of 2005 and even in the World Cup where the backs were able to manufacture many more gaps and clean breaks. Maybe the defenses are much better in the 6N, but while I'm impressed that we've won all our games so far I don't think we've been playing our best rugby, or been allowed to play it (credit to the opposition there).

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Mon 05 Mar 2012, 10:59 am

griff, we had to play that way in 05. it was a back line of mostly small men; shane, peel, kevin morgan, rhys williams. they had to offload and hope someone was running on to the ball because we would have been turned over every phase if not.

it was a great slam, not just because of the running but because it came from no where. no one saw it coming.

the current crop are all big men. they do have great skill but they are not afraid of the breakdown because they are much harder to rob the ball off, (a strong, mobile and skillfull back row helps a lot). i think this is why we are seeing a more direct approach and less of the sything runs.

05 was exciting but i think the current wales squad is much more formibable and are playing better rugby. we are winning tight matches, and the fact it is such a close championship, with every match a close one, suggests that wales 2012 is an even better side that 2005.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Mon 05 Mar 2012, 11:01 am

biltong

nice set of articles btw.

thumbsup
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Mar 2012, 11:13 am

Cheers dogtooth. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 05 Mar 2012, 11:28 am

Not a bad article but I have a few small issues with it...

Firstly to attribute all our attacking play with the introduction of Cuthbert... Really? I thought we looked a lot better at the WC without him, especially against SA, allbeit a poor SA side as their run showed.

I do agree Cuthbert has offered an element of balance, as either side of the feild there is a narrow (Roberts) and wide (North/Cuthbert) carrying option, and with Preistand and Davies 2 very clever pivots for them, not to mention the inside option when on the blind.

Lets be honest, the lineout in Wales has struggled in forever, and will continue to do so, but at this very minute we are missing our first choice hooker in Rees, then 2nd choice Bennet, and are without Charteris, not to mention the guy who took control of the lineout V Ireland and single handedly saved it, Davies! So the lineout will improve when all personnell return, and infact it's difficult to run a succesfull lineout when personnell keep changing regularly, the SA lineout of 4 years ago was the best ever in my opinion and that came from 2 solid seasons of Smit, Matfeild, Botha etc being consistent.

Wales are struggling to put teams away, but not sure more potshots at goal from 50m plus is the right call. I would much rather see us play into the corner, and trust the lineout more. Put the real pressure on!

Then theres Phillips, you are right he makes poor decisions, and he is a threat around the fringes, like a flanker should be, but his tap and goes are really nopt the problem, infact I wish he was quicker and woul go more. Especially as todays defences are so difficult to turn around, every chance you get to put them on there heels you have to take, well at the right time obviously.

There is no bad feeling toward Preistland in Wales, this board represents no clear thinking or rational really in any nation.

It's widely regarded that Preistland struggled, and is not the finished article by a long shot. I would argue he is not the best 10 in Wales, but he is our best option for this tourny. He offers a running threat that we havn't had in Wales for a long time, Jones running threat was a bosh into contact, Hook was a solo effort that had no chance of being supported, what Preistland does is bring others into the game, and combines this threat with that, see the Davies try V Ireland. Phillips box kicking is good enough to cover Preistland out of hand (for now) and 1/2 provides another boot, as well as Davies's left boot, and 1/2p at goal is superb so Preistland has to keep his place and perform against Italy, nothing else.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Mar 2012, 11:36 am

Not a bad article but I have a few small issues with it...

Firstly to attribute all our attacking play with the introduction of Cuthbert... Really? I thought we looked a lot better at the WC without him, especially against SA, allbeit a poor SA side as their run showed.

I didn't attribute your back line play to him, I said he added to it.

Lets be honest, the lineout in Wales has struggled in forever, and will continue to do so, but at this very minute we are missing our first choice hooker in Rees, then 2nd choice Bennet, and are without Charteris, not to mention the guy who took control of the lineout V Ireland and single handedly saved it, Davies! So the lineout will improve when all personnell return.

That's good then it won't be so much of a problem, but by the same token you admt it will continue to struggle.

Wales are struggling to put teams away, but not sure more potshots at goal from 50m plus is the right call. I would much rather see us play into the corner, and trust the lineout more. Put the real pressure on!

I am not talking about 50 meter kicks at goal.

There is no bad feeling toward Preistland in Wales, this board represents no clear thinking or rational really in any nation.

Not really with you on that one.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 05 Mar 2012, 11:43 am

I didn't attribute your back line play to him, I said he added to it.

