The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twenty20 World Qualifiers (13th March - 24th March) Thread

+12
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Corporalhumblebucket
alfie
guildfordbat
Barney92
Fists of Fury
Biltong
atletico86
BuLioli
Mike Selig
Mad for Chelsea
Duty281
16 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Twenty20 World Qualifiers (13th March - 24th March) Thread - Page 2 Empty Twenty20 World Qualifiers (13th March - 24th March) Thread

Post by Duty281 Mon 12 Mar 2012, 7:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Essentially, 16 teams are going for two places at this years World Twenty20 Tournament.

Which Nations?

Afghanistan
Bermuda
Canada
Denmark
Hong Kong
Ireland
Italy
Kenya
Namibia
Nepal
Netherlands
Oman
Papua New Guinea (Featuring Geriant Jones!)
Scotland
Uganda
USA

How Does it Work?

The 16 teams are split into two groups of eight and will play seven round-robin group matches in eight days to start off the event. The top three teams in each group will qualify for the knockout phase. The group winners face off against each other in the first qualifying final with the winner going to Sri Lanka and the loser getting a second crack at clinching a berth once the rest of the knockout phase unfolds.

The second and third place teams in each group face the possibility of playing four matches in three days during the knockout phase, meaning they may wind up playing 11 matches over 12 days in 30 degree Celsius conditions during the tournament, in order to claim one of the two available places alongside the ten Full Members at the 2012 ICC World Twenty20.

The team that successfully runs the gauntlet in the UAE will have the privilege of facing off against Australia and the West Indies in Sri Lanka. The runner-up at the qualifier gets to take on India, as well as reigning World Twenty20 champion England.

Useful Links

Complete Fixture List (Cricinfo)
Complete Preview (Cricinfo)
Squad Lists (Cricinfo)
Results Page (Cricinfo)
Points Table (Cricinfo)

Last edited by Duty281 on Wed 14 Mar 2012, 3:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Twenty20 World Qualifiers (13th March - 24th March) Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Twenty20 World Qualifiers (13th March - 24th March) Thread

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 14 Mar 2012, 4:20 pm

so far in summary for group B:

Namibia look good to top the group after beating their two main rivals in their first two matches. Ireland and Scotland look like they'll be battling it out for second place, with Italy maybe the surprise package (though hard to say as they haven't played any of the stronger teams yet).

group A:

Afghanistan look the likely bet to top the group. Uganda have done well to win both their matches though haven't played the stronger teams yet. Nepal won comfortably today, and look like they could cause the odd upset. Add in Holland and Canada, and it's really all to play for.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Twenty20 World Qualifiers (13th March - 24th March) Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Twenty20 World Qualifiers (13th March - 24th March) Thread

Post by atletico86 Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:17 am

Summary of this morning:
Afghanistan look on course to top grp A after steamrolling denmark by 89runs. Also in that grp, Canada sealed a comfortable victory over hong kong by 8wickets after crushing HK in d field and restricting them to 81.

Nambia maintained their 100% record in grp B after another powerful batting display, posting 177-4. However unlike the their previous 2games the pyrotechnics were provided primarily by Raymond van Schoor & Craig Williams. In the other game in that grp, Ireland stumbled over the line to a 2wicket victory over Italy after restricting the Italians to 100. If it were not for Surrey's Gary Wilson & Warwickshire's Boyd Rankin, the irish would have been in alot of trouble.

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:04 am

Yes and further shows this Italian side means business. However it seems they'll have to beat either Scotland or Namibia. Neither impossible but both improbable.

In the 2nd round of matches today:
PNG vs Nepal may be the one to follow, but Nepal seem to be on top.
Holland somewhat struggling against Bermuda, but 130 should be enough.
Kenya should get 150-160 at least which should see off Oman.
Scotland are putting Uganda to the sword.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 15 Mar 2012, 11:24 am

This is a great knock from Chris Amini for PNG, this could be a good game.

As could Holland-Bermuda: Bermuda have a couple of good batsmen who could give this 125 a go, an excellent effort from their bowlers, suggest Holland will be disappointed with that total.

Kenya and Scotland are surely out of sight in their matches.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Thu 15 Mar 2012, 12:14 pm

uganda r puttin up a fight against scotland...not quite over yet, as i say that uganda lost 2wickets!

PNG & Kenya look in control, would be surprised if thy lost from their positions

Holland shud still have the beating but bermuda have a chance at 40/2 off 8 chasing 126.

