The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cipriani signs 3 year deal with Sale

+13
LondonTiger
Jenifer McLadyboy
George Carlin
Geordie
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
propdavid_london
Portnoy
gowales
TrailApe
Mr Tom
formerly known as Sam
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
EnglishReign
17 posters

Go down

Cipriani signs 3 year deal with Sale Empty Cipriani signs 3 year deal with Sale

Post by EnglishReign Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:58 am

As title describes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17441993

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Cipriani signs 3 year deal with Sale Empty Re: Cipriani signs 3 year deal with Sale

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:07 am

"I am looking forward to playing with the likes of Andy Powell and Mark Cueto."

Aim for the moon kid

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Cipriani signs 3 year deal with Sale Empty Re: Cipriani signs 3 year deal with Sale

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:07 am

Good move for him and for Sale. I don't think for a second that they'll put up with any funny business from him so he's in for a lot of hard work and sensible living.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Tom Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:18 am

With first Richie Gray signing and now Cipriani nice to see as a Sale fan myself that we might finally be making a couple of steps forward.

Mr Tom

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:20 am

Tom you've had a good squad this season and done fairly well. A bit more selective rebuilding and Sale could be pushing the top 4 next season. Are Sale retaining Peel?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Tom Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:27 am

From all points of view looks like we’re trying to keep hold of him.

Strengthens our position knowing Gatland seems to really dislike him which helps and with Peel being 30 he might just choose to stick.

Just hope Kennedy doesn`t get too distracted with his Rangers ambitions now.

Mr Tom

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:28 am

Knowing the vagueness that some of our more southern fellow countymen show about the Northern English cities, Cips is probably thinking 'well I can't get into trouble up there - its supposed to be Grim'

Just wait until he's unleashed on the night life in Manchester.

It'll be like throwing a kid into a sweety shop.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:32 am

TrailApe he's more likely to blend in with the crowds up there though, in London where there's far more snappers he's easier to pick out when on the drinkies.

Peel at 9, that big centre pairing and Steve Diamond watching over him as coach should give Cips a good enviroment to perform and improve. Let's face it, would you want to be in Diamond's office explaining why the papers have a picture of you falling out of a night club when you were supposed to be at home resting?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:53 am

Do you reckon Henson would be a good signing? Doesn't look like Cardiff is going to offer him a contract extension even though he has been impressive when he has played.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:54 am

That's true FKAS, Manchester/Liverpool/Newcastle/Leeds all have an obsession with a different type of footballer. Mr Wilkinson could stroll down the main shopping drag in Newcastle and not get a seconnd glance, whilst any association football players were watched like hawks.

Carl Hayman used to raise a few eyebrows - but that was mainly the good folk of Newcastle wondering why a Bear was wandering around in the shops.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:18 am

gowales wrote:Do you reckon Henson would be a good signing? Doesn't look like Cardiff is going to offer him a contract extension even though he has been impressive when he has played.

Ideal solution. Get Henson, Cips and Danny Care whilst at it into the nurturing care of the rehab clinic that is Scallytown/Cheshire Set. Cipriani signs 3 year deal with Sale 848982
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:19 am

I've watched a few Rebels games and it's a good signing. He will be a great 10 in the Jeff, and with the signing of Gray, Sale look strong for next season.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:52 am

I was hoping that Cipriani would come back a revived and revitalised player.
But from what I've seen of the Rebels games, he is still pretty flakey.

I would have thought that he would like to give it another season playing with the likes of O'Conner and Beale.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:57 am

propdavid_london wrote:I was hoping that Cipriani would come back a revived and revitalised player.
But from what I've seen of the Rebels games, he is still pretty flakey.

I would have thought that he would like to give it another season playing with the likes of O'Conner and Beale.

Playing behind a pack that goes backwards as much as the Rebels one does can't be that much fun though
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:57 am

[quote="TrailApe"]That's true FKAS, Manchester/Liverpool/Newcastle/Leeds all have an obsession with a different type of footballer. Mr Wilkinson could stroll down the main shopping drag in Newcastle and not get a seconnd glance, whilst any association football players were watched like hawks.

Carl Hayman used to raise a few eyebrows - but that was mainly the good folk of Newcastle wondering why a Bear was wandering around in the shops.[/quote]

He used to come to the coast all the time...he loved his surfing...and I quite often got to chat with him. He was a man mountain but genuinely nice guy...and he used to get some looks walking through Tynemouth Laugh

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:00 pm

Heres the question...

