The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

19 international class kiwi fly halfs: any ideas.

+9
Morgannwg
nganboy
formerly known as Sam
Bathite
gowales
LondonTiger
thebluesmancometh
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
blackcanelion
13 posters

Go down

19 international class kiwi fly halfs: any ideas. Empty 19 international class kiwi fly halfs: any ideas.

Post by blackcanelion Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:43 am

Aprrently we have 19 1st fives capable of challanging for the England team (http://talkingrugbyunion.co.uk/aviva-premiership/northern-hemisphere-getting-bashed-again). I'm guessing it's a bit of a urine take. However I am curious as to who they might be. Can anyone name 19 professional kiwi no. 10's:

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

19 international class kiwi fly halfs: any ideas. Empty Re: 19 international class kiwi fly halfs: any ideas.

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:53 am

blackcanelion wrote:Aprrently we have 19 1st fives capable of challanging for the England team (http://talkingrugbyunion.co.uk/aviva-premiership/northern-hemisphere-getting-bashed-again). I'm guessing it's a bit of a urine take. However I am curious as to who they might be. Can anyone name 19 professional kiwi no. 10's:

I read the orginal article, and they were counting Quade Cooper as a kiwi #10 Wink. And I'm sure it was 10 #10s not 19 Headscratch

At a guess,
Carter
Cooper Wink
Cruden
Slade
Evans
Sopoaga
Barrett
Bleyendahl
Anscombe
Mike Harris Wink
Hobbs
Berquist
Weepu
Donald
Delaney
Pisi

There's 16 "Kiwi" 10s of varying abilities. Anyone got 3 more? Headscratch

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

19 international class kiwi fly halfs: any ideas. Empty Re: 19 international class kiwi fly halfs: any ideas.

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:00 am

Kiwi

If thats off the top of your head thats pretty impressive!!!

But Harris? isn't he ozzy?
Cooper might be whatever he is but commited and can not challenge anything! Neither can Slade, Weepu, Donald, Cruden, Carter etc...

Lets go to semi proffesional, there are prob some who stand a chance at an England call up!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:06 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:Kiwi

If thats off the top of your head thats pretty impressive!!!

But Harris? isn't he ozzy?
Cooper might be whatever he is but commited and can not challenge anything! Neither can Slade, Weepu, Donald, Cruden, Carter etc...

Lets go to semi proffesional, there are prob some who stand a chance at an England call up!

That was off the top of my head - it helps that I did some research a few weeks back for my Super XV preview. The original article was talking about players talented enough to play for England, not qualified to play.

Harris is NZ-born, playing at the Reds. I suspect he's well on the way to being dual-qualified.

I forgot about Kirkpatrick at the 'Canes, and that bloke who got the sack from the Force for raiding his team-mates' lockers.
If I include utilities who've played 10
Toeava,
Lachie Munro,
Tom Taylor
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:09 am

Gopperth (sorry GeordieFalcon) and McAllister?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:10 am

LondonTiger wrote:Gopperth (sorry GeordieFalcon) and McAllister?

Nice work, I forgot them too.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:12 am

Oh and i am sure that Grant Fox and Andrew Merhtens could still make a passable living up her Wink

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:18 am

Foxy's getting on a bit (I still remember the day at Uni when I bumped into him in the hallway of my flat at 4am, he'd pulled my flatmate Shocked ). Mehrts is still playing 3rd division rugby in France though.

Carter
Cooper
Cruden
Slade
Evans
Sopoaga
Barrett
Bleyendahl
Anscombe
Mike Harris
McAllister
Hobbs
Berquist
Weepu
Donald
Delaney
Pisi
Goppeth
Munro
Kirkpatrick
Nacewa Wink
Toeava

are probably the top 22 "Kiwi" #10s playing professionally. While I don't think they'd all be challenging for England berths were they qualified most of them would slot pretty comfortably into teams in the Jeff

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:24 am

Oh talented enough to play...

Ben Blair is probably still in with a shout then Laugh

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:52 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:Oh talented enough to play...

I didn't know he'd ever played 10 Whistle
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:00 pm

Must be a urine take

Carter - world class
Cruden - maybe
Slade - maybe
Evans - world class
Sopoaga - nah
Barrett - very good
Bleyendahl - meh
Anscombe - very good
Mike Harris - ok
McAllister - very good 10 (world class 12)
Hobbs - crap
Berquist - crap
Weepu - crap (at 10)
Donald - meh
Delaney - crap
Pisi - crap
Goppeth - average aviva prem player
Munro - crap
Kirkpatrick - crap
Nacewa - bad 10
Toeava - bad 10

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:02 pm

Bowden?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:03 pm

Bathite wrote:Bowden?

