The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ali - Why is he not the greatest?

+16
John Bloody Wayne
fearlessBamber
ArchBritishchris
Jimmy Stuart
88Chris05
Adam D
Rowley
Imperial Ghosty
coxy0001
azania
The Galveston Giant
HumanWindmill
Rodney
BALTIMORA
Scottrf
ADMIN
20 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ali - Why is he not the greatest? - Page 3 Empty Ali - Why is he not the greatest?

Post by ADMIN Tue 29 Mar 2011, 9:20 am

First topic message reminder :

I’m a casual boxing fan, I make no bones about that, though since the site started and you all moved over I’ve spent a lot more time reading the articles in this section.
One thing has particularly struck me (no it’s not D4’s infatuation with Manny or Hitmansam’s hatred of Calzaghe)

How there is a huge difference between the casual fan like myself’s perception of the greatest ever boxer and true boxing aficionados.
Why is it to the mainstream that Ali transcends all others even to the point of coming top in polls such as BBC greatest sportsman ever yet amongst his own he’s behind Sugar Ray Robinson in nearly every poll and Harry Greb and Henry Armstrong in the IBRO top twenty?

Is it purely down to how he used the media to his advantage, that his persona and character lifted him into popular culture?
Go gentle on me fellas.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Ali - Why is he not the greatest? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ali - Why is he not the greatest?

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 29 Mar 2011, 9:09 pm

I can see where your coming from one of my favourite fighters was Pernell Whittaker. But if your judging fighters power must come in to it but it isn't as important as being technically sound for me.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Ali - Why is he not the greatest? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ali - Why is he not the greatest?

Post by azania Tue 29 Mar 2011, 9:14 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:
azania wrote:
imperialghosty wrote:Still banging on about that then and fail to see why him not being a power puncher makes any difference

You would at least expect a top 3 P4P to have a decent dig.

I dno't want to get into the Saddler vs Pep one again we did that before. I see your point about punching power. Just out of interest where on your ATG list would you have Pernell Whittaker?

The 2 Sugar Rays are 1 and 2. Ali 3rd, Armstrong 4th, Duran 5. I wouldn't have pernell in the top 20 or Floyd for that matter.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 29 Mar 2011, 10:07 pm

Why would you have Whitaker outside the top 20?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 29 Mar 2011, 10:28 pm

imperialghosty wrote:Why would you have Whitaker outside the top 20?

There are better boxers ahead of him. I'd have Floyd ahead of PW.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 29 Mar 2011, 10:32 pm

Out of interest what is your top 20?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 29 Mar 2011, 10:36 pm

imperialghosty wrote:Out of interest what is your top 20?

It changed too often. All I can do is settle for a top 5. Names like Holmes would be in there, RJJ, Ezzard (yes you read right), Benny Leonard, Jack Johnson, Sal Sanchez (short career but what a fighter and probably shouldn't be in there but I give myself licence for actual talent and potential). Louis for what he achieved but on talent alone would not be in there. Hagler, Saddler and so many more.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Perfessor Albertus Lion V Wed 30 Mar 2011, 6:29 pm

azania wrote: Louis for what he achieved but on talent alone would not be in there.

~ Why sir, with all due respect to your moderating swagger, such nonsense cannot remain standing without being debunked and shipped over to China for reconstitution into something more useful, like a chopstick perhaps.

Mr Louis was Ring ranked by his 2nd year of boxing in spite of turning pro with a modest ama career background, and then Ring #1 by his 2nd year. Before winning the title he had completely obliterated, literally, 3 of the 4 former champs he faced, the murderous punching Baer, the monstrous man mountain Carnera, and the ever tricky Jack Sharkey, falling to only to Mr. Schmeling in his best ever form.

That in addition to a number of other contenders. There is no heavy in history close to that level of comp in his first 2 yrs.

Before 3 yrs were up, he was the champ scarcely a month after his 23rd birthday.

