The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nightmare Holes

+7
Davie
sharrison01
liegerwoods
drive4show
goldwolf
SmithersJones
Nay
11 posters

Go down

Nightmare Holes Empty Nightmare Holes

Post by Nay Sun 27 Mar 2011, 9:05 pm

Hey all

After my round today i was wondering if anyone else has a hole that for whatever reason they struggle on more often than not.

Mine is the 13th at carricknowe, It isnt a particularly difficult hole im embarrassed to say. Its a Par 3, 154 yards, SI 12 it has trees on either side but is a straight shot from tee to green.

I think it has got to the stage im so focused on not going in the trees, that all i can think about are trees meaning 80% i end up in the trees.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Nightmare Holes Empty Re: Nightmare Holes

Post by SmithersJones Sun 27 Mar 2011, 11:10 pm

Nay Bother wrote:Hey all

After my round today i was wondering if anyone else has a hole that for whatever reason they struggle on more often than not.

Mine is the 13th at carricknowe, It isnt a particularly difficult hole im embarrassed to say. Its a Par 3, 154 yards, SI 12 it has trees on either side but is a straight shot from tee to green.

I think it has got to the stage im so focused on not going in the trees, that all i can think about are trees meaning 80% i end up in the trees.

Sounds like you've got the answer there already. Focus on the green.

I don't have one hole, the entire middle section of my course is my nightmare section!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Mon 28 Mar 2011, 11:52 am

Mine is our 18th, one of the hardest holes in the county. Frustrating to have a card wrecker as your last hole, so many times I've had a score going for it all to be lost on the last!

Par 4 dogleg right that is downhill to the turn then steep uphill to the green
Heavily tree on both sides
OOB on both sides
Water across the hole at about 230 yards

We had one guy who was standing in 2nd position in the club championship final round, then took 11 on this hole. Shocked

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 28 Mar 2011, 1:16 pm

We have our own Amen Corner, 10th to 12th at my course. 2 tricky par 4's that both look easy with a fairly difficult par 3 in between. I think the problem is it's easy to swith off because none of the holes look that bad but you have to put the ball in exactly the right place on each one otherwise you can be looking at silly dropped shots.

First medal of the year a couple of weeks ago I went 8,5,5 furious

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by liegerwoods Mon 28 Mar 2011, 8:09 pm

troon darley has a run of holes that can wreck the card.

hole 11 ...430 yds...whin bushes left for 380yds, heather, whin deep valleys right for the entire length of the hole and the green falls of on all sides with a bunker left and right protecting the green. prevailing wind left to right.

hole 12...158yds...small green protected by 4 bunkers and a steep fall off area back left wich takes your ball 20ft below the green. prevailing wind into off the left.

hole 13....450 yds...OOB length of hole on right whin left off tee and a burn crosses the fairwaiy at 270yds. second shot always from 190+ yds slope at front of green to kill the approach bunker short right and left edge of green. prevailing wind right to left.

hole 14....420yds....blind tee shot over whin and 220yds to carry the hill and catch downslope to fairway heather left and right on length of hole and a burn crossing front of green 30yds short. grass bunker behind the green that is near impossible to up and down from. prevailing wind down wind.....which means you find that bloody grass bunker with the approach that just sneaks off the back edge.

4 pars is a great score through these holes....on sat i went 5,4,5,6....it is really easy to lose your score through them.

* on hole 14 there is a patch of long rough just off the semi rough at the bottom of the slope which has been christned as "maggies minge" after a lady that works at the club.....hope she never find oot!!!!!!"

liegerwoods

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 28 Mar 2011, 8:19 pm

I don't have a specific nightmare hole but nearly always struggle on holes 12-14 on almost any round!?!

I find that my golf suffers a bit of fatigue, mostly mental, around this part of the round and I always have to be really careful not to drop shots on these holes. After 14 I've only got a strong finish in mind so find that my focus is fine again...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 28 Mar 2011, 8:29 pm

At my course, it's the 2nd and 2nd-last holes

The 2nd is the stroke index 18 hole and really is a piece of you-know-what for the lower handicap players but a real tough test for mid-to-high handicappers. A short par-4 that a real big hitter could almost take on from the tee - 90 degree dogleg left with a large copse of trees guarding the dogleg. For better players it's only a long iron or rescue club down to the dogleg and a wedge to the green over a pond. For not so skilled players, the copse guarding the dogleg is very penal and off to the right from the tee is a pond. Personally, from the whites I find it takes a damn good straight shot with a driver to get to the dogleg (and even then I'm not guaranteed to reach it). This leaves either a ball in the pond on the right or a chip out from the trees - and then you are faced with the dreaded 80 yard wedge over a fairly large pond to a large three tiered green.

The 17th is probably the signature hole and is a par 3 from a greatly elevated tee to a green with another large pond guarding 3/4 of the green to the right. To the left is another pond so for those not confident of the carry leaves a narrow neck to the green from short left to right.

The hole is probably 165-170 from the whites but with the elevation of the tee and usually a prevailing wind into you it seems (to me) to play a couple of clubs longer. Personally I prefer it when the wind DOES get up and I can hit a 3 wood at it to the back of the green

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 28 Mar 2011, 8:47 pm

There's no such thing as a nightmare hole. Only a twitching bum that requires a bigger cork.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue 29 Mar 2011, 8:12 am

drive4show wrote:We have our own Amen Corner, 10th to 12th at my course. 2 tricky par 4's that both look easy with a fairly difficult par 3 in between. I think the problem is it's easy to swith off because none of the holes look that bad but you have to put the ball in exactly the right place on each one otherwise you can be looking at silly dropped shots.

First medal of the year a couple of weeks ago I went 8,5,5 furious

I have exactly the same holes with exactly the same pars with exactly the same nomenclature.

10 - Par 4 - SI 1 - 425 yds - gun-barrel straight, OOB all down right, woods all down left, 40-45yd wide fairway.

11 - Par 3 - SI 8 - 215 yds - two tiered green, invariably into a headwind.

12 - Par 4 - SI 2 - 376 yds - tight tree-lined dog-leg which you need to hit 225 yds off tee to see the green. Go 260 yards and you run out of fairway and are in the woods.

Tough holes

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue 29 Mar 2011, 4:37 pm

My nightmare hole has to be the 13th as the fairway always sends me into the pine needles on the right hand side. I played it amazingley well around this time last year, when I was stuck on the needles and only had a small gap between 2 trees and needing to get over 200-yards onto the green, carrying the burn at the front of the green. Took a 6-iron and got to 3-feet, what a shot and sure felt good picking up my green jacket. Very Happy

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by goodwalkspoiled Tue 29 Mar 2011, 5:44 pm

Doc

How did you manage to miss that putt after that outrageous shot ?!!

Shocked
goodwalkspoiled
goodwalkspoiled

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down