The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saracens player to the Jets

+2
Thomond
asdral225
6 posters

Go down

Saracens player to the Jets Empty Saracens player to the Jets

Post by asdral225 Thu 5 Apr - 17:55

Saracens lock Haydn Smith says he will be realising a “childhood dream” when he departs for the United States on Friday, having defied seemingly overwhelming odds to land a rookie contract with the New York Jets to play in the NFL next season.
Smith, 26, will become the first professional rugby player to play top-class American football, having signed a three-year deal worth $355,000 (£223,400) per season with the Jets after being plucked from virtual obscurity during a two-week trial last month.
Saracens director of rugby Mark McCall gave Smith permission to attend the trial thinking little more would come of it and was stunned when the 26 year-old returned with three offers to play in the NFL.
Smith, who was born in Penrith in Australia but also played college basketball for Metropolitan State in Denver, has been signed to play the offence position of ‘tight-end’ after the Jets were hugely impressed by the agility and speed of the 6ft 7ins forward during their fitness tests.
“The most prominent test is the 40-yard dash and some agility drills, like a three-cone drill and a 20-yard drill. I managed to run 4.75 seconds for the 40-yard dash, which turned some heads,” said Smith, who joined Saracens in 2008.

asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Saracens player to the Jets Empty Re: Saracens player to the Jets

Post by Thomond Thu 5 Apr - 18:00

I don't think it will work out but it will be interesting to see how he does and Leeds Rhinos player Kevin Sinfield might be joining the NFL too but he will be more of a punter/kicker.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Thu 5 Apr - 18:35

Why not? He's played college basketball and rugby. Gates only played basketball and he's turned into one of the best TE's in the league.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 5 Apr - 18:40

I didn't think he was that good a rugby player and his hands weren't great for a rugby player, it should improve in the NFL but I wonder if it will work.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 5 Apr - 23:34

Thomond wrote:I didn't think he was that good a rugby player and his hands weren't great for a rugby player, it should improve in the NFL but I wonder if it will work.
I've never seen him play as I don't follow rugby at all, but I imagine that during the trials he'll have had to do some pass catching so his hands can't be too bad either that or they believe he's got potential, at least he should be good for tackling when Sanchez/Tebow turn it over.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Fri 6 Apr - 23:03

Be interesting to see how he does. Good luck to him.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 11 Apr - 14:46

I didn't think he was that good a rugby player and his hands weren't great for a rugby player, it should improve in the NFL but I wonder if it will work.

He was used a fair bit in the lineout so his catching shouldn't be that bad (catching a ball at speed above your head whilst under pressure). He's an athletic lump of a second row so should in theory do alright. Don't think he'll set the world alight over there but should do well enough to get some game time.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down