He avenged the Mr. S fight in spades in just his 3rd year of boxing in the biggest fight in history where the fate of the entire free world and humanity lay in his potent fists with his highlight demolition of the underrated Mr. S.

He stayed the champ for near 12 yrs, finally retiring after conquering several generations of heavies, and when he came back he was #1 contender until Mr. Rocky cracked him open at an advanced age.

Unlike the subject of the thread who has over a half dozen highly controversial and contested fights, Mr. L had very few controversies, all easily settled with highlight KOs in readily granted rematches.

Louis was one of the most talented, most naturally gifted fighters in history, and some would say he was tops, but then the flat earthers think Mr. Everest is just a molehill, so go figure where some get their opinions from.
Perfessor Albertus Lion V
Perfessor Albertus Lion V

https://www.606v2.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 6:40 pm

Perfessor Albertus Lion V wrote:
azania wrote: Louis for what he achieved but on talent alone would not be in there.

~ Why sir, with all due respect to your moderating swagger, such nonsense cannot remain standing without being debunked and shipped over to China for reconstitution into something more useful, like a chopstick perhaps.

Mr Louis was Ring ranked by his 2nd year of boxing in spite of turning pro with a modest ama career background, and then Ring #1 by his 2nd year. Before winning the title he had completely obliterated, literally, 3 of the 4 former champs he faced, the murderous punching Baer, the monstrous man mountain Carnera, and the ever tricky Jack Sharkey, falling to only to Mr. Schmeling in his best ever form.

That in addition to a number of other contenders. There is no heavy in history close to that level of comp in his first 2 yrs.

Before 3 yrs were up, he was the champ scarcely a month after his 23rd birthday.

He avenged the Mr. S fight in spades in just his 3rd year of boxing in the biggest fight in history where the fate of the entire free world and humanity lay in his potent fists with his highlight demolition of the underrated Mr. S.

He stayed the champ for near 12 yrs, finally retiring after conquering several generations of heavies, and when he came back he was #1 contender until Mr. Rocky cracked him open at an advanced age.

Unlike the subject of the thread who has over a half dozen highly controversial and contested fights, Mr. L had very few controversies, all easily settled with highlight KOs in readily granted rematches.

Louis was one of the most talented, most naturally gifted fighters in history, and some would say he was tops, but then the flat earthers think Mr. Everest is just a molehill, so go figure where some get their opinions from.

Mate. In English please.

I can name 10 heavies who would KTFO of Louis. More than 10 in fact. He benefitted from a weak era, a war which prolonged his reign and a bum every month practically.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 30 Mar 2011, 6:45 pm

I can name none

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 30 Mar 2011, 6:47 pm

azania wrote:Mate. In English please.

I can name 10 heavies who would KTFO of Louis. More than 10 in fact. He benefitted from a weak era, a war which prolonged his reign and a bum every month practically.

The most technically complete heavyweight of them all, with blistering handspeed, knockout wallop in either hand ; the most economical and efficient footwork, allowing him to cut off the ring better than any other heavy, including Foreman ; superb recuperative powers, and a record which includes as victims champs and/or HOFers in Schmeling, Sharkey, Carnera, Baer, Braddock, John Henry Lewis, Conn, Walcott, and a couple or three man mountains in Abe Simon, Buddy Baer, etc.

Louis would chop down today's lot without breaking sweat.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 6:52 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:

The most technically complete heavyweight of them all, with blistering handspeed, knockout wallop in either hand ; the most economical and efficient footwork, allowing him to cut off the ring better than any other heavy, including Foreman ; superb recuperative powers, and a record which includes as victims champs and/or HOFers in Schmeling, Sharkey, Carnera, Baer, Braddock, John Henry Lewis, Conn, Walcott, and a couple or three man mountains in Abe Simon, Buddy Baer, etc.