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 15 Mar 2012, 12:30 pm

Yup looks game up for Nepal, that flurry of runs at the end was probably the difference as the Nepalis would have fancied 120/125 I would have thought.

Bermuda look just about out of it, ditto Uganda.

Slightly surprised Nepal haven't made a better fist of this, but otherwise all according to form.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 15 Mar 2012, 3:05 pm

Group A

Today, Afghanistan made it 3 out of 3 in Group A with a comfortable 89 run win over the Danish. However, Nepal lost their game to PNG by 35 runs which was also PNG's first win. Canada and Netherlands also notched wins.

Group A Table:

Afghanistan - 6
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Netherlands - 4
Nepal - 4
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canada - 4
PNG - 2
Hong Kong - 2
Denmark - 2
Bermuda - 0

Group B

Yesterday, 3 teams in this group had perfect records (Namibia, Italy and Uganda). Today only Namibia still have it by virtue of a win of 17 runs over USA. Italy lost by 2 wickets to Ireland and Uganda were beaten by 34 runs by Scotland.

Group B Table

Namibia - 6
Ireland - 4
Italy - 4
Scotland - 4
Uganda - 4
Kenya - 2
USA - 0
Oman - 0

Another full round of matches tomorrow (including Afghanistan v Nepal) and then a day's rest. In total there's another 4 games left and then the knockout phases.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Thu 15 Mar 2012, 4:46 pm

Not the most interesting round of matches tomorrow, with clear favourites in each, apart from maybe Italy-Kenya; should Italy win that, they will only need one upset against either Scotland or Namibia to qualify.

Uganda beat Namibia in the African qualifiers a while back, but I can't really see them repeating the dose.

Denmark-Holland could be interesting: it wasn't too long ago both teams were ranked at a similar level. Holland's performances so far have been workmanlike, and Klokker and Pedersen should be able to make some runs against their attack.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 16 Mar 2012, 10:24 am

No surprises in the morning, with comfortable wins for Holland (I was wrong about that), Canada (Bermuda are really struggling) and Scotland (Oman were never going to threaten). Uganda should really have beaten Namibia, having got off to a flyer chasing 140, but didn't.

Ireland struggling somewhat against the USA but their bowling should defend anything over 120. Afghanistan going well against Nepal. Early days for HK-PNG. Italy have made a decent start against Kenya, Kenya's batting is brittle, but capable of scoring big, so that could be interesting.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 16 Mar 2012, 11:36 am

Ireland recovered through an excellent partnership between Joyce and O'Brien. 160 will be quite a few too many for the USA I think.

Italy had a storming finish to get 145 against Kenya, Berg the mainstay and then Damien Crawley and Hayden Pattrizi (who is probably the best keeper on display BTW) hit some lusty blows. That will be quite a challenge for Kenya.

Afghanistan's big guns are really performing so far, another 50 for Mohammed Shahzab (probably the 2nd best keeper on display) with another half-century. 157 too many for Nepal.

Hong-Kong have made 131 against PNG which is surprisingly many. Tricky chase for PNG, they're favourites but only just.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney92 Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:01 pm

Rankin is on fire so far. 2 wickets and only 1 run from his first to overs. Not too shabby. It is a shame that Uganda weren't able to beat Namibia though.

Barney92

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 16 Mar 2012, 12:06 pm

Kenya have made a decent start to their chase with 52 off 7 ... could be a close finish there.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Fri 16 Mar 2012, 1:24 pm

grt win for kenya...people were questioning their ability after a bad start to the compo n italy were a potential banana skin as thy have prooven to be a good side.

Ireland got bak some confidence with a comprehensive win, but their form has been so up n dwn its hard to gauge where thy are. I think its not a coincedence that with joyce moving to 3 their batting improved. Altho not a quick scorer, he is a rock n wil rotate the strike to let others play round him. Rankin is on fire 10 wickets in 3games n 3 straight MOMs, brill stuff but just hope england arent watching!

Result of the afternoon, n game of the day was PNG's victory over Hong Kong. Needing 28 off the last 2 overs thy came thru excentally. V happy for them as thy put in alot of wrk into grass-roots cricket there n it seems to be paying off. Also Geraint Jones had another decent showing

Afghanistan look formidable at their home frm home. Batters fireing and thy eased to victory aagainst nepal.

