The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quigg v Munroe

+9
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
88Chris05
SuperCert
OasisBFC
Pound-for-Pound
two_tone
TRUSSMAN66
RANDY77
manos de piedra
13 posters

Go down

Quigg v Munroe Empty Quigg v Munroe

Post by manos de piedra Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:57 am

I saw on Ringside that Hatton promotions have announced this fight has been made for June and will be for the interim WBA title. I think most people expected Frampton v Quigg this year but Munroe is the most established of the three and has fought at world level before. I think its a good fight but the only potential drawback would be if Quigg wins we may not see him in with Frampton if he decides to push for world honours. How do people see it going? Will Munroe be too experienced for Quigg or is the time right for Quigg to usurp the position as Britains number 1 SBW?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Quigg v Munroe Empty Re: Quigg v Munroe

Post by RANDY77 Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:06 am

Hatton Promotions seamed far less interested in the Frampton fight than Hearn did..

For what its worth I think Quigg has too much for Frampton and Munroe at this time, and can see a huge future ahead of him.

RANDY77

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:33 am

What a good fight while we wait for the Frampton encounter...

You know there is something about Munroe I don't like....

Always seems up his own backside..which is okay but not for a guy who's less than world class and doesn't know it!!

"Man needs to know his limitations" - Dirty Harry...

However he's cagey and has some tricks and will provide a real test for Quigg who I think has limitations.....

Not interested in the silly belt on offer but looking forward to a interesting fight..

Quigg by late stoppage!!!!!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:39 am

Dont really think someone coming from a humble background such as Munroe and continues to work as a bin man is up his backside as you put it. Each to their own but think he is pretty grounded from what I have seen of him.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:46 am

Isn't Munroe being sold a bit short here?

HHis only loss is to the best in the division (or he was at the time) who i can bet if you put in with Jamie Arthur wouldn't find himself on the canvas and outboxed at times.

Quigg's last fight showed his lack of ability to box on the back foot. If munroe finds he can't outbox Quigg he'll just do what he always does and use his superior size to outmuscle Quigg and force him back.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:50 am

I don't see Munroe out-muscling him....

Think speed may be a big issue and youth....

Quigg has both but hey maybe I have sold him a little short...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:12 am

He proved too strong for Martinez, outmuscled and overpowered Terrazas (who recently beat Fernando Montiel) and forced Nishioka into fighting in the back foot albeit to great effect but even he admitted it was because of Munroe's strength and size. Quigg hasn't shown me anything that would make me think he could cope with Munroe's physicality.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:16 am

It was great on sky sports after Frampton fought and they were trying to get under Quigg's skin by telling him to step up and stop ducking. They obviously had no idea Quigg had signed to fight a higher rated fighter in Monroe.

And they said they'd sent an offer to Hatton for the fight. Hatton's matchmakers confirmed they had NOT received any offer and would fight Frampton once he'd stepped up in class.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperCert Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:36 pm

I'd take Quigg's extra hunger to pull him through here. Both would probably beat Frampton IMO, though it's hard to judge as Frampton has even had a remotely difficult test yet.

SuperCert

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Talk of Frampton beating Quigg is far too premature, for me. I think Quigg would likely stop him at this stage. Naturally, he and Hearn are going to make noise about it with one eye on future ticket sales, but I doubt in their heart of hearts they'd want the fight right now.

Quigg-Munroe is an excellent fight, and I'm impressed with the two of them for going at it, as they both have a lot on the line. Quigg usually looks the much bigger man than his opponent at 122 lb, so it'll be interesting to see how he copes with someone as strong at the weight as Rendall is. I still think Quigg is the better technician, though still a little bit wet behind the ears.

I see Quigg winning a hard-fought decision here.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:14 pm

Frampton for me all the way.

He seems the more level headed of the two and classier in picking his shots.

With over 140 amateur fights he has more of a skillset than Quigg.

Quigg's game so far has consisted of hunting his man down which he is excellent at. He tried to box against Arthur and ended up on his face. So had to resort to his original style.

What happens when hunting his man down doesnt work?? He hasn't got anything else in his armoury to suggest he can get out of jail.

On the other hand, I belief Frampton can fight just like Quigg, counter about 10 times better and fight agressively on the backfoot. More dimensions to Frampton in my opinion and after the Arthur fight, Quiggs camp would be well aware of that.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:44 pm

What has background got to do with anything???

Wish people would stop taking me out of context...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:03 pm

I love watching Munroe. No idea why I just love it. I probably buy into the boxing binman thing too much but nevertheless he is #1 in the division and rightly so. He didn't look out of place against Nishioka despite the scoreline.

Frampton wants Quigg. For me Quigg (you can see it in his Gallaghers gym eyes) doesn't want Frampton. He just doesn't. Styles make fights and he fancies beating Munroe but just not Frampton.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:09 pm

King is right. Frampton doesn't care about learning or making sure he is developed properly, he just wants to be champion asap. Quigg seems a bit more reluctant to jump in at the moment, just because I believe Frampton is ahead of him and he knows it - but in a year or so, this will be a massive fight both guys want.

Provided Quigg goes through Munroe, which lets be honest - isn't going to be easy.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:12 pm

I think that he appreciates where he has come from to what he has now which in my opinion does not make him to be "up his own backside". It's fairly simple really. What has led you to think he is up himself?

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:34 pm

I love it that I get referred to as King on here. Not Monkey. It's great.

Frampton is hungry, that's my take. And honestly, he looks like he has the tools. But Quigg has beat Booth, Arthur and hopefully Munroe (despite liking Rendall). That CV smashes Frampton's out of the ground.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:35 pm

Decent fight this, and fair play to both for taking it. Munroe is decent and very experienced but I do have a sneaking suspicion this could be a case of Quigg catching him at just around the right time, would not read too much into Quigg going over last time round because Munroe is not a huge puncher. Think Munroe can sometimes take a while to get going in fights so if Quigg can start quick me may be able to build a decent lead and make Munroe feel every year of his age, tough one to call but think youth will be served and Quigg will come through a tough one with the decision.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:07 pm

I see Frampton as fundamentally the more fearsome proposition at this time, Quigg has beaten better opposition, however Frampton seems to just be the more hungry.

Like you say King - if he beats Munroe it sets up a great domestic fight in a year or so, but right now theres not going to be much buzz outside of the boxing community due to it being one of the more overlooked weights.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:35 pm

I think Monroe is vastly under-rated in this one and Monroe gets stronger as the fight goes on.

Monroe will know there's no where to go if he loses this one and I think he'll edge it on points.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down