The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When did the court at the Miami Masters become ... "slow" ?

+5
Positively 4th Street
Haddie-nuff
Stealth Maestro Agro Love
socal1976
Wooffie
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

When did the court at the Miami Masters become ... "slow" ? - Page 2 Empty When did the court at the Miami Masters become ... "slow" ?

Post by Wooffie Mon 28 Mar 2011, 1:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

I ask this question following on from the press conferences given over the weekend, and how this topic seemed to be mentioned with repeated regularity in the Sky Sports studio yesterday.

Whilst its quite often mentioned that Indian Wells is a ‘slower’ hardcourt, I can’t recall the same ever being thought of regarding the Miami Masters.

These are Roger Federer’s thoughts …

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, look, I don't know. I feel that both are pretty slow, to be quite honest. It's hard to put balls away, like you say. You have to really set it up perfectly. It reminds me slightly to clay in terms of how you can construct points. The big serve maybe has a bit more you know, on clay it just gives you a bit more and then you can do the one two punch, one two three punch at times more than on clay. Other than that, you have to really create the way you play the points. Yeah, I wish it was a bit faster, but it is what it is. It's also a surface I can play my best tennis on, so we'll see how it goes.

With Rafael Nadal having a very much opposing opposite view …

RAFAEL NADAL: Never. Never can be like clay on hard because the movements are completely different. So that's makes impossible have a similar than clay when you are playing in hard, because in clay you cannot slice and you have more time. For sure I am not agree on that. The court is not very fast, not very slow, is average court. I think is normal one like probably the rest of the normal tournaments on hard. So no, I feel that the court is like every year.

The list of recent winners of this tournament are Andy Roddick; Andy Murray; Nicolay Davydenko; Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer. If you looked independently at this list of names, what bracket would you put them in? I’m very open to being enlightened on this, but indeed, when did the court become “slow”?
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

When did the court at the Miami Masters become ... "slow" ? - Page 2 Empty Re: When did the court at the Miami Masters become ... "slow" ?

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 16 Apr 2011, 6:46 am

:

Last edited by Haddie-nuff on Sat 16 Apr 2011, 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : duplicated)

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

When did the court at the Miami Masters become ... "slow" ? - Page 2 Empty Re: When did the court at the Miami Masters become ... "slow" ?

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 16 Apr 2011, 6:48 am

thumbsup ok socal.. I get your drift Ok! laughing

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 16 Apr 2011, 5:17 pm

socal1976 wrote:
bogbrush wrote: That wasn't the case before and certain seismic achievements in the past such as the RG/SW10 double are in fact no longer a tenth of the achievement they once were. Wimbledon and Roland Garros in 1978 was incredible; in 2011 it's predictable on form.

See this exact quote is my main problem with the slow court theorists. Invariably it ends up distilling into an argument that Rafa's and other player's accomplishments are tainted because the grass at wimbeldon is green clay and all the hardcourts are slow as well. And a very sick strain of Fed apologists are the leading proponents of this theory. The funny thing is great Fed doesn't need apologists and it is beneath the man to give red meat to these slow court conspiracy theorists in order to cover for recent losses. And yes Federer with his legion of fans (some in the media and on blogs) and his huge legacy can easily feed into this slow court theory. The alternate that he is getting old and the competition is getting better is just too logical and painful for Fed and some of his apologists to accept.

The Australian open went from rebound ace, an extremely slow, and high bouncing hardcourt to the plexicushion another slow and high bouncing hard court. Was Miami slow when legendary slow court player Andy Roddick won in 2010? When did they start slowing the courts down after Fed won in Aus in 2010, or pulled off the RG-wimby double in 2009?

In short, the game has changed, mainly because of racquet and string technology which gives the advantage to the baseliner who has speed. In the 70s and 60s the S and V guys had the advantage and it was a different game. Played with wooden racquets and gut strings that did not allow for the kind of pace and whip from the back of the court. I like it, and in no way are the accomplishments of Rafa or Novak or any other modern champion less impressive than past greats. In fact, if anything their accomplishments in this globalized game are even more impressive than players who dominated tennis when it was country club affair played in relatively few nations.

Now this really is a strange post; after all, hasn't Federer done the RG/SW19 double, and here I am saying it's a hollow achievement against the Borg ones and that's the behaviour of a delusional Fed fan who hates Nadal?
Socal, not every post that disagrees with you is driven by rabid Nadal-hating; it would be great if you could bear that in mind when replying.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 17 Apr 2011, 6:07 am

Lets put it this way, I dispute your point that the courts have been slowed across the board, the only one I know for sure that has been slowed down is wimbeldon. (and thank god)The AO has gone from Grass, to clay, to slow hardcourt, to a different type of slow hardcourt over the last 25 years, and that has more to do with their inferiority complex as the 4th slam. So in fact, if you want to look at the Australian open, it is faster than it was 25 years ago when it was played on Clay. Same thing as the US open, which in the mid 70s was played on clay. It is now faster than it was 35 years ago.

