The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby League news

+11
Steel
aucklandlaurie
The_Enigma
davidl1061
drsambo1928
Pal Joey
sherlock123
George Hotel1895
dublfcynwa
Luke
Kenny
15 posters

Page 7 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down

Rugby League news  - Page 7 Empty Rugby League news

Post by Kenny Fri 16 Mar 2012, 8:09 am

First topic message reminder :

Gareth Ellis has said he will make a decision on which team he will join before the end of March , his agent has said they have had offers from several clubs but have narrowed it down to 4 teams ...while he did not mention which clubs they were they are believed to be Leeds , Hull FC , Huddersfield and Warrington .

Catalan Dragons have denied Hull KR permission to train on the Stade Gilbert Brutus pitch before saturdays Superleague game , rules state it is the home teams choice if they allow visiting teams to use their pitches or not . Catalans have told Rovers to train elsewhere which hasn't gone down well with them , odd decision from the Dragons as they usually allow all visiting teams to use their facilities .

Ryan Bailey has been given a 3 match ban and a £300 fine for pushing a match official during Leeds Rhinos game against Warrington Wolves , Brent Webb was also fined £300 and given a verbal warning for the same offence in the same incident . Warringtons Mickey Higham received a 2 match ban for a high tackle on Rob Burrow in the same game .

Bradfords Jarrod Sammut was given a 1 match ban for a dangerous tackle against Hull KR , Hull FC prop Mark O'Melley was also given a 1 match ban for a dangerous tackle in Hulls game against St Helens .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Rugby League news  - Page 7 Empty Re: Rugby League news

Post by Kenny Thu 06 Dec 2012, 10:55 am

WIDNES VIKINGS

New chief executive James Rule has announced that Widnes will play there home games on a friday night , Rule did the same thing when he was in charge at HULLFC a move that was widely hated by the fans
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Fri 07 Dec 2012, 9:00 am

Adrian Purtell can play again
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/20637417

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Dec 2012, 9:42 am

Kenny wrote:WIDNES VIKINGS

New chief executive James Rule has announced that Widnes will play there home games on a friday night , Rule did the same thing when he was in charge at HULLFC a move that was widely hated by the fans

Judging by the Vikings Facebook I think the fans will be more angry at the off season recruitment after adding only Kevin brown to the current squad, especially losing mcshane back to Leeds and now we have to play Jon Clarke more (the only player who'll get booed by his home fans)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 08 Dec 2012, 12:13 pm

Bradford Bulls:

Having suffered a heart attack after the Magic Weekend in Manchester Adrian Purtell has been told that he can resume his playing career, excellent news, best wishes to him.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 09 Dec 2012, 9:00 am

The Beast wrote:Bradford Bulls:

Having suffered a heart attack after the Magic Weekend in Manchester Adrian Purtell has been told that he can resume his playing career, excellent news, best wishes to him.

Great news for both the player and club , good luck to him
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 11 Dec 2012, 11:50 am

England stars Sam Tomkins and Kevin Sinfield have been nominated for the Golden Boot Award for 2012.

The winner of the most prestigious individual award in rugby league will be announced on 4 January.

Tomkins had another superb season which was capped when he won the Man of Steel award.

Others on the Golden Boot shortlist include Australian captain Cameron Smith along with his Storm team-mate Cooper Cronk, Canterbury full-back Ben Barba and Gold Coast forward Nate Myles.
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Steel Tue 11 Dec 2012, 5:50 pm

That's got Cameron smiths name all over it

Steel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 12 Dec 2012, 8:29 am

I would hope Sinfield or Tomkins is in with a shout this year
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 12 Dec 2012, 2:37 pm

Top 3 in my opinion Smith, Sinfield & Cronk.

Salford City Council have said no to the £750,000 deal with Peel Holdings to by out Salford City Reds. This is due to the cutbacks the council will have to make next year, they didn't feel they could justify this.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Fri 14 Dec 2012, 4:49 am

Reds hoping for new owners within a week.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/rugby_league/4695023/Salford-eyeing-new-owners-within-a-week-to-keep-team-alive.html

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Fri 14 Dec 2012, 8:36 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/20727940
Broncos to play Warrington wolves at Gillingham's priestfield stadium

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 19 Dec 2012, 11:31 am

ST HELENS

Anthony Laffranchi is hopeful of extending his contract with St Helens before the start of the 2013 season.

The Australian forward, 32, was a regular in his first year in England and told BBC Radio Merseyside he has settled in well at Langtree Park.

