The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are KERS & DRS good for F1?

+5
cosicave
Fernando
Mad for Chelsea
Kramxel
Adam D
9 posters

Go down

Are KERS & DRS Good for the Sport?

Are KERS & DRS good for F1? Vote_lcap27%Are KERS & DRS good for F1? Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 3 ]
Are KERS & DRS good for F1? Vote_lcap73%Are KERS & DRS good for F1? Vote_rcap 73% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 11

Are KERS & DRS good for F1? Empty Are KERS & DRS good for F1?

Post by Guest Thu 31 Mar 2011, 12:27 pm

What are peoples views on this?
Is F1 becoming more like a computer game when a driver can hit their 'boost' button?
Does it take something away from the skill of the driver?
Or are they good for F1 and give it something new and exciting?

Back to top Go down

Are KERS & DRS good for F1? Empty Re: Are KERS & DRS good for F1?

Post by Adam D Thu 31 Mar 2011, 12:33 pm

It always seems strange to me that cars are always being improved with new features but then regulations come in to tone the car down.

They should just stick with one set of rules and only alter then every 3 years to allow designers to get the best advantage over a couple of seasons before having to start again.

I voted no by the way!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramxel Thu 31 Mar 2011, 12:55 pm

I haven't voted as there's not an option that best fits my opinion.

In and off themselves they are great idea's and innovations that certainly do fit in the F1 world. HOWEVER not in the capacity they have been brought in.

They are currently being used as a bandage to a far bigger problem - poor circuit design, not enough regulation in the right area's of car design (all kudos to the engineer's that work around the new regualtions as they are passed down to them) - that all leads to fewer opportunites and a harder time fo overtaking.

Solve these issues and KERS and DRS would be a fabulous boost to the sport, putting it back up there as the pinancle of motorsport engineering (rather than motosport triage)

Kramxel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 31 Mar 2011, 1:12 pm

Track design is the main problem, Australia was a good race (not a classic, but enjoyable with enough overtaking), but then it always is. The test for KERS and DRS will come at the more boring tracks. If it makes for more exciting races there, than yes it's good for F1.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 31 Mar 2011, 3:17 pm

the problem with the drs and kers is that. the drs was brought in to help overtaking at 2 points of the track. surely they should be able to use it all around the track mainly due to anyone trying to overtake with it is usually defended against the guy ahead with the kers button neglecting the point of the drs.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by cosicave Thu 31 Mar 2011, 4:01 pm

Kramxel's post most closely matches my feelings. I was very reluctant to vote because there was no option matching my feelings either. However, I eventually decided on 'no'.

What bothers me is that these things are really only gimmicks because the FIA become too involved, removing at least some of the creativity which a driver might otherwise add. For instance, KERS need not be limited in the way it is. And whilst I agree that the DRS (if we're going to have such a gimmick) should only be available to a driver following another within one second, why limit it to certain parts of the track? - This removes at least some potential for the driver to use it differently.

Some of these ideas might be good if they were better managed but the FIA's insistence on dictating to drivers reduces the potential positives and risks further alienating the public who find it less easy to understand.

©
cosicave
cosicave

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Thu 31 Mar 2011, 9:29 pm

Well after doing some Googling to read what it was all about I decided to vote 'no'.

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by andy_h Thu 31 Mar 2011, 9:47 pm

makes it more interesting but in fairness what happend to good old racing! need boost to over take people! its wrong. but i suppose because its in massive spotlights all around the globe it makes for good entertainment but it shouldnt be this way! should scrap it! if you were driving an F1 car and looked at your steering wheel now you wouldnt know where to look. so many buttons for no purpose at all! need some good old racing without any silly buttons i reckon!

andy_h

Back to top Go down

Post by cosicave Tue 05 Apr 2011, 3:59 pm

(I have made similar points elsewhere but Andy_h's last comment means they are now relevant here).

KERS and DRS could be good, yet in the 'interests' of keeping a competitive field of cars, they are heavily restricted. In my opinion, just like our modernised and emasculated tracks, these restrictions actually fly in the face of the perennial criticism levelled at F1: not enough overtaking.

Those not taken in by the superficial use of technology are likely to see it is mere gimmickry. If they really want more overtaking - more rabbits from the hat; they must make the hat bigger or the rabbits smaller.

Big hat = lots of rabbits:
KERS could genuinely help sell F1 (politically) if the technology was less restricted, but of course this leaves the possibility of a less competitive grid. On the other hand, DRS could genuinely spice up the show with almost nothing to lose! - It has the potential to help provide some of what the audience wants (overtaking) if less restrictively regulated (i.e. to particular parts of a track). This is such an inexpensive and simple thing for all, and there can surely be little argument that it threatens parity between teams.

The present restrictions on these technologies render them gimmicks; little more than a magician's pretty girl to distract a gullible audience.

But use these technologies properly and we could be on to a good thing!
cosicave
cosicave

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 23 Apr 2011, 1:42 pm

Being something of a "purist" I'd rather not see boost buttons and driver-adjustable gadgets on cars.

I feel the on-track action should be a result of the drivers' skill, as far as possible.

I don't mind the pit crew adjusting the wings, if necessary, but I think the drivers should have as few distractions in the cockpit as possible, so they can get on with the business of racing.

Given how hard it can be to overtake, I suppose they're something of a necessary evil at the moment and I would say they're helping to bring about more exciting racing. After seeing how the first few races have gone, I'm now not sure whether the restrictions placed on KERS and DRS is a good thing or not. I have the feeling if they were unrestricted, the drivers would use them to cancel out the advantages they give.

dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Apr 2011, 10:57 am

yep they are good for f1.

f1 is more than racing , its also an industry that pushing technological boundaries. If it was like other motorsports where equipment is the same we wouldnt get the evolotion we see in f1. Its highly competitive and adding the drs and kers allows for more racing even though we may have a disparity in the cars racing abilities

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down