The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The English are coming!

+20
BigTrevsbigmac
emack2
eirebilly
blackcanelion
maestegmafia
Hood83
mystiroakey
ChequeredJersey
Equo Troiano
dragonbreath
nobbled
bedfordwelsh
RubyGuby
Cowshot
SecretFly
gregortree
Biltong
thebluesmancometh
munkian
wickedwasp
24 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

The English are coming! - Page 3 Empty The English are coming!

Post by wickedwasp Thu 29 Mar 2012, 10:20 am

First topic message reminder :

I'll apologise in advance for this post, but as the RFU has inexplicably failed to b*lls up the selection of the England Manager, I find myself massively (and probably largely prematurely) optimistic for the future of this England Team.

No superstars, just a fantastic ethos & wor k ethic, all about hard graft & playing for the team - what a foundation to build on. So, fair warning:

Watch out World, here comes England rose

By the way, there is no hidden point to this post, I'm just really chuffed Yahoo

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

The English are coming! - Page 3 Empty Re: The English are coming!

Post by Triangulation Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:53 pm

wickedwasp wrote:Triangulation

Wow - you're just noy a glass half full kind of person at all are you?

Some of that actually has some truth in it. I agree our skill levels are way behing the SH & also agree with the bash bash & attrition comments.

However, none of that is new and, arguably isn't our biggest problem.

In 2003, our skill levels were no better than now, but we had a totally committed, united team with a great ethos, excellent defence and a belief that they could win. They ended up doing alright.

I think if we try to become NZ, SA or Aus, we'll only end up as a slightly inferior copy.

Let's develop our strengths & take it from there

WE are going to take some hammerings along the way, but that's all part of the learning curve.

Keep the faith rose

I agree with you. Sort of. I should say that i am delighted with Lancaster's appointment.

There was this now almost mythical period in our rugby history when for a day the sun shone and we could do it all. If i had to peak 3 games i would say Ireland in the 6N when we spanked them 42-6 playing the most all court game i've seen from England, vs Wallabies in Melbourne when we scored 3 very different tries and mauled them back 30 m on one occasion and of course Wellington when 13 man England beat the ABs.

The Ireland match stands out as a real zenith. We werent a copy. We played our own brand of rugby. We COULD draw and pass then. I promise.

But those days are past now and in the past they must remain....

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:56 pm

Tri it's easy

We just need to develop the technology to clone Will Greenwood.

Problem solved Very Happy

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 30 Mar 2012, 3:18 pm

Triangulation wrote:England are in a new cycle

We're in a rare period of optimism.

Deep down in places that we do not talk about at dinner parties we know that it won't last so here's an accelerated version of the reality we face : England are doomed.

As much as Lancaster and his support coaches are excellent - ulitmately they have poor cattle to work with. Cattle who when expertly herded were enough to give good account of themselves at 6N level but who will be found out in the coming Test matches. Even our vaunted defecence and particularly discipline in defence will crumble. Penalty counts will soar. Yellow cards will fly.

We're only as good as what our rubbish Aviva premiership produces. Not good enough : players who cannot execute basic draw and pass skills and no depth at prop, hooker, number 8, openside?, scrum half, or centre.

Club coaches up and down the country should, for their gross dereliction of duty be marched through the streets of every market town and city so that we can throw rotten tomatos at them.

On and off field discipline remains as rubbish as ever with players falling over themselves to be cited for months on end or arrested, hamstringing our meagre 1st 22 playing resources.

The bash bash dull style of the premiership causes a masive injury attrition rate which will hurt our selections.

We cannot logically expect to win a bean between now and the next 6N.

The Lancaster goodwill will quickly evaporate in the Republic of South Africa. Nick Mallet will be very smug. It will be awfull.

We will lose our way through the slide to 8th in the IRB rankings and be seeded at out own RWC with the All Blacks.

We and the RFU will hold our collective nerve until 6-12months out from the RWC when Lancaster will be sacked with Sir Clive Woodward parachuted in at the last minute.

He will immediately select Banahan and Worsley and we will get bombed out in the group stages.

