The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Regions are paying over a £1 Million to player agents per year...!

+8
LondonTiger
formerly known as Sam
Impossible Standards
offload
Casartelli
nathan
Cymroglan
maestegmafia
12 posters

Go down

Regions are paying over a £1 Million to player agents per year...! Empty Regions are paying over a £1 Million to player agents per year...!

Post by maestegmafia Sun 25 Mar 2012, 3:22 pm

This is just a rumour but I have heard it, read it and understand it will be a key part of the Price Waterhouse Coopers findings of their accounting overview for the WRU.

If this is the case it is ridiculous. Part of the game we do not need. That is money leaving rugby and entering the pockets of middle men that often are causing more problems than benefits.

I don't doubt that it is a sole problem in Wales, it probably effects the game across the board. But what a waste.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Regions are paying over a £1 Million to player agents per year...! Empty Re: Regions are paying over a £1 Million to player agents per year...!

Post by Cymroglan Sun 25 Mar 2012, 3:26 pm

Derwyn Jones puts his wallet before his country.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Regions are paying over a £1 Million to player agents per year...! Empty Re: Regions are paying over a £1 Million to player agents per year...!

Post by maestegmafia Sun 25 Mar 2012, 3:29 pm

Cymroglan wrote:Derwyn Jones puts his wallet before his country.

He is not the only agent, there are plenty of others.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 25 Mar 2012, 3:34 pm

Yes there are but Derwyn is a talent scout for other countries that's why I said he puts his wallet before his own country.
What makes it worse is the fact he is a ex Welsh international.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 25 Mar 2012, 3:47 pm

Cymroglan wrote:Yes there are but Derwyn is a talent scout for other countries that's why I said he puts his wallet before his own country.

He was hardly Delme Thomas.

Not condoning his way of earning a living whatsoever.

I don't see the benefit of agents, I don't see them doing anything other than making rugby less financially efficient. In business I have never worked with a recruitment company, they are parasites. You advertise a job, people apply and the best man or lady gets the job.

Rugby is no different, a player can contact a club, contact any clubs and offer their services, they do a trial and either are selected or not.

Why do we need players agents?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 25 Mar 2012, 3:55 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Cymroglan wrote:Yes there are but Derwyn is a talent scout for other countries that's why I said he puts his wallet before his own country.

He was hardly Delme Thomas.

Not condoning his way of earning a living whatsoever.

I don't see the benefit of agents, I don't see them doing anything other than making rugby less financially efficient. In business I have never worked with a recruitment company, they are parasites. You advertise a job, people apply and the best man or lady gets the job.

Rugby is no different, a player can contact a club, contact any clubs and offer their services, they do a trial and either are selected or not.

Why do we need players agents?

So they can get the best deal possible for the players. No offence but comparing your own career with a professional sportsman is a bit different!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 25 Mar 2012, 4:11 pm

nathan wrote:
So they can get the best deal possible for the players.

And escalate the costs of rugby....!!!

If the players cost more, do we get better rugby?

NO...!!!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 25 Mar 2012, 4:14 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
nathan wrote:

NO...!!!

lol, maybe not. But it's the players job, it's a short career. So they want the best deal for themselves.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun 25 Mar 2012, 4:17 pm

It's a professional sport now - even in Wales - so agents and agents' fees are inevitable.

Of all the issues affecting Welsh rugby/regions/superclubs - this is the least important.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 25 Mar 2012, 4:23 pm

nathan wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
nathan wrote:

NO...!!!

lol, maybe not. But it's the players job, it's a short career. So they want the best deal for themselves.

They make plenty of money playing rugby, enough to be worrying most club treasurers for the future of their club. Players may want more, but can Rugby afford it....?

The agents are still not providing anything positive for rugby...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 25 Mar 2012, 8:03 pm

When you combine the length of the playing career, the effect it has on the body. It doesn't work out to be plenty of money.

its only the welsh clubs that seem to be struggling so id sort that before starting on the players.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 26 Mar 2012, 9:06 am

nathan wrote:When you combine the length of the playing career, the effect it has on the body. It doesn't work out to be plenty of money.

its only the welsh clubs that seem to be struggling so id sort that before starting on the players.

