The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Commitment to the cause

+18
Shifty
Messymesina
offload
Morgannwg
SecretFly
emack2
doctor_grey
eirebilly
MajorRoadWorks
A World Cup and 3 Finals
dummy_half
killer938
munkian
Submachine
Comfort
Biltong
Glas a du
Cardiff Taffy
22 posters

Go down

Commitment to the cause Empty Commitment to the cause

Post by Cardiff Taffy Tue 06 Mar 2012, 12:41 pm

During the course of some lunchtime wikipedia time wasting I happened upon the "fact" that Richard Hill now walks with a permanent limp due to the damage his knee sustained during his playing days. Legend.

That strikes me as an incredible commitment to the sport he clearly loves and was so exceptional at playing. Anyone else know of other ex-players whose bodies carry the scars to such a great extent? Please no truly sad stories.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Commitment to the cause Empty Re: Commitment to the cause

Post by Glas a du Tue 06 Mar 2012, 12:52 pm

Wicket keepers knees are Flip, all of them.

Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 06 Mar 2012, 12:56 pm

I played amateur rugby and my knees are knackered.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:33 pm

Gavin henson, is still to this day stained orange, a sad and cruel reminder to young girls out there of the dangers of self-tanning.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 06 Mar 2012, 1:46 pm

Saw Mike Tindall being interviewed after a game at the weekend. Talk about carrying scars. My four year old started to cry just looking at him.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 06 Mar 2012, 2:03 pm

Jacques Burger Shocked
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by killer938 Tue 06 Mar 2012, 2:04 pm

I don't know if there is a part of Lewis Moody's body that isn't broken

killer938

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 06 Mar 2012, 2:11 pm

Many formerly top players, and even many who played for years at lower levels, carry the scars and problems caused by injuries - heck, even my Dad, who was only a decent amateur at Morley, had one shoulder that lacked about 30% mobility and fused vertebrae in his neck (and it was a busted knee and the thought of going through rehab again that eventually saw the end of his playing days).

It is though appropriate to see a thread with this title on the day Lewis Moody announced his retirement from the game - while he may not have been the greatest player of all time (a very good flanker rather than a great one), there have been very few over the years who have shown a greater commitment or less apparent regard for their personal safety and well-being than Mad Dog.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Tue 06 Mar 2012, 2:21 pm

Indeed. In fact it was at Lewis Moody that my Wikilunch started.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Tue 06 Mar 2012, 5:15 pm

Jiffy must have taken a nasty knock to the head during his playing days. Smile

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by MajorRoadWorks Tue 06 Mar 2012, 5:32 pm

far too many to mention.... with some unfortunate deaths on the field, but as the opening post asks to avoid "truly sad stories" i'll not mention them, but allow you to "Google" yourself.

But one I will mention is the great Mervyn Davies.

Spoiler:

MajorRoadWorks

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 06 Mar 2012, 5:35 pm

7 pieces of metal, 2 knee reconstructions, 1 shoulder reconstruction and over 200 stitches. I can no longer run more tha 10 meters without pain in legs.

Sad thing was, i wasnt any good Sad
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 06 Mar 2012, 5:52 pm

Hey Billy, I just want to make sure it wasn't me who performed your shoulder or knee? When I was younger I was crap with shoulders.......

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 06 Mar 2012, 5:58 pm

All three reconstructions were done in Germany at Munchen doc...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 06 Mar 2012, 6:11 pm

Danny Hearn was in a wheelchair after tackling Ian Macrae during the 1967 tour by the AllBlacks.Last time I heard he was still injured from the waist down.
Jonah Lomu of course with his Kidney problems,The Legendary Don Clarke had all 4 knee cartiliages removed during his playing days.
Amateur days players tended to play on during a match as long as they could
stand.Players crying off injured during a warm up unheard of!!!