Is Cipriani any better than...Farrell, Ford, Burns...who are younger and dare i say more mature and focused...?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:01 pm

I'd say hes better than Burns

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:09 pm

gowales wrote:I'd say hes better than Burns

Thus many may say that he is better than Ford...

Farrel is avery different type of player....who is better...and who is better for this current England set up...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:10 pm

Kiwi,
I thought that the Rebels had a pretty good scrum last season. It was one of their strengths with Somervill there.
I know that the pack looks pretty poor this season though.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:15 pm

Solid scrum but not dynamic around the park

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:23 pm

Thus many may say that he is better than Ford...

Farrel is avery different type of player....who is better...and who is better for this current England set up...

I'd say in playing style Ford is closer to Farrell. They both have that calm unflappable nature and a maturity beyond their years. Ford has the far superior passing and attack game but Farrell is far more developed physically and a much better tackler.

Burns and Cipriani are more alike in that both can play the tactical game but get bored of it quickly and like to attack ball in hand. They can both play 15 as well due to them both being rapid and being able to spot a gap. Burns seems more focussed and puts is body on the line more in defence. Unless Cips shows some real form I'd have all of them over him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:48 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
"I am looking forward to playing with the likes of Andy Powell and Mark Cueto."

Aim for the moon kid
Laugh Quite.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:52 pm

What is it with Sale? Patron saint of lost causes? Looking to rehabilitate "players who looked as if they might be world class but never were"

Buckley, Powell and now Cipriani. They may as well sign Henson while they are at it.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:28 pm

propdavid_london wrote:Kiwi,
I thought that the Rebels had a pretty good scrum last season. It was one of their strengths with Somervill there.
I know that the pack looks pretty poor this season though.

Cipriani topped the kicking metres stats in SXV last year, largely because most of the ball he got was in his own half - the Rebels pack was poor at the breakdown, and only Gareth Delve did much ball carrying. Cips was also 2nd to Quade Cooper on the missed tackle count.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:36 pm

Honestly?

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:57 pm

I think we all tend to allow Cipriani's persona (and agents manipulations) dominate our thinking. He may well always be an unfulfilled talent - but a talent he most definitely is

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:40 pm

I think we allow the fact he only ever put in one good performance for England to cloud our judgement of him. We tend to think of him as a flakey player who is prone to bad mistakes and brings discord to the squad.

You things like what actually happened.

Im not sure how he'll cope emotionally with being seperated from Cooper either.

Couldnt Sale afford Hensons wage demands?

Joking aside I hope he can become the player he threatened to be, but it will take a lot to win me over ( and you know how cynical I am!)
He doesnt exactly fit the bill as a new Lancaster boy, although he is good at doing the "positive self belief" BS in interviews.
There will be a lot of competition for him to get back in the EPS, he certainly wont be named in the initial squad this year. Id assume a big part in Sale being willing to risk taking him on is that he is very unlikely to be playing internationals at least in the short term

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by stlowe Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:05 pm

EnglishReign wrote:

Honestly?

Definitely not. The old Cipriani was comparable in certain ways to Burns, but Cipriani's running game (one of his best attributes) has disappeared over the last couple of seasons since his ankle injury. Also Burn's general game mangement is better than Cipriani's.

Flood, Farrell, Ford & Burns are all better options/prospects.

stlowe

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:22 am

but Cipriani's running game (one of his best attributes) has disappeared over the last couple of seasons since his ankle injury

Wasn't his first try for the Rebels a show and go he ran in from 50 odd metres? The issues he had in his first season were based around a pack going backwards (terrible tight five) and some pretty dodgey centres (Huxley couldn't catch let alone pass). The pace is still there and I think Sale will bring that out of him as they will get him some quality ball to work with.

It's all about improving that defence and getting him to show some aggression.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:40 am

The analysts (nearly) always get the predictable player styles sussed.

Ashton, Tuppence, Jason Robinson -even Jonah.

