The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ali - Why is he not the greatest?

+16
John Bloody Wayne
fearlessBamber
ArchBritishchris
Jimmy Stuart
88Chris05
Adam D
Rowley
Imperial Ghosty
coxy0001
azania
The Galveston Giant
HumanWindmill
Rodney
BALTIMORA
Scottrf
ADMIN
20 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Ali - Why is he not the greatest? - Page 4 Empty Ali - Why is he not the greatest?

Post by ADMIN Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

I’m a casual boxing fan, I make no bones about that, though since the site started and you all moved over I’ve spent a lot more time reading the articles in this section.
One thing has particularly struck me (no it’s not D4’s infatuation with Manny or Hitmansam’s hatred of Calzaghe)

How there is a huge difference between the casual fan like myself’s perception of the greatest ever boxer and true boxing aficionados.
Why is it to the mainstream that Ali transcends all others even to the point of coming top in polls such as BBC greatest sportsman ever yet amongst his own he’s behind Sugar Ray Robinson in nearly every poll and Harry Greb and Henry Armstrong in the IBRO top twenty?

Is it purely down to how he used the media to his advantage, that his persona and character lifted him into popular culture?
Go gentle on me fellas.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Ali - Why is he not the greatest? - Page 4 Empty Re: Ali - Why is he not the greatest?

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:47 am

So simple power puncher would be his undoing then, interesting

There was me thinking that strongmen don't do well in boxing

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Ali - Why is he not the greatest? - Page 4 Empty Re: Ali - Why is he not the greatest?

Post by azania Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:53 am

The Mighty Atom wrote:So simple power puncher would be his undoing then, interesting

There was me thinking that strongmen don't do well in boxing

Good grief. I suggest you read what I wrote again. If that's all I said and you claim you win the debate, then I celebrate your victory with you.

Happy days.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:55 am

But what you've done is highlight the weaknesses of a fighter you don't like and the strengths of another to guage an opinion, you've not considered the flipside of the argument. Remember its 'peak' vs 'peak' so weaknesses don't count Wink

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:56 am

The Mighty Atom wrote:But what you've done is highlight the weaknesses of a fighter you don't like and the strengths of another to guage an opinion, you've not considered the flipside of the argument. Remember its 'peak' vs 'peak' so weaknesses don't count Wink

At their very best every boxer has weakennes. Louis' weaknesses were glaring.

I think you miss the point of peak vs peak.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:59 am

So glaring your the only one who considers him so poor right?

I'm using the logic that Ali beats Frazier because he was untouchable at his peak despite the fact he was vulnerable to the left hook which was Fraziers main weapon but thats disregarded due to not being 'up' for it.

So I can apply the same logic as well surely?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:01 am

The Mighty Atom wrote:So glaring your the only one who considers him so poor right?

I'm using the logic that Ali beats Frazier because he was untouchable at his peak despite the fact he was vulnerable to the left hook which was Fraziers main weapon but thats disregarded due to not being 'up' for it.

Of course you can apply any logic. Generally when a boxer is facing a bigger threat, he ups his game. He took Cooper lightly in the manner he would never have done against Frazier. Simples.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:05 am

azania wrote:
The Mighty Atom wrote:So glaring your the only one who considers him so poor right?

Of course you can apply any logic. Generally when a boxer is facing a bigger threat, he ups his game. He took Cooper lightly in the manner he would never have done against Frazier. Simples.

It's commonly accepted that Louis took Schmeling lightly first time out, so does that mean you'll stop using that as a reason why Louis wouldn't survive in today's era?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:05 am

So can I assume that Louis would up his game against Liston and do what he always did and win?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:09 am

azania wrote:At their very best every boxer has weakennes. Louis' weaknesses were glaring.

He only used to glare during referee's instructions.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:12 am

88Chris05 wrote:
azania wrote:

It's commonly accepted that Louis took Schmeling lightly first time out, so does that mean you'll stop using that as a reason why Louis wouldn't survive in today's era?