My main beef with your argument, (not with your personally) is that you are diminishing the accomplishments of today's players. I am defending not only Nadal, but Fed and Nole as well. If anything it is much harder to dominate the game than it has ever been.

In the past great tennis champions came from basically from three countries Australia, the US, and Sweden, and a sprinkling from everywhere else. The game is more global, the training at the youth level is more intense, more money is involved and much higher stakes. The athletes along with the technology are bigger, stronger, faster, and there is a larger pool of talent. So if anything it is much harder to win a grandslam or become a top player than it has ever been.

That is why if I had to rate the Nadal and Fed against the all time greats I probably rate Fed #1 and Nadal #3, because the game is tougher and their accomplishments even more impressive.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Apr 2011, 10:42 pm

Bogbrush...."Socal, not every post that disagrees with you is driven by rabid Nadal-hating"

LOL! I can just see them now, foaming at the mouth, wide eyed, running around and looking for something or someone to sink their teeth into.
Kind of reminds me of 606 a while back.... Whistle

To be honest though, I think you both have valid points, but the era's are so different now, that like the GOAT threads that will go on for ever, the court speed V slam achievement tally will too.

I think as each decade passes, the game changed slightly, taking into account court speeds and equipment technology upgrades and also player fitness and stamina levels. As each decade passed there were advantages and disadvantages to all these areas of change, but the players had to evolve with the passing of each phase.

I have to agree and disagree with both of you, as its not down to just one technology thing and not down to comparing a players achievements in the past with that of the game today which distinguishes who had a harder time of it.

For instance, IMO, the Borgs of their day had to be comparatively good to get their records, and it is the same today, more pressure, maybe more difficult on the faster/slower courts/balls whatever, but the racquet technology makes it easier.

To me its all a balance, giving and taking.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 18 Apr 2011, 5:59 am

Jubbahey, in the early 70s Cliff Drysdale got to the semis of Wimbeldon and his prize was a gift certificate for a pair of tennis shorts. And this was after the open era. The money that came into the game in the late 70s and 80s, obviously attracts more young talent to the sport. The sport of tennis really until the late 70s was not particularly financially rewarding. Therefore a great athlete would often prefer a good job or education then going into a sport where he could earn a meager living giving lessons at the local club. The physical fitness, the money, the competition level, and the depth of players from all over the globe is like nothing we have seen before. So how is all of that negated by Bogbrush's hypothetical that the courts are too slow. Everyone plays on the same courts. And therefore the accomplishments of today's players are as great if not greater than the past.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 18 Apr 2011, 7:45 am

I agree socal.. in the early days there were no journeymen not like today because money was not the biggest factor in the game. Like and admire the likes of Laver as we all did.. there were only two surfaces to bother about. It does not undermine their achievements in any way but realistically it does makes you even more admiring of the achievents of Roger and Rafa. Today´s game, as with many sports, has been advanced by viirtue of new technology among other things. The competition is intense and because of these two players who have inspired so many young people to come into the game.. it will be even more competitive. But many sports have changed from the way they were originally played. Money being one of the biggest factors.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 18 Apr 2011, 10:32 am

Exactly, I really don't see the basis for concluding that the accomplishments of today's players are less impressive than in the past. I watched tennis in the past, the drop off between players in the top 5 or 10, and lets say number 50 or 60 was huge. Now the margins at the top of the game are much smaller. Like you say even the journeyman can really play. In the past the first 3 rounds of a grandslam for any of the seeded players were practically walkovers. I mean just look at the size of these guys. Rosewal and Laver were 5'7 and 5'8 respectively. The average height of the ATP tour is over six feet and growing.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Tue 19 Apr 2011, 10:22 pm

socal1976 wrote:Borg was a really good looking and stylish guy. Plus he could do incredible things athletically. Although I don't really remember much about him I was too young.

Ooooohhhhhhhhh...... heart

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Wed 20 Apr 2011, 8:35 am

Hello I AM AWESOME

Welcome to v2........hope you like it here : )

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 20 Apr 2011, 8:42 am

Hello IAA..

I would echo Solerina´s welcone. When did the court at the Miami Masters become ... "slow" ? - Page 2 1479719350

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Wed 20 Apr 2011, 1:24 pm

Solerina wrote:Hello I AM AWESOME

Welcome to v2........hope you like it here : )

Solerina

Same here, just out of interest, do you have any particular favourites player wise?

Stealth Maestro Agro Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2