It's the unpredictable, rare few like Bod and Shane that cause a quandary.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:39 am

True, but it is the great players that keep evolving and improving as well. It is a good sign of a player when they add to their game. Think how Robinson, Cueto and Foden have really worked on their kicking game, where as someone like Sackey and Varndell didn't really seem to improve and hence got dropped.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:40 am

Interesting that Cockerill has come out and said Tigers had a look at the availability of Cipriani but decided "he wasn't right for us". Whether that was financially (strongly suspect it might have been) or personality wise I don't know. Maybe he had in mind Cipriani playing the Murphy full back and secondary play maker role (which could have been good) and Cips wanted the ten shirt.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by stlowe Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:36 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
but Cipriani's running game (one of his best attributes) has disappeared over the last couple of seasons since his ankle injury

Wasn't his first try for the Rebels a show and go he ran in from 50 odd metres? The issues he had in his first season were based around a pack going backwards (terrible tight five) and some pretty dodgey centres (Huxley couldn't catch let alone pass). The pace is still there and I think Sale will bring that out of him as they will get him some quality ball to work with.

It's all about improving that defence and getting him to show some aggression.

His only try. Yes, it was a decent effort, though the gap he went through was pretty accomodating and part of that was because no one was expecting him to run with the ball. If you listen to the commentary on it the guys actually say they've never seen him run more than a few metres and didn't know he could do it.

What he used to do well was threaten the line and frequently suggest he might do something with ball in hand. This season and last he's just not interested in doing that, he kicks or passes and seems to avoid taking the ball to the line and creating something at all costs. There are better kick & pass FH options, our use for him would be his old running game, which he will have spent two years not utilising, or has left him altogether.

If he comes back to England and shows signs of that style of play again at Sale, then he could well be in the running. My personal opinion is that that old player has gone and that Burns does that style of play better.

stlowe

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:24 am

If you listen to the commentary on it the guys actually say they've never seen him run more than a few metres and didn't know he could do it.

It was in the first few games though so it's not a suprise the commentary team were taken by suprise. I agree that I'd have Burns over Cips at the minute but I don't think Cips attacking mojo is gone just that he's struggling behind a beaten pack and that he is a confidence player that needs looking after. Perhaps the Rebels aren't the right place for that. Cipriani worked best at Wasps when Geech was there to put an arm round him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:58 am

[quote="formerly known as Sam"]
Cipriani worked best at Wasps when Geech was there to put an arm round him.

And before he started to believe his own hype. Those 2 seasons at FB and FH for Wasps he was sensational.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:23 pm

Before his agents convinced him that he didn't need to remember his modest upbringings and the hard work his mum put in to help get him into professional rugby etc etc. Yes, those 2 seasons were what created the image he's still living off today. I think he's still the youngest HEC winner.

The talent is there it just needs the right enviroment to get it out. It may take a lot of work but it could be worth it, then again it could be a complete waste of time and money. Sale have chosen to gamble and give it a go.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:28 pm

Played against him when he was 16, he was silly good then, playing for England U18s (i wasn't, it was a school game!)

Last edited by Bathite on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:29 pm

Bathite wrote:Played against him when he was 1, he was silly good then, playing for England U18s (i wasn't, it was a school game!)

Erm he played at 1? He must be really good, I couldn't even run then! Wink
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:35 pm

Whoops, corrected that now!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:59 pm

If Cips is such a prima donna that he needs mollycoddling on and off the pitch he has no place in an England side and good luck to Sale in their attempt to get their money's worth out of him. Tender 10s are a liability and for me they would have to be able to pull something pretty spectacular out on a regular basis if they are to have any value. I don't have a very high opinion of him (who'd have thought it) and I am totally unconvinced he's got international potential. Don't like big egos that can't back it up when playing.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stlowe Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:18 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:I don't think Cips attacking mojo is gone just that he's struggling behind a beaten pack and that he is a confidence player that needs looking after.

I don't buy that as the full explanation. Players who are inclined to run with the ball will still try to do that with some frequency even if circumstances aren't always optimum. I watch a decent chunk of Super Rugby games and last season and what has passed of this he's just not been interested in giving his footwork or running a chance. The Rebels aren't always on the backfoot and when it has been on he relies exclusively on his pass and his boot. And his performance for the Barbarians suggests that isn't just a function of being at the Rebels.

I think that when he comes to Sale his invention will continue to be with his passing and kicking rather than his running game. I'm not saying that won't be effective, just that I don't believe the style of play we saw from Cipriani a few years back will be on display again.

stlowe

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:49 pm

He had a bloody good game today until he was subbed off for injury.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down