I forgot about him too.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:04 pm

Funny thing about Bowden is he might well end up playing for England. But with Lancaster in charge i doubt he would pick him, which is a good thing IMO

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:07 pm

What about the old Blues 10 as well, who went to Japan? Can't remember his name, but was really flakey in defence

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:08 pm

Bathite wrote:What about the old Blues 10 as well, who went to Japan? Can't remember his name, but was really flakey in defence

Stephen Brett. Him I've been trying to forget Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:10 pm

I think Bowden has been signed to mainly play at 12 and cover 10. Tigers have Flood and Ford at 10 but only Allen at 12 (though Forsyth is coming through well). If Bowden starts to play regularly for England he may find that his Tigers contract is not renewed.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:11 pm

Bathite

Blues or Blues?

KRD

I've seen him cover the position every now and then, his conversion rate is up there with the best, out of hand excellent and an excellent runner ball in hand.

He might not have played 10 much but he has enough talent to play there for England Whistle

What about the ex Dragons 10, the current Japanese int 10, Arlidge, is he Kiwi or ozzy?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:18 pm

Auckland blues mate and the fella is Stephen Brett. I only count 3 or 4 that I'd have in an EPS squad though. Carter and Evans for sure, maybe Cruden and Slade, but not sure they are better options than Flood, Ford, Heathcote

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:21 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Bathite

Blues or Blues?

KRD

I've seen him cover the position every now and then, his conversion rate is up there with the best, out of hand excellent and an excellent runner ball in hand.

He might not have played 10 much but he has enough talent to play there for England Whistle

What about the ex Dragons 10, the current Japanese int 10, Arlidge, is he Kiwi or ozzy?

Arlidge is a Kiwi. Good provincial player, never really starred at Super Rugby level
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:22 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Bathite

Blues or Blues?

KRD

Not regularly though. Overall a very hit and miss kicker.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:25 pm

Ah Brett, did he go to Japan after? I didn't thoroughly hate him like a lot of people did.

Carter sails into TH let alone 10. Slade and Cruden definately, I disagree with Evans, he is decent but I don't see all the fuss. And yes I see him all the time.

On his Bath form I think Donald too.

Also for all the hype on Ford I think he's pretty ok. He's good at goal and out of hand but he is far from Floods ability at present, and the likes of Lambie puts him into perspective!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:26 pm

Got to give Arlidge credit for the WC though he was excellent.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 19 Mar 2012, 12:43 pm

Not so great for the Dragons though!

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:17 am

Tasesa Lavea - born in NZ played for under NZ 21s, played tests for the NZ league team and for Manu Samoa at the WC. Plays for Sale I think.

nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:33 am

Flutey is a good fly-half and has played for England. Surely he's the best candidate? Smile
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:57 am

Morgannwg wrote:Flutey is a good fly-half and has played for England. Surely he's the best candidate? Smile
laughing
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 20 Mar 2012, 12:59 am

Tony Brown.. have boots will travel/play
T.J.Perenara.Wellington.
Chris Noakes..Highlanders.

Didnt Mike Harris play last year for North harbour? where he shared the job with Frano's son.

Also the boy that got the sack from the Western Force for pinching his team mates wallets from the changing sheds a couple of months ago, he was in the outer Maori squad.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:07 am

I'm sure John Hayes could fill in at 10. He played in New Zealand once upon a time.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 20 Mar 2012, 1:30 am

Benji Marshall and James OConner might be useful. Pretty tenuous but I'll take them.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 20 Mar 2012, 8:28 am

Gopperth is getting a bit desperate given hes not even good enough for the worst team in the premiership

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 21 Mar 2012, 12:21 am

Perenara is a half back
Willy Ripia is the crim that got sent home in disgrace - he was also fairly hopeless.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 21 Mar 2012, 7:59 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:Oh talented enough to play...

I didn't know he'd ever played 10 Whistle

He has done when the regular n10 has been injured or binned in a game.

I remember it happening at least once - so that counts

You could do a lot worse at 10 than Blair (eg. Sam Norton Knight, Ceri Sweeney, Dan Parks) + Blair is a better kicker than most 10s.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down