The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland.

+17
The Great Aukster
dummy_half
Rory_Gallagher
profitius
JmD
thebluesmancometh
brennomac
RuggerRadge2611
Feckless Rogue
SecretFly
Rava
RubyGuby
marty2086
whocares
rodders
clivemcl
Biltong
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ireland. - Page 2 Empty Ireland.

Post by Biltong Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

The six Nations have now completed 3 rounds of matches and I thought it might be interesting if I gave a neutral’s perspective from what I have seen so far and my opinion on each of the teams.

Ireland.

I have been reading a lot of comments regarding Declan Kidney and the fact that many are questioning his ability to take Ireland forward. In my personal opinion Ireland should be the team to dominate European rugby, the reason is very simple. They have been the most successful in the HC cup during the last few years, and you would expect that form to shine through at the international stage.

Surely three successful and/or competitive regional teams must provide enough depth to advance?

Kearney in my view is the best exponent of a high ball in world rugby at the moment, Murray and Sexton is a decent combination at the half back paring, but I really would like to see those seemingly pointless kicks reduce. Sexton had a number of tactical blunders with the boot against France, but I don’t think that is something that cannot be fixed.

But I am stumped as to why the Irish midfield does not have the ability to penetrate the defensive lines. During the Wales match they did seem to make ground up the middle and struggled with pace out wide, but during the French match it was the opposite, their midfield struggled but out wide Bowe had enough space to create some magic.

Ireland has a good pack and it seems their combination in the back row is a decent one, P O'connol is having a very good six nations. So the problem must be at the back.

In my opinion Declan isn’t that bad, you can’t blame him for the decision and tactical errors the players make on the field, but you can certainly blame him for not finding a solution in midfield.

I think Ireland’s problem is really just sorting out that one issue, and they might just get where they should, the top of the European pile.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Ireland. - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland.

Post by The Great Aukster Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:24 am

Marty - I agree that TOL was very poor pre-RWC, but he was just coming back from injury and that lack of form was compounded by Kidney asking him to play a different way. O'Leary's greatest asset was his instinctive break from the base but that was too uncontrolled for DK. It seems to me that Kidney is looking for a scrummie who can hold the opposition backrow by 1. having the ability to break, 2. threatening to break often but 3. only making a break when he won't be isolated. In short a measured scrum half rather than an instinctive one.

TOL has been playing better in the PRO12, and Kidney is probably more comfortable telling him what to do than someone new. The question is whether TOL (or anyone) can give DK what he wants.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:59 am

biltongbek wrote:
roddersm wrote:Biltong you make some good points however I think you are underestimating Irelands problems.

We've been repeating the same mistakes since 2010 and there has been no sign of any progress or developing an effective gameplan under Kidney.

Kidney has a fetish for big, physical scrum halves with a slow delivery and has totally stifled the teams attacking potential. Apart from the 'choke tackle' there has been no innovation in this Irish side since he took charge.

For the 3rd season running we have not even been competitive in the 6N. Three weeks in and no chance of winning anything, not even the triple crown.

Battered by Wales at home and surrendering a 11 point lead against France is just not acceptable. Its not just the results but the manner of them. Conservative selections and negative play... it just keeps getting worse. A 50% winning record and the Aviva doesn't hold any fear for visiting sides any more.

I honestly have never felt so depressed about the national side. Its like the 90's over again but worse. At least then we had poor players.

Rodders i accept that I don't know enough about the next players good enough to make the side, this is the first Six Nations where I have watched all the matches, so it is completely from an outsider's perspective.

I do love a man with an opinion who confesses this opinion is based on no knowledge or information yet still obviously thinks it worth sharing. Hats off to you mate

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishhoneymonster Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:19 am

dragonbreath wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
roddersm wrote:Biltong you make some good points however I think you are underestimating Irelands problems.

We've been repeating the same mistakes since 2010 and there has been no sign of any progress or developing an effective gameplan under Kidney.

Kidney has a fetish for big, physical scrum halves with a slow delivery and has totally stifled the teams attacking potential. Apart from the 'choke tackle' there has been no innovation in this Irish side since he took charge.

For the 3rd season running we have not even been competitive in the 6N. Three weeks in and no chance of winning anything, not even the triple crown.

