The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Primo Carnera

+11
milkyboy
oxring
JabMachineMK2
ShahenshahG
John Bloody Wayne
superflyweight
The Boss
88Chris05
Union Cane
Rowley
Mind the windows Tino.
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Primo Carnera - Page 2 Empty Primo Carnera

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:25 am

First topic message reminder :

Inspired by JBW's thread on boxing and politics, I thought I would share something that I read about over the weekend. You may or may not find it interesting but here you go anyway.

During the Second World War, the Italians were coming under pressure in North Africa from Allied forces who were pushing them back towards Tripoli. The Allies were using a mixture of British, Indian and some black South African soldiers who were making relatively easy progress against an Italian army that was both under-prepared and unwilling to put up much of a fight. The Italian leadership was concerned about protecting their North African teritory, and needed to do something to boost morale.

So, enter Mussolini himself with a grand plan to reassert the Fascist manhood amongst his beleaguered troops. Who does he roll out? None other than Primo Carnera, former World Heavyweight Champion, and Italian legend. So poor old Primo gets sent to North Africa to make a propaganda film ordered by Il Duce himself. The Italian army set up a boxing ring and ordered a fight between big Primo and a captured Allied prisoner of war.

The POW was a 6 foot 3 inch black South African called Kay Masaki who had been captured in the Allied offensive over previous weeks. Now Kay Masaki might have been a big chap, but he had never set foot in a boxing ring before. He was picked mainly because Mussolini wanted to show how the Fascist Italian man was physically superior to African negroes, trusting that a reinforcement of this sentiment would inspire the Italian army to greater efforts. The camera started to roll and sure enough, Primo took control and knocked Masaki down early. But, the African prisoner was made of sterner stuff than that and actually came roaring back to land a knockout punch of his own, rendering Carnera completely unconscious! Details of what happened afterwards are sketchy, but I guess you probably wouldn't have wanted to be Kay Masaki that day having just upset Mussolini.

And what of poor old Primo. He kills Ernie Shaaf in a fight, and then goes on to be derided as a phoney champion who was allegedly the beneficiary of heavy mob influence over his career. Not only that, he was then knocked out by a novice POW in North Africa.

A sad and ignominious tale for a much maligned champion.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Primo Carnera - Page 2 Empty Re: Primo Carnera

Post by Union Cane Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:20 am

"Its quality."

N. J. Enfield - The Times Literary Supplement.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:02 pm

Union Cane wrote:You'd better stay clear of Bert Sugar's Boxing's Greatest Fighters then Jeff, it is full of such errors.

Is that why the late great Sugar was expelled from the boxing writer's of America?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 03 Apr 2012, 4:33 pm

[quote="JabMachineMK2"][quote="ShahenshahG"]
88Chris05 wrote:The book is called "schooled and dominated by people who destroy"

and the sequel, 'schooled, dominated, destroyed but robbed... a layman's guide to the biggest robberies since ronnie briggs and mat brinks did their stuff'

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 03 Apr 2012, 4:44 pm

milkyboy wrote:and the sequel, 'schooled, dominated, destroyed but robbed... a layman's guide to the biggest robberies since ronnie briggs and mat brinks did their stuff'

laughing

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 03 Apr 2012, 4:48 pm

[quote="milkyboy"][quote="JabMachineMK2"]
ShahenshahG wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:The book is called "schooled and dominated by people who destroy"

and the sequel, 'schooled, dominated, destroyed but robbed... a layman's guide to the biggest robberies since ronnie briggs and mat brinks did their stuff'

And of course the prequel. My mum told me she was a neutered referral which didnt work because of poor judgement, we need more neutered referrals so there wont be robberies anymore.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 03 Apr 2012, 4:51 pm

I miss Waingro, there, I said it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 03 Apr 2012, 4:52 pm

They grow up, and leave the nest Rowley, its part and parcel of life. I'm sure hes a chip of the old block and growing a gut as we speak. Be proud

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 03 Apr 2012, 5:00 pm

True Shah, does not mean the parting does not hurt, might do a poll in tribute to him. Something along the lines of how quality is Haye

A bit

A bit more

A lot

A hell of a lot

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 03 Apr 2012, 5:06 pm

See he is already fading away from your memory - theres no sign of imo in your post. However we have genuinely been missing the captain and colonial and windy seems to have done a runner also.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 03 Apr 2012, 5:13 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:However we have genuinely been missing the captain and colonial and windy seems to have done a runner also.

