The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Qualification process and qualifiers for the World Championships in Daegu Korea

+4
teassoc
trickstat
Mad for Chelsea
lsabre
8 posters

Go down

Qualification process and qualifiers for the World Championships in Daegu Korea Empty Qualification process and qualifiers for the World Championships in Daegu Korea

Post by lsabre Wed 30 Mar 2011, 2:33 pm

I've been studying the selection policy over the British team to contest the World Championships in Korea in late August so I thought of ...

Last edited by lsabre on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 1:49 pm; edited 7 times in total

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Qualification process and qualifiers for the World Championships in Daegu Korea Empty Re: Qualification process and qualifiers for the World Championships in Daegu Korea

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 30 Mar 2011, 5:45 pm

Lookig at the qualifying standard, I'd expect GB to send two athletes in the 100, 200 and 400. 800 A standard looks slightly tougher, Rimmer will make it if he can carry through last season's form. Not too sure who else. Andrew Osagie maybe, if he can carry on from his winter form?

As for the 1500, not too sure, Baddeley showed signs of moving up to 5000, which I think is a good move. Tom Lancashire? Colin McCourt? Nick McCormick? I think Tom Lancashire achieved it last year, not too sure who else.

5000: Farah takes one spot, either Thompson or Baddeley will join him probably. 10000 looks set to be Farah and Thompson. Don't know about the marathon and SC so won't comment.

As for the hurdles, if last year is anything to go by, can't see anyone else displacing the top two who incidentally already have the A standard.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Qualification process and qualifiers for the World Championships in Daegu Korea Empty Re: Qualification process and qualifiers for the World Championships in Daegu Korea

Post by trickstat Wed 30 Mar 2011, 9:51 pm

I would like to think that maybe one or more of the following will get the 400H A standard : Rick Yates, Jack Green, Nathan Woodward, David Hughes, Lloyd Gumbs.

trickstat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 30 Mar 2011, 9:57 pm

trickstat, yeah I can see one or more of those getting the A standard, but can't see them beating either Greene or Williams in the trials TBH, even if they make the A standard Williams is nearly half a second under it (he ran sub 49 at the Europeans I think) while Greene is miles ahead of everyone.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 30 Mar 2011, 11:14 pm

well you probably know better than me Isabre, so based on last season and the indoor this year who can you see making the list for the worlds. For what it's worth here're my picks.

100 - Chambers and MLF. Unless Williamson returns to full fitness, no one is yet good enough to challenge these two IMO.
200 - Malcolm and Baptiste. Malcolm ran as well as he has for a long time last year, while I expect Baptiste's Commonwealth title to allow him to really kick on.
400 - Rooney and Bingham. Yes I'm hardly going for surprises here but these two have been the most consistent and quickest for GB over the last three years or so.
800 - Rimmer and Osagie. Rimmer looked like he was finally getting there last year, while Osagie has had a very impressive indoor season.
1500 - don't know enough about some of these guys, but I hope we see some better tactics than last year's Europeans (and Commonwealths for the matter). I'll go for McCourt and Lancashire, but a bit random (if Baddeley decides to keep this event, he may make it).
5000 - think Thompson may focus on the 10000, while Baddeley showed signs of being more than capable of making the step up, so Farah and Baddeley.
10000 - Farah and Thompson, no-one else is really close yet.
SC and marathon - no idea.
110 H - Sharman and Turner, still ahead of the field (can Lawrence Clarke kick on?)
400 H - can't see past the Welsh duo of Greene and Williams TBH.

Don't really know enough about the other events, so won't go there...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Thu 31 Mar 2011, 5:46 pm

There is much to look forward to in this coming season. In particular the return of Williamson and Dasoulu in the sprints. They were missed last season. I have little faith in HAA, Pickering and MLF moving on. Picking Devonish and Malcolm who are well past their prime but still have had success shows how short-handed we've been in this area. With Edgar also returning to form we'd have a strong relay team if they all got back to form.

Also expect our American 'imports' to shine. Been a while since we've had anyone to cheer in the womens LJ and 100 hurdles. Womens 4 X 400 relay could be much stronger as well.

Progression in these events will do a lot to fill-out empty slots and strengthen our team for the Worlds (although I'm not expecting any of our individual sprinters to medal).

On a slightly different point, it's a bit depressing to see so many field events where we'll be struggling to find representation. Certainly shows a huge gulf of capabilities between many of these events and others e.g. the mens 400 hurdles where we are well stocked with talent. Always been the case of course, but it would be nice if we could break through in those (for us) cinderella events.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 01 Apr 2011, 10:25 am

good to see MLF is feeling confident. I hope he really kicks on from his very promising performances last season. Will be interesting to see how Williamson goes this season. Didn't he run 10:03 a few years back (might have been 2008 ) but since then has been struggling with injury?

Dwain has apparently been focussing on the 100 meters, hence his slightly less good than usual performances in the indoor, but maybe this will set him up nicely for the outdoor season.

Should be an interesting battle in the sprints certainly...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 01 Apr 2011, 10:37 am

whoah that is impressive, you're right I remember people talking about that at the time. Be interesting to see how the guy does after a long time out...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 17 Apr 2011, 4:30 pm

13:37 is a very good start for Turner

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by jjimbojames Mon 18 Apr 2011, 7:59 pm

lsabre wrote:Shara Proctor has obtained the B qualifying standard for Daegu as she leapt to a season opener of 6.68m (0.5m/sec) to win the long jump at the War Eagle Invitational in Auburn, Alabama.
Worth noting that although Shara finished 6th in the Berlin WC, she wouldn't have been picked by UKA, as she was not holding the right standards, but improved whilst out there.

