The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Academy nominees

+6
Taylorman
Notch
LondonTiger
Cymroglan
eirebilly
Biltong
10 posters

Go down

Academy nominees Empty Academy nominees

Post by Biltong Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:45 pm

During the two six nation matches today there were two incindents that is an indication of where the game of rugby is heading. We have been saying for some time now that money is ruining the game. apart from having players being poorly managed and over played, the laws becoming a farce to the point where matches can now be won or lost on anyone of 200 decision made by a referee in an 80 minute period, we can now add the milking of yellow cards.

During the Wales vs Italy match Halfpenny was challenging for a ball in the air, made contact with Parisse who might as well have been on the 3 metre diving platform at the London Olympics in 2012. Halfpenny got carded.

During the Irish vs Scotland match Keith Earls and Max Evans were running in a race towards the Scottish try line when Max Evans took a grab at Earls' left arm, which would at any other time be a very poor attmept at a tackle where guys like Earls who weighs 197 lb would simply shrug off and continue through the gap, this time caused him to go down like a swooning teenager at a Justin Bieber show.

I find this to be very unsavoury indeed. Is it not enough that players are already more focused on playing the referee rather than the opponent, that we now have to add a new category that might as well be sanctioned by the IRB to "dive of the year"

Luckily in both matches the yellow cards did not have an impact on the results as both teams to be carded were dominating their respective matches.

How long before an incident like this will influence an important test match?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Academy nominees Empty Re: Academy nominees

Post by eirebilly Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:48 pm

Both were penalties to be honest. 1/2p was unlucky to see a card for his but Evans card was deserved.

Now, the thing that upsets me is the footballesq style of 'Playing the ref'. Both players did exactly that today and both can feel ashamed.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:50 pm

Yes, I do agree that the Evans card was justified. However the way it was "motivated" by Earls is not a good advert for young kids learning the game.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 10 Mar 2012, 7:51 pm

I don't like to see players trying to influence the ref and I also think too many players chat with the ref when that should be left to the captains.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Mar 2012, 8:25 pm

Both were penalties and cards.

1/2p was a bit unlucky. He was contesting but it was still dangerous when he grabbed the shirt. There was no way Parissee milked it. His shirt was grabbed in the air and he handed flat on his back.

I'm also not convinced that Earls dived either. Evans pulled him back. Penalty but probably not penalty try.

In an ideal world no-one would be trying to "dive" or get another player into bother. Stakes are high in professional games now though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 10 Mar 2012, 8:28 pm

I guess then we won't agree. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Mar 2012, 8:31 pm

biltongbek wrote:I guess then we won't agree. thumbsup
I agree with you in principle, just not necessarily about these incidents. Confronting the ref afterwards to "remind" him about the foul play just performed isn't good to see. However, we don't really complain when a captain "reminds" the ref about repeat infringments by the opposition and asks what he's going to do Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 10 Mar 2012, 11:18 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Both were penalties and cards.

1/2p was a bit unlucky. He was contesting but it was still dangerous when he grabbed the shirt. There was no way Parissee milked it. His shirt was grabbed in the air and he handed flat on his back.

I'm also not convinced that Earls dived either. Evans pulled him back. Penalty but probably not penalty try.

I agree 100% with both of these points. Initially I thought Parisse was milking it - till the replays show him landing right on his coocyx from about 5ft. That bloody hurts.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 10 Mar 2012, 11:37 pm

LondonTiger wrote:I agree 100% with both of these points. Initially I thought Parisse was milking it - till the replays show him landing right on his coocyx from about 5ft. That bloody hurts.

Yeah I'm rather baffled by the allegations of Parisse milking it tbh Erm

As for Earls, I think he would have very easily lost his footing after that challenge but have seen no replay.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 11 Mar 2012, 1:19 am

I don't think we will be going near the football red carpet very any time soon.

Being a full contact sport these incidents will be isolated and laughed at, discouraging others.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 11 Mar 2012, 1:37 am

Maybe we could stick to the game? Or games?
I think there is something unsavoury alright but a good lot of it is happening here (as usual, some might say) in the reactions to results many people didn't seem to expect.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Sun 11 Mar 2012, 3:48 am

People seem to think that Parisse is too good of a player to milk an injury. The way he acted you would expect he would have to go off. He didn't.

Love him as a player, was a card in my eyes, reckless rather than malicious, but players like Parisse are playing the reff with a little theatrics lately there's no doubt.

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 11 Mar 2012, 4:14 am

I agree with many of the people above when I think both plays were penalties and cards. But, I want to see a replay of the Earls incident to make sure I recall accurately. At the time I thought penalty, card and a bit of acting.

I thought the penalty and card was appropriate in the Parisse incident as well. But I didn't think dive and acting on his. Just that he was a bit off his rocker after hitting the ground hard.

I do have a final point. Playing the referee is as old as sport. That ain't going away. As the famous expression reads: If the referee doesn't call it, its rules. Or in the case of Rugby, its laws.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by mankiaow Sun 11 Mar 2012, 5:56 am

"this time caused him to go down like a swooning teenager at a Justin Bieber show."

You are getting on your high horse about this incident without having even seen it properly. You have no way of knowing whether he dived or simply lost his balance - you are not even sure whether there was foot contact - which would clearly vindicate Earls(I have read your other comments on all of the other threads). On how many other occasions do you see players raising their hands or 'falling over' when impeded, after chasing up kicks. What are you suggesting, making it a citing offence? Give him a lengthy ban like some other fool suggested?

I suggest you stick to commenting on the game and stop trying to milk a subject that has no substance whatsoever.

mankiaow

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 11 Mar 2012, 2:58 pm

Mankiaow, you will be happy to know that I have recorded the incident and checked it in ultra slow motion. I was wrong and have already apologised on the thread "Keith earls - did he dive."

However I have no high horse, in fact I don't even ride horses, and would advise you to pull back a little as you are now being as judgemental as I was, and people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I will though say he did make a bit of a show, and as for my comment ""this time caused him to go down like a swooning teenager at a Justin Bieber show."

I thought it was rather funny.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mankiaow Sun 11 Mar 2012, 3:18 pm

I don't think I was being judgmental. And I thought the expression I used was appropriate. But I acknowlodge your retraction, even though it doesn't cover the fact that you jumped the gun on this one, which is unlike you, from what I'm led to believe.

It's good to moderate the moderators sometimes!

mankiaow

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 11 Mar 2012, 3:29 pm

Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down