The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I've forgotten how to score over 18 holes

+2
McLaren
barragan
6 posters

Go down

I've forgotten how to score over 18 holes Empty I've forgotten how to score over 18 holes

Post by barragan Mon 07 May 2012, 12:21 pm

I guess I've had my mind on other things recently, but I'm still a wee bit peeved at my spring form on the golf course. so far I've played 6 medals - three rounds in the buffer, two rounds one over buffer and one round two over buffer. On Saturday i started strongly enough, +1 thru seven, then inexplicably dropped 8 shots in the next 6 holes. Parred 14-16, then dropped a shot on the last two despite being inside 100yards for both of my approach shots. The previous comp i was +1 thru 9 (three putter the 1st for bogey then made 8 regulation pars on the trot) only to drop 7 shots coming in. The annoying thing is that even when i am scoring well, i don't feel that comfortable over the ball so i suspect all i need is practice to get me ble 'in the zone' for longer spells each round. another factor has been our greens - which have been appalling for a few weeks since they were hollow core and top dressed during a monsoon (very intelligent...). i normally average about 2.5-3 birdies a round, but only put 2 away in six rounds... lots of chances missed from inside ten feet, just not been getting anywhere near a true roll.

anyone got any other tips for staying in the zone or scoring when you're playing crap?

barragan

Back to top Go down

I've forgotten how to score over 18 holes Empty Re: I've forgotten how to score over 18 holes

Post by McLaren Mon 07 May 2012, 12:35 pm

From the sounds of it converting birdies (or not) is the obvious problem coupled with a lack of practice. I tend to find that playing 3 times or more a week (whether practice or rounds) can knock at least 3/4 shots from scores compared to only playing infrequently. I think the regularity makes a lot of the moves you are trying to execute a lot more automatic.

As to scoring when you are playing crap, not sure how possible that is at our level. Ensuring you maximise course management and strategy is probably all you can do if playing poorly to ensure the dreaded doubles are minimised.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

I've forgotten how to score over 18 holes Empty Re: I've forgotten how to score over 18 holes

Post by mystiroakey Mon 07 May 2012, 12:41 pm

golf is tough because it takes so long- so when you are scoring well, the pressure gets to you..

practise is key- just play more , and every time you play apply pressure to yourself

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 07 May 2012, 12:41 pm

Agree with Mac, doesn't sound like you are doing too badly. When playing badly playing conservatively is probably key to making fewer mistakes such as risking on Hollywood shots
I'm also struggling with birdies. Nothing new there.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 07 May 2012, 1:40 pm

mentally i seem to view a 10 footer for par as a must make- whearas when its for birdie i think im a bit more accepting of a 2 putt.
i think this is what leads to me having loads of GIR but no birdies when im playing well!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 07 May 2012, 1:43 pm

hend085 wrote:mentally i seem to view a 10 footer for par as a must make- whearas when its for birdie i think im a bit more accepting of a 2 putt.
i think this is what leads to me having loads of GIR but no birdies when im playing well!

Well that is a normal mentallity- however i think for many it makes us make more birdies rather than the par saves.

i make a ton of birdies personally, even when i am playing bad, its making them 10 foot par or bogey putts that stops my rounds momentum

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 07 May 2012, 5:12 pm

If you are giving yourself birdie chances, and getting eight pars in a row, I'm not sure you can say you are playing crap.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about your scores until the weather is better, the courses have some real growth - especially on the greens - and we aren't playing in monsoons.

Playing on bobbly, bumpy slow greens isn't conducive to stroking your putts confidently down the line.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 07 May 2012, 5:28 pm

fair comments George - ball striking has been a real mixed bag of late. I'm flushing a decent percentage of shots but also thins and chunks are a frequent occurance. basically i seem to be equally capable of stringing together a few good holes and a few bad. your comments re putting are fair. as for weather, we did have a spell of a week and a half of extremely heavy showers. so much so that the Greensstaff were unable to carry out tining...but then they blasted straight ahead the next day on the sodden surfaces. waiting for a dry and warm spell would have been far more effective even if they needed to give the greens 2-3mins sprinkler in the middle of the day to get extra growth.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 07 May 2012, 5:36 pm

You can't legislate for idiotic greenstaff. Still, if it's any consolation, the greens will be good when the tining and scarifying is done, and the weather bucks up.