Ali
Holmes
Frazier
Foreman
Tyson
Vitali
Bowe
Holyfield
Witherspoon
Liston
Tubbs

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 30 Mar 2011, 6:53 pm

azania wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Ali
Holmes
Frazier
Foreman
Tyson
Vitali
Bowe
Holyfield
Witherspoon
Liston
Tubbs

Why have you posted your Christmas card list, mate ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 30 Mar 2011, 6:56 pm

I literally can not believe what I'm reading on this thread. Seriously. Tony Tubbs to 'KTFO' Joe Louis? Christ Almighty, you don't make it easy on yourself, Azania.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 30 Mar 2011, 6:56 pm

While Ali probably beats Louis, I doubt he knocks him out

Holmes, Frazier, Foreman and Liston aside I wont even dignify the rest of those names with a response.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 30 Mar 2011, 6:58 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I literally can not believe what I'm reading on this thread. Seriously. Tony Tubbs to 'KTFO' Joe Louis? Christ Almighty, you don't make it easy on yourself, Azania.

Things go better with Coca Cola.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:03 pm

88Chris05 wrote:I literally can not believe what I'm reading on this thread. Seriously. Tony Tubbs to 'KTFO' Joe Louis? Christ Almighty, you don't make it easy on yourself, Azania.

Louis had a serious wekness for fast heavies. Tubbs had the fastest hands I have ever seen in a heavyweight boxer. Pity his dedication was lacking.

Atom, Ali had a decent dig. If Schmelling could KO Louis, I fear for him when Ali connects with lightning combos.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:03 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:

Things go better with Coca Cola.

Jack Daniel and my good friend, Chivas.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:04 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:While Ali probably beats Louis, I doubt he knocks him out

Holmes, Frazier, Foreman and Liston aside I wont even dignify the rest of those names with a response.

Long may it continue Smile

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:06 pm

azania wrote:Louis had a serious wekness for fast heavies.

Which ones ? Do tell.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:09 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:

Which ones ? Do tell.

Think about it Windy, he can't have a weakness to something that didn't exist back then
They were all plodding face first brawlers, so any answer would be contradictory

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:11 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:

Which ones ? Do tell.

Sorry, that should read "fast LIGHT heavies".

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:12 pm

Erm Holmes and Holyfield anyone?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:12 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Which ones ? Do tell.

Think about it Windy, he can't have a weakness to something that didn't exist back then
They were all plodding face first brawlers, so any answer would be contradictory

That's an excellent point, Ghosty.

Silly me.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:16 pm

azania wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Which ones ? Do tell.

You mean ONE. Billy Conn. Whom Louis kayoed.

Well, that's an unshakable argument isn't it ?

You know, like Holmes was bothered by a rookie pro in Witherspoon and dumped on his backside by Snipes ; Ali, ( whom I love, by the way, ) upended by Cooper and Banks and stretched all the way by Jones ? Maybe Tubbs, fllattened in two by Tyson's combos, etc., etc., etc.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:20 pm

A hall of fame Light Heavyweight, rated among the top ten in a talent stacked division no less

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:27 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:Erm Holmes and Holyfield anyone?

What about them? Holmes had the best jab in heavyweight boxing history. Louis wouldn't go past 6 rounds with him. Holy would outwork him to a wide UD.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:30 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
azania wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Which ones ? Do tell.

You mean ONE. Billy Conn. Whom Louis kayoed.

Well, that's an unshakable argument isn't it ?

You know, like Holmes was bothered by a rookie pro in Witherspoon and dumped on his backside by Snipes ; Ali, ( whom I love, by the way, ) upended by Cooper and Banks and stretched all the way by Jones ? Maybe Tubbs, fllattened in two by Tyson's combos, etc., etc., etc.

Yep. That's what I mean. Witherspoon was a class operator. Messed up by King. Snipes was a genuine heavy. Louis would have stayed down had that punch connected on him. Tyson would have flattened Louis as he did Tubby whilst tubbs would have used his speed to negate whatever Louis had.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:30 pm

azania wrote:Holmes had the best jab in heavyweight boxing history. Louis wouldn't go past 6 rounds with him. Holy would outwork him to a wide UD.