The cycle will then repeat.

Whilst we do not have the most skilled players, I think this is untrue- We actually at the moment have plenty of depth (untested at International level but certainly talented) at Prop and Centre, we have at least 2 excellent Scrum halves, just one is a moron and the other needs to find some form. We have a lot of young aspiring Hookers that need blooding. We have some real 7s one of whom will hopefully be ready in the next 12 months, and there is some discussion over whether a "real 7" is even necessary at any level of rugby now days. Number 8 is a little lacking but I'd argue it is at International level for pretty much every country in the world at the moment. We have some very skilled backs players that just need to be picked. At 13 alone we now have Tuilagi, Trinder, JJ, Lowe, Hopper, Tait, Daly etc. None of whom are perfect but none are the pit of talentlessness you seem to imply, and all of whom I'd rather spend a starting spot on than the likes of Fofana
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Fri 30 Mar 2012, 3:30 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:

Deep down in places that we do not talk about at dinner parties we know that it won't last so here's an accelerated version of the reality we face : England are doomed.

As much as Lancaster and his support coaches are excellent - ulitmately they have poor cattle to work with. Cattle who when expertly herded were enough to give good account of themselves at 6N level but who will be found out in the coming Test matches. Even our vaunted defecence and particularly discipline in defence will crumble. Penalty counts will soar. Yellow cards will fly.

We're only as good as what our rubbish Aviva premiership produces. Not good enough : players who cannot execute basic draw and pass skills and no depth at prop, hooker, number 8, openside?, scrum half, or centre.

Club coaches up and down the country should, for their gross dereliction of duty be marched through the streets of every market town and city so that we can throw rotten tomatos at them.

On and off field discipline remains as rubbish as ever with players falling over themselves to be cited for months on end or arrested, hamstringing our meagre 1st 22 playing resources.

The bash bash dull style of the premiership causes a masive injury attrition rate which will hurt our selections.

The Lancaster goodwill will quickly evaporate in the Republic of South Africa. Nick Mallet will be very smug. It will be awfull.

We will lose our way through the slide to 8th in the IRB rankings and be seeded at out own RWC with the All Blacks.

We and the RFU will hold our collective nerve until 6-12months out from the RWC when Lancaster will be sacked with Sir Clive Woodward parachuted in at the last minute.

He will immediately select Banahan and Worsley and we will get bombed out in the group stages.

Whilst we do not have the most skilled players, I think this is untrue- We actually at the moment have plenty of depth (untested at International level but certainly talented) at Prop and Centre, we have at least 2 excellent Scrum halves, just one is a moron and the other needs to find some form. We have a lot of young aspiring Hookers that need blooding. We have some real 7s one of whom will hopefully be ready in the next 12 months, and there is some discussion over whether a "real 7" is even necessary at any level of rugby now days. Number 8 is a little lacking but I'd argue it is at International level for pretty much every country in the world at the moment. We have some very skilled backs players that just need to be picked. At 13 alone we now have Tuilagi, Trinder, JJ, Lowe, Hopper, Tait, Daly etc. None of whom are perfect but none are the pit of talentlessness you seem to imply, and all of whom I'd rather spend a starting spot on than the likes of Fofana

So you're looking ahead to 2019 RWC then?

There are 37 test matches only until the next RWC and history dictates that you need at least 40 caps a man average to win the damn thing.

Perhaps we'd be better off writing the next RWC off and working on more pressing structural and cultural issues instead of going around and around in this washing machine of despair.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Fri 30 Mar 2012, 3:33 pm

Emergency!

Has anyone got the number for Samaritans for Tri?

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 30 Mar 2012, 3:40 pm

Triangulation wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

There are 37 test matches only until the next RWC and history dictates that you need at least 40 caps a man average to win the damn thing.

Perhaps we'd be better off writing the next RWC off and working on more pressing structural and cultural issues instead of going around and around in this washing machine of despair.