Mike: IS that Pattrizi guy rly better than Shahzab, I think Mohammed Shahzab is a quality instinctive player who is grt to watch. Would defintely be able to play county cricket, altho he cud do wid losing a few pounds!!haha Also do u think both these guys are better than Niall O'Brien?

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 16 Mar 2012, 2:13 pm

Kenya won a bit more comfortably than I thought they would, credit to them although their chances of qualification remain very slim (they'll have to beat Namibia by plenty to turn their NRR around).

Great win for PNG, really pleased for them, the numbers involved in the game over there are simply staggering and they've got a fantastic development program. There're also signs that Geraint Jones's involvement is not purely for this tournament but that he may be getting involved in local coaching and stuff; anyway his experience has certainly been invaluable to what is an inexperienced side at this level.

Afghanistan and Ireland with the predicted easy wins, Rankin has simply too much pace and bounce for some of the less established sides.

Atletico, I think Pattrizi is a better keeper than Shahzab although not by much (Shahzab is a very tidy keeper). The latter is by far the more accomplished bat, and definitely has first class potential. Similar to Nial O'Brien I reckon in talent, although O'Brien is a proven performer at the first class level by now.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 16 Mar 2012, 6:23 pm

Rest day tomorrow, so let's take a look at Sunday's games:

Hong-Kong v Denmark: realistically both teams are out of it; Denmark have struggled since their first win against Bermuda, HK nearly pulled off a surprise win against PNG. Could go either way.

Netherlands vs PNG: PNG really need to pull out a shock here, but the dutch are playing good cricket. They have plenty of decent batsmen (Swart, Myburgh, Kervezee, Cooper, Barresi and then Borren and Bukhari to accelerate) and it seems every match at least one of them is playing the significant innings. I expect the dutch to win.

Afghanistan v Canada: Afghanistan are playing the best cricket out there, Canada have been very much hit and miss. Can't see an upset here.

Bermuda v Nepal: Bermuda really have gone backwards whilst Nepal have put up a good showing so far, with a good win against the Danes and Hong-Kong. Think Nepal should win, but Bermuda have more experience and some proven quality. If they get their act together there could be a surprise.

Oman vs USA: both sides without a win so far, which pleases me somewhat (I don't like Oman's lack of development plan or the USA's internal politics - the coach doesn't pick the side!). I don't really care to be honest, but the USA are probably favourites.

Uganda v Italy: the Ugandans did an excellent imitation of South Africa today... Italy will be disappointed by their defeat today as well, as realistically it means they have to turn over Scotland (and rely on some NRR) or Namibia or both to qualify. I would still have them as favourites over the Ugandans, who lack quality somewhat, although excellent in the field.

Ireland v Scotland: real crunch match this. I think Ireland are getting better as the tournament progresses and this could be their tournament-defining encounter.

Kenya v Namibia: potential shock if you ask me, I always feel the Namibians have one bad game in them, and the Kenyans have performed well with the bat so far (apart from against Ireland). A few early wickets for kenya and it's game on.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 16 Mar 2012, 7:53 pm

Looking ahead, the knockout stage is full of pointless games like 15th, 13th, 11th, 9th, 7th and 5th place play-off games. Sounds like a school sports day!

Anyway, looking to the proper knockout games, there appears to be 5 prelim finals for the 6 best performing teams and by the end we will have our 2 qualifiers (Afghanistan and Ireland IMO) play in a proper final which, I think, will decide into which group they go for the proper thing. How confusing!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 16 Mar 2012, 8:25 pm

Duty281 wrote:Looking ahead, the knockout stage is full of pointless games like 15th, 13th, 11th, 9th, 7th and 5th place play-off games. Sounds like a school sports day!

I don't disagree or agree entirely. Whilst it may seem pointless, you have to appreciate that many of these countries simply don't play much cricket, and travel to Dubai was a significant expense for a few of the cricket boards present (e.g. Denmark), I think overall it's quite good they're getting as much as possible out of the tournament.

Duty281 wrote:Anyway, looking to the proper knockout games, there appears to be 5 prelim finals for the 6 best performing teams and by the end we will have our 2 qualifiers (Afghanistan and Ireland IMO) play in a proper final which, I think, will decide into which group they go for the proper thing. How confusing!