You did state he added another dimension, which he doesn't, a little balance maybe but he is no Shane.

The lineout will continue to struggle, as long as Wales play in red the lineout will be decent at best.

Our goal kicking has been long and short, infact nearly every penalty in the opposition half is given to 1/2p to shoot at goal, Wales couldn't shoot at goal more it is not possible! See Irish scrum collapsing on the 5m line and Wales taking the 3!!!

Therefore the Welsh mentality of taking all points possible is part of the reason we struggle to put teams away!

That last comment wasn't for you mate, someone said Wales hate Preistland!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Mar 2012, 11:44 am

thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 05 Mar 2012, 11:46 am

Thank you for stating the obvious Bilton in your original post above. I think most of us are aware of our weaknesses - We have started each game with a non first choice hooker and both our first choice 2nd rows have been missing - The line out is an area of some concern but it was fine in the RWC and I think its an area we can improve without much difficulty. We have absorbed our injuries very well, I think we had 6 missing against Ireland for example. I think people are being harsh on Priestland, he has had a poor 6 Nations thus far and he would be the first to agree with that - I think he will regain his composure in time and it's strange how his kicking from hand has been poor, yet when Farrell kicked it stright to 1/2 p whilst attacking on our 22 people continue to eulogise. Priestland will get his game back and in Hook we have someone who can play well with a good platform which we now have. Phillips is a beast but needs to play the percentages a little bit more. Jamie Robert's position is under threat from 2 more creative and powerful players in Scott W and Beck - With Stoddard to come back we are looking strong and have some depth in most if not all areas - What we need to do now is:

1 - Totally disrespect Italy and go out there and give a powerful full on controlled 80 minutes and win by 40 plus

2 - France - same control and shatter their fragile psyche - I'll still take a 1 point victory though thumbsup

We are at a stage where if Wales win a Triple Crown and the Championship at the end of the season but fail to win the Slam then it will be seen as a failure - Surely that's a sign of progress in any ones books Wink

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 05 Mar 2012, 11:46 am

Biltong,

As usual I used eexagerattion to make my point...but there is a lot of negativity toward Preistland following the England game. As poinetd out by others, the extent of that ill feeling vaires between various posters...but its pretty clear his honeymoon is over with many Wales fans.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 05 Mar 2012, 11:53 am

Peter

You are basing your opinion on the Welsh people of this board aren't you? That pretty much says it all, most posters struggle with an unbiased and realistic view on their, or everyone elses teams.

Preistland struggled against England, and hasn't had the impact he first had when on the scene but in reality who hasn't? All players who make an imediate impact tend to get worked out by the laptops, and have to develop beyond their initial abilities that got them there.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 05 Mar 2012, 11:56 am

"2 - France - same control and shatter their fragile psyche - I'll still take a 1 point victory though "

Ireland have already done that for you
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 05 Mar 2012, 11:57 am

Quite bluesman, which is why I was defending him against some of the vitriol (whilst pointing out the over the top reactions to his early performances).
Its only a few months since a good chunk of the fans were flip flopping between blaming Hook and Jones for Wales' exit form the world cup, and bemoaning his injury.

And still the question is, if not him then who? Only players whove been moaned about more.

Im not singling the Welsh out for this, it happens to all kinds of players.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 05 Mar 2012, 11:58 am

Done what?

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:01 pm

biltongbek wrote:You may want to argue some of those matches the decisions went their way, but you can’t argue that continuously if they keep on winning...

You can keep arguing that as long as decisions keep going their way. How different would the complexion of the 6N be if Ferris wasn't issued a card, there was no penalty and Davis had been red carded and Ireland had won? How different would it have been if Hogg's try had been rightfully awarded and Scotland had drawn with Wales? What if North was sent off for deliberating punching the ball into touch and England awarded a penalty try?

Wales would be winless having played exactly the game rugby. Personally, I think the results are flattering the rugby. Wales have a decent set piece and a competent back line providing both a solid defensive rush defense and a cohesive phase based attacking game. But I can't help but think it's rugby by numbers. It reminds me a little of Eddie Jones' Wallabies with a scrum, but lacking the individual brilliance. I feel that Wales are all bash and dash and little in the way of subtlety. It's now been shown by Ireland (until they ran out of steam) and England (until the bench arrived) that if you tighten up the defense and prevent them reaching the gain line with their big runners they have no plan B. If the defensive line is kept honest (and let's be honest they were off-side for 80 minutes against both Scotland and Ireland) by a good ref and an accurate kicking game, then their defense can be penetrated, even by Scotland. Undeniably the weakness is in the lineout and defensively around the fringes and 9/10 channel where they will be tested aggressively in the France game, but also by Italy to a lesser extent. As England showed with only limited competence in the tackle ball zone and some sort of bizarre allergy to counter-rucking, if you put pressure on the Welsh pivots you can shut down their entire game plan. I think we'll see some interesting results in the next few weeks.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:04 pm

Have to agree Peter!!

