The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations

+22
George Carlin
funnyExiledScot
Rory_Gallagher
Barney McGrew did it
gowershowerpower
Comfort
Biltong
tigertattie
dummy_half
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
beshocked
RuggerRadge2611
EnglishReign
wickedwasp
sugarNspikes
slartibartfast
glamorganalun
westisbest
gowales
rodders
Notch
maestegmafia
26 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 16 ]
Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 40 ]
Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 28 ]
Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 31 ]
Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 20 ]
Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 13 ]
Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 20 ]
Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 37 ]
Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 55 ]
Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 9 ]
Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 276

Poll closed

Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Empty Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations

Post by maestegmafia Wed 04 Apr 2012, 7:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Lets look at who the board rate as the best Scrum Halfs possible for the Lions next year.

Pick Three Scrum Halfs from the Poll below.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Empty Re: Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations

Post by Biltong Thu 05 Apr 2012, 11:13 am

Comfort wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
Comfort wrote:Bill - sometimes, I wonder why i even bother with my other eye. Wink

before anything gets started and goes too off-topic,im going to leave it at this, that old saying...

forwards win you games, the backs decide by how much.

Comfort, these days the referee decides by how much. Rolling Eyes

well actually, i suppose that should be more along the lines of "The ballboy wins you games, the TMO decides by how much" if you're a welsh fan! Laugh
Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 438_lol I have seen that one work for most teams, just not for SA. Cry
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations - Page 2 Empty Re: Scrumhalf Choices of the Home Nations

Post by Comfort Thu 05 Apr 2012, 11:16 am

I still think theres a global referreing conspiracy to repay Wales after Warbs was incorrectly sent off costing them the world cup (they would definitely have beaten NZ in the final - pffft). Thats why we won the grandslam dont you know Whistle

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 05 Apr 2012, 11:19 am

Comfort wrote:I still think theres a global referreing conspiracy to repay Wales after Warbs was incorrectly sent off costing them the world cup (they would definitely have beaten NZ in the final - pffft). Thats why we won the grandslam dont you know Whistle

Well it makes sense now that you mention it. Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 05 Apr 2012, 12:50 pm

how come no one has mentioned "devalued" GS yet!!!

Wales were rubbish, everyone else was just rubbisher (I think I've invented a new word)

Now I'm off to hide before the entire Welsh nation come after me!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 05 Apr 2012, 12:53 pm

The question tigertattie, is who was the rubbishest ?(another new word Rolling Eyes )
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 05 Apr 2012, 12:58 pm

I don't think there are many former scrum halfs contributing above.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:05 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I don't think there are many former scrum halfs contributing above.

I'm certainly not a scrum half. I was a winger though. However none of my team mates or coaches knew and from an early age my 17st frame was always press ganged into the front row by ignorant coaches.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:13 pm

beshocked wrote:
EnglishReign wrote:Ben Spencer and Dan Robson have more about them than most on that list. Barely any club experience though, let alone international.

EnglishReign I don't know much about Dan Robson. He doesn't seem to have played for you much at all.

Ben Spencer has played an awful lot more than him.

Just checked the stats

Spencer started 4, replacement in 2 in the HC for Saracens
In comparison Robson wasn't even in the Gloucester HC squad.

In the AP Spencer has had 10 times more game time than Robson.

I don't think 21 appearances for Spencer in a season including all HC games as well as Saxons is barely any club experience! This of course is coupled with his Saxon and U20s appearances.

Fair enough, didn't know all the facts. Only ever seen Spencer play for the Saxons.

Robson has only featured in U20 matches but made a late appearance against Wasps on Sunday for Glaws. He'll probably be Cowan's back-up next season.

Was just saying they both look decent.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:22 pm

I'm surprised that the Wales replacements SH's are lower than the Irish replacements tbh. How the hell has O'Leary or Reddan gotten so many votes?! Lee Dickson is an average player, doing a good job for England because of injury. When the other players are back on form he probably won't even be in the squad.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:25 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I don't think there are many former scrum halfs contributing above.