Let's hope she can push on to close to 6.90m+ this year, and 7m next. I'd like to see at least 2 wLJers in Daegu and then 3 wLJers in London - the girls are starting to catch up the boys now... Very Happy

jjimbojames

Back to top Go down

Post by jjimbojames Tue 19 Apr 2011, 9:53 am

lsabre wrote:I hope to see Jade Johnson edge into her stride and return in the 6.60s or even 6.70s region again, laying the foundations for a third Olympic top eight place next summer.

Amy Harris is showing signs of some revival in the States and jumped 6.43m indoors, starting with a legal 6.30 outdoors, so hopefully could get into the 6.50s along with Jessica Ennis and, why not, Lorraine Ugen.

Nice to see you over here, JJimBoJames!
Thanks - have been reading for some time, and the 'old' 606 has bored me with it's squabbling!

We're on the same wavelength re the potential qualifiers - I think Shara and Amy will be in Daegu, and possibly Jade or Katarina Johnson-Thompson - she's coming back from that injury, and I could see her getting a good wind and popping something in the 6.80s this year or next (she looks more of a Hyleas Fountain type of multi-eventer to me)

jjimbojames

Back to top Go down

Post by jjimbojames Sun 01 May 2011, 7:48 pm

You can also add a B standard for Sophie Hitchon - new GBR record with 69.43m in the wHammer today!

jjimbojames

Back to top Go down

Post by jjimbojames Sat 14 May 2011, 9:03 pm

Lawrence Okoye has apparently thrown 63.25m in the Discus at the Surrey Champs - a B qualifier and third on the UK lists

Really glad he's giving it a serious go rather than dropping it for rugby. Very Happy

jjimbojames

Back to top Go down

Post by skimpton Mon 06 Jun 2011, 8:47 am

lsabre, many thanks for keeping this updated.
This reply should bump this back up the page.
Here's hoping for many more qualifiers for Daegu and see this as a real stepping stone towards London 2012.

skimpton

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 1:06 pm

The mens 400m not looking to good atm. Whats up with Rooney, i dont think hes looked the same athlete since the 2008 oylmpics when he ran that 44.60.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:20 pm

would have thought bingham would have been the better choice for the european cup ahead of conrad williams? or did bingham post that time after the selection date?

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:38 pm

I'm not sure. I sense that Bingham may have pulled out of the running for the individual race himself as is often the case when it comes to the European Team Champs.

Charles van Commennee has always shown keen to rotate his squads according to circumstances and individual requirements with an eye to the main target of the season, or the peak of the Olympic cycle come to that, thus having already left the likes of Jessica Ennis, Phillips Idowu, Mo Farah and Lisa Dobriskey out of the team.

In the same light, he's not afraid to trust and blood new people in international events looking to gain some more top flight hopefuls pretty much in the manner that Sir Alex Ferguson does in Manchester United.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:14 pm

Can Britain send 3 people to the worlds for each event if they have the qualifying times?

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by skimpton Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:18 pm

Yes 3, but I believe 4 in events where we have a reigning champion. ie Ennis and Idowu

skimpton

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:55 pm

Definitely three if there are at least two athletes with A standards and one with two Bs.

In the triple jump, following Nathan Douglas's season-long lay-off due to injury it's very unlikely that Britain could utilize their effective four-place quota.

On the other hand, there could be a slight chance in the women's heptathlon.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairfan1 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 7:23 pm

Lsabre I don't know how good your contacts are but if you know Shara or anyone who runs PO10 site might want to tell them to upload her new PB. As she did it a such a small meet in the U.S they may not be aware of it as no major website has run it in there weekend reviews!!

armchairfan1

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Mon 13 Jun 2011, 7:32 pm

Actually, Shara herself told me that she jumped 6.81m in Clermont, Florida, on Saturday so there's no doubt about that whatever.

I don't know the exact workings within POT to tell why so many times they take some time to upload results of that magnitude, although they're not the only ones as the AW report doesn't mention that either.

Last week it took several days, eg, for Eilish McColgan's 9:58.13 to come up there.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by armchairfan1 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 7:39 pm

Don't worry Lsabre wasn't questioning your sources I saw it on her Twitter at the time as well Smile

We all know how slow these sites can be bureaurcy lol. Just hope her agents know the right people at UKA to tell as she so new to our system. But anyway she may well jump further at the ETC and it won't matter anyway!! They won't be able miss it then Smile

armchairfan1

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:03 am

What is of concern, however, is that Emily Freeman feels like it's touch and go whether she's going to be fully fit in time to bid for a place on the British team, as I understand...

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 14 Jun 2011, 9:54 am

So am I to understand a British Women jumped 6.81m in the long jump? I dont realy follow womens long jump as much as mens, how good is that distance on the world stage?

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:31 am

That 6.81m places Shara currently 8th in the global rankings in the long jump while it's a distance that very much guarantees you from a top six position to even give you a medal at major championships. Eg, at the last World Champs in Berlin bronze was won at 6.80m.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down