The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best combination back three per home nation.

+19
Ospreydragon
red_stag
TycroesOsprey
hugo124
niwatts
maestegmafia
doctornickolas
gregortree
Woodstock
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
IanBru
adambarney
geoff998rugby
Cowshot
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Geordie
Cardiff Taffy
eirebilly
Biltong
23 posters

Go down

Best combination back three per home nation. Empty Best combination back three per home nation.

Post by Biltong Mon 19 Mar 2012, 6:46 am

I want to know from the six Nation countries who believe their COMBINATION back three is settled and the best their country has to offer. So discuss only the back three and whether you think your current back three can be improved upon and who with.

Then select ONE player that can come on as an impact substitution or injury replacement that can add to the combination.

I'll start off with who I have seen in the six Nations as the back three and then you can expand upon that.

Wales.
North
Cuthbert
Halfpenny

Ireland
Kearney
Bowe
?

Scotland
Hogg
Lamont
?

England
Foden
Ashton
?

I want to go through all the combinations, but we'll start here. If you think a player is played out of position like Earls as an example then please note that as well. We'll do a summary at the end of every group of combinations.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Best combination back three per home nation. Empty Re: Best combination back three per home nation.

Post by eirebilly Mon 19 Mar 2012, 8:35 am

Ireland

Kearney
Bowe / Dave Kearney
Trimble / Zebo
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Best combination back three per home nation. Empty Re: Best combination back three per home nation.

Post by Cardiff Taffy Mon 19 Mar 2012, 8:55 am

The Wales back three at the moment is very strong but I do like Stoddart. He was playing fantastically well before he broke his leg. Not sure when he's back but if he's still playing well it would be a good selection headache to have.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:09 am

England is more like:

15.Foden
14. ??
11. ??

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:16 am

England:

Foden
North
Cuthbert

22: Evans

Because of the amount of poaching going on they will have to make do with a bag of crisps and the Stevenage bypass or a combination equally as usueful in a game of rugby.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:17 am

England: Foden, Ashton and Strettle.

Foden's still good, Ashton is talented but having second season blues (I hope) and Strettle has about 50% of the team caps. This is still a side in the early stages of development and the back line is not yet fully functional.

Brown and Sharples look good replacements. Brown is probably the form FB of the Premiership and Sharples is very, very fast.

Don't think that Barritt, Farrell and Tuilagi really know what they are doing at present. Makes life very difficult for the back three.

Best FB and Wing in the NH at present are Kearney and Bowe, imo.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:17 am

Ireland

Kearney
Bowe
Earls

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by adambarney Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:33 am

foden is best full back in england but one i think will be better is antony watson, unbelievably fast he only 18 and jonny may but i think he might become a winger.
sharples on one wing and wade on other england will have quickest back 3 in world.

adambarney

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:38 am

Scotland:
11. Visser
14. Jones
15. Hogg

Bench: R Lamont

The Visser-Jones partnership has been one of the most dynamic in the Heineken Cup this season, and they've dramatically improved their defence since last year. It's a classic 'little and large' combo, and who also link up will with De Luca in the centres, when he's... on the pitch.

Hogg is pretty good under the high ball, attacks from deep where there's space, and has a pretty tidy boot. I'd like to see him bulk up and improve his tackling technique.

On the bench, we need someone who can cover full-back and wing. At the moment, that's Rory Lamont. I'm not particularly happy about that, as a tough bit of candy floss would chip his teeth, but there isn't really another candidate with the necessary skills and adaptability. Paterson would have been perfect...

This is, by all accounts, an exciting back three, and with an average age of 22 they could be around for a while
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:45 am

IanBru wrote:Scotland:
11. Visser
14. Jones
15. Hogg

Bench: R Lamont

The Visser-Jones partnership has been one of the most dynamic in the Heineken Cup this season, and they've dramatically improved their defence since last year. It's a classic 'little and large' combo, and who also link up will with De Luca in the centres, when he's... on the pitch.

Hogg is pretty good under the high ball, attacks from deep where there's space, and has a pretty tidy boot. I'd like to see him bulk up and improve his tackling technique.