I'm certainly not a scrum half. I was a winger though. However none of my team mates or coaches knew and from an early age my 17st frame was always press ganged into the front row by ignorant coaches.
Ha ha ha..!

It is a very interesting position and quick ball is not the be all of scrum half play. Though it is an important part.

A big part of scrum half play is to confuse the opposition backrow into not knowing what you or your flyhalf will do next.

Quick ball can allow your ten more time to out Whit the opposition defensive line but at nine you have to also make sure that the opposition backrow are too committed to either you or a ruck so that your team are less likely to get turned over.

Phillips two step technique can be very useful in tying up backrows. Not all the time but certainly in some phases.

The absolutely most important thing is to make sure you don't confuse your own backrow as you might get yourself in trouble.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:40 pm

Maes

One of Wales most effective moves in the 6Ns was when Phillips took a line-out tap moving towards the tail of the line, and ran across before either turning the corner or firing a flat pass to either Roberts or Faletau coming from deep. The threat that MP poses as a carrier means that the line-out tail gunner is held up, so your big ball carriers can go at the 10-12 channel.

So, while Phillips may not always be the best distributor (and he's a lot less bad than he's frequently accused of being), he does bring other assets that make him very valuable to the team. And as I said up-thread, he's probably the best 'bad ball' scrum half in the world, because he has the power and physique to stand up to the on-rushing defenders.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:44 pm

I only voted for two scrum halfs, as I really do not know who deserves the third spot, and I think it is clear who will have the number one spot. I voted for Phillips and Murray. Both are similar players in style, and they are the front runners IMO.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:50 pm

beshocked wrote:In my opinion I think all the scrum halves in this 6 nations were average.

For a flanker to be perceived as the 1st choice scrum half for the Lions things must be bad!

Also for Youngs to be seen as most people's 2nd choice also shows this. He is the potential to be class but his form in the 6 nations was very poor bar yet another cameo against tired legs as a replacement.

Scrum half is a real problem position in my opinion.

I completely agree. The Scottish options can all be excellent on their day, but each has struggled to maintain form over the last season. Youngs is a match winner, but has not had a good season overall. Phillips can be awesome, but his general passing game isn't top notch.

When you think that Australia will have Genia on the pitch, I think it's a certainty that it's one position in which we'll have second best. Our best bet in my view is for Ben Youngs to rediscover top form. At the top of his game he's exceptional. Phillips to come off the bench.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:51 pm

Phillips seemed to play well against (possibly outplay) Du Preez who was touted by many as the best SH in the world during the 09 lions tour!

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 05 Apr 2012, 1:52 pm

The reason I didn't pick a scottish scrum half as my third choice, is I don't even know who the first choice for Scotland is!

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 05 Apr 2012, 2:01 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:The reason I didn't pick a scottish scrum half as my third choice, is I don't even know who the first choice for Scotland is!

Neither does Robinson. Blair was in form for Edinburgh but for reasons best known to himself Cusiter started the 1st game of the 6N despite not playing as well as Blair.

We can't allow ourselves to be too surprised since Parks started that game too.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 05 Apr 2012, 2:52 pm

I don't think that it's a NH position of weakness as much as there isn't really an obvious second choice to Philips at present. For what it's worth (in no real order):

1. Philips

Crab, step, dither, shout, glacially slow ball. I am from the old school who believe 9s should be quick ball merchants (Rob Jones, Howley, Armstrong) and so I will never prefer his style of play.

That said, he does score tries, so clearly he has an eye to see the available attacking line and that cannot be prized highly enough. But if we want him to be a flanker, let's stick 6 on his back and get him into the really mucky stuff - I will yog if I hear that 'third flanker' tripe again. Please spare me.

His performance on the last Lions tour was exemplary, however, and he is the clear front runner for the shirt.

