The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sam Cane appointed All Blacks captain for the new season

+2
nlpnlp
mikey_dragon
6 posters

Go down

Sam Cane appointed All Blacks captain for the new season Empty Sam Cane appointed All Blacks captain for the new season

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 07 May 2020, 9:31 pm

Not sure when the new season will start up exactly, but Sam Cane will be captain. 

The call seems to have mixed reviews. I think he’s a good player but didn’t expect him to be made captain. Ardie is probably the better 7, but I imagine with this he will move to 8. There seems a bit of a void there now with Read and Kaino gone, and with Luatua still overseas. 

The NZ pack still looks as if it has the personnel to outmuscle the opposition whilst the backs are still the among if not the best whatever they put out. I think they look a bit weaker with the current coach and captain though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Sam Cane appointed All Blacks captain for the new season Empty Re: Sam Cane appointed All Blacks captain for the new season

Post by nlpnlp Thu 07 May 2020, 11:09 pm

Sam Kane is a good captain and who else would be an obvious alternative candidate? I am not saying he will lead the ABs into the next world cup, but I think he will help them through the transition which will take place over the next 12 - 18 months.

I am not sure that I agree that the ABs have the forwards to outmuscle the opposition - it certainly looked like England outmuscled them in the World Cup and they struggled for quite a while to contain South Africa. Other teams are catching them up and they don't look as strong as have done in the past.

I am not disrespecting them as they still set the standards, but I think their days of domination may be coming to an end.

nlpnlp

Back to top Go down

Sam Cane appointed All Blacks captain for the new season Empty Re: Sam Cane appointed All Blacks captain for the new season

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 08 May 2020, 1:07 pm

As mentioned on another thread, Cane is a bang average international and symptomatic of the issues currently in the NZ game. You look at their backrow options and none cry out world class which is staggering considering the conveyor belt NZ have had in the past.

I'm surprised Cane has managed to stay around so long, but fair play to the lad, he's a bit like the NZ version of Robshaw. Always works hard but just not particularly great at anything.

There are certainly better players, more assured of their position (Retallick, Savea, Barrett, Moody) but peraps they don't show the leadership qualities Cane does?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 08 May 2020, 2:58 pm

Ardie Savea was ranked at number 8 in the best players in the world currently by the Times writers. (Using data from Opta then their own interpretations). He is imo most definitely world class.

Cane is a decent back row forward, you do not get 68 caps for NZ in teh back row when bang average, but is not as good as Savea and still in McCaw's shadow.

There are not a lot of captaincy options available to NZ. Sam Whitelock was perhaps the favouite to get teh jo, but Foster seems to want a new broom (Whitelock was identified as Read's consiglieri) and a back rower.

Does perhaps have a feel of Taine Randall though.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 10 May 2020, 1:54 pm

nlpnlp wrote:Sam Kane is a good captain and who else would be an obvious alternative candidate?  I am not saying he will lead the ABs into the next world cup, but I think he will help them through the transition which will take place over the next 12 - 18 months.

I am not sure that I agree that the ABs have the forwards to outmuscle the opposition - it certainly looked like England outmuscled them in the World Cup and they struggled for quite a while to contain South Africa.  Other teams are catching them up and they don't look as strong as have done in the past.

I am not disrespecting them as they still set the standards, but I think their days of domination may be coming to an end.

If you don’t think he will lead the ABs into the next World Cup then why not Sam Whitelock? Perhaps one of their 9’s like Smith? 

So based on one-two games you against world class opposition, you disagree? The ABs front 5 can take most apart, but their backs are the strength for me. They need to settle on a centre combo for the next 4 years, right now they could be a little vulnerable as I don’t think they’re a settled enough team. I guess it’ll be a while before we find out. 

That could be the case. South Africa are definitely the leaders. I’ve said this a few times about the all blacks but I always end up being proven wrong...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 10 May 2020, 1:56 pm

Cane certainly has a bit of Robshaw about him, not sure Robshaw was that good a captain though. And like most say it can’t be easy trying to step into McCaw’s role.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sun 10 May 2020, 10:11 pm

NZ herald has reported that Sam Whitelock’s days are numbered, and would be 34 by the next RWC, so being doubted hasn’t enhanced his chances for captaincy.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 12 May 2020, 1:55 pm

Cane wouldn't get into the Scotland team. They should have gone with Whitelock as a transitional captain, until the next long term option emerged. I know Savea can play 8, but he would be better served at 7 in my view. I don't see the ABs as the dominant force they once were. They'll always be a top 4 side, but the current lot don't have the aura of old.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 13 May 2020, 8:35 pm

I don’t think Cane would get into anyone’s team, it’s not often we can say that about an All Black. I wonder what they see in him?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down