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 06 Mar 2012, 6:14 pm

When i was younger and someone one got badly injured we used to have to get them to work early on Monday and casually lay them down somewhere and report an accident so that they could get workmans compensation Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 06 Mar 2012, 7:29 pm

Billy, I was actually joking, but I hope you are doing OK. Some of the best ortho docs in the world are in Munich. If you need the surgery, really one of the best cities in the world to go. I feel bad to awful when anyone is done up by an injury. And worse if I can't fix it.

Since 1995, I have had a rotator cuff, two knee scopes, one knee microfracture, a fractured lower vertebrae (rods/screws), bone chips removed from my nose, herniated disc in neck (more rods/screws), and last May a grade 2.5 shoulder seperation. Prior to 1995 was pretty bad too due to postings with the military. Every day something hurts, but as long as I exercise regularly, its not too bad. And still playing is OK.

Frankly, no blinkin idea why I am still playing, no blinkin idea why I can still walk, no blinkin idea why I am still alive. But I am happy to be here. Just to torment my wife.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:10 pm

eirebilly wrote:7 pieces of metal, 2 knee reconstructions, 1 shoulder reconstruction and over 200 stitches. I can no longer run more tha 10 meters without pain in legs.

I'm laughing...but not laughing...em, you know what I mean. You certainly paid the price for your mediocrity there, billy! I'd hate to think how android you might look now had you been good!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 06 Mar 2012, 8:22 pm

Johnny Wilkinson obviously. Possibly the greatest role model in RU to this day.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:03 pm

I lost the first testicle in a youth game at Pontypool Athletic. They caught the culprit but he'd disposed of the evidence. A prop at Cross Keys has my left ear lobe that he displays in a pint jug with a pickled egg. He was offered a small fortune by the proud owner of the right one ( my own team mate!) as apparently they are worth a lot more as a pair. The last of my teeth is imbedded in the bar at the clubhouse in Croesyceiliog, the result of a bar diving incident. I misread the principle of a "trust fall" promise from a bloke that had drunk twenty pints.

I don't consider my playing years to be that eventful - true, it did cut short my modelling career Wink

I wouldn't change a thing.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Messymesina Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:25 pm

That's v funny Offy. :-)

On a more serious note The Irish hooker, Best looks to me to have reduced shoulder mobility, he looks as if he struggles to get his hands behind his head on line out throws. Does he have a history of shoulder injury? How does he scrummage?

Agree with Moody comments and Jonny. Two of the most courageous players to have taken the field.

Messymesina

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:28 pm

Scott Quinell can barely move and has a lot of arthiritis, Neil Jenkins also has a lot of knee problems apparently.

Gavin Quinell lost an eye from being gouged.

Max Brito lives in a wheel chair from being paralyzed at the 1995 World Cup.

Gavin Henson cracked a nail once while running his fingers through his hair while on the field, thankfully after much work the hair and nail have recovered.

I think most professional sports men will have a lot of ailements to live with as they get older.

Dick Gordon died on the field for Neath against Bridgend, hence why they changed their kit to black, became the Mourners for the rest of the season, then became the All Blacks in 1880.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:39 pm

Messymesina wrote:That's v funny Offy. :-)

On a more serious note The Irish hooker, Best looks to me to have reduced shoulder mobility, he looks as if he struggles to get his hands behind his head on line out throws. Does he have a history of shoulder injury? How does he scrummage?

Agree with Moody comments and Jonny. Two of the most courageous players to have taken the field.

Hi Messy - never let the truth spoil a good story...etc..

How's life in Norfolk, have you gone native yet? You know Captain Kirk was from there don't you - where else did he get that final front ear. censored
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Messymesina Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:44 pm

There's a film on tonight, BBC4 called Murderball about wheelchair rugby 10.00pm. Has had rave reviews.

Messymesina

Back to top Go down

Post by Messymesina Tue 06 Mar 2012, 9:59 pm

Hey Offy, I am good. Good to see you still posting. Norfolk is great. Getting married next summer.
Getting the locals to keep their fingers crossed for a Welsh Grand Slam (they have extra fingers!)