On the bench, we need someone who can cover full-back and wing. At the moment, that's Rory Lamont. I'm not particularly happy about that, as a tough bit of candy floss would chip his teeth, but there isn't really another candidate with the necessary skills and adaptability. Paterson would have been perfect...

This is, by all accounts, an exciting back three, and with an average age of 22 they could be around for a while
+1

Think you've nailed it, Ian - depends slightly on if we move Ansbro to the wing, and with the current fashion for monster wings, it can't be too long before Jamie Farndale from the U20s gets a look in

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:53 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:England:

Foden
North
Cuthbert

Because of the amount of poaching going on they will have to make do with a bag of crisps and the Stevenage bypass or a combination equally as usueful in a game of rugby.

Yeah because George was sooooooooooooooo pround of the minute Englishness in him he decided to play for little old Wales, and a Welsh speaker Whistle to boot.
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by adambarney Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:56 am

wales need to thank england cause they would have no wingers otherwise.

adambarney

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:02 am

adambarney wrote:wales need to thank england cause they would have no wingers otherwise.

Okay we'll think about it, so long as you thank South Africa, NZ and Samoa first. Wink

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:11 am

Cardiff Taffy wrote:
adambarney wrote:wales need to thank england cause they would have no wingers otherwise.

Okay we'll think about it, so long as you thank South Africa, NZ and Samoa first. Wink

fair comment Taffy. But the world is a cosmoplitan place these days.
Esp London, with the World beating a path to our door. This nationality thing is always great for wumming, but it shows we are all cousins in our genes.
BTW: we thank you for developing Glos boy Ben Morgan and generously handing him back (ok, mild WUM).

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:12 am

Cardiff Taffy wrote:

Im not thanking them for Vanilkolo, theve been hopeless at supplying wingers.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:15 am

Cardiff Taffy wrote:

And of course we created a No8 for them as well, but what thanks do you get. thumbsup

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by adambarney Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:18 am

davies,north,cuthbert,lydiate,waburton(english fathers) there talent comes from the english blood.

adambarney

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:22 am

So there you go Wales, please let us sleep with your wives/sisters/daughters and in return we'll get you that world cup.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:24 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:So there you go Wales, please let us sleep with your wives/sisters/daughters and in return we'll get you that world cup.

That made me smile. +1

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:31 am

North, Cuthbert and Halfpenny have the best record in attack and defence. I'd say they are the best.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:32 am

Cardiff Taffy wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:So there you go Wales, please let us sleep with your wives/sisters/daughters and in return we'll get you that world cup.

That made me smile. +1

Really..?

It's a line touted permanently. Getting rather tiresome and detracts away from celebrating the performances of quality rugby players that this thread was intended to praise.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:03 am

Oh come come Maest since when have you been a grown up? It was a cheeky comment used to bring humour to the silly debate.

As you say the " but theyre x nationality" is a non argument.

I dont think anyones seriously suggesting that Wales dont have the best back 3 in the 6 nations, that their best settled unit isnt obvious, and that those players are Wales players.

Its not really a debate worth having, so lets go on and try and find some praise for the other countires units. Its pretty hard though! You could add France into that mix as well.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:04 am

Well first time I'd heard it and it made me laugh. Not sure how laughing at a light hearted comment detracts from the GS win.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:10 am

France have great players Bottin looked immense.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:13 am

maestegmafia wrote:France have great players Bottin looked immense.

Right they proabbly still have on paper the best squad and extended squad of any of the NH nations.

But what has that pool of talent bought to the table? What is their best back 3? What is their first choice combination? I think we have about as much of a clue on that as St Andre does.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:10 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Oh come come Maest since when have you been a grown up? It was a cheeky comment used to bring humour to the silly debate.

As you say the " but theyre x nationality" is a non argument.

I dont think anyones seriously suggesting that Wales dont have the best back 3 in the 6 nations, that their best settled unit isnt obvious, and that those players are Wales players.

Its not really a debate worth having, so lets go on and try and find some praise for the other countires units. Its pretty hard though! You could add France into that mix as well.

This is about finding out who are the best combinations of all four home unions, if they are unsettled and others should be called up then please give me your input.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:05 pm

Near impossible to say for England at the moment. Plenty of young promising talent emerging, but all very much untested.