2. Youngs

Probably next choice when on form although needs to realise that throwing balls into the crowd, squeaking at the ref and generally acting like a pre-school teen who's been told that the Playsation has to go off is limiting his career development.

Overall traditional skillset is probably better than any of his contemporaries but his box kicking is occasionally dreadful and needs work.

3. Philips

Most improved over the past year - genuine fast ball which suits Laidlaw for Scotland. Suspect defence, however and can vanish if the pack's on the back foot.

4. Cusiter

Frustrates me hugely. He has the potential to challenge Philips for the shirt and was a brilliant hinge for Hodgson for the 2005 Lions (played every dirttracker game, Lions won every one) and is the most fearless in defence - he has concussed himself at least twice dropping lock forwards.

Has never quite got back his Perpignon form - not quite sure what is wrong. He's not playing badly this season but has never quite got the razzle dazzle back. Maybe other Scotland fans will disagree.

5. Murray

Have only real seen him where his pack was dominant so it's hard for me to tell as I don't focus on him week in, week out. Always thought he was the natural successor to Stringer and still think he is. Reputation is really growing.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 05 Apr 2012, 2:56 pm

You might wanna change 3's name

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 05 Apr 2012, 3:28 pm

George Carlin wrote:I don't think that it's a NH position of weakness as much as there isn't really an obvious second choice to Philips at present. For what it's worth (in no real order):

1. Philips

Crab, step, dither, shout, glacially slow ball. I am from the old school who believe 9s should be quick ball merchants (Rob Jones, Howley, Armstrong) and so I will never prefer his style of play.

That said, he does score tries, so clearly he has an eye to see the available attacking line and that cannot be prized highly enough. But if we want him to be a flanker, let's stick 6 on his back and get him into the really mucky stuff - I will yog if I hear that 'third flanker' tripe again. Please spare me.

His performance on the last Lions tour was exemplary, however, and he is the clear front runner for the shirt.

2. Youngs

Probably next choice when on form although needs to realise that throwing balls into the crowd, squeaking at the ref and generally acting like a pre-school teen who's been told that the Playsation has to go off is limiting his career development.

Overall traditional skillset is probably better than any of his contemporaries but his box kicking is occasionally dreadful and needs work.

3. Blair

Most improved over the past year - genuine fast ball which suits Laidlaw for Scotland. Suspect defence, however and can vanish if the pack's on the back foot.

4. Cusiter

Frustrates me hugely. He has the potential to challenge Philips for the shirt and was a brilliant hinge for Hodgson for the 2005 Lions (played every dirttracker game, Lions won every one) and is the most fearless in defence - he has concussed himself at least twice dropping lock forwards.

Has never quite got back his Perpignon form - not quite sure what is wrong. He's not playing badly this season but has never quite got the razzle dazzle back. Maybe other Scotland fans will disagree.

5. Murray

Have only real seen him where his pack was dominant so it's hard for me to tell as I don't focus on him week in, week out. Always thought he was the natural successor to Stringer and still think he is. Reputation is really growing.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 05 Apr 2012, 3:28 pm

gowales wrote:You might wanna change 3's name
Brainfart - cheers feller. OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 05 Apr 2012, 4:56 pm

Chris Cusiter had a poor 6 Ns (he was not alone!) but he did look sharp last Friday for the Warriors. Mike Blair looks to have re-captured his pre- last Lions tour form so he gets my vote.
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 05 Apr 2012, 6:05 pm

Not the zippiest bunch there, eh? Maybe we can import Mauro Bergamasco for the Lions?????

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by drsambo1928 Fri 06 Apr 2012, 9:06 pm

Phillips the definate starter with Youngs on the bench and Murray reserve.

drsambo1928

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 07 Apr 2012, 9:24 am

Youngs & Murray are definates for me. Youngs tnrives on the hard pitches of Aus and on form is World class (although he has struggled for England his form for Tigers has been good).

Although really not a fan I'd go with Phillips as he offers something different to the other two.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2