The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When does a passing phase become a lifelong commitment?

4 posters

Go down

When does a passing phase become a lifelong commitment? Empty When does a passing phase become a lifelong commitment?

Post by Adam D Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:04 pm

http://v2wrestling.com/5/post/2015/04/when-does-a-passing-phase-become-a-lifelong-commitment.html

When does a passing phase become a lifelong commitment? 7454795

by Paul Mac

I remember it vividly as though it was yesterday. I was invited to my best mates house for tea, I hadn't long turned eleven years old, as I recall we had fish fingers and chips if you're wondering

After dinner we went into the front room to watch TV. My friends family were a little richer than mine which was the main reason I visited his house more than he came to mine. We weren't poor by any stretch but the difference could be measured by one important factor.

They had cable TV!!!!

A Friday night would normally consist of watching Power Rangers or another US made programme that I lapped up with amazement and wonder. This night was a little different. My friend ran to the TV cabinet and pulled out a VHS tape

'Have you watched Survivor Series?' He shouted?

A blank look obviously drew across my face as I clutched for the correct answer, beads of sweat tumbled across my brow as I stood desperately hoping my mouth would save my brain from this embarrassment

'WWF, come on Paul, don't tell me you don't watch wrestling?'

Now don't get me wrong I had watched wrestling on a Saturday afternoon before but it was with no more than a passing glance in between all the E numbers. WWF meant as much to me as E=MC2

How empty my life must have been....

Like I said. I still remember this event as though it happened a few hours ago. Those halcyon days huh?

The majority of the show passed by in a blur of colour, it was like nothing I had ever seen before but I wouldn't say it drew me in entirely until this one defining moment. Now I'm sure the avid fans amongst you know exactly where I'm going with this but allow me to continue

The set up to the match meant little to me but one man stood out immediately. The Million Dollar man had been feuding with Dusty Rhodes for some time and the SS match was a four on four showdown. Fan favourite Rhodes had put together a team full of similarly placed 'faces' and Dibiase being the archetypal 'heel' had used his money and influence to coerce Jimmy Hart and his Tag Team Rhythm and Blues to back him up. At the time of air one space remained on the team, speculation was rife as to who the fourth member would be, everyone has a price after all

The rumours were wild but the reality caused tremors across the entire industry. As the now familiar opening bars played a wide eyed eleven year old me watched with complete disbelief as 'The Dead Man' made his debut in WWF and perhaps changed a business forever

As I sat in the passenger seat of my mothers car later that night she must have wondered just how many smarties her usually shy and quiet son had inhaled that night.

I don't think I drew breath during the short ride home and after a few weeks of continuous nagging I ran home excitedly from school to see the cable guy completing his installation - I think I even offered to pay the contract out of a paper round I didn't even have yet

So what's my point you are probably asking?

We all remember that first time, the mocking looks and derisory comments of those older people that know better. Insistence from parents that's it's a phase, as soon as the penny drops that it's all fake he'll be onto the next fad

It won't last!!!

Well as I sit here as a thirty something year old contributor to a wrestling podcast and joint head of an efed wrestling community I think it's fair to assume I'm in this for the long haul. Sorry mum Smile

So there you have it, I'm out and proud. I like Wrestling, the theatrics, the good and the bad. No matter what!

Right now I have a wife who supports me and two kids who are becoming avid fans themselves but even when they are grown up and moved away and my wife has dismissed me as a lost cause. One constant will always remain

The Undertaker, thank you.

I owe you so much and yet you will never know.....

http://v2wrestling.com/5/post/2015/04/when-does-a-passing-phase-become-a-lifelong-commitment.html

If anyone wants to write like the other three v2 members have this last week, please email me at wrestling@v2journal.com

A huge thank you to all those who have contributed!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

When does a passing phase become a lifelong commitment? Empty Re: When does a passing phase become a lifelong commitment?

Post by Prometheus Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:11 pm

I liked that. I think the thing is that for the lifelong committed, you can (and do) recapture that childhood magic.

I'm not saying that every 30 minute Raw promo gives you the excitement that you had the first time you watched the Undertaker entrance. But, if I'm watching Raw next week and there is the Austin "glass shatter", I'll be off that couch and marking out like an 8 year old who's just eaten a whole shop full of Smarties.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

When does a passing phase become a lifelong commitment? Empty Re: When does a passing phase become a lifelong commitment?

Post by TwisT Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:20 pm

Great read and I am sure a lot of people can relate to it.

I had a lot of old VHS WWF videos that I brought in Woolworths. I still have them somewhere.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:56 pm

Adam, do you listen to the OSW Review podcast?

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:46 pm

gcBlues wrote:Adam, do you listen to the OSW Review podcast?
Hi GC - not sure what that is! Sell it to me!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:10 pm

Adam D wrote:
gcBlues wrote:Adam, do you listen to the OSW Review podcast?
Hi GC - not sure what that is! Sell it to me!

Well it's more of a vodcast. They basically critique the entire HUlkamania era (first run) in WWF/E with the shows playing at the same time. 3 Irish lads do it. Check out one at oswreview.com and on the episodes page. The first 5 is where they're settling in and really hit their stride after that.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down