The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daily Mail exclusive says it's Lancaster for England

+17
bedfordwelsh
yappysnap
beshocked
formerly known as Sam
Effervescing Elephant
BigTrevsbigmac
RubyGuby
screamingaddabs
hugehandoff
propdavid_london
Biltong
GunsGerms
Portnoy
maestegmafia
Geordie
EngInAuck
wickedwasp
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Daily Mail exclusive says it's Lancaster for England Empty Daily Mail exclusive says it's Lancaster for England

Post by wickedwasp Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:56 am

so, it's probably Mallett.

After all, this is the Mail..............................

Stuart Lancaster is on the verge of being appointed England head coach after RFU chief executive Ian Ritchie was understood to have put forward his name to the union board for final approval.

The 42-year-old Cumbrian has had an anxious wait to learn his fate since having a formal interview for the post on Thursday last week, on the same day as his main rival, South African Nick Mallett.

On Monday, Ritchie and his four advisers — Sir Ian McGeechan, Rob Andrew, Conor O’Shea and Richard Hill — met for one final discussion before settling on their recommendation.

Sportsmail has learned that there was due to be a gathering of the RFU board on Wednesday night and it is thought that Ritchie had decided to propose that Lancaster is appointed as the long-term successor to Martin Johnson. Subject to formal acceptance at the meeting, an announcement is likely to be made either on Thursday or Friday.

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Daily Mail exclusive says it's Lancaster for England Empty Re: Daily Mail exclusive says it's Lancaster for England

Post by EngInAuck Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:11 am

They have been pretty Accurate (in England Rugby Terms) in the past.

In my opinion a good choice and the right choice for english rugby. Yahoo
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Daily Mail exclusive says it's Lancaster for England Empty Re: Daily Mail exclusive says it's Lancaster for England

Post by wickedwasp Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:16 am

I really hope they're right, but I never underestimate the ability of the RFU to f**k it up!

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:24 am

Its all very well getting Lancaster in...and i actually agree with that appointment...however we need to make sure we get the right coaches in to support him!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:28 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Its all very well getting Lancaster in...and i actually agree with that appointment...however we need to make sure we get the right coaches in to support him!

That's true whoever they appoint. No top coach can work miracles without support. I hear very good things about Farrell.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:39 am

Auntie's spreading the same rumour. "BBC sources believe blah-de-bah"
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:41 am

maestegmafia wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Its all very well getting Lancaster in...and i actually agree with that appointment...however we need to make sure we get the right coaches in to support him!

That's true whoever they appoint. No top coach can work miracles without support. I hear very good things about Farrell.

Not Farrell I hope. Too defensively minded.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:46 am

I'd love to see Wayne Smith as attacks coach

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:48 am

I think he deserves a go. In fairness sometimes it's best to bring in a guy with less experience because they have more hunger to prove themselves. He has worked his way up and his zero tolerance approach has paid dividends.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:48 am

He also knows the squad well...and has a good knowledge of what is coming through the ranks...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:54 am

I hope it isn't Mallett.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:54 am

Radio four just announced Lancaster

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:02 am

Portnoy - I am with you. Lancaster = Good, Rowntree = Good.
Farrell - ?. I think he will/is a great defensive coach (like Edwards).
But as a player (in union) he offered nothing in attack - how can he then go on to coach an attacking side.

Farrell as defensive coach and bring in another as attack coach - then the team is complete.
(and not too top heavy)

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:04 am

But who is defensive coach at Sarries...Farrel or Gustard...?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:07 am

Geordie - I dont know. I have a feeling that Farrell is overall backs coach.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:09 am

England 2012 look a lot like Farrells Saracens, when they are doing things that are effective.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:11 am

Telegrapgh states it is Lancaster

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/9171489/Stuart-Lancaster-appointed-England-manager.html

Mallet apparently informed he is unsuccessfull this morning.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:12 am

Telegrapgh states it is Lancaster

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/9171489/Stuart-Lancaster-appointed-England-manager.html

Mallet apparently informed he is unsuccessfull this morning.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:14 am

Too be honest Maesteg...if they play a sarries type...looking at effectiveness and winning..i have no problem ...i would just like to see them open it up a little bit when its on....and im not sure Farell at the moment is the man to do that.

Whilst im not a 100% fan of Flood...he can control a game like the Sarries style requires...but is also capable of opening it up when its on!

Be interesting to see how this team evolves anyway...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:14 am

The Farrell thing worries me a bit as I'd like to see us playing with a bit of flair.

However, the quickest way to lose in International rugby is having flair without hard graft and a gritty defence.

Sometimes, rock solid foundations will give players the confidence to be creative and chuck it around a bit, so I wouldn't be fretting too much yet.