With Ashton being so out of form I'd be tempted to give him the summer off and test:

Foden, Sharples & May with Joseph as the centre/wing impact on the bench.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:09 pm

well thus far it seems Wales is the only team where the selections of the coach and the posters agree upon. It seems they are therefor the only team settled in the back three.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by hugo124 Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:11 pm

15.barry john
14.tom fitzpatrick
11.niall brophy

hugo124

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 19 Mar 2012, 11:14 pm

hugo124 wrote:15.barry john
14.tom fitzpatrick
11.niall brophy

You're in the wrong century mate. Shocked
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 20 Mar 2012, 8:44 am

biltongbek wrote:
hugo124 wrote:15.barry john
14.tom fitzpatrick
11.niall brophy

You're in the wrong century mate. Shocked

Not only that Barry didnt tackle, so he would be an appalling full back.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 20 Mar 2012, 8:48 am

Ireland:

11 Luke Fitzgerald
14 Tommy Bowe
15 Rob Kearney
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Tue 20 Mar 2012, 8:25 pm

I think there are several players who might be used in the back 3 for Wales in the next 3 years, namely: Harold Robinson, who looks an outstanding talent, with great footwork; Morgan Stoddart, already established, and a great counter-attacking runner, but who had improved in the weaker areas of his game before he got his bad injury before the WC; Eli Walker, who I think will come on leaps and bounds now that he is getting regular game time; and maybe, just maybe, Hanno Dirksen, if he continues to develop; and Liam Williams, if he continues to develop. I also wouldn't rule out the likes of Hook and Henson (if the latter can escape his film and media commitments and get over his injuries, but that's a big "if").

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 20 Mar 2012, 8:59 pm

Woodstock wrote:

Foden
North
Cuthbert

Yeah because George was sooooooooooooooo pround of the minute Englishness in him he decided to play for little old Wales, and a Welsh speaker Best combination back three per home nation. 590675 to boot.

look dude he is a proud welshman- but he is more english than welsh or at most 50/50

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Tue 20 Mar 2012, 9:14 pm

Cowshot wrote:Strettle has about 50% of the team caps. This is still a side in the early stages of development and the back line is not yet fully functional.

You know he only had seven caps before this tournament?

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 20 Mar 2012, 9:16 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Woodstock wrote:

Foden
North
Cuthbert

Yeah because George was sooooooooooooooo pround of the minute Englishness in him he decided to play for little old Wales, and a Welsh speaker Best combination back three per home nation. 590675 to boot.

Mystir, Brad Barrit and Mauritz Botha is more South African than Engish, and yet they represent England. Whistle

look dude he is a proud welshman- but he is more english than welsh or at most 50/50
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by wasps Tue 20 Mar 2012, 9:57 pm

From an English perspective, you have to say that Foden and Ashton are currently 1st choice.
But I do agree with giving Ashton the Summer off... he hasn't been the player that he was a year ago, and maybe just needs a break.

When you think about it though, none of our team is really all that stable.
I'm not convinced that our centres will be the same for the next 12 months.

Our fly half started the 6N's in the centre, and neither of our scrum halves looked particularly good either.

So, for England, really only Foden is first choice and likely to stay there.... although Brown has had a great season.

wasps

Back to top Go down

Post by irfon17 Tue 20 Mar 2012, 10:42 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Woodstock wrote:

Foden
North
Cuthbert

His father is English, his mother is Welsh, he was born in England but has never lived there. He grew up in Anglesey speaking Welsh. I don't see how you can claim that he is more English than Welsh, hard to argue that it's even 50/50 unless you take genetics into account and nothing else.

In fact George North is as English as Josh Lewsey is Welsh i.e. not very.

irfon17

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 20 Mar 2012, 10:49 pm

irfon17 wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
Woodstock wrote:

Foden
North
Cuthbert

His father is English, his mother is Welsh, he was born in England but has never lived there. He grew up in Anglesey speaking Welsh. I don't see how you can claim that he is more English than Welsh, hard to argue that it's even 50/50 unless you take genetics into account and nothing else.

In fact George North is as English as Josh Lewsey is Welsh i.e. not very.

He isnt short, doesnt live in a coal mine, and Ive never seen him dressed as a daffodil.

Not Welsh.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down