The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Former All Blacks Captain and NZRU head Jock Hobbs critically ill in hospital

+2
aitchw
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
6 posters

Go down

Former All Blacks Captain and NZRU head Jock Hobbs critically ill in hospital Empty Former All Blacks Captain and NZRU head Jock Hobbs critically ill in hospital

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 08 Mar 2012, 10:58 am

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/6546788/Former-All-Black-Jock-Hobbs-critically-ill

Jock Hobbs was a pretty good openside and ABs skipper before concussion forced him to retire. And in late 1995 he possibly saved southern hemisphere rugby by persuading the Sean Fitzpatrick's All Blacks not to defect on mass to Kerry Packer's World Rugby Corporation and instead sign professional contracts with the NZRU.

His last public appearance (I think) was carrying the ball out to start the opening match of RWC 2011.

Part of a Canterbury rugby dynasty, Hobbs is brother-in-law to former team-mate and current Wallabies coach Robbie Deans. His son Michael was drafted by the Blues from the Wellington Lions and has been starting for the Auckland franchise in Super Rugby this season.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Former All Blacks Captain and NZRU head Jock Hobbs critically ill in hospital Empty Re: Former All Blacks Captain and NZRU head Jock Hobbs critically ill in hospital

Post by aitchw Thu 08 Mar 2012, 11:03 am

Very, very sad. No age at all to be facing this.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Former All Blacks Captain and NZRU head Jock Hobbs critically ill in hospital Empty Re: Former All Blacks Captain and NZRU head Jock Hobbs critically ill in hospital

Post by chewed_mintie Thu 08 Mar 2012, 11:14 am

Very sad.....Hobbs is a hero in my eyes - the man who saved NZ rugby as we know it

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by goneagain Thu 08 Mar 2012, 11:26 am

Sad news.

More than a 'pretty good openside' kiwi. I remember a TV interview with Italy captaion Marzio Innocenti during the 87 WC. He said ' If God created rugby player, he created Jock Hobbs'

goneagain

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 08 Mar 2012, 11:27 am

goneagain wrote:Sad news.

More than a 'pretty good openside' kiwi. I remember a TV interview with Italy captaion Marzio Innocenti during the 87 WC. He said ' If God created rugby player, he created Jock Hobbs'

I was going for typical Kiwi understatement with that line.

If Hobbs hadn't retired in 1986, Michael Jones wouldn't have been the star of the 87 RWC.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by goneagain Thu 08 Mar 2012, 11:31 am

That's true of course. Series of concussions forced his hand wasn't it ?

goneagain

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 08 Mar 2012, 11:49 am

goneagain wrote:That's true of course. Series of concussions forced his hand wasn't it ?
Yep.

Hobbs lifting "Bill" at Eden Park would have been a very different picture to David Kirk and Andy Dalton doing it.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 08 Mar 2012, 11:50 am

Awful news, poor bloke
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 08 Mar 2012, 12:45 pm

The respect shown for Hobbs was demonstrated admirably when he presented Richie and Mils with their centurion caps.

Not many people remember Jock Hobb´s crucial role in the period after the 1995 RWC staving off a rebel bid and protecting AB rugby as we know it. A fine player but an even finer administrator of the game who was acknowledged in the New Year´s list but not enough in my opinion.

My sympathies to his son who has flown back from SA where the Blues were camped and to his family at large. From personal experience, I know how difficult these times can be. Top bloke. Hang in there Jock.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down