He said: "I'm up at the end of 2013 and I'm in the process of extending that.

"I'll sit down with (coach) Nathan Brown and (chairman) Eamonn McManus. If we could sort something before Christmas, that would be great."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

St Helens forward Shaun Magennis has announced his retirement from rugby league after a succession of injuries.

The 23-year-old played 33 times for Saints, scoring four tries.

But his career has been blighted by injuries and, after failing to recover fully from a knee problem, Magennis has decided to end his playing career.

"My knee has been bad for a few years. It came to a point when I couldn't train fully and I stopped looking forward to training," said Magennis.

Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 19 Dec 2012, 11:35 am

LEEDS RHINOS

Leeds Rhinos chief executive Gary Hetherington has played down speculation Ian Kirke could leave the champions before the 2013 Super League campaign.

The Wakefield Wildcats have been credited with an interest in the prop, who turns 32 on Boxing Day, and it has been revealed three clubs have made approaches for his services.

Kirke is contracted to Leeds for another year and the one-time York City Knight has informed the Headingley Carnegie club he wants to stay.

"Ian is contracted to Rhinos for 2013 and there is no desire for him to leave," Hetherington told the Yorkshire Evening Post.

"Ian has made it clear he wants to see out his contract at Leeds. He's extremely happy here and Brian has reiterated his value to the squad and how highly the club thinks of him.

"There has been quite a bit of interest from Super League clubs in Ian, which has come as a surprise as he is under contract. There have been approaches for Ian from three different clubs.

"He was a regular in the side last season and I don't know why there is a perception that he is available to move."
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 19 Dec 2012, 11:36 am

CASTLEFORD TIGERS

Castleford's Richard Owen has publicly apologised for the actions which landed him with a 12-month suspended prison sentence.

The Tigers full-back was also ordered to undertake 200 hours of community service after punching a man dressed as Father Christmas in a brawl, leaving him unconscious with a broken jaw.

The incident took place in Pontefract in the early hours of Christmas Day last year, and the 22-year-old was sentenced at Leeds Crown Court last month after pleading guilty to affray and causing actual bodily harm.

In a statement to supporters, Owen said: "After enduring a year out from playing with my career-threatening leg injury, I went into a dark period of my life.

"I let my family, club and all its wonderful supporters down. I am not proud of what happened and offer no excuses but just want you all to know how deeply sorry I am to each and every one of you.

"This is now the biggest test of my life and I will prove to you all how grateful I am for giving me this chance.

"Together we will strive to take Cas into the top bracket once again and my actions will hopefully see me remembered as a player for things done on the field and not off of it."

Owen, who has since been the subject of internal disciplinary action from the Tigers, missed most the 2011 season with a broken leg.

Tigers chief executive Steve Ferres said: "While the specific nature of the disciplinary panel's decision must remain confidential, the penalty imposed by the panel reflected how seriously this matter was treated and was consistent with its previous decisions.

"Richie has apologised for his actions and Castleford Tigers will support him whole-heartedly in his attempts to re-engage with the local community off the pitch and to show the fans the talent that we all know he has on it."
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 19 Dec 2012, 11:37 am

BRADFORD BULLS

New Bradford coach Francis Cummins is keen for the Bulls' up and coming stars to grasp their chance in the 2013 Super League campaign.

Cummins succeeded Mick Potter at Odsal in September and a number of teenagers have been promoted by the Super League club ahead of the new season.

The inclusion of John Bateman, Adam O'Brien, Oliver Roberts, Sam Wood and Curtis Naughton means Bradford's squad now has an average age of 24.

Cummins does not see the Bulls' lack of experience as an issue going into the new season and the ex-Leeds winger has challenged his youngsters to rise to the occasion.

"There are people within our squad who really have got the opportunity to progress. How far they go will be determined by the players themselves," he told the Telegraph and Argus.

"If they are willing to make sacrifices and really go for it, then they can achieve things because they have the ability.

"The average age of our squad is 24, so it's very young and that excites me. We've got some cracking players and these lads want to play for Bradford."
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 19 Dec 2012, 11:45 am

HULL KR

Are currently in Tenerife on a warm weather training camp , coach Craig Sandercock has said that he is pleased with the commitment shown by all the squad and for first time since he took over he feels that all the squad is 100% behind the club .

This seems a little side swipe at certain players who have left since last season to me .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 20 Dec 2012, 11:53 am

HULL KR

Prop Ryan O'Hara could miss the start of the 2013 Super League season after undergoing Achilles surgery.