Tell me about it! There is of course an explanation: originally there were going to be 6 qualified associate/affiliate sides in the tournament, and I think the ICC were planning on the top 2 or even 4 ranked sides qualifying directly, and then the others entering a tournament such as this one (similar to what's going to happen for the 2015 50 over WC, with 4 associates/affiliates). Having changed the qualifying criteria after it had started, the ICC had to I think ensure that all the teams who had a chance of qualifying at the start of the old criteria still had a chance to qualify. Hence in Europe we had 3 divisions of T20 championships successively, with promotion being enacted immediately, and the top 2 sides eventually gaining qualification for Dubai. Although why it can't just be top 2 in each group play off semis (or top 4 play quarters) I just don't know. Welcome to the weird world of ICC cricket!

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney92 Fri 16 Mar 2012, 8:34 pm

Think the Namibia Kenya game is the one Ireland have to pin their hopes on for an upset. A Namibia win would leave Ireland needing Italy or Oman to beat Namibia if they want to top the group. Italy have a chance but I haven't much hope that Oman can do it.

Barney92

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 16 Mar 2012, 9:12 pm

Mike - with your knowledge of the Associate nations, can I ask if you know anything of a young Kenyan batsman, Seren Waters, and what's become of him.

He played for Kenya in last year's World Cup but isn't in their current squad. Until about two years ago he was on Surrey's books whilst still at Durham university with a lot being expected of him. He's no longer with us and now seems off the radar.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 16 Mar 2012, 9:52 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Mike - with your knowledge of the Associate nations, can I ask if you know anything of a young Kenyan batsman, Seren Waters, and what's become of him.

He played for Kenya in last year's World Cup but isn't in their current squad. Until about two years ago he was on Surrey's books whilst still at Durham university with a lot being expected of him. He's no longer with us and now seems off the radar.

Guilford, I know of him but only by coincidence, as he is still at Durham and there are a couple of french cricketers there who have come accross him. By all accounts he is a fine player, and hard-working.

Kenya went through some trouble with contract disputes last season (essentially several players - Waters not amongst them - refused the contracts offered) which were eventually resolved. There is a rumour they now want to pick only players who ply their trade in Kenya, which would rule Waters out at the moment, but it's not from that a reliable source.

More likely, I think Waters struggled somewhat last season with the Kenyan side (2nd season syndrome) and has simply not been picked. I don't know anything beyond that, I can ask around though...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 16 Mar 2012, 10:28 pm

Thanks, Mike. Would be interested if you do hear anything further. As I say, he was regarded highly when on Surrey's books - sounds like that remains justified from the Durham feedback.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 16 Mar 2012, 10:31 pm

Mike - thanks for that update. I too was wondering as to the whereabouts of Waters.

I must admit that until the publicity about Jones I knew pretty much nothing about cricket in PNG. "Great win for PNG, really pleased for them, the numbers involved in the game over there are simply staggering and they've got a fantastic development program." What kind of numbers are we talking about?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sun 18 Mar 2012, 12:52 pm

Fairly happy with my predictions so far for today, although HK smashed Denmark by a lot more than I thought.

Namibia's poor game wasn't today, and they comfortably beat the Kenyans who threw away a fantastic start (80odd for none after 10).

Afghanistan have been predictably too strong for Canada, Holland's batsmen did indeed produce the goods against PNG.

Italy's Damian Crawley (who is about as italian as myself) played the key knock against Uganda.

And Ireland do seem to have got their act together against Scotland, although the game's not quite over whilst Coetzer's at the crease.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Sun 18 Mar 2012, 6:35 pm

its confirmed that john mooney is injured, pulled hamstring n is out of the rest of the tournament, is a big miss as he is a good late hitter n handy bowler..Interesting to see who thy call-up, coincedentally niall o'brien is due to fly out there as he is due to play for the MCC, hope he gets a call. However i dont think thy will call him up as he wasnt named as a reserve, my money is on murtagh who wudnt be a bad replacement either!!

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 19 Mar 2012, 8:48 am

Big loss for Ireland that, Mooney was their finisher and in good form. All the matches a bit one sided today with the favourites seemingly hitting their stride more and more as the tournament progresses. Afghanistan, Holland, Kenya and Scotland easily beating Hong-Kong, Nepal (who are probably now out, but could still do PNG a favour by beating Canada), USA and Italy (who are also probably out, and have looked very flat in the field).

