The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6N Man of the Tournament

3 posters

Go down

6N Man of the Tournament Empty 6N Man of the Tournament

Post by wickedwasp Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:05 am

Interesting article here from the Irish Times

The folly of using man-of-the-match awards as the basis for the official RBS Six Nations player of the championship award was laid bare this afternoon as a shortlist that will have fans scratching their heads was released.

“All players recognised by the relevant television host broadcaster as man-of-the-match during the first four weekends of the championship were automatically placed in contention for the prestigious award,” trumpeted the official press release. What it failed to add is that by using said criteria the organisers have overlooked those players who have displayed consistent excellence over the course of the championship.

Four Welsh players have made the cut which, considering they are chasing a Grand Slam is fair enough. Dan Lydiate, Alex Cuthbert and Mike Philips could all have reasonable claims after solid performances but Sam Warburton? The Welsh skipper has only played in two of the four matches and lasted just 40 minutes in one of those! Super Sam was pretty impressive against England but one swallow does not make a summer.

Scotland, who must win in Rome at the weekend to avoid the wooden spoon have two contenders (David Denton and Ross Rennie) while second-placed England have . . . well, none. Go figure.

As for Ireland, well we have two names on the shortlist but certainly not the ones you’d expect. Surely Tommy Bowe, just one try away from an all-time Six Nations record, makes the grade? Eh, no. Nor does Stephen Ferris, the stand-out Irish player over the first four weekends, or even Rob Kearney who is back looking like the Lion he once was.

Instead, fans will be asked to choose Jonathon Sexton or Donnacha Ryan. Without being unkind, both would struggle to make it onto an Irish player of the tournament shortlist, again making a mockery of the whole process.

Time for a rethink.

For the record, here’s the shortlist in full.

Wales
Sam Warburton, Dan Lydiate, Alex Cuthbert and Mike Philips

France
Julien Malzieu, Yoann Maestri and Imanol Harinordoquy

Ireland
Jonathan Sexton and Donnacha Ryan

Scotland
David Denton and Ross Rennie

Italy
Sergio Parisse

England
None

I must admit, I tend to agree. And, before anyone starts in, Lydiate was immense & I can't think of an England player I'd put in the mix. But some of those choices are odd.

Thoughts anyone?

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

6N Man of the Tournament Empty Re: 6N Man of the Tournament

Post by wickedwasp Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:37 am

Well I thought it was interesting............................. Crying or Very sad

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:50 am

Happy With Lydiate really I think....!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:55 am

Not unhappy with Lydiate at all. I just think he has a point - shouldn't other players also get a look in.

Otherwise, it's determined to a large extent by host pundits.

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Lydiate for me sans doute. Followed by Parisse and Harinordoquy

But the choice of host TV companies is rubbish.

I'd prefer either a press or player or a mixture of the two.

Or maybe coaches (who are not allowed to vote for their own players).
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:20 pm

The Article i just posted says Heaslip, Barclay and Foden vote george north as the best, Jamie Roberts say Dan Lydiate

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down