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:18 am

it is also a good position to be in having to choose between 2 good options at 10. Flood appears to have regained some form. whilst Farrell had an excellent 6Ns. Hopefully they can spur each other to better things. Dawson and Bracken did it at 9 when they swapped starting positions many times. Stops the players getting complacent.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:19 am

wickedwasp wrote:The Farrell thing worries me a bit as I'd like to see us playing with a bit of flair.

However, the quickest way to lose in International rugby is having flair without hard graft and a gritty defence.

Sometimes, rock solid foundations will give players the confidence to be creative and chuck it around a bit, so I wouldn't be fretting too much yet

clap Now if only all England fans could realise this! Happily I think Lancaster does realise this.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:26 am

Be very interesting to see if SL brings in any new coaches to his set up? The 6Ns was meant to be a temporary set up, but of course they got great results so surely he would want to keep them all? Must have been tempting for the RFU to have gone for Mallet with Wayne Smith, but it is nice to see an English coach given the chance. Good luck SL.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:31 am

I thought SL was Scottish Run

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:38 am

Sky & Telegraph also confirming Stuart Lancaster to be named Head Coach.

Well done the RFU !

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:50 am

Right so a few pieces of the jigsaw are in place:

Head Coach - Lancaster
Forwards Coach - Rowntree
Defence Coach- ?
Attack Coach- ?

WIll Sarries let Farrell go? What other options are there?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:51 am

screamingaddabs wrote:
wickedwasp wrote:The Farrell thing worries me a bit as I'd like to see us playing with a bit of flair.

Sometimes, rock solid foundations will give players the confidence to be creative and chuck it around a bit, so I wouldn't be fretting too much yet

clap Now if only all England fans could realise this! Happily I think Lancaster does realise this.

Will the South African analysts not (probably as I type) be poring over the English 6Ns video tapes?

Will they not deconstructing the English game plan to the nth degree?

And my fear is that the backs are extremely defensively-minded according to the Farrell plan. And that will be exploited to huge advantage by the Saffers.

e.g. Is it just a coincidence that Ashton receded from top (or joint) top try scorer from the last 6Ns and RWC to zip.

Was that a result of loss of form or Farrell's game-plan?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:55 am

I'm sure the Boks will be doing just that, however, I'm not sure what's there to exploit. The defence is solid, the scrum is solid, the breakdown work is good, the kicker's reliable. The only weakness is the limitations in attack & I'm not sure how you exploit that

I also think that part of tht is the team and the combos learning to play together. It should improve and that would give us the makings of a very good team indeed.

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:57 am

The Boks are not just analysing the tapes, they've actually planted 2 members of the SA special squad into your team - watch Barritt opening the door for the SA midfield to waltz through and let's not even start with Botha!! - It's a conspiracy lads, I tells yah! thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:04 am

Hey Ruby, wait for Agent Cuthbert's activation in Cardiff 2013! thumbsup
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:06 am

Carpe notworthy

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:07 am

wickedwasp wrote:I'm sure the Boks will be doing just that, however, I'm not sure what's there to exploit. The defence is solid, the scrum is solid, the breakdown work is good, the kicker's reliable. The only weakness is the limitations in attack & I'm not sure how you exploit that

I also think that part of tht is the team and the combos learning to play together. It should improve and that would give us the makings of a very good team indeed.

Hmm. Have you ever noticed how the Saffers never field a substandard pack?

And that they tend to get the ball out to the wings to negate stolid centre defences?

I have SA 2-1 against England this summer. And the England one will be the last one as the tour is won and provides a bit of room for Saffa experimentation.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:11 am

Carpe Diem wrote:Hey Ruby, wait for Agent Cuthbert's activation in Cardiff 2013! thumbsup

I thought he was anonomous at Twickenham - you might be on to something - Showed up well against France though thumbsup

And let's not forget his mothers welsh while we're at it thumbsup

Last edited by RubyGuby on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:11 am

Interesting. I don't think we're vulnerable in the scrum to be honest, but we would have to watch our wide defence, I agree.

I've got England for 2-1 (more hope than expectation possibly) figuring we'll win the first catching them unprepared. Backlash in the second, with the third a knock down, drag out series decider.

Now, be honest wouldn't you love that.

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:14 am

RubyGuby wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:Hey Ruby, wait for Agent Cuthbert's activation in Cardiff 2013! thumbsup

I thought he was anonomous at Twickenham - you might be on to something - Showed up well against France though thumbsup

It's in the genes Ruby, something about the French brings out the beast in an Englishman! In all seriousness he's a helluva find, fair play to Cardiff for giving him a shot.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:25 am

But who is defensive coach at Sarries...Farrel or Gustard...?