The 32-year-old, who made 15 appearances in the league last season, struggled with the injury towards the end of last season.

Robins boss Craig Sandercock told the club website: "If he had kept playing or training it could have gone so it's why we decided he should have surgery.

"We are racing against time for him to be fit for round one."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WIDNES VIKINGS

Have confirmed that Kevin Brown has undergone ankle surgery, but is expected to be fit for the start of the Super League season.
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 20 Dec 2012, 4:31 pm

When is the first game of the pre-season, Kenny? In February?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu 20 Dec 2012, 9:23 pm

Ankle operation for Widnes's Kevin Brown
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/20802007

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu 20 Dec 2012, 9:25 pm

Rovers prop O'Hara go's under the knife
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/20796798

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 23 Dec 2012, 10:08 am

Linebreaker wrote:When is the first game of the pre-season, Kenny? In February?
HULL KR games
January
Sun 13th Preseason Friendly Wigan Warriors MS3 Craven Park
Sun 20th Preseason Friendly Hull FC KC Stadium
February
Sun 3rd Super League Catalan Dragons MS3 Craven Park
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 31 Dec 2012, 9:25 pm

Wishing all the League boys all the best for 2013...

Can Queensland do it again?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Tue 01 Jan 2013, 9:28 am

Lets not forget the 2013 is world cup year. We need to support this event to the hilt.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri 04 Jan 2013, 5:13 am

CATALAN DRAGONS

Scott Dureau is recovering after undergoing surgery to remove a tumour behind his eye.

The operation in Australia went well and the tumour was removed without any complications.
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri 04 Jan 2013, 12:38 pm

Sad news The George Hotel ( not our GeorgeHotel1895 ) has closed it's doors , which meens that the Mike Stephenson rugby league heritage centre has also closed .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri 04 Jan 2013, 12:45 pm

The fight has started for the international cap of Canberra Raiders winger Sandor Earl with both England and Australia wanting the Hungarian/Maori .

Earl is expected to be picked for the City v Country Origin warm up fixture which could then lead to a Origin pick and future Kangaroos honours , but England coach is also looking into an English grandparent and selecting Earl to play for England first .

Having already played for the Maoris against England in 2010 surely this shouldn't happen .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 05 Jan 2013, 3:30 am

These Maoris dont care who they play for, they just want to play..

But theres nothing like a big cheque to find a previously unknown granny.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 05 Jan 2013, 4:46 am

Similar heritage to me - part hungarian/part kiwi living in Oz. Smile
Sandor is 'Sandy' shortened from Alexander.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sat 05 Jan 2013, 10:02 am

Kenny wrote:The fight has started for the international cap of Canberra Raiders winger Sandor Earl with both England and Australia wanting the Hungarian/Maori .

Earl is expected to be picked for the City v Country Origin warm up fixture which could then lead to a Origin pick and future Kangaroos honours , but England coach is also looking into an English grandparent and selecting Earl to play for England first .

Having already played for the Maoris against England in 2010 surely this shouldn't happen .
It is my opinion that you should only be allowed to play for a country if, you was born in that country, or have a parent that was born in that country, or you have lived in that country for at least 8 years, and have not played for another country as senior level.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 08 Jan 2013, 10:50 am

WIDNES VIKINGS

Coach Denis Betts has signed a contract extension until the end of the 2014 season
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 08 Jan 2013, 5:58 pm

SALFORD CITY REDS

Martin Gleeson is to sign a two year contract should the take over go through and Salford stay in Superleague
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 08 Jan 2013, 11:55 pm

Kenny wrote:SALFORD CITY REDS

Martin Gleeson is to sign a two year contract should the take over go through and Salford stay in Superleague

Given what happened with regards Bradford, plus what the RFL did to help Crusaders I can think of no real reason why Salford won't be in SL this season.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Jan 2013, 4:44 pm

WIDNES VIKINGS

added former Bradford man Phil Joseph on a one year deal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Jan 2013, 4:46 pm

Coach Denis Betts has signed a contract extension until the end of the 2014 season

Very poor move. I know he doesn't have the best squad of players to work with. But he looked out of his depth web when we were in the championship

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 10 Jan 2013, 10:47 am

gazzyD wrote:

Very poor move. I know he doesn't have the best squad of players to work with. But he looked out of his depth web when we were in the championship

Widnes is the type of club Daryl Powell would to well with in my opinion. Got to agree about Betts, struggled for a number of years he's been the coach.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 20 Jan 2013, 12:48 pm

Rumour going around that Gareth Hock will sign for Widnes on a season long loan deal after a falling out with Wigan head coach Shaun Wane
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Jan 2013, 5:46 am

Done. Signed today.