Battered by Wales at home and surrendering a 11 point lead against France is just not acceptable. Its not just the results but the manner of them. Conservative selections and negative play... it just keeps getting worse. A 50% winning record and the Aviva doesn't hold any fear for visiting sides any more.

I honestly have never felt so depressed about the national side. Its like the 90's over again but worse. At least then we had poor players.

Rodders i accept that I don't know enough about the next players good enough to make the side, this is the first Six Nations where I have watched all the matches, so it is completely from an outsider's perspective.

I do love a man with an opinion who confesses this opinion is based on no knowledge or information yet still obviously thinks it worth sharing. Hats off to you mate

Dragonbreath I am personally interested in what posters from other nations have to say regardless of their knowledge. I don't post here often but I read pretty much every day and Biltong is a good poster and I am glad that he is taking an interest in this years Six Nations. So yes indeed, hats off to him!

And for what it's worth, alot of his opinions on Irish Rugby are not far off the mark and I am always interested in a fresh perspective, I'd be interested to know how much you know about SA Rugby. And please don't come back with " Oh but I haven't given an opinion without knowledge" because that won't wash with me. Like I say I am happy that fans of other nations are taking an interest, and all the better if those are fans from the SH!

By the way "not far off the mark" means good oul Biltong is not without knowledge even though you, and even he (perhaps being humble in some respects), are claiming that! And just to be clear, I realise he was claiming a lack of knowledge with regards to future Irish prospects and that may well be the case, but he can see what he sees as far the current internationals go!

God I always go on and on trying to make sure things I say are not misconstrued. Almost like I feel like I have to cause of the way some posters are on here come the frenzy of the Six Nations. Just wish I didn't have to explain myself so much, or feel like I have to at least!

Irishhoneymonster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:50 am

dragonbreath wrote:

What a great way to make your first post on a new forum. Insult a moderator. Shocked

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:54 am

Irishhoneymonster wrote:
dragonbreath wrote:
biltongbek wrote:

Dragonbreath I am personally interested in what posters from other nations have to say regardless of their knowledge. I don't post here often but I read pretty much every day and Biltong is a good poster and I am glad that he is taking an interest in this years Six Nations. So yes indeed, hats off to him!

And for what it's worth, alot of his opinions on Irish Rugby are not far off the mark and I am always interested in a fresh perspective, I'd be interested to know how much you know about SA Rugby. And please don't come back with " Oh but I haven't given an opinion without knowledge" because that won't wash with me. Like I say I am happy that fans of other nations are taking an interest, and all the better if those are fans from the SH!

By the way "not far off the mark" means good oul Biltong is not without knowledge even though you, and even he (perhaps being humble in some respects), are claiming that! And just to be clear, I realise he was claiming a lack of knowledge with regards to future Irish prospects and that may well be the case, but he can see what he sees as far the current internationals go!

God I always go on and on trying to make sure things I say are not misconstrued. Almost like I feel like I have to cause of the way some posters are on here come the frenzy of the Six Nations. Just wish I didn't have to explain myself so much, or feel like I have to at least!

Take a chill pill Irish I was only kidding. However if you are a fan of off the top of your head opinion my 7 year old has a plan to solve the situation in Syria

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishhoneymonster Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:56 am

Laugh Rory I almost mentioned in my post that I haven't seen oul Dragonbreath around much but then was worried that somehow I'd missed this orcale of oracles. Didn't realise I could see how many posts someone has made by looking to the right! But yes you are right, what a ridiculous and arrogant first post!

Irishhoneymonster

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishhoneymonster Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:03 am

Dragonbreath I would actually be interested in your 7yr olds plan because I bet it is better than anything any great "head" has come up with. You see, children may be very simple when opinions on these things come forth but that is a good thing because they know what's right and wrong. Adults, especially those invovled, lose all sense of the really important things.

But either way I stand by my original points. Perhaps you should offer an opinion before belittling others and tell us as well the experience where your great knowledge comes from!