It's since I was made a mod, basically I delete anyone who knows more than me, chris and manos are next, the problem is that there is a strong possibility there will only be me left on here eventually but I tend not to plan that far in advance.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 03 Apr 2012, 5:15 pm

rowley wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:However we have genuinely been missing the captain and colonial and windy seems to have done a runner also.

It's since I was made a mod, basically I delete anyone who knows more than me, chris and manos are next, the problem is that there is a strong possibility there will only be me left on here eventually but I tend not to plan that far in advance.

Why is Tino still about?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 03 Apr 2012, 5:15 pm

Thats why you removed waingro first then.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 03 Apr 2012, 5:16 pm

You understand the plan perfectly shah, can't do everyone at once, will get done off adam, is a gradual process.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 03 Apr 2012, 5:26 pm

how come i'm still here jeff... i'm feeling unappreciated.

i miss waingro too, and unashamedly so. I feel, we've been.... robbed of him

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 09 Mar 2016, 12:27 pm

cheers Tino for linking this thread. I'd forgot how good it was. Smile

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 09 Mar 2016, 12:32 pm

spencerclarke wrote:cheers Tino for linking this thread.  I'd forgot how good it was. Smile

You're welcome mate.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Mar 2016, 12:59 pm

ANYWAY....tremendous article Tina, even the derision aimed at my Bradley Pryce article (which I still maintain was actually about Kell Brook (should Pryce step in as the proposed fight between Brook and Jennings is delayed yet again?) cannot diminish the admiration I have for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 09 Mar 2016, 1:06 pm

DAVE667 wrote:ANYWAY....tremendous article Tina, even the derision aimed at my Bradley Pryce article (which I still maintain was actually about Kell Brook (should Pryce step in as the proposed fight between Brook and Jennings is delayed yet again?) cannot diminish the admiration I have for you.

I can't believe I derided your Bradley Pryce article, Serial?

Of the 3 responses, I'm fairly certain I wasn't one of them.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 09 Mar 2016, 1:25 pm

On the theme of Mussolini and Carnera: Mussolini put his brother in charge of the Italian boxing commission (which led to charges he was running boxing in Italy).

After Italy invaded Abyssinia (now Ethiopia) Mike Jacobs seized the opportunity to match Joe Louis - then an up-and-coming fighter - with Carnera. Some felt Carnera - who'd been decked out in a black shirt by the Duce (after dedicating his title-winning effort to him) - symbolised an 'aggressive Italy' while Louis took on the role of Abyssinia.

Not for the first time, Mussolini was left aggrieved when Louis pulverised the 'Ambling Alp'.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Mar 2016, 4:15 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:ANYWAY....tremendous article Tina, even the derision aimed at my Bradley Pryce article (which I still maintain was actually about Kell Brook (should Pryce step in as the proposed fight between Brook and Jennings is delayed yet again?) cannot diminish the admiration I have for you.

I can't believe I derided your Bradley Pryce article, Serial?

Of the 3 responses, I'm fairly certain I wasn't one of them.
Derision by omission, mate!

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 09 Mar 2016, 11:12 pm

There is in fact that little on Kay Masaki that this thread comes up 6th when you Google his name!

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Thu 10 Mar 2016, 8:17 pm

I thought Carnera fought for the resistance during the war?

The one thing the Mob hate is an idealist, communist or fascist, as it limits opportunities for corruption.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 10 Mar 2016, 8:39 pm

hazharrison wrote:On the theme of Mussolini and Carnera: Mussolini put his brother in charge of the Italian boxing commission (which led to charges he was running boxing in Italy).

After Italy invaded Abyssinia (now Ethiopia) Mike Jacobs seized the opportunity to match Joe Louis - then an up-and-coming fighter - with Carnera. Some felt Carnera - who'd been decked out in a black shirt by the Duce (after dedicating his title-winning effort to him) - symbolised an 'aggressive Italy' while Louis took on the role of Abyssinia.

Not for the first time, Mussolini was left aggrieved when Louis pulverised the 'Ambling Alp'.

Have you also read Randy Roberts' book on Joe Louis?

If not it goes into a lot of detail on that, very interesting read.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2