Gustard, he also looks after the lineouts and is responsible for the 'wolf pack' mantra of the forwards. Farrell is in charge of the backs so must work closely with Gustard because the defensive line is excellent and where England fell apart last time was because Ford and Smith seemed on different pages.

Geordie I filled it in for you:

Head Coach - Lancaster
Forwards Coach - Rowntree
Defence Coach- Gustard or Ellis (depending on how much Gustard will cost)
Attack Coach- Mauger

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:33 am

I like that team Sam...but you might get calls that theres a hint of Leicester there.. Wink

What other options would be available for Attack coach...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:34 am

Sam I really don't want to lose Gustard to England.

Ellis would be an interesting choice.

Mauger - what experience has he got?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:35 am

Wayne Smith has already said he'd be interested in attacks coach.

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:43 am

Oh dear.

Auntie just quoted that Lancaster as wanting Farrell 'on board'.

We're done for! Erm

Braveheart We'rrre Doooomed! Braveheart
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:44 am

Cheer up Portnoy - maybe he meant Owen Very Happy

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:00 am

Mauger - what experience has he got?

Tigers part time backs coach in 2009 (HEC final and AP champions that year) and then he's been working with Canterbury and the Crusaders (alongside Daryl Gibson). There were vast changes when Cockerill allowed Geordan and Mauger to take over the attacking structure of the Tigers backs and it was a very pragmatic approach, a nice varied for of attacking based on gainline success and changing the point of attack (how it's gone down hill under MOC thumbsdown ). Canterbury and the Crusaders run a similar system with clever running lines and playing to their strengths though Mauger isn't soley responsible for that he is a good attack coach that has experience intergrating his ideas with English forward packs.

There are hopeful rumours he is returning to Tigers as it's been heard he wants to coach in the NH again (he was linked as the attack coach to Ulster as well).

Gustard is the best English defence coach, whether he is available or not is a different matter. If he is then England should sign him up immeadiatley. If he isn't then Ellis should be brought in.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:39 pm

glad to here Stuarts staying, i'd be happy with Farrel and a specialist attck coach but I can't see Saracens letting him go.

Other possibles could be

Attack/Backs Coaches:
Austin Healey (Ashton looked at him and he would love it)
Wayne Smith (already put himself out there)
Brian Ashton (has a lot to say ont he matter and experience)
Will Greenwood (More in hope)
Toby Booth (Looks like he could be out of a job soon)
Mike Catt (as above)
Mauger (Apparently free and in the NH)

Defense:
Dave Ellis (Free for the role and has plenty of experience)
Erm...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:07 pm

Greenwood or Catt I'd love - particularly Catt as he's done a fair bit of coaching.

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:11 pm

Well blow me a governing body has finally made the correct decision, eben if I didn't think they would.

I said all along that Lancaster should have been given the job until at least after the Summer tour but always had a sneaky feeling that the RFU would have put a 'big' name in at the top.

Well done to Lancaster and despite hoping against it I think the future is rosey for England but the hard work starts for him now.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:54 pm

"We have a massive task ahead of us in South Africa this summer and we have 37 games before that first World Cup match on home soil, so every second counts in developing players who can win that tournament – which has to be the ultimate aim.

Stuart Lancaster quoted from the RFU website.

Seems he's clear as to what he's about and the scale of the mountain he is trying to climb. Exciting times for England! Smile

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:20 pm

Hmm I'd prefer to have a working squad of international quality players developed for now rather than this wishy washy planning for the future BS. I rather liked his pragmatic approach in the 6N all we were missing was an attacking game in the backs which was down to a couple of contributing factors. I will not be happy if he rights off the development of that rather key area because of the development of young players because our aim in any season should be to take at least 4 wins (AI plus summer tour) wins off of the SH sides and win the 6N.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:37 pm

Sam

If I had to, I'd guess he's playing the PR game, which he's done pretty well so far.

I'm tempted to judge him by what he's done so far & I'm pretty happy with it.

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:17 pm

It's been confirmed by the BBC that Lancaster is now the coach. And it was the right choice. He has proven he is worthy, he handles the media well and is very modest, as in he likes to heap praise on his coaching staff and players.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:27 pm

His press interviews after the Wales defeat swung it for me. He was balanced, concise and gracious without any hint of bitterness or trying to attach blame to the TMO, we was unlucky, we gifted them a try BS - He was mature and articulate and the measue of a mans ability for me is how he handles defeat. Lancaster came out with 10/10 for me and irrespective of the SA tour as there will be some tough defeats ahead, this guy has all the makings of a great coach. Lets hope the english media and some fans dont destroy that when things get a little difficult as they obviously will over the next 12-18 months thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next