The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Showtime v HBO

+3
Valero's Conscience
JabMachineMK2
Seanusarrilius
7 posters

Go down

Showtime v HBO Empty Showtime v HBO

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 27 Mar 2012, 3:11 pm

Just been listening to Tarver on Eastside boxing (last weeks episode) and he talks about Showtime a little. He says Showtime favour no fighters and call it how they see it, which I agree with. Got me thinking.

Who is better for Boxing. Showtime or HBO?

Lots to consider, such as - Who can promote the sport to a wider audience? Who puts on better events? Presents better? Is more innovative in terms of new Docs, series etc? , Commentary, bias, even match ups ...

For me, right now, it's Showtime.

Far better and more neutral commentary team. They actually point out the bad decisions and will question fighters far more hoenstly than HBO in the ring. Generally they seem to have less of an agenda.

HBO got them in terms of innovation, but if the price we pay is their recent performances in terms of bias and not calling out officials & judges if it doesn't suit their agenda.

How do you guys think they compare?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Showtime v HBO Empty Re: Showtime v HBO

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 27 Mar 2012, 3:34 pm

Oh come on! Not an opinion in sight? Haha

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:13 pm

Larry Merchant ruins HBO. Every time he opens his mouth, I want to slam my hand through my free stream that I don't pay for and have no right having.

Its people like him that make me not pay for boxing because its painful to sit through as they favour certain boxers despite whats happening infront of them.

Like Jim Watt.

Hate him too.

Showtime is by far the better channel. I'd pay for that.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:16 pm

Agree with Showtime, haven't seen as many fights covered by them as HBO but from what I have seen I prefer Showtime.

Larry Merchant irritate's me and besides of whether you like him or not, he's way too old for it now.

I really liked Showtime's 360 coverage of the Super 6 as well and preferred it to 24/7 albeit I still enjoy 24/7.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:17 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Larry Merchant ruins HBO. Every time he opens his mouth, I want to slam my hand through my free stream that I don't pay for and have no right having.

Its people like him that make me not pay for boxing because its painful to sit through as they favour certain boxers despite whats happening infront of them.

Like Jim Watt.

Hate him too.

Showtime is by far the better channel. I'd pay for that.
'
Hahaha

Merchant is no longer good with the post fight in ring stuff. He is also way to bitter now. Jim Watt is so negative it is unreal.

For me, what Showtime gve you over HBO is unbiased commentary and they show actual annoyance at terrible decisions - HBO will skirt over anything that a "attraction" does but then slate other fighters like Martinez for having a tough fight against a decent opponent.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:18 pm

One thing that none of the American networks do is hang around after a fight. They literally sum up and sign off about two minutes after they interview the fighters. Sometimes i want a bit of "back to the studio" type assessment. Don't get that with the states coverage

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:22 pm

HBO are money grabbers. Showtime want entertainment.

Its night and day. HBO will show garbage if it makes money, and great fighters don't get the respect they deserve as they're looked upon for cash potential. Martinez is getting older so he's not seen as a cash cow.

Showtime just want the best to fight the best. Super 6 in my mind was one of the best things to happen in Boxing for a very long time.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:28 pm

Well put. Have HBO always been this transparently biased and money orientated? Or is it just in recent years with the decline in boxings popularity?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 27 Mar 2012, 4:32 pm

They want controversy at the same time as lots and lots of money. Mayweather nets them insane amounts of money so Larry Merchant aside, they love him. I suppose its boxings decline in popularity that has made this happen - they want to make as much money as possible while its still PPV rather than generate interest again, they're in for the quick buck.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:16 pm

Prefer the whole HBO build up and general presentation, I'm probably in a minority here but I like Harold Lederman as well. The HBO bias is annoying but I can ignore that and judge fights and fighters myself while still enjoying the general look and feel of their broadcast.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:21 pm

No way, HBO all the way.

I like the way they questioned Chavez Junior about drink driving 2 weeks before his fight. I liked the way Harold Letterman scored the Pac vs Marquez fight too.

It was such a great day, the pigs where struming harps in the clouds and jesus called into my house for a rave and shared his thoughts with me regarding the devil trying to get it on with Hitlers mum.........wait, think that may have been a dream......and whats even more concerning is it was a wet one!!!!! Erm
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:46 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:No way, HBO all the way.

I like the way they questioned Chavez Junior about drink driving 2 weeks before his fight. I liked the way Harold Letterman scored the Pac vs Marquez fight too.

It was such a great day, the pigs where struming harps in the clouds and jesus called into my house for a rave and shared his thoughts with me regarding the devil trying to get it on with Hitlers mum.........wait, think that may have been a dream......and whats even more concerning is it was a wet one!!!!! Erm

Hhahahahahahahaha

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:48 pm

HBO make the Sopranos, Boradwalk Empire and Curb Your Enthusiasm which pretty much gives them the edge for me, although I have been enjoying Homeland which I believe is a Showtime production. Apologies I cannot comment on the boxing output of both but don't watch either unfortunately, however did want to contribute somehow.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 27 Mar 2012, 5:50 pm

HBO do great production, and all that jazz. But when the fight starts, they begin to annoy

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 27 Mar 2012, 8:51 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:HBO do great production, and all that jazz. But when the fight starts, they begin to annoy

completely agree, and their pre fight VTs are great, the head to head and little promos etc.
although showtime did a good job with their head to head rip off.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down