The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andrew Hore backs IRB's Global Transfer System

5 posters

Go down

Andrew Hore backs IRB's Global Transfer System Empty Andrew Hore backs IRB's Global Transfer System

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 31 Mar 2012, 4:00 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17568661

Andrew Hore has backed a move to adopt a global transfer market to compensate countries who develop players who are then bought by foreign clubs.
The International Rugby Board has set up a working party to examine the issue of 'player movement' between countries. Welsh rugby has seen an exodus of homegrown stars, with Mike Phillips , James Hook , Lee Byrne , Luke Charteris and Gethin Jenkins moving to France.

“I think all countries would welcome not having so many foreign players in their system”
Andrew Hore, Ospreys chief operations officer.

"I think a transfer fee would be good," said Ospreys operations boss Hore. "Domestically, we could do something and internationally the NZRFU have tabled the idea of a transfer fee. It's whether the IRB [International Rugby Board] has the gumption to take on some of the fights that soccer saw when they imposed something like that. It still doesn't stop players going to other countries. Do you think French clubs are really going to worry about another 50,000 euros for that young man's development? They won't care."

"The key thing is to get to the young player and most of them want to play for their country so it's better to impose a ruling which says if you leave the country, you don't play for your country.. I don't think you have a chance of that happening here, so you're better to go for the later and some kind of financial remuneration which is re-invested to develop more young players."

New Zealander Hore is chief operations officer at Ospreys. The IRB agreed to carry out a feasibility study at their 'Economics of Rugby Conference' to investigate a transfer system that could see nations compensate other nations that have developed young players who had then subsequently moved abroad in lucrative deals. Rugby currently does not have a football-style transfer fee system but the new proposal has been tabled by the New Zealand Rugby Union. New Zealand rugby loses on average 100 players every year to clubs, provinces or regions overseas.

Wales, the 2012 Six Nations Grand Slam champions, has suffered its own player-drain with Cardiff Blues prop Gethin Jenkins , Dragons lock Luke Charteris and Ospreys hooker Huw Bennett following fellow Welshmen Hook, Phillips and Byrne to France. Wing George North, flanker Dan Lydiate and centre Jamie Roberts have also been linked with big-money moves abroad. Hore, who left an elite development role with the New Zealand Rugby Union to join Ospreys in 2007, believes a global transfer system would see countries with strong development systems rewarded for producing homegrown players.

"I think all countries would welcome not having so many foreign players in their system," he added. "I know the French rugby union, for example, are really worried about it. People say the French and the English unions would be against it but I don't think they necessarily would. I think they would be positive towards it because it means local kids come through their club rugby get their opportunities."

I don't really understand what this is all about. Are they saying that a Welsh trained player wouldn't be able to play in other parts of the UK without a fee being paid to a team that no longer employ him?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Andrew Hore backs IRB's Global Transfer System Empty Re: Andrew Hore backs IRB's Global Transfer System

Post by oxring Sat 31 Mar 2012, 5:16 pm

Either that - or when a French club buys a Welsh player they have to pay the WRU a fee as well, who then distribute that fee around the regions.

It doesn't feel workable - but no doubt an IRB lawyer somewhere will find a binding way of wording it - if they feel it is a sensible move.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Andrew Hore backs IRB's Global Transfer System Empty Re: Andrew Hore backs IRB's Global Transfer System

Post by Gibson Sat 31 Mar 2012, 5:23 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17568661

Andrew Hore has backed a move to adopt a global transfer market to compensate countries who develop players who are then bought by foreign clubs.
The International Rugby Board has set up a working party to examine the issue of 'player movement' between countries. Welsh rugby has seen an exodus of homegrown stars, with Mike Phillips , James Hook , Lee Byrne , Luke Charteris and Gethin Jenkins moving to France.

“I think all countries would welcome not having so many foreign players in their system”
Andrew Hore, Ospreys chief operations officer.

"I think a transfer fee would be good," said Ospreys operations boss Hore. "Domestically, we could do something and internationally the NZRFU have tabled the idea of a transfer fee. It's whether the IRB [International Rugby Board] has the gumption to take on some of the fights that soccer saw when they imposed something like that. It still doesn't stop players going to other countries. Do you think French clubs are really going to worry about another 50,000 euros for that young man's development? They won't care."

"The key thing is to get to the young player and most of them want to play for their country so it's better to impose a ruling which says if you leave the country, you don't play for your country.. I don't think you have a chance of that happening here, so you're better to go for the later and some kind of financial remuneration which is re-invested to develop more young players."

New Zealander Hore is chief operations officer at Ospreys. The IRB agreed to carry out a feasibility study at their 'Economics of Rugby Conference' to investigate a transfer system that could see nations compensate other nations that have developed young players who had then subsequently moved abroad in lucrative deals. Rugby currently does not have a football-style transfer fee system but the new proposal has been tabled by the New Zealand Rugby Union. New Zealand rugby loses on average 100 players every year to clubs, provinces or regions overseas.

Wales, the 2012 Six Nations Grand Slam champions, has suffered its own player-drain with Cardiff Blues prop Gethin Jenkins , Dragons lock Luke Charteris and Ospreys hooker Huw Bennett following fellow Welshmen Hook, Phillips and Byrne to France. Wing George North, flanker Dan Lydiate and centre Jamie Roberts have also been linked with big-money moves abroad. Hore, who left an elite development role with the New Zealand Rugby Union to join Ospreys in 2007, believes a global transfer system would see countries with strong development systems rewarded for producing homegrown players.