The later matches see PNG v Bermuda (PNG have the form, and Bermuda really have been all at sea, not surprisingly for me); Canada v Denmark (before the tournament I'd have thought this had a potential upset, but the Danes have disappointed); Ireland v Uganda (slight upset chance, the Ugandans have a solid side, but Ireland seem to be improving); Namibia v Oman (no upset here I don't think, Namibia all the way).

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 19 Mar 2012, 8:52 am

Mike,

Is the Ireland side significantly weakened or was it just a bad day at the ofice against Scotland? Theres always a bit of a lottery elemant to 20 over cricket but I still wouldve expect them to win that.

Who are the favourites to qualify now?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:00 am

Sorry you get me wrong, Ireland have lost John Mooney as a player. They didn't lose to Scotland (Scotland beat Italy today, but lost to Ireland yesterday with Joyce scoring 78), but they did lose to Namibia. That loss was a surprise, but not the great shock a lot of people would have you believe. Namibia have a hard-hitting batting side, and once they'd got 160 they were favourites (very few scores of 150+ will be chased down, in fact so far I think none have been).

They are missing Nial O'Brien who is probably their best T20 bat, and Tim Murtagh who could potentially be one of their top 2 seamers (he does after all have a very good county T20 record for both Surrey and Middlesex).

Afghanistan are hot favourites to qualify now in my view, mainly because their key players are firing, which is not Ireland's case (Stirling and K O'Brien have had poorish tournaments, whilst Dockrell hasn't made the impression I thought he would; on the plus side Joyce is in form, and Rankin is bowling really well). Holland are looking like good outsiders, had they had RTD I'd have really fancied them. Namibia have played well, but I always feel they've got a bad game in them somewhere. Scotland for me lack the quality of the other sides. Whoever finishes 3rd of group A (Canada) will probably only be making up the numbers.

It should be a fascinating end of tournament: all the top sides are gradually hitting their stride which is as it should be.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:23 am

andy poynter has been called up to replace mooney, v bad decision

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:34 am

Mike Selig wrote:Sorry you get me wrong, Ireland have lost John Mooney as a player. They didn't lose to Scotland (Scotland beat Italy today, but lost to Ireland yesterday with Joyce scoring 78), but they did lose to Namibia. That loss was a surprise, but not the great shock a lot of people would have you believe. Namibia have a hard-hitting batting side, and once they'd got 160 they were favourites (very few scores of 150+ will be chased down, in fact so far I think none have been).

They are missing Nial O'Brien who is probably their best T20 bat, and Tim Murtagh who could potentially be one of their top 2 seamers (he does after all have a very good county T20 record for both Surrey and Middlesex).

Afghanistan are hot favourites to qualify now in my view, mainly because their key players are firing, which is not Ireland's case (Stirling and K O'Brien have had poorish tournaments, whilst Dockrell hasn't made the impression I thought he would; on the plus side Joyce is in form, and Rankin is bowling really well). Holland are looking like good outsiders, had they had RTD I'd have really fancied them. Namibia have played well, but I always feel they've got a bad game in them somewhere. Scotland for me lack the quality of the other sides. Whoever finishes 3rd of group A (Canada) will probably only be making up the numbers.

It should be a fascinating end of tournament: all the top sides are gradually hitting their stride which is as it should be.

Sorry Mike I misread that.

I take it they are still well on to qualify despite the loss to Namibia?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:44 am

Providing Ireland win their last 2 games (which they should) they will finish 2nd in the group unless Namibia lose to either Oman (which would be about on a par with Australia losing to Kenya) or Italy (which would be a shock, but not quite as cataclismic) in which case they top the group probably on NRR. I think they then need to beat Canada (probably), the winner of Scotland-Holland and the loser of Namibia-Afghanistan (all as things look); that's if I understand the weird system correctly. So it is by no means a done deal.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:25 am

Having said that, Namibia are in early trouble against Oman.

Ireland have gotten off to a flyer against Uganda, doesn't look like they'll be a shock there.

PNG-Bermuda is well balanced, Geraint Jones and Chris Amini the key batsmen at the crease.

Canada have made a good start against the Danes.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:18 am

Stirling and O'Brien have fired for Ireland today, and they're well on their way to an impregnable score (in fact they probably reached it 3 or 4 overs ago ).

Namibia have recovered well against Oman, but their total is far from unreachable, could this be the surprise of the tournament so far?