And the vitriol toward Hook drives me nuts!

I still think given the opportunity from an early age Hook would be up there with Carter by now, but the issues with his position at the O's, then carted around with Wales meant he hadn't played 10 for years, then to be thrown into the knockout phases at the WC? Is that fair? What an absolute shock!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:07 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:

I think we'll see some interesting results in the next few weeks.

I want to see wales lose in the next few weeks.

fixed it for you, mip

Last edited by dogtooth on Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:07 pm

Mitey

You mention al those if's and but's but fail to mention the Scottish try being awarded against England, and the Italians getting a few decisions in their favour...

Therefore England and Wales would be winnless together at the bottom of the table, Wales ahead on points difference with Italy and France to play, whereas England would have France and Ireland... Wooden spoon!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:13 pm

But England the moral victors as they beat Wales

Again Ill mention that Lancasters reputation has been built on the luck of having the two easiest fixtures first and getting the rub of the green in both those games.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:16 pm

I think thats unfair on Lancaster, I quite like him and if he's given a chance will turn England into a world force again, or at least develop the squad capable of it, maybe a more progressive thinking guy needs to be brought in to aid him.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:18 pm

Blues,

I guess the point Im trying to make is that he wouldnt have had the chance to get theings rolling with the momentum he has if Ebngkland had started with a heavy defeat ( which they wouldve with Wales Fracne or Ireland up first ) and then gone 3-0 even if there were signs of improvement along the way.
The perception would be that he was a disatser and out of his depth instead hes being heralded as a genius.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:21 pm

Rolling Eyes No, feel free, ignore or the good stuff I said about Wales, focus on the one slight criticism and respond as though I'd physically violated your grandmother whilst pouring sugar into your petrol tank.

How can you be certain England would have been beaten first up by any of those teams? Everyone was rusty in week one. It could have been a great chance to scalp world #1 wales at home (as Australia did).

Last edited by miteyironpaw on Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:21 pm

Obviously not quite the entire game plan - Wales still in 2nd gear - keep hoping and wishing Mighty but we haven't really played for 80 minutes yet and we went to Dublin with 6 players out and won. Your chumps in waiting know from last years experience how difficult it is to win there.

I just love the reluctance of people to accept how good this welsh team is. It speaks so much thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:23 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Obviously not quite the entire game plan - Wales still in 2nd gear - keep hoping and wishing Mighty but we haven't really played for 80 minutes yet and we went to Dublin with 6 players out and won. Your chumps in waiting know from last years experience how difficult it is to win there.

I just love the reluctance of people to accept how good this welsh team is. It speaks so much thumbsup

Ruby, as soon as you win something (rather than say, come fourth) I'll be there to congratulate you. Although I'm not sure you'll hear me over the sound of your own crowing and bleating.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by wonder_man Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:28 pm

Priestland is fresh back from injury and IMO shouldn't have been brought straight back into the team

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:32 pm

I agree Peter, but genius I am not so sure, what he is is exactly what England need, some common sense, some honesty and maybe a heavier hand.

Someone to tell the 'superstars' of the last campaign how good they really are, that a win at Murrayfeild is not easy at all and that they are going to have to scrap for every yard, which they did. That despite Italy being just a banana skin they will have to match the Italian pack for 80, which they did. That Wales may not have a WC but they will have to defend ferociously for a full 80 which they did.

I think England have done about as much as they could so far, and in their current state of restructure.

I know it sounds like I'm being harsh on the English, and that they don't all beleive their own hype, but the players brought in I think are lesser quality at present but harder working.

The likes of Botha, Robshaw, Dickson, Barritt and Strettle are hardly world beaters, but they give their all for every second they are on the pitch.

For me thats what Lancaster has brought!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:50 pm

Ruby, as soon as you win something (rather than say, come fourth) I'll be there to congratulate you. Although I'm not sure you'll hear me over the sound of your own crowing and bleating.

How about the Triple Crown to start with then, not as easy as you think these days as you boys know from last year thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:04 pm

Triple Crown is an irrelevant trinket.