And the world is flat, D4 likes Floyd, Santa Claus lives in a two bed semi in Milton Keynes, and Elton John is straight.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:31 pm

Well they both lost to Light Heavyweights so therefore must be complete garbage. If Holmes couldn't knock out an ageing Ali I doubt he knocks out a peak prime Louis who by definition must have been at his absolute best so therefore didn't have any weaknesses.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:32 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
azania wrote:Holmes had the best jab in heavyweight boxing history. Louis wouldn't go past 6 rounds with him. Holy would outwork him to a wide UD.

And the world is flat, D4 likes Floyd, Santa Claus lives in a two bed semi in Milton Keynes, and Elton John is straight.
Shocked

Which HW had a better jab that Holmes?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:33 pm

Liston by a country mile

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:35 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:Liston by a country mile

Matter of opinion which I disagree. Liston had a great jab though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:38 pm

azania wrote:Which HW had a better jab that Holmes?

That wasn't the thrust of my argument, but rather the ' lasting six rounds ' bit.

Holmes has a case for best jab, as does Liston, Louis, and possibly Johnson. Pinklon Thomas also had a terrific jab when he was ' on.' Each different, and each effective in its own way.

How many heavies beat Louis' combos for speed, accuracy and power ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:41 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:

That wasn't the thrust of my argument, but rather the ' lasting six rounds ' bit.

Holmes has a case for best jab, as does Liston, Louis, and possibly Johnson. Pinklon Thomas also had a terrific jab when he was ' on.' Each different, and each effective in its own way.

YOu are bound to be more accurate when hitting a punch bag.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:41 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:

According to Azania's posts the other day, any Heavyweight who reached their peak after WW2 apparently. Although he never got around to explaining why or how fighters went from being basic, face-first brawlers with no finesse and footwork to suddenly always being refined, supremely smooth and technical boxers with lightning speed and reflexes in the space of, say, three short years in the mid forties.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:45 pm

Listons jab could take opponents out, Holmes couldn't, he also became lazy in many fights and tended to paw it out with little conviction. It's easy to look good when your best win happens to be over Cooney or Witherspoon, neither of whom were world class.

Maidana/Khan is an intersting one, surely the stronger, faster and fitter one should win easily rather than being taken to hell and back by a face first brawler?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 7:56 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:Listons jab could take opponents out, Holmes couldn't, he also became lazy in many fights and tended to paw it out with little conviction. It's easy to look good when your best win happens to be over Cooney or Witherspoon, neither of whom were world class.

Maidana/Khan is an intersting one, surely the stronger, faster and fitter one should win easily rather than being taken to hell and back by a face first brawler?

That's an old cliche. Fiction dressed up as fact. He had a good jad but it wouldn't KO anyone. Its like saying that Watson KOd benn with a jab. Whilst he actually did, it was because Benn was already finished.

Boxer/brawler are always the best match-ups. Brawlers are not necessarily face first fighters. Take Duran for example. A class operator with excellent defensive skills. Rocky was your typical face first brawler. I'll add LaMotta, Basillio etc.

Holmes pawing out his jab was better that Louis at his best. Holmes' paw was better than Lennox's best jab also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 30 Mar 2011, 8:02 pm

azania wrote:That's an old cliche. Fiction dressed up as fact. He had a good jad but it wouldn't KO anyone. Its like saying that Watson KOd benn with a jab.

Erm, it's on film. First round kayo.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 30 Mar 2011, 8:04 pm

LaMotta and Basillio while having exceptional chins didn't clocked full bloodied very often, they used very subtle head movement to either avoid punches or negate their power, doesn't say a lot for Robinson that he lost to both now does it.

Now that's just a darn right lie, Holmes when he threw it with purpose had a great jab but when he pawed it was simply that a paw, Lewis' jab at it's best for very much the equal of Holmes. Listons stands above all others for me because he threw it with real menace and was piston like, he used it inflict damage not just to control things like Holmes.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 8:04 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
azania wrote:That's an old cliche. Fiction dressed up as fact. He had a good jad but it wouldn't KO anyone. Its like saying that Watson KOd benn with a jab.