Reputation aside this a massive coup for us

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed 23 Jan 2013, 12:32 am

Tetleys to sponsor the challenge cup.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/21145199

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 27 Jan 2013, 10:29 am

No new sponsor for Superleague yet though
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 27 Jan 2013, 11:00 am

Widnes have made their first team squad, bar Gareth Hock and overseas players with visas, available to play in partnership with Workington Town.

The link-up allows up to five dual-registration or loan players to play for the Championship club.

"Having spoken to our players, playing for Workington is seen as a big step back into the Widnes first team," said Vikings head coach Denis Betts.

Who could go to Derwent Park?
Vikings talents such as Danny Craven, Stefan Marsh and Joe Mellor could move to Workington as part of the tie-up.

Gareth Hock, Willie Isa, Cameron Phelps, Patrick Ah Van, Rhys Hanbury and Frank Winterstein are all unavailable.

"They believe that this is something they will want and need."

Betts added: "It will put both clubs in a far healthier position and means that we will both benefitting from our first team players' ambitions to be the best they can be."
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:51 am

It's being reported that the Superleague teams combined debt is £68 million

How long can the league survive losing money hand over foot ? Come on RFL sort out decent sponsor ship , think about bringing the Yorkshire and Lancashire cups back or an alternate to the old Regal trophy .With only 2 trophys to play for theres not even money being generated .
Personally i would like to see a return to the league winners crowned as champions and a end of season premiership . With like i said the other trophys brought back .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 29 Jan 2013, 4:40 am

68 million is a lot of money, you could do a lot of development with that.

You might find this interesting coming from a New Zealander , but half the problem I see for the League in England, is that there are too many Kiwis ( and Aussies) playing up there, sucking a lot of cash out of the system then when they are broken down they come back home, with their money...

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 29 Jan 2013, 10:39 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
68 million is a lot of money, you could do a lot of development with that.

You might find this interesting coming from a New Zealander , but half the problem I see for the League in England, is that there are too many Kiwis ( and Aussies) playing up there, sucking a lot of cash out of the system then when they are broken down they come back home, with their money...

Agree totally , by reducing the number of overseas/non quota players the Superleague will suffer for awhile but in the long run it will improve and also benefit the national team .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Salford City Reds have signed young full-back Jack Murphy on loan from Wigan Warriors for a month.

The 20-year-old is eligible to face his parent club when the Super League campaign begins on Friday.
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Castleford Tigers winger Kirk Dixon will miss the opening six weeks of the new Super League season after tearing a calf muscle.
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 29 Jan 2013, 10:42 am

Huddersfield Giants' marquee signing Ukuma Ta'ai has been granted his visa and is expected to fly into the country shortly, the club have announced.

The 26-year-old Tongan international forward, who has spent the last four seasons with New Zealand Warriors, has signed a three-year contract with the Giants but saw his arrival held up by red tape.
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 9:07 am

Kenny wrote:Huddersfield Giants' marquee signing Ukuma Ta'ai has been granted his visa and is expected to fly into the country shortly, the club have announced.

The 26-year-old Tongan international forward, who has spent the last four seasons with New Zealand Warriors, has signed a three-year contract with the Giants but saw his arrival held up by red tape.
I think this is a good signing by the Giants, but time will tell.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 30 Jan 2013, 10:24 am

He looks a big unit as they say , i think Huddersfield may adopt the old Bradford style of playing behind a huge pack
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 10:32 am

Kenny wrote:He looks a big unit as they say , i think Huddersfield may adopt the old Bradford style of playing behind a huge pack
Lets not forget that Paul Anderson was a member of that Bradford pack for a long time in his career. Nobbys thinking rubbing off on him perhaps?

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 30 Jan 2013, 10:35 am

George Hotel1895 wrote:
Kenny wrote:He looks a big unit as they say , i think Huddersfield may adopt the old Bradford style of playing behind a huge pack
Lets not forget that Paul Anderson was a member of that Bradford pack for a long time in his career. Nobbys thinking rubbing off on him perhaps?

My thinking exactly , i still think they are light in halfs having lost Brown and Lee though
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next