Messymesina

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:01 pm

Alistair McHarg playing for Scotland broke his leg as diagnosed after he came off the pitch at the end of the match.With a bit more commitment he may have been a tidy player!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:09 pm

Messymesina wrote:Hey Offy, I am good. Good to see you still posting. Norfolk is great. Getting married next summer.
Getting the locals to keep their fingers crossed for a Welsh Grand Slam (they have extra fingers!)

Congratulations, that's nice to hear. In about twenty years I'll look out for a Welsh qualified lad from East Anglia with the speed if ickle Shane and strength of Oz du Rand ! Best wishes.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:33 pm

Messymesina wrote:

He had an operation for a serious neck injury and was out for a full season 2009 to 2010.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Tue 06 Mar 2012, 10:57 pm

As an 18 year old, this is more than a little bit bleak and worrying to hear of these ailments and injuries, especially considering I've already got a dodgy knee and lower back. Cripes. But at the same time, ah well, life goes on.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 06 Mar 2012, 11:14 pm

Looseheaded,
Yeah the injuries are unlovely. But to put it a little perspective, I played Rugby with a guy who was a real terrific Prop. He had that real talent which comes only from Rugby heaven. In the mid-1990s, we were on peacekeeping duty in Yugoslavia as young lads, doing our medical thing. He had his leg shot up carrying a wounded idiot back to camp. He would give everything he has or will ever have to be in our shoes.

Mate, I am fortunate to still play, despite advancing years (and encroaching senility). A number of my early injuries came on medical duty abroad. But my mate can't play at all, but still loves the sport. The moral, if there really is one, is don't get worried. If you can play, play. Besides, medical treatment is so much better than when we were young. You will be fine. Get the right medical evaluations. Treat yourself well. Be smart. Enjoy.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 6:23 am

SecretFly wrote:
eirebilly wrote:7 pieces of metal, 2 knee reconstructions, 1 shoulder reconstruction and over 200 stitches. I can no longer run more tha 10 meters without pain in legs.

I'm laughing...but not laughing...em, you know what I mean. You certainly paid the price for your mediocrity there, billy! I'd hate to think how android you might look now had you been good!

Laugh away Fly, i paid the price but man i would not have changedd a thing Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Wed 07 Mar 2012, 6:55 am

Looseheaded wrote:As an 18 year old, this is more than a little bit bleak and worrying to hear of these ailments and injuries, especially considering I've already got a dodgy knee and lower back. Cripes. But at the same time, ah well, life goes on.

Couldn't agree more mate .... that beeing said im scheduled for my first shoulder reconstruction later this year ......... at the ripe old age of 18 Whistle
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 7:17 am

EngInAuck wrote:
Looseheaded wrote:As an 18 year old, this is more than a little bit bleak and worrying to hear of these ailments and injuries, especially considering I've already got a dodgy knee and lower back. Cripes. But at the same time, ah well, life goes on.

Couldn't agree more mate .... that beeing said im scheduled for my first shoulder reconstruction later this year ......... at the ripe old age of 18 Whistle

You must have a really bad shoulder then as i was told that i had to wait until after 22 to have a shoulder reconstruction...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Wed 07 Mar 2012, 7:41 am

eirebilly wrote:
EngInAuck wrote:

You must have a really bad shoulder then as i was told that i had to wait until after 22 to have a shoulder reconstruction...

Yeah its not pretty furious But ive been given advice from a few people including ex-allblack physios and Auckland Blues Doctors to get it done and out of the way. If your not going to listen to their opinion who's opinion are you going to listen too :/
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 07 Mar 2012, 7:45 am

Jaysus mate, i feel for you. Thats a young age to get one done but if they think that its the right option then go for it. Good luck there Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 08 Mar 2012, 12:21 am

Josh Kronfield wears a big metal brace for his knee. Seen him a couple of times. He was wearing a smart suit and tie with some nice looking lass but still had the big brace on.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down