Canada and PNG also with big scores which won't be chased down unless something remarkable happens.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:24 am

Is that a precedant and commitment thing thouigh? Are Ireland getting fed up with investing time and enegry into players who then look at the money and glory that can be gained elsewhere?

Its a very difficult balancing act, but they have to be careful to make sure senior players dont feel they can just walk in and out the team as they see fit.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:27 am

Yep, Ireland looked like they were stagnating a bit in the middle overs but O'Brien's given them the impetus they needed to put on a big total.

PNG really impressed me today, bulding the innings through Gerain Jones and Chris Amini, and then brilliantly finished off by Vani Morea who showed good improvising skills as well as hard hitting. Unfortunately their defeat to Canada looks like it will rule them out of latter stages.

Canada have smacked Denmark around.

Namibia have got a much better score than it looked like they were going to get, I have them favourites now, but signs that this Namibian side still hasn't quite got the consistency they'd want.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:28 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Is that a precedant and commitment thing thouigh? Are Ireland getting fed up with investing time and enegry into players who then look at the money and glory that can be gained elsewhere?

Its a very difficult balancing act, but they have to be careful to make sure senior players dont feel they can just walk in and out the team as they see fit.

Pretty much. Ireland said before the year started they expected players to make themselves available for all the matches, Nial didn't and was dropped as a result.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:44 pm

Oman have made a mess of their chase, but PNG vs Bermuda is shaping into a bit of a thriller, Bermuda need 23 off 15 balls.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:48 pm

Hemp gone, blow for Bermuda, but Tucker is still there and going very well. 21 needed off the last two overs.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:53 pm

Excellent penultimate over, 16 needed off the last over.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:53 pm

excellent penultimate over, and a wicket off the last ball. Just five from it, 16 needed off the last over, but Tucker's on strike.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:54 pm

Tucker hits the first ball of the last over for 6, game on!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:55 pm

and the second one as well, remarkable hitting!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:56 pm

and would you believe it, he hit the third over the ropes too, what a finish from Tucker!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:56 pm

and the third... Poor bowling, all 3 in the slot, and PNG will be disappointed with that.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Mon 19 Mar 2012, 1:52 pm

happy for bermuda...thy get alot of flack but all their players are homegrown bar one. I think thy punch above their weight considering the whole country only has a population of 65,000... PNG's time will come

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 20 Mar 2012, 8:20 am

Class really beginning to tell now.

Holland with a huge score (first one of over 200) built around a 3rd 50 for Stephen Myburgh, who France got out for 5 in a T20 tournament last year :-)

Mohammed Shahzab hits another half-century as Afghanistan make their now habitual 170ish. Can't see Bermuda chasing this.

Kenya's Collins Obuya who nearly tonned up against Australia produced the key innings to put them seemingly out of sight against Uganda.

And signs that Ireland's big players are beginning to fire.

This is now going to be a very interesting (and worth watching) end of tournament. The skills on show have been very good, and it's nice to see the leading associates take on board the techniques used at the very top.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 20 Mar 2012, 11:22 am

So no surprises in the morning matches, although Bermuda got much closer to Afghanistan's total then they had any right to.

The USA have done reasonably to restrict the Scots to 161 but should still be too many for them.

Namibia have racked up a huge total against Italy, Italy's bowling is not quite upto the standard required.

Denmark have come back strongly against PNG when it looked at one stage like 170 was on the cards. Bermuda chased a similar total and Denmark did beat Bermuda, but I would still back PNG in that one.

Canada have scraped 100 against Nepal, the nepalis will definitely fancy this chase though...

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:19 pm

well Nepal have made a bit of a mess of their chase so far.

Italy giving it a decent go at the start, but since Di Venuto got out they've struggled.

Denmark pretty much out of it against PNG.

USA though are bang in the hunt against Scotland so far, this would be one heck of a surprise!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:57 pm

usa look like there gonna pull off a big surprise...think scotland shud squeeze thru on net run rate...4 runs frm 3 balls n scots r out

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:58 pm

this is tense, US need 4 from the last over, but more importantly if they score it within the first 3 balls Scotland will be out (Kenya through in their place).

Wicket (run out direct hit) first ball!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by atletico86 Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:59 pm

scots got a wicket...run out 4 runs frm 2balls n scots r knocked out

Nambia won comfortably in the end...nambia n afghan in d final, shud be plaent yof big hitting

atletico86

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next