You beat Ireland by dodgy refereeing decision, and a scratch England team also with the help of a questionable refereeing decision and Scotland, perennial wooden spooners whilst conceding two tries to them!

But you know, congratualtions! I'm sure you're on course for a series white wash of Australia and to dethrone the All Blacks next time out.

miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:05 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:Triple Crown is an irrelevant trinket.

Takes on to know one.

Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:17 pm

You beat Ireland by dodgy refereeing decision, and a scratch England team also with the help of a questionable refereeing decision and Scotland, perennial wooden spooners whilst conceding two tries to them!

But you know, congratualtions! I'm sure you're on course for a series white wash of Australia and to dethrone the All Blacks next time out.

Dont worry we have all the IRB referees in our pocket, Wales will surely be #1 by next year.

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:25 pm

Its getting better all the time or is that bitter Yahoo

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Mar 2012, 1:41 pm

On a lighter note, the Six Nations have more trophies than any other tournament in world sport.

bragging rights ontop of the actual trophy - grandslam
Actual trophy - winners of the six nations
anorre trophy - Triple Crown.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 05 Mar 2012, 2:05 pm

Triple crown is a nonsense trophy. It's simply a carry over from the days of the home nations tournament.

It'd be like SA, NZ and Aus gloating over winning "the tri-nations" this year because one of them beat the other two but lost to Argentina.

Move on, get over it, the actual trophy has only been around recently. Nothing more than a sponsor's gimick and to throw some crumbs to the celtic nations who historically had little hope of actually winning the tournament.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Mar 2012, 2:11 pm

RubyGuby wrote:

Its getting better all the time or is that bitter Yahoo

Mitey is pretty adamant in his cause to prove Wales are useless at rugby. Still haven't read anything worth considering in his previous posts, basically all about lucky wins refereeing decisions.

I like objectivity but have a disdain for repetitiveness...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Mar 2012, 2:18 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:Triple crown is a nonsense trophy. It's simply a carry over from the days of the home nations tournament.

It'd be like SA, NZ and Aus gloating over winning "the tri-nations" this year because one of them beat the other two but lost to Argentina.

Move on, get over it, the actual trophy has only been around recently. Nothing more than a sponsor's gimick and to throw some crumbs to the celtic nations who historically had little hope of actually winning the tournament.

Like the Calcutta Cup???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 05 Mar 2012, 2:20 pm

I can understand the unbridled excitement in Wales, I really can. After almost four decades as whipping boys, they've assembled a half decent team who, on a good day, with a tail wind and a couple of lucky calls can eek out a win from the albeit completely green new look England, and over Ireland (a team who in lieu of actually competing globally they've been in a kind of lightweight rivalry with quietly while the rest of the world was more concerned with top end rugby). .

You just have to forgive us for our lack of reciprocal enthusiasm for the cause, having been on the truely global stage recently, even if we're off pace at the moment, we still remember the dazzling lights at the top, the roar of the crowd, the smell of the turf on the big stage. When this Wales team have been around a bit longer, if they hold together and can manage to get some experience behind them, maybe complete that grandslam in this years soft 6N, or at least win the tournament then put in a few encouraging displays against Australia (I don't think anyone seriously anticipates a series win - but then, an almost-win seems to be enough at the moment), I can see the anxiety amongst the Welsh fans turning into rational ambition. At that stage I'm sure this childish excitement will mature into something more palatable to the supporters of the perennial top contenders.

As Woody Allen said "Better nouveau riche, than no riche at all", so provided new-money Wales don't squander their handy savings in credibility, I suspect perspective will come with time.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 05 Mar 2012, 2:22 pm

You just have to forgive us for our lack of reciprocal enthusiasm for the cause,

Do we? Can't we ignore you, or at least be ambivalent to you instead?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Mar 2012, 2:25 pm

Glas a du wrote:
You just have to forgive us for our lack of reciprocal enthusiasm for the cause,

Do we? Can't we ignore you, or at least be ambivalent to you instead?

Agree Glas...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 05 Mar 2012, 2:26 pm

Mighty - 4 decades - have you erased the recent Grand Slams of 2005 and 2008 from memory, we may have even had the triple crowns as well in those years - You are making an absolute fool of yourself here and are in danger of being 1 rung above 3 world cups. Why are you so bitter and resentful of this developing welsh team. It is a bit surprising as sometimes your posts are ok, but this continual drivel is of the Nottins variety and you are just making a laughing stock of yourself - why? thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Mon 05 Mar 2012, 2:46 pm

2008, as I've said was another post RWC rebuilding year, so not a result to be afforded too much credibility.