How about we just man up, get on with it and become the youngest World Cup Winning Team in History? Seems that whilst we should make a series of club and grass-root level changes, bitching about the (lack of) players we have available now isn't going to help anyone is it? It's not even the slightest bit constructive
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Fri 30 Mar 2012, 4:02 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
Triangulation wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

How about we just man up, get on with it and become the youngest World Cup Winning Team in History? Seems that whilst we should make a series of club and grass-root level changes, bitching about the (lack of) players we have available now isn't going to help anyone is it? It's not even the slightest bit constructive

Fair enough IF changes are made i willl stop being a girl and stop biatching. Until that happens I and others will probably continue.

We do have a good 1st XV when all fit and on board. With the bounce of the ball we could beat Australia in a RWC and we can beat France and Ireland on our day too so all's not lost. We have excellent honest coaches and there shouldnt be any more of the nonsense we saw off the field at last RWC.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 30 Mar 2012, 4:07 pm

Triangulation wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:
Triangulation wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

Fair enough IF changes are made i willl stop being a girl and stop biatching. Until that happens I and others will probably continue.

We do have a good 1st XV when all fit and on board. With the bounce of the ball we could beat Australia in a RWC and we can beat France and Ireland on our day too so all's not lost. We have excellent honest coaches and there shouldnt be any more of the nonsense we saw off the field at last RWC.

thumbsup Also, I am sorry, I may have come on a little strong, but if our current players are flawed (which they are) then the changes we make to infrastructure won't help us to win RWC 2015 anyway but good strategy about how we utilise their strengths might. I utterly agree that changes need to be made but we also need to work with what we have in the present
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Fri 30 Mar 2012, 5:20 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
Triangulation wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:
Triangulation wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

thumbsup Also, I am sorry, I may have come on a little strong, but if our current players are flawed (which they are) then the changes we make to infrastructure won't help us to win RWC 2015 anyway but good strategy about how we utilise their strengths might. I utterly agree that changes need to be made but we also need to work with what we have in the present

and hold our nerve..

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri 30 Mar 2012, 7:23 pm

I think it's true that the horse has already bolted on making changes to the Prem that will realistically affect our WC chances in 2015.

However, i still don't see that as a reason to not look to address them. I think a lot of what Tri has said is spot on. All season i'll looked at the coaches pretty much across the board and been utterly perplexed as to what they are bringing their team.

- O'Shea looks like he has good potential and is doing a good job at Quins
- I thought Diamond was doing a good job, at least in terms of Sale's work at the breakdown with a relatively light pack. But he's now moved up and Hanks has been poopie.
- Baxter looks very good at getting a big powerful pack that can meet the attritional demands of Prem rugby. Exeter are excellent at multi-phase forward play. But outside of that?

And that's probably the best i can say about them, the rest have been absolute dross. Individual coaches like Gustard at Sarries seem to be doing well, but i can't think of a single backs coach in the Prem who has stood out. If anyone has any differing thoughts would be interested to hear them though. Maybe i'm being unfair?

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Fri 30 Mar 2012, 7:35 pm

Lancaster the new messiah for turning round an England RWC disaster to coming second in 6N

Gatland turnaround a welsh RWC disaster and wins a grandslam.

Funny Old world
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 30 Mar 2012, 7:48 pm

welsh worldcup disatser- very odd statement that one- !!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 30 Mar 2012, 7:54 pm

slartibartfast wrote:Lancaster the new messiah for turning round an England RWC disaster to coming second in 6N

Gatland turnaround a welsh RWC disaster and wins a grandslam.

Funny Old world

Slarti that is a rather sour tasting comment you are making. No one suggested Lancaster is the Messiah, he brings hope and it is understandable why, some new Eglish players and but a few months in the job. Wales has had Gatlandfor how many years now?

Poor comparison.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Fri 30 Mar 2012, 8:10 pm

Sorry, inputting on phone

Comparison was gatlands first 6months as coach not this world cup

Massiah - do you listen to sports news? Lancasters all they e been on about.

In my view he Lancaster was lucky to face a poor France side, otherwise he'd be out on his ear.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 30 Mar 2012, 8:13 pm

you what lol

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3