"I think all countries would welcome not having so many foreign players in their system," he added. "I know the French rugby union, for example, are really worried about it. People say the French and the English unions would be against it but I don't think they necessarily would. I think they would be positive towards it because it means local kids come through their club rugby get their opportunities."

I don't really understand what this is all about. Are they saying that a Welsh trained player wouldn't be able to play in other parts of the UK without a fee being paid to a team that no longer employ him?

I predict this happening as the game grows in popularity Worldwide. And the clubs/provinces/regions, with strong Academies, will benefit most from it financially. There are so many caveats to it all though. One being, loyalty goes out the window - as in Soccer. For my part, I want the restrictions to the amount of foreign players playing for our provinces strictly adhered to. But you cant stop young top players from trying to better themeselves for a few years abroad. They have families to rear, mouths to feed and personal dreams & ambitions to fullfil - like the rest of us.

It cant be stopped imo. It is inevitable as rugby goes more corporate. Rugby is big business now and the sharks and sugar-daddies will circle and want more control of it. Not sure I like that aspect of it at all. It has destroyed pro-soccer. If you take the English Soccer Prem as a prime example of this, it has had a serious knock-on effect on the National teams' ability to perform at the highest level. 60% of the top Prem club players are foreigners. The National team has suffered badly because of it. And teams like Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal, have a massive amount of foreign players in their sides. They are not local sides anymore. This has turned the 2nd-level Championship, into the only decent breeding-ground for future English international players. Not good. That must be controlled, at national level, in Pro rugby, imo.

Over to the IRB, in liason with the National Unions, to lay down the ground rules to help control it. They cant prevent it (see Wales). But if they accept that it will happen, they can lay down safeguards now, to protect their national games' interest, as much as is possible in the future
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 31 Mar 2012, 5:58 pm

Gibson, if the number of foreigners in the English premiership is the problem, what's the reason for us not reaching a final since 1966? The performance of the England soccer team since 1966 is pretty steady. Generally QF, the odd semi (always nice Smile) and sometimes not qualifying. I'd argue a bigger problem is the fact it seems the clubs mean more to the players than the national team.

And how exactly can you control it? The FA have already been told that they can't have quotas on European players. And this goes for rugby as well. The RFU has got bonus payouts for teams that meet English Qualified quotas. They are also introducing extra salary cap room for academy players. The soccer teams don't need the amount of money FA could put in.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat 31 Mar 2012, 6:22 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Gibson, if the number of foreigners in the English premiership is the problem, what's the reason for us not reaching a final since 1966? The performance of the England soccer team since 1966 is pretty steady. Generally QF, the odd semi (always nice Smile) and sometimes not qualifying. I'd argue a bigger problem is the fact it seems the clubs mean more to the players than the national team.

And how exactly can you control it? The FA have already been told that they can't have quotas on European players. And this goes for rugby as well. The RFU has got bonus payouts for teams that meet English Qualified quotas. They are also introducing extra salary cap room for academy players. The soccer teams don't need the amount of money FA could put in.

Yes Thunor, I see that creeping in. I dont like it. But, its true. Thing is, do we care? Thats the knub. If we dont, then grand.

As for the inability for your National football side to win silverware - despite it being the national game and supported by millions, that is one of technical ability as well as the foreign influx styming the chance of young players to come through now. My football team (AZ Alkmaar) are taking on the best on next to nowt financially - in Europe. How? They are technically excellent from an early age. As are the Dutch-trained (mostly playing abroad) National side. Trevor Brooking is addressing that well now at Academy level. New, sublime technical players are coming through now. In 5 years, England will have a national soccer team to beat the best and win silverware.

And yes the analogy falls down with the vast difference in shekels between the 2 sports. But as it changes, with the amount of shekels the new rugby Oligarchs in France & England can offer, the likes of the IRFU's contracted and protected players, will slowly disolve.

It's inevitable. You are right. Im just a romantic and love to see my country do well 1st.

In fact, I wrote an article on it, with regards to the provinces going more autonomous/breaking away from the IRFU and got attacked by some Irish fans who still live in dreamland. Truth is, I was asking myself the question. Not them.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 01 Apr 2012, 12:25 pm

Whilst I understand the initial point that investment in young players (school/academy) who are then developed through Regional/Provincial/Club systems, and then freely tip-toe off elsewhere to collect cheques that are a closer approximation to their sense of personal value, can be off-putting and downright bad economics for nurturing country and region/province/club....

.... The truth though, as Hore alluded to, is that transfer fees can become lucrative financial parcels in themselves as the players will still want to leave for bigger money and clubs exist that will be willing to pay the asked for transfer fee. Indeed, players will often be encouraged to leave by cash strapped clubs/regions/provinces and therefore the exodus of home based players won't dry up.

Hore acknowledges this whilst still claiming: “I think all countries would welcome not having so many foreign players in their system”

I can envisage a world where certain countries/clubs become more interested in the factory economics of producing sellable players than perhaps the nurturing of stay-at-home players who will add to home club/country success. If most of your International players are coming back home only for International windows, I don't think many seasoned rugby observers thinks that's a recipe for International success.

As usual, I see some pros and some cons to the transfer fee debate.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun 01 Apr 2012, 2:52 pm

This is nothing personal, as I'm sure that he is a fine family man with good moral principles etc...

..but Andrew Hore has the intellectual capacity of a pre-schooler and no credentials to hold down a managerial position in professional rugby. The fact that he is able to do so in Wales is a sad indictment of our domestic game.

For the money he is paid to spout management psycho-babble nonsense you could employ half a dozen promising young players.

No offence like.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down