Irishhoneymonster

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishhoneymonster Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:16 am

And by the way Rory, your namesake is an absolute legend as I'm sure you know, here's one of my favs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uezV4zn8tvI

Irishhoneymonster

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:20 am

Welcome dragonbreath... that was a pretty funny actually but biltong is a highly respected poster (and moderator Hug). Best not rub people up the wrong way so soon ..... Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:57 am

I can see him and Chunky getting on very well Wink
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:33 am

Irishhoneymonster wrote:And by the way Rory, your namesake is an absolute legend as I'm sure you know, here's one of my favs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uezV4zn8tvI

He is the man like! And yeah my real name isn't Rory, I just like to pretend I'm cool Wink

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:04 am

Laugh

I like that guy. First post- insult a mod. Here's to a long and productive posting career Smile Ale

P.S. It would be very dull if only Irish people were allowed to talk about Ireland, Welsh about Wales etc.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:31 pm

roddersm wrote:Welcome dragonbreath... that was a pretty funny actually but biltong is a Poesklap (and moderator Hug). Best not rub people up the wrong way so soon ..... Wink

Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:53 pm

dragonbreath wrote:I do love a man with an opinion who confesses this opinion is based on no knowledge or information yet still obviously thinks it worth sharing. Hats off to you mate

Dragonbreath, a word of advice. Comedy is welcome on the rugby forum, many threads do turn quite heated at times and some off the cuff entertainment is often the best way to diffuse a tense situation. When you are trying to be funny (even when you fail) it helps to put a little smiley emoticon to show your intent as the tone of one's posts are not always clear.

As to my response, As Rodders explained there are more problems in Irish rugby than I have assessed, and the fact is I do not know the depth of their nation's players, hence it is impossible for me to say who would be good enough to replace current members in the squad. however my analysis or report of Ireland's performances so far, does not need knowledge of Irish rugby, but yet a keen eye for observation will tell you enough to see how a team is performing or what areas of development you see. thumbsup

Last edited by biltongbek on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:55 pm

Notch wrote: Laugh

I like that guy. First post- insult a mod. Here's to a long and productive posting career Smile Ale

P.S. It would be very dull if only Irish people were allowed to talk about Ireland, Welsh about Wales etc.

I suppose I must rather come onto the forum and reply on every thread that has nothing to do with SA rugby "I have no informed opinion on the subject" Laugh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:26 pm

biltongbek wrote:
Notch wrote: Laugh

I suppose I must rather come onto the forum and reply on every thread that has nothing to do with SA rugby "I have no informed opinion on the subject" Laugh

Sure, just look some stats up and you will be grand Wink Run
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:37 pm

Well some believe stats aren't informative. Doh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:39 pm

Well, i wont bring stats up again Sorry
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:39 pm

Laugh It's OK billy, we can still share some stats. Hug
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:16 pm

Didn't anyone get rid of that SA lad yet?

You can't have a Secret Behind Closed Doors Irish Rugby Emergency Meeting of Disgruntled Fans and General Anti-Kidneyite Rebellion Forum (SBCDIREMDFGAKR)...............if the bloody SA lad keeps showing up!

Sort it out................now!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:30 pm

Sorry, I'm leaving. Shocked I have no more objective or informative opinions to add to this thread. Sad
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:55 pm

biltongbek wrote:Sorry, I'm leaving. Shocked I have no more objective or informative opinions to add to this thread. Sad

Pity Cry I was enjoying this Wink
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:56 pm

Rava wrote:
biltongbek wrote:Sorry, I'm leaving. Shocked I have no more objective or informative opinions to add to this thread. Sad

Pity Cry I was enjoying this Wink

Gotcha! laughing
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:33 pm

The old Irish joke about the no-good son and his poor mother living in the West of Ireland during the 50s.

Bad times, no work, a son who doesn't seem to want to work. Eventually, like so many others, he decides he has to go to England for work. His mother is suddenly horror stricken. Her only child going away, perhaps never to return.

She cries and moans for weeks as he prepares his things. She cries and wails as they go to the port to catch the ship. She pleads with him not to go, to stay and look after her. But he's resolute. It's time to turn over a new leaf and head into the great wide world.
His mother is distraught...tears rolling down her face. But he walks onto the plank and heads up into the ship. "Son, don't do it...don't leave me" she cries.
He stops and looks at her................. "Well," he says, "If you feel that bad about it, I will stay"

The mother's face turns pale.

Moral being, don't overact, it might be counterproductive.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:37 pm

Laugh
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down