It wasn't a jab per se.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 8:08 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:LaMotta and Basillio while having exceptional chins didn't clocked full bloodied very often, they used very subtle head movement to either avoid punches or negate their power, doesn't say a lot for Robinson that he lost to both now does it.

Now that's just a darn right lie, Holmes when he threw it with purpose had a great jab but when he pawed it was simply that a paw, Lewis' jab at it's best for very much the equal of Holmes. Listons stands above all others for me because he threw it with real menace and was piston like, he used it inflict damage not just to control things like Holmes.

I'm not going to argue too much about Liston's jab and Holmes's jab. They were both excellent and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of either.

Lennox's jab was never as good as Holmes's. Not even close.

SRR was best at welter. That has been my point always. At that weight he was unbeatable. When he moved up, he became beatable by strongmen. In that instance, strength beat skill (remember that)/ But SRR learnt from his mistakes and beat them over and over again. Reduced them to what they were. Skileld, but face first brawlers. Look at their face as evidence.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 30 Mar 2011, 8:11 pm

azania wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

It wasn't a jab per se.

Well, if you're going to get all scientific :

Statistically, how much harder to moderns hit , PER SE ? How much faster are they, PER SE ? How much better skilled, PER SE ?

C'mon, must be easy for you. This is SCIENCE ( PER SE ) so these things MUST have been measured, PER SE and proven PER SE.

Bring on the proof, Percy !

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 30 Mar 2011, 8:13 pm

Basillio WAS A WELTERWEIGHT, considering he was at the weight for longer it's fair to say that Robinson was the naturally bigger man in their fights, so how do you explain that?
He also adapted so well to Basillio he beat him via split decision and then decided never to face him again.

Is Cotto a face first brawler?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 8:15 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
azania wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

It wasn't a jab per se.

Well, if you're going to get all scientific :

Statistically, how much harder to moderns hit , PER SE ? How much faster are they, PER SE ? How much better skilled, PER SE ?

C'mon, must be easy for you. This is SCIENCE ( PER SE ) so these things MUST have been measured, PER SE and proven PER SE.

Bring on the proof, Percy !

Hang on there old chap. Liston is one serious boxer. He should have had the title years earlier but for boxing politics. I have total respect for his skills and is certainly one boxer who would destroy Louis without breaking sweat. But it wasn't a jab. It was a straight left not snapped out like a jab, but punched like a cross.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 30 Mar 2011, 8:23 pm

Of course Liston destroys Louis who retired a mere two year before Listons debut just because he has 'modern training' and without breaking sweat either, now that is impressive

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 8:27 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:Of course Liston destroys Louis who retired a mere two year before Listons debut just because he has 'modern training' and without breaking sweat either, now that is impressive

Nothing to do with modern training why Liston destroys Louis. Mainly because imo Liston was the better fighter.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 30 Mar 2011, 8:29 pm

Liston is the same era as Louis pretty much so must therefore lose to all these modern lot along with Ali?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 8:31 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:Liston is the same era as Louis pretty much so must therefore lose to all these modern lot along with Ali?

It doesn't matter what era he comes from. That is a debate you are having with yourself. He was just better than Louis. Boxing politics and the mob kept him from being an ATG top 10 imo. Plus Ali had a huge role also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 30 Mar 2011, 8:37 pm

Stylistically how does Liston beat Louis?

Also the fact he was well into his 30's by the time he reached top didn't help

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 30 Mar 2011, 8:39 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:Stylistically how does Liston beat Louis?

Also the fact he was well into his 30's by the time he reached top didn't help

Liston was the best for at least 3 years before he got the title shot. Politics.

Louis was slow on foot. Ponderous. He was over to the right over the top and succeptible to straight punches. Liston was also exceptionally strong and very cute when he heened to be. His punch powwer would overwhelm Louis.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next