Sort what?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 26 Mar 2012, 9:34 am

Whether we like it or not (and I don't) agenst who represent players is part of professional sport. They offer the players something (expertise, time, legal support, negotiation skills, whatever etc) that they don't feel they have. Yes it's money lost to rugby but won't go away.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:11 am

In Wales it is likely to be one of the findings by PWCs that the regions are over spending on.

It is likely that as a result the WRU will make amends and restrict agent fees. It would be great to think that Rugby the world over would take such an obvious step too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:22 am

It is likely that as a result the WRU will make amends and restrict agent fees. It would be great to think that Rugby the world over would take such an obvious step too

Didn't they come to an arrangement over this a while back. I remember reading something about this a couple of years ago.

I agree with you Maesteg, agencies are parasites in regards to professionals, as they don't care about who gets a job as long as they get commission. It's not a pro active system. I do kind of agree with you in terms of the amount money being spent on fees in pro sport but as mentioned they do provide another service that the players require. Support, legal advice, contract advice etc...
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:57 am

Agents don't just try and drag the most money out of a deal as possible. For some clubs they are also additional talent scouts. For instance Richard Cockerill had injuries to props and was facing call ups for two more of them ahead of the 6N. An agent he knew well (Freddie Tuilagi) called him up in December and said "I've got a raw prop you should have a look at", Cockers agreed to a trial. Mulipola showed up well on his trial and now has a deal to the end of the season with talks on going for him to stay for a couple of years after that.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 26 Mar 2012, 1:00 pm

There are good and bad agents in all sports. Sam talks about Freddie T above. A good agent looks at the long term rather than just trying to make a quick buck - and while aiming to get the best for their client acknowledge that this also involves the club getting benefits.

Admittedly the prime examples of good agents are in individual sports such as golf (Chubby chandler) - but not restricted to these sports.

In the end unscupulous agents thrive when there are unscrupulous (or money laden) clubs.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 26 Mar 2012, 2:14 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Agents don't just try and drag the most money out of a deal as possible. For some clubs they are also additional talent scouts. For instance Richard Cockerill had injuries to props and was facing call ups for two more of them ahead of the 6N. An agent he knew well (Freddie Tuilagi) called him up in December and said "I've got a raw prop you should have a look at", Cockers agreed to a trial. Mulipola showed up well on his trial and now has a deal to the end of the season with talks on going for him to stay for a couple of years after that.

To be fair it sounds like Mulipola's agent did a good job for him. If you were hiring an agent you'd look for someone who could get you breaks like this.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 26 Mar 2012, 2:25 pm

It worked out for everyone. Freddie placed a client, Mulipola got valuable scrum coaching and a contract with a top English club and the club got a prop that can play either side equally well at a time when they badly needed some tighthead cover.

Good agents are invaluable. It's the not so good ones that the IRB need to clamp down on. Are agents licenced as they are in football (mind you a FIFA licence means nothing),

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 26 Mar 2012, 5:50 pm

It is important for people to have representation and have someone look out for their interests, you only have to look at football to see how players were abused for many years before agents and the Bosman ruling came into force.

Though I will say I was part of a convoy of vehicles that went to the agent who basically represents most of the best Welsh players. We went to do work on his house in the lanes near Llantrisant and his property was simply amazing. Several seperate houses, and miles and miles of fields all around it. He gave us the grand tour and it was frightening how much he must be making to afford something like that. It was a massive property to be honest. He was a nice host and gave us the grand tour, I jokingly pointed out that one particular area would be good for a pool, and he answered "na I'm building the pool over there!" pointing to a patch of grass. I was joking, he wasn't! Erm

Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 28 Mar 2012, 12:40 am

Derwyn the player agent is paid to punt for S4C.
Welsh rugby is great isn't it? How wonderful.
French Top14 for me next season.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed 28 Mar 2012, 5:48 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:Derwyn the player agent is paid to punt for S4C.
Welsh rugby is great isn't it? How wonderful.
French Top14 for me next season.

Top 14, Aviva Prem, Super rugby. Take your pick they're all better to watch

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down