I agree he took Sch lightly. He figures he would be another lumbering oaf (which he actually was). He paid the price for his error. I just believe that the names I mentioned were more skilled and better fighters than Louis who I dont rate that highly.

He is one of those guys (like Ali) in which you dont speak ill of. Its considered rude to put him down. Overrated, slow, plodding boxer with good hands I'll add, but not great.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:13 am

And again you show up your lack of knowledge

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:25 am

The Mighty Atom wrote:And again you show up your lack of knowledge

How?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:29 am

Every time you talk about any old timer, it's the same thing

slow... blah
plodding... blah
over rated... blah
blah blah blah

Your more boring than D4, at least he sticks to one person, you throw in a whole generations worth of boxers you know nothing about

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:32 am

The Mighty Atom wrote:Every time you talk about any old timer, it's the same thing

slow... blah
plodding... blah
over rated... blah
blah blah blah

Your more boring than D4, at least he sticks to one person, you throw in a whole generations worth of boxers you know nothing about

I know plenty about Mayweather.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:33 am

The Mighty Atom wrote:Every time you talk about any old timer, it's the same thing

slow... blah
plodding... blah
over rated... blah
blah blah blah

Predictable response.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:41 am

The thing is every thing you say about the old timers shows a lack of knowledge about them

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:41 am

The Mighty Atom wrote:The thing is every thing you say about the old timers shows a lack of knowledge about them

Thats a matter of opinion.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:43 am

It's not really an opinion when you don't know about them

I tend not to discuss things I have no knowledge of, I suggest you do the same

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:57 am

The Mighty Atom wrote:It's not really an opinion when you don't know about them

I tend not to discuss things I have no knowledge of, I suggest you do the same

Then I'd have nothing to say. Shocked

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:03 am

Don't mean this in an overly harsh way but you dont add anything to debates about the old timers, its the same thing always

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:18 am

The Mighty Atom wrote:Don't mean this in an overly harsh way but you dont add anything to debates about the old timers, its the same thing always

No worries. That's your opinion. Posts about old timers are now done out of humour. But my underlying opinion is always the same. These debates have made me look at more vids of them which, although I may have been unduly harsh on them, they have in fact cemented my views. I simply cannot see many, if any old timers beating any of today's finest. Not one.

As for Louis, my opinion of him is very low. As a man and as a boxer. As a man it probably clouds my views on him as a boxer, (I will not discuss that as it is mainly political and nowt to do with boxing).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:21 am

AZ you watched any Ken Buchanan yet?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:21 am

Then yout opinion is quite frankly worthless

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:22 am

The Mighty Atom wrote:Then yout opinion is quite frankly worthless

Well said. Yours should be cherished and never questioned as always. thumbsup

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:25 am

I'm not saying that but your never going to give a balanced opinion so whats the point giving one at all

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:28 am

The Mighty Atom wrote:I'm not saying that but your never going to give a balanced opinion so whats the point giving one at all

My opinions are balanced. Its just that they differ from yours and you dont like that. I have a strongly held view which I will maintain and no amount of name calling etc will change. Youtube is a wonderful source of material and I've probably burnt a hole in their system now.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:33 am

They aren't balanced in the slightest, you had an assumption that has no basis

Thing is I disagree with Chris, Windy and Jeff all the time but they thankfully back up their opinions rather than stating a boxers era as their biggest weakness, a rather pathetic argument on your part.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:38 am

The Mighty Atom wrote:They aren't balanced in the slightest, you had an assumption that has no basis

Thing is I disagree with Chris, Windy and Jeff all the time but they thankfully back up their opinions rather than stating a boxers era as their biggest weakness, a rather pathetic argument on your part.

I make my call on what I have seen. If that is baseless then you surprise me. You just dont like the way I back up my opinions. But thankfully that is your problem and not mine.

OK. I'll leave the last word to you.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:39 am

You have not yet backed up one opinion you've made

All of todays fighters can do what Burley could do was a major highlight

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4