Turning the sprinklers on at the moment isn't the answer though, because the water coming out is still cold and it has the effect of cooling the soil off again, just when it's warming up. You need the soil and roots of the grass to be more than 50F to get things growing. Most water supplies are producing water closer to 40F than 50F at the moment.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 07 May 2012, 6:08 pm

that's interesting , wasn't aware of that but guess its just common sense really! I've helped out a little at my previous club and the planning behind tining was such that they really waited for the right conditions before battering the greens. my current club has planned maintenance weeks built into the fixture lists and they carry on whatever the forecast or current conditions...resulting in several weeks of disappointment. starting to get there now at least.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 07 May 2012, 6:15 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
hend085 wrote:mentally i seem to view a 10 footer for par as a must make- whearas when its for birdie i think im a bit more accepting of a 2 putt.
Well that is a normal mentallity- however i think for many it makes us make more birdies rather than the par saves.
i make a ton of birdies personally, even when i am playing bad, its making them 10 foot par or bogey putts that stops my rounds momentum

the only ten footers i seem to knock on at the moment are for bogey... a blessing of sorts i guess

perhaps an interesting question to follow your comment would be: would you prefer to be level after 6 with 6 pars or 2 birds 2pars and 2 bogey? think I'd go for the second option.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 07 May 2012, 6:24 pm

at present 6 pars, but i would be annoyed with no birdies on 3 and 4(both 300 yard par 4's at my club), but i would like abit more consitancy in my game

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 07 May 2012, 6:28 pm

McLaren wrote:From the sounds of it converting birdies (or not) is the obvious problem coupled with a lack of practice. I tend to find that playing 3 times or more a week (whether practice or rounds) can knock at least 3/4 shots from scores compared to only playing infrequently. I think the regularity makes a lot of the moves you are trying to execute a lot more automatic.

As to scoring when you are playing crap, not sure how possible that is at our level. Ensuring you maximise course management and strategy is probably all you can do if playing poorly to ensure the dreaded doubles are minimised.

i think you are spot on mac. one of the things i am finding a little difficulty to balance at the moment is range vs on course practice. think i could do with a little more range time to hone a consistent swing.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 07 May 2012, 6:30 pm

multiple birdies always get me in a confident mood

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 07 May 2012, 6:40 pm

I get alot in fairness. however if i started of bogey bogey par par birdie birdie that would put me in a much better mental state than all pars, however reverse it and i would be in a worse mental state

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 07 May 2012, 7:02 pm

how many do you make mysti ?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 07 May 2012, 7:55 pm

I dunno on average about 4 a round, i cant remember a round without at least 2. I am quite long though many are 2 putt birds or chip/bunker shot and putt.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 07 May 2012, 9:10 pm

but making birdies doesnt keep me in the zone bam- i am making a triple bogey plus every 20 or so holes. However i have been playing alot of skins and match play recently and havent played a medal for 7 monnths so i suppose that could be a reason

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 07 May 2012, 9:28 pm

i guess when I'm not making birdies I'm just more likely to be anxious about any dropped shots. if I'm making a few birdies each round i guess its just a bit easier to feel comfortable about posting a decent score.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 08 May 2012, 2:06 pm

I havent won anything for 4 years(only rejoined my club after a 3 year break last year)

So i am not feeling anxious about scoring but i will have to start really sorting out my consitancy soon

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Tue 08 May 2012, 2:20 pm

mystiroakey wrote:I dunno on average about 4 a round, i cant remember a round without at least 2. I am quite long though many are 2 putt birds or chip/bunker shot and putt.

thats a huge amount isnt it?
not doubting you by any means but you must be a serious player!
is there alot of short par 4s and reachable par 5s?
im a long hitter but my home course doesnt really give all that much advangtage to long hitters in terms of birdies. weve one par 5 thats reachable and one par 4 thats reachable but realistically you would only go for it in a 4 man team as its an island green.... 270 yds long.

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 08 May 2012, 3:20 pm

well i used to be a cat 1- restarted and play of 7.. My course is only 6300 but does hold some biggish county events(held the surrey amatuer last year), i can reach on any given day 2 of the par 5's and 2 of the 4's(and i mean in any condition) but normally i can get around the green or on the green in under regulation on 4 par 4's and the 3 par 5's

we have two par 4'(3rd and 4th) on the spin that are 300 yards- and i have birdied or eagled the 4th the last 7 times i have played it.

i would say realistically my average would be under 4 but over 3 for the last year(since i joined my club again). i have also had about 8 eagles this year and i havent even played that much

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down