2005 - well done for briefly being the best team in the NH thumbsup However remind me how the 2007 RWC went for you? I'm thinking blip.

Fools are made by history. We shall see how things pan out. If England win this weekend, we will propel back ahead of Wales in the official rankings, incidentally. Should be interesting. Not bad for such a green team written off by almost everyone thumbsup
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 05 Mar 2012, 2:58 pm

Ireland play in green.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 05 Mar 2012, 3:06 pm

miteyironpaw wrote:

You can keep arguing that as long as decisions keep going their way. How different would the complexion of the 6N be if Ferris wasn't issued a card, there was no penalty and Davis had been red carded and Ireland had won? How different would it have been if Hogg's try had been rightfully awarded and Scotland had drawn with Wales? What if North was sent off for deliberating punching the ball into touch and England awarded a penalty try?

Wales would be winless having played exactly the game rugby. Personally, I think the results are flattering the rugby. Wales have a decent set piece and a competent back line providing both a solid defensive rush defense and a cohesive phase based attacking game. But I can't help but think it's rugby by numbers. It reminds me a little of Eddie Jones' Wallabies with a scrum, but lacking the individual brilliance. I feel that Wales are all bash and dash and little in the way of subtlety. It's now been shown by Ireland (until they ran out of steam) and England (until the bench arrived) that if you tighten up the defense and prevent them reaching the gain line with their big runners they have no plan B. If the defensive line is kept honest (and let's be honest they were off-side for 80 minutes against both Scotland and Ireland) by a good ref and an accurate kicking game, then their defense can be penetrated, even by Scotland. Undeniably the weakness is in the lineout and defensively around the fringes and 9/10 channel where they will be tested aggressively in the France game, but also by Italy to a lesser extent. As England showed with only limited competence in the tackle ball zone and some sort of bizarre allergy to counter-rucking, if you put pressure on the Welsh pivots you can shut down their entire game plan. I think we'll see some interesting results in the next few weeks.

Mitey, Im going to try and answer this without resorting to assuming you are anything other than a genuine poster....

You could say that referees are perhaps giving Wales the benefit of the doubt, but ask yourself why this may be? Im not suggesting this is the actual case, to be clear, but rather than lower your argument (which does and can contain strong points) to ifs/buts? Perhaps referees are giving them the benefit of the doubt as they have become a team that plays in a postive way, using the ball rather than getting rid of it, they are renowned to have a very good (and still improving) backrow and front row. Also, they actually listen to what the referee tells them during the game, this is always going to put them in the ref's goodbooks. The more experienced players have an ability to talk to the referees well, and dont over-do it, Warbs seems to have a very good rapour with many of the referees at international level, and any of those that saw/heard his reaction to his red card at the world cup will only have respect for him.

Of course, this could just be looking for excuses, I think Wales have certainly had the rub of the decisions so far this year, but ever heard the saying you make your own luck? How many times in the past have key decisions gone against wales? Also, who's to say what would have happened after each of those decisions had the penalty/try been awarded the other way? No-one, is the answer. Its the same for every side, swings and roundabouts.

Yes, they're attack is built on simple principles, as is their defence, and like any original mould, this can be broken and bent by the oppositions tactics and general intensity of play. As for lackign individual brilliance, your argument falls down there. North vs Ireland? Priestlands offload around the back for JD2s try? Those are just the 1st 2 instances from this 6nations alone that pop into my head.....

Disrupting a sides backline rhythym starts by attacking their 9/10 axis in attack and defence, thats pretty straight forward.

Priestlands a young player, and had his worst game for Wales in a pressured enviroment in a must-win game at a place Wales have won once in 24 years. Yet, Wales won the game with Gatland sticking by Priestland the whole game for him to learn what that pressure means and how to cope with it. He'll be better off for the experience, I've yet to see anyone claim him the next Dan Carter, he's a young player learning the role and he fits in well with what Wales do.

You go from what could be good arguments and stray into comments i would expect from someone who'd never played/watched the game in great detail. Even trying to answer these in pure rugby terms, its hard to see these as more than biased views meant to upset/belittle a teams acheivements. sorry Hug

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 05 Mar 2012, 3:12 pm

also, just a point in your favour, i have seen very good rugby arguments/talk regarding England/Scotland on other threads from you, so you obviously know your rugby and have the ability to see another point of view, which is why i find it hard to take some of your